Topics

Announcement: CC API v2 Deprecation Plan

Greg Cobb

Greetings cf-dev!

The V3 Acceleration Team has been hard at work expanding the CC v3 API to cover resources that were previously only available on the v2 API. We are now ready to announce our CC V2 API Deprecation Plan.

As per the plan, we will announce the start of the v2 deprecation window at a future date. We recognize that transitioning from the v2 API will be an involved process for some clients, so we recommend starting now for resources that are available on the v3 API.

Please feel free to comment on the document, respond to this email, or message us in the #v3-acceleration-team channel on the Cloud Foundry Slack if you have any questions.

In the meantime, we are still soliciting feedback on the remaining v3 API proposals and the v3 API in general. We would like to give a shout out to the Stratos team for their in-depth notes about their experiences using v3.

Thanks!
V3 Acceleration Team

Guillaume Berche

Hi Greg,

I'd like to renew related feedback provided last october on the subject at https://lists.cloudfoundry.org/g/cf-dev/topic/26659245#8303

There are many tooling out there that currently rely on the CC API V2 (such as UIs, service brokers, provisionning tools such as terraform-provider-cf or SAP MTA...). These tooling usually leverage CC API clients [2]. Ways to reduce impacts for such tooling would be to work with client maintainers (both official, experimental and unsupported) to sync the CC API V2 deprecation with availability of CC API V3 support in clients from most widely used programming languages.

In particular, regarding the go-lang client, we had a related exchange with the CLI team at cf summit, and a related issue https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cli/issues/1481 tracks this feedback, which seems to have received positive community interest. It would be useful to hear feedback from the CLI or VAT teams on this suggestion.

On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 11:34 PM Greg Cobb <gcobb@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike Lloyd <mike@...>

Recently I had a use case to use CAPI for exporting some app information, and I struggled a bit here and there to both find a client as well as build one myself for v2. I think what could be really interesting, and thinking out loud, would be an OpenAPI 3.0 definition for v3. I think that would really help client maintainers (maybe now but definitely in the future) make the migration a bit easier for multi-language projects. I briefly looked to see if an API spec existed, but I didn't see anything.

Looking forward, having an API spec for CAPI would be very helpful even past the migration, then clients can be very easily constructed in any language.

Respectfully,

Mike Lloyd
[...]

+1, this was suggested few years ago, see https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cc-api-v3-style-guide/issues/46 for related exchanges.

I however believe that most of the complexity and associated effort in using the CC API resides in implementing workflows of API calls implementing user facing use-cases (i.e. CF CLI commands). Therefore clients may need to complement low level API facilities with high-level facilities, such as cf-java-client [1]'s cloudfoundry-operations which complements it's low-level cloudfoundry-client.

Guillaume.