Is a possible problem in Bluemix to download the source code of an App?


Juan Antonio Breña Moral <bren at juanantonio.info...>
 

Good afternoon,

I was doing some tests in a Local Instance, PWS & Bluemix to test the REST Method:
http://apidocs.cloudfoundry.org/226/apps/downloads_the_bits_for_an_app.html

and all goes fine except in Bluemix. Testing on Bluemix I receive the following error:

1) Cloud Foundry Upload Static Apps Create a Static App, Upload 1MB
oad Zip & Remove app:
Error: connect ETIMEDOUT 10.1.129.7:443
at Object.exports._errnoException (util.js:860:11)
at exports._exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:883:20)
at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1063:14)

What is the problem?

Test:
https://github.com/prosociallearnEU/cf-nodejs-client/blob/master/test/lib/model/cloudcontroller/UploadStaticAppsTests.js#L289-L343

Juan Antonio


Matthew Sykes <matthew.sykes@...>
 

Look closely at the IP address in your error message. You're targeting a
private IP. Unless you're part of that deployment, I'm guessing you won't
be able to access that address.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 7:17 AM, Juan Antonio Breña Moral <
bren(a)juanantonio.info> wrote:

Good afternoon,

I was doing some tests in a Local Instance, PWS & Bluemix to test the REST
Method:
http://apidocs.cloudfoundry.org/226/apps/downloads_the_bits_for_an_app.html

and all goes fine except in Bluemix. Testing on Bluemix I receive the
following error:

1) Cloud Foundry Upload Static Apps Create a Static App, Upload 1MB
oad Zip & Remove app:
Error: connect ETIMEDOUT 10.1.129.7:443
at Object.exports._errnoException (util.js:860:11)
at exports._exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:883:20)
at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1063:14)

What is the problem?

Test:

https://github.com/prosociallearnEU/cf-nodejs-client/blob/master/test/lib/model/cloudcontroller/UploadStaticAppsTests.js#L289-L343

Juan Antonio


--
Matthew Sykes
matthew.sykes(a)gmail.com


Juan Antonio Breña Moral <bren at juanantonio.info...>
 

Hi Matthew,

Yes but it is the response given when I execute the method in the CC located in bluemix, I mean.

Juan Antonio


Matthew Sykes <matthew.sykes@...>
 

Sure. I'm guessing you got a redirect from the cloud controller that points
to a private blob store that external clients don't have access to. That
blob store endpoint likely works fine for the cloud foundry components but
isn't something you can access.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 7:35 AM, Juan Antonio Breña Moral <
bren(a)juanantonio.info> wrote:

Hi Matthew,

Yes but it is the response given when I execute the method in the CC
located in bluemix, I mean.

Juan Antonio


--
Matthew Sykes
matthew.sykes(a)gmail.com


Juan Antonio Breña Moral <bren at juanantonio.info...>
 

Hi,

I am going to test using another Internet connection.

Juan Antonio


Brian Martin <bkmartin@...>
 

As Matt indicated, the Bluemix blob store is not accessible except by the
system components of Bluemix.

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Juan Antonio Breña Moral <
bren(a)juanantonio.info> wrote:

Hi,

I am going to test using another Internet connection.

Juan Antonio


Juan Antonio Breña Moral <bren at juanantonio.info...>
 

Hi,

yes, I tried using 2 mobile internet connections and an ADSL connection to run the test in order to avoid any Proxy problem and the issue continued so in bluemix, the blob store is disconnected but in PWS is enabled.

But, what is the purpose for this kind disconnection?

I am going to explain a possible scenario:

A multinational has a a popular App which it runs in some regions deployed in Bluemix. so the IT team deploy the same application in several cells. with the time, the App evolves and the new version is deployed in a first region as pilot. In some cases, some companies to avoid lost the track of source code, validates the code deployed not the code stored in the private repository so using PAAS technology you could download the code certificated and later deploy in a new region.

What is your opinion?

Juan Antonio


Gwenn Etourneau
 

Maybe you raise this issue to bluemix itself.



On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 2:26 AM, Juan Antonio Breña Moral <
bren(a)juanantonio.info> wrote:

Hi,

yes, I tried using 2 mobile internet connections and an ADSL connection to
run the test in order to avoid any Proxy problem and the issue continued so
in bluemix, the blob store is disconnected but in PWS is enabled.

But, what is the purpose for this kind disconnection?

I am going to explain a possible scenario:

A multinational has a a popular App which it runs in some regions deployed
in Bluemix. so the IT team deploy the same application in several cells.
with the time, the App evolves and the new version is deployed in a first
region as pilot. In some cases, some companies to avoid lost the track of
source code, validates the code deployed not the code stored in the private
repository so using PAAS technology you could download the code
certificated and later deploy in a new region.

What is your opinion?

Juan Antonio


Leonardo K. Shikida <shikida@...>
 

I think this community is a good place for questions regarding bluemix

https://developer.ibm.com/answers/

[]

Leo

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Gwenn Etourneau <getourneau(a)pivotal.io>
wrote:

Maybe you raise this issue to bluemix itself.



On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 2:26 AM, Juan Antonio Breña Moral <
bren(a)juanantonio.info> wrote:

Hi,

yes, I tried using 2 mobile internet connections and an ADSL connection
to run the test in order to avoid any Proxy problem and the issue continued
so in bluemix, the blob store is disconnected but in PWS is enabled.

But, what is the purpose for this kind disconnection?

I am going to explain a possible scenario:

A multinational has a a popular App which it runs in some regions
deployed in Bluemix. so the IT team deploy the same application in several
cells. with the time, the App evolves and the new version is deployed in a
first region as pilot. In some cases, some companies to avoid lost the
track of source code, validates the code deployed not the code stored in
the private repository so using PAAS technology you could download the code
certificated and later deploy in a new region.

What is your opinion?

Juan Antonio


Stephan Wissel <stephan@...>
 

Some consideration:

1. CloudFoundry / Bluemix doesn't necessarily store source code if your
language is a compiled language (Java, C# etc). For interpreted languages
like JavaScript/Node.js you are lucky
2. The Bluemix UI allows accessing the files stored on a server (not
very efficient for re-deploments), but there's a cf plugin called cf
download -> check the plug-in directory for that:
http://plugins.cloudfoundry.org/ui/ (I wrote about plugins here:
http://notessensei.com/blog/2015/08/theres-a-plug-in-for-that-getting-started-with-cf-plug-ins.html
3. In Bluemix you would be better off with a build and deploy pipeline.
You can have one pipeline with multiple deploy steps to all targets. Keeps
them nicely in sync



Create a nice day!
Stephan H. Wissel

Phone: +65 96673269
Blog <http://www.wissel.net/blog> Twitter <http://twitter.com/notessensei>
Google+ <https://plus.google.com/114116118906495091782/about> Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/stephan.wissel> LinkedIn
<http://sg.linkedin.com/in/notessensei> Xing
<https://www.xing.com/profile/StephanH_Wissel> Sametime
<http://www.wissel.net/blog/d6plinks/SHWL-84KE8U> *Skype*

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 7:19 PM, Leonardo K. Shikida <shikida(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

I think this community is a good place for questions regarding bluemix

https://developer.ibm.com/answers/

[]

Leo

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Gwenn Etourneau <getourneau(a)pivotal.io>
wrote:

Maybe you raise this issue to bluemix itself.



On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 2:26 AM, Juan Antonio Breña Moral <
bren(a)juanantonio.info> wrote:

Hi,

yes, I tried using 2 mobile internet connections and an ADSL connection
to run the test in order to avoid any Proxy problem and the issue continued
so in bluemix, the blob store is disconnected but in PWS is enabled.

But, what is the purpose for this kind disconnection?

I am going to explain a possible scenario:

A multinational has a a popular App which it runs in some regions
deployed in Bluemix. so the IT team deploy the same application in several
cells. with the time, the App evolves and the new version is deployed in a
first region as pilot. In some cases, some companies to avoid lost the
track of source code, validates the code deployed not the code stored in
the private repository so using PAAS technology you could download the code
certificated and later deploy in a new region.

What is your opinion?

Juan Antonio


Juan Antonio Breña Moral <bren at juanantonio.info...>
 

Hi Stephen,

1.
I agree with you that CF subsystems are not the best place to get the sources. Every IT team should be responsible of the code deployed but the method is available to use, I mean.