abacus collector doesn't work

MaggieMeng

Hi

I am trying to run abacus in my cloudfoundry env. However after successfully push all abacus applications into CF, I found following error from some of the applications:

dmadmin(a)dmadmin-Lenovo-Product:~/cloudfoundry/cf-abacus/cf-abacus$ cf logs abacus-usage-aggregator
Connected, tailing logs for app abacus-usage-aggregator in org cf / space space as admin...

2015-11-04T04:33:36.47-0500 [App/0] OUT 2015-11-04T09:33:36.469Z e-abacus-request 46 Request error { message: 'connect ECONNREFUSED',
2015-11-04T04:33:36.47-0500 [App/0] OUT code: 'ECONNREFUSED',
2015-11-04T04:33:36.47-0500 [App/0] OUT errno: 'ECONNREFUSED',
2015-11-04T04:33:36.47-0500 [App/0] OUT syscall: 'connect' } - Error: connect ECONNREFUSED
2015-11-04T04:33:36.47-0500 [App/0] OUT at exports._errnoException (util.js:746:11)
2015-11-04T04:33:36.47-0500 [App/0] OUT at TCPConnectWrap.afterConnect [as oncomplete] (net.js:1010:19)

Same as abacus-usage-collector. "npm run demo" also failed which may due to this error. Could it be CF configuration issue? How could I enable verbose log or debug? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Maggie

Hristo Iliev

Hi,

Do you run this in bosh-lite environment of on hosted CF?

In case you have bosh-lite env you have to create a security group that enables the different micro-services to talk to each other. We already provide a "setup" script [1] and sec.group definition [2]

Judging from the rights you have (admin) you must be using bosh-lite, but if this is not the case you may need to change some of the collector's environment variables [3]. This is especially useful in case your Abacus pipeline runs on a different sub-domain than the default CF domain.

[1] https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/cf-abacus/blob/master/bin/cfsetup
[2] https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/cf-abacus/blob/master/etc/secgroup.json
[2] https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/cf-abacus/blob/master/lib/metering/collector/manifest.yml#L9-L14

MaggieMeng

Hi, Hristo

I think I am using the bosh-lite. And I tried to change the environment variable as below. But I still got the same error. Which application does collector want to connect?

dmadmin(a)dmadmin-Lenovo-Product:~/cloudfoundry/cf-abacus/cf-abacus$ cf env abacus-usage-collector
Getting env variables for app abacus-usage-collector in org test / space space as admin...
OK

System-Provided:
User-Provided:
CONF: default
COUCHDB: abacus-dbserver.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com
DEBUG: e-abacus-*
EUREKA: abacus-eureka-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com
METER: abacus-usage-meter.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com
PROVISIONING: abacus-provisioning-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com
SECURED: false

dmadmin(a)dmadmin-Lenovo-Product:~/cloudfoundry/cf-abacus/cf-abacus$ cf apps
Getting apps in org test / space space as admin...
OK

name requested state instances memory disk urls
abacus-account-stub started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-account-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com
abacus-usage-reporting started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-reporting.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com
abacus-usage-meter started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-meter.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com
abacus-usage-accumulator started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-accumulator.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com
abacus-dbserver started 1/1 1G 512M abacus-dbserver.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com
abacus-eureka-stub started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-eureka-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com
abacus-usage-rate started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-rate.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com
abacus-authserver-stub started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-authserver-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com
abacus-provisioning-stub started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-provisioning-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com
abacus-usage-aggregator started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-aggregator.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com
abacus-usage-collector started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-collector.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com

dmadmin(a)dmadmin-Lenovo-Product:~/cloudfoundry/cf-abacus/cf-abacus$ cf security-group abacus
Getting info for security group abacus as admin
OK

Name abacus
Rules
[
{
"destination": "0.0.0.0/0",
"ports": "1-65535",
"protocol": "tcp"
},
{
"destination": "0.0.0.0/0",
"ports": "1-65535",
"protocol": "udp"
}
]

Organization Space
#0 test space

Thanks,
Maggie

Jean-Sebastien Delfino

Hi Maggie,

Which level of abacus are you using? Are you using the v0.0.2 release or a
specific commit from the Abacus Github repository?

You can get a more verbose log with the following env variable:
DEBUG=e-abacus-*,abacus-request,abacus-router

You can set it like this:
cf set-env abacus-usage-collector DEBUG
"e-abacus-*,abacus-request,abacus-router"
cf restage abacus-usage-collector

BTW, with the latest version of the Abacus master branch that DEBUG
variable is already set to "e-abacus-*" (log all errors) in our default CF
manifest.yml files.

Would you mind creating a Github issue including the log from the
abacus-usage-collector app with the DEBUG variable set as above? We'll take
a look.

Thanks!

- Jean-Sebastien

#0 test space

Thanks,
Maggie

MaggieMeng

Hi, Jean

The root cause is that abacus takes “https” as default protocol when connect between abacus components like abacus-eureka-stub and abacus-dbserver. But in my CF env, I didn’t have any proxy server.

It may not be an issue. But I would like to have the protocol be configurable. May you consider it as an future improvement?

Thanks a lot for your and Hristo’s help!

Thanks,
Maggie

Which level of abacus are you using? Are you using the v0.0.2 release or a specific commit from the Abacus Github repository?

You can get a more verbose log with the following env variable:
DEBUG=e-abacus-*,abacus-request,abacus-router

You can set it like this:
cf set-env abacus-usage-collector DEBUG "e-abacus-*,abacus-request,abacus-router"

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 7:48 PM, Meng, Xiangyi <xiangyi.meng(a)emc.com<mailto:xiangyi.meng(a)emc.com>> wrote:
Hi, Hristo

I think I am using the bosh-lite. And I tried to change the environment variable as below. But I still got the same error. Which application does collector want to connect?

dmadmin(a)dmadmin-Lenovo-Product:~/cloudfoundry/cf-abacus/cf-abacus$ cf env abacus-usage-collector
Getting env variables for app abacus-usage-collector in org test / space space as admin...
OK

System-Provided:
User-Provided:
CONF: default
COUCHDB: abacus-dbserver.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-dbserver.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
DEBUG: e-abacus-*
EUREKA: abacus-eureka-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-eureka-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
METER: abacus-usage-meter.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-usage-meter.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
PROVISIONING: abacus-provisioning-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-provisioning-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>

abacus-account-stub started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-account-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-account-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-usage-reporting started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-reporting.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-usage-reporting.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-usage-meter started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-meter.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-usage-meter.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-usage-accumulator started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-accumulator.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-usage-accumulator.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-dbserver started 1/1 1G 512M abacus-dbserver.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-dbserver.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-eureka-stub started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-eureka-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-eureka-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-usage-rate started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-rate.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-usage-rate.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-authserver-stub started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-authserver-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-authserver-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-provisioning-stub started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-provisioning-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-provisioning-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-usage-aggregator started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-aggregator.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-usage-aggregator.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-usage-collector started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-collector.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-usage-collector.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>

dmadmin(a)dmadmin-Lenovo-Product:~/cloudfoundry/cf-abacus/cf-abacus$ cf security-group abacus
Getting info for security group abacus as admin
OK

Name abacus
Rules
[
{
"destination": "0.0.0.0/0<http://0.0.0.0/0>",
"ports": "1-65535",
"protocol": "tcp"
},
{

#0 test space

Thanks,
Maggie

Jean-Sebastien Delfino

Hi Maggie,

Good to hear that you've been able to make progress.

You're correct that we're defaulting to https if you don't specify a
protocol in the METER, COUCHDB etc env variables.

I believe that we'll use the protocol you want if you set one. Can you try
to include a protocol in your env variables like this:
METER=http://abacus-usage-meter.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com

If that doesn't work, then we'll be happy to work with you to improve this.
Thanks!

- Jean-Sebastien

#0 test space

Thanks,
Maggie

MaggieMeng

Hi, Sebastien

Yes, the url with protocol specified works. Thanks a lot for your great help!

Regards,

#0 test space

Thanks,
Maggie