Date
CF Application Runtime PMC - CLI Project Lead Call for Nominations

Dieu Cao

Hello All,

This email is overly delayed and I apologize for that.

Jay Badenhope, the Project Lead for the cf CLI team within the Application Runtime PMC, transitioned to an internal project within Pivotal in late March. We thank him for his time serving as the CLI Project Lead.

The cf CLI team, primarily located in San Francisco, now has an opening for its project lead. Project leads must be nominated by a Cloud Foundry Foundation member.

Please send nominations to me/in reply to this posting by end of day May 22nd, 2018.

If you have any questions about the role/process, please let me know.
These are described in the CFF governance documents. [1]

-Dieu Cao

CF Application Runtime PMC Lead

Re: Feedback on service instance sharing (experimental)

Lukas Lehmann

Hi Matt,

We have tested this feature in Swisscom and it works great and as expected.
Is there a timeline on your side to release this future finally?
Is there something we can further help you with testing or so?

Best regards,
Lukas

I'm pleased to announce that the ability to share service instances across orgs and spaces has been released!

In order to use this feature, please make sure you are running:
To share a service instance from one space into another, you just need to run cf share-service SERVICE-INSTANCE -s SPACE

Note that this needs to be enabled by both admins (via a feature-flag) and by the author of the service you want to share.

For more information, please check out the following docs:

I'd encourage you all to try this out with a supportive service broker (like this example broker). This feature is currently experimental (beta), so feedback at this time would be extremely valuable.

Best wishes,
The CF Services API team

--
Freundliche Grüsse

Lukas Lehmann

Re: Feedback on service instance sharing (experimental)

Matt McNeeney

Hey Lukas,

Very pleased to hear the feature is working as you expected! As things stand, the feature should be released as GA within the next couple of months, and so far we haven't received any feedback that has made us rethink about how the feature works today.

Thanks,
Matt

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 11:38 AM Lukas Lehmann <lukas92lehmann@...> wrote:
[...]

Welcome MS SQL Broker and MultiApps to CF-Extensions

Brief announce to welcome MS SQL Broker [1] and MultiApps [2] to CF-Extensions. They were successfully voted in by members of the PMC. Congrats!

The respective initial teams from Microsoft and Pivotal (MS SQL) and SAP (MultiApps) will be working with the CFF (Chris C. and others) to move initial code to cloudfoundry-incubator org.

Feel free to ping team directly (see links below) or join the #cf-extensions slack channel for updates or best :) join our monthly calls [3].

Re: CF Application Runtime PMC - CLI Project Lead Call for Nominations

Michael Maximilien

I second that nomination.

I've worked with Abby and the CLI team recently and plan on working with them on and off as an engineer again this year.

I have nothing but good things to mention.

Best,

max

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Dieu Cao <dcao@...> wrote:
Hello all,

Pivotal is nominating Abby Chau for the CF CLI Project Lead in the Application Runtime PMC.  She is currently serving as Interim Project Lead for the CLI team.

Abby Chau previously worked as a senior project manager and analyst for a higher education research firm in London where she eventually managed a team of analysts and product managers. She also spent time volunteering for Survival International, an indigenous rights organization.

Abby moved to the Bay Area in 2014. She worked at various startups including DataFox as a Lead Data Analyst, and Moovweb as an Engagement Manager, where she worked with customers including GNC, CoverFX, Epson, and John Deere on mobile development.

In a previous life, Abby worked at the Hawaii State Capitol as a legislative aide, and at the Hawaii International Film Festival. She joined Pivotal in October 2015 as a Technical Writer before making a transition to Product Manager in late 2016.

Abby holds a BA in English Literature from the University of California, Berkeley and a MA from University College London.

Any other nominations should be sent to me/in reply by end of day May 22nd, 2018.

-Dieu Cao

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 3:28 PM, Dieu Cao <dcao@...> wrote:
Hello All,

This email is overly delayed and I apologize for that.

Jay Badenhope, the Project Lead for the cf CLI team within the Application Runtime PMC, transitioned to an internal project within Pivotal in late March. We thank him for his time serving as the CLI Project Lead.

The cf CLI team, primarily located in San Francisco, now has an opening for its project lead. Project leads must be nominated by a Cloud Foundry Foundation member.

Please send nominations to me/in reply to this posting by end of day May 22nd, 2018.

If you have any questions about the role/process, please let me know.
These are described in the CFF governance documents. [1]

-Dieu Cao

CF Application Runtime PMC Lead

CF CLI v6.36.2 Released Today: Downgrades Golang to 1.9

Abby Chau

Hi all, the CF CLI team released v6.36.2 today:

Downgraded to Golang. 1.9

Due to a regression with certs in Golang 1.10, we've decided to publish a new release and downgrade our Golang version to 1.9.

This release is a tag of v6.36.1 with Golang version 1.9. When the issues have been fix in Golang, we will upgrade to 1.10.x.

Other Fixes

Let us know if you have any questions, thanks!

Best,

Abby Chau
CF Interim Product Manager - CLI

routing-release 0.178.0 released today

Shubha Anjur Tupil

Hi all,

We cut routing-release 0.178.0 today downgrading Golang from 1.10 to 1.9.

We found a breaking change in Golang 1.10 that the parsing of x509 certificates is much stricter.  Github issues on the regression here and here. Our plan is to upgrade to Golang 1.10 when a fix is released for this issue.

Side note: You might notice that there was no routing-release 0.177.0. The release is published but marked "Do Not Use" since it's a non-production ready release. We recommend skipping it.

Regards,
Routing team

upcoming CFP deadlines

Swarna Podila

I just wanted to share a few upcoming deadlines for call for papers for events that might be relevant (and interesting) for y'all in our community to consider.  The list here is sorted in the order of deadline dates.

InnerSource Day is a gathering of industry practitioners discussing real-world implementations of this community-inspired, transformational approach to software development within the enterprise. A number of companies are adopting the practices of open source to create an internal company collaboration under the rubric InnerSource. Do you have a story to share about how you’ve implemented InnerSource in your organization? We want to hear about your successes and failures to build the community and practice of InnerSource.
Submission deadline: Friday, May 25

Istio Day at OSCON
Istio is an open platform for connecting, managing, and securing microservices, providing an easy way to create a network of deployed services with load balancing, service-to-service authentication, monitoring, and more, without requiring any changes in service code. So, if you know how to leverage Istio with open source tools such as Prometheus and Zipkin, have an Istio demo, or a great story or best practice to share, we want to hear from you.
Submission deadline: Tuesday, May 29

DevOps Days Chicago
DevOpsDays Chicago brings development, operations, QA, InfoSec, management, and leadership together to discuss the culture and tools to make better organizations and products. The 2018 event will be the fifth time we have held DevOpsDays Chicago, and it should be bigger and better than ever before!
Submission deadline: Friday, June 1 (13:06 UTC)

Cloud Foundry Summit (Basel)
Well, obviously!! :-)
Cloud Foundry Summit Europe is the premier event for end users to learn the platform from those who build and use it every day. Join hundreds of developers in Basel to learn how to run apps at scale – using a platform or containers on multiple clouds.
Submission deadline: Friday, June 1 (11.59pm US Pacific)

TensorFlow is a fast, flexible, and easy to use open-source machine learning library for research and production. The TensorFlow Community Day aims to bring together contributors and users to share experiences, increase collaboration, and advance the state of open source machine learning. We're looking for 30-minute talks from the community cross-platform use cases, related open source projects, using TensorFlow in the real world and more.
Submission deadline: Monday, June 4

Cheers,
Swarna.

Re: How to access CF services from external service in aws or k8s?

nilesh.subhash.salpe@...

FYI

From: "Salpe, Nilesh Subhash" <nilesh.subhash.salpe@...>
Date: Monday, 21 May 2018 at 10:42 AM
To: "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Subject: How to access CF services from external service in aws or k8s?

Hi Guys ,

Can you please help me with questions?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50441278/how-to-access-cf-services-from-external-service-in-aws-or-k8s

Regards,

Nilesh

Istio router on container overlay network

Gabriel Rosenhouse

Hi all,

The Cloud Foundry Networking team is planning to move the Istio Router (eventual replacement for gorouter) onto the overlay network used by app containers.

If this interests you, please read our proposal here.  We welcome feedback via comments on that doc, or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Gabe & the CF Networking Team

Re: Istio router on container overlay network

Mike Youngstrom

This is exciting work.  Thanks for raising it here Gabe!

Mike

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 12:26 PM, Gabriel Rosenhouse <grosenhouse@...> wrote:
Hi all,

The Cloud Foundry Networking team is planning to move the Istio Router (eventual replacement for gorouter) onto the overlay network used by app containers.

If this interests you, please read our proposal here.  We welcome feedback via comments on that doc, or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Gabe & the CF Networking Team

CF+K8S SIG Call tomorrow

Chip Childers

All,

Tomorrow at 6 PM CET, 12 AM ET, 9 AM PT is our next CF+k8s SIG call. I've reached out to several projects to see if they want to provide a demo tomorrow, but schedules aren't aligning. The following call does have some demos scheduled already (two weeks from now).

That said, we will still have a brief call tomorrow. Agenda will be:

1) Any project status updates worth highlighting
2) Open discussion on k8s + CF efforts

Since there isn't a demo, I won't be switching to Zoom this time around.

Expect the call to be fast. Join if interested!

Dial in number: 215-315-3487
No PIN needed

International Callers
Dial the local number below based on your location. When prompted, enter your host's conference number (215-315-3487), then the "#" key.
-Germany: 030 30807999
-Ireland: (01) 525 5652
-United Kingdom: 020 3514 1993
Other international numbers available here: https://www.uberconference.com/international

Re: 1 of 3 pre-start scripts failed. Failed Jobs: cloud_controller_ng. Successful Jobs: route_registrar, consul_agent.

PulPham <hungfq@...>

Hi Arpit Sharma,

Could you share your way to fix it?

--
Sent from: http://cf-dev.70369.x6.nabble.com/

[cfcr] Deprecation of ABAC authorization mode

Sean O'Sullivan

Cloud Foundry Container Runtime - Feature deprecation notice for ABAC

What
We are looking to drop support Attribute Based Access Control as an authorization mode for Cloud Foundry Container Runtime in the near term planned release v0.18

Why
RBAC is considered to have significant security advantages over ABAC, thus we don't see value in continuing to support this as a solution. We reached out to our user base and there is no feedback anyone has ABAC implemented.

--
Sean O'Sullivan
Product Manager - Cloud Foundry Container Runtime (CFCR)

Cloud Foundry Swift Client

Dwayne Forde <dwayne.forde@...>

Ahoy,

wanted to let everyone know that I made a small Cloud Foundry Swift Client. I've been using the code in a small iOS application to help monitor some applications on a Cloud Foundry foundation for a couple of years now. Finally got around to separating it into its own code base.

I'm not sure how many Swift use cases are floating around the Cloud Foundry ecosystem, but it has come in handy for me. Feel free to use if the need come up.

Cheers

Is anyone successfully using IPSec along with Windows Server 2016 (1709)?

Aaron Huber

We're testing out the new Windows version and everything appears to be working correctly with the exception of traffic from the routers to the containers via the NAT on the Windows cells.  The IPSec session is working between the router and the Windows host itself but there is just no response when connecting to a mapped port inside a container.  For example:

router (10.10.10.10) -> windows2016-cell (10.10.10.11) - works fine for any open port (rep, consul etc.) on the cell itself
router (10.10.10.10) -> windows2016-cell (10.10.10.11) -> container (172.30.0.10) - no response to the external port for either HTTP or SSH (for example, 40000 and 40001)

As soon as we turn off IPSec the traffic works just fine and we can access the app via the gorouter and cf ssh is connecting successfully.  The error message from the router looks like this:

curl http://10.10.10.11:40000/
curl: (7) Failed to connect to 10.10.10.11 port 40000: Connection refused

Please let me know if you were able to get this working correctly.

Aaron

Re: Deprecation Notice: bosh-hm-forwarder is moving

Benjamin Gandon <benjamin@...>

Hi Adam,

I understand that this BOSH Health Monitor Forwarder (that was donated to OSS in July 2016) is now deprecated. I also saw that PCF has moved away from it in v2.0.

So I guess this bosh-hm-forwarder is replaced by something else.
Could you give us more insights (or pointers) about why this component is now deprecated, what is replacing it, and whether it is OSS?

Thanks for your answers.

Best,

/Benjamin GANDON
CEO Gstack.io (follow us on @_Gstack)

Le 2 févr. 2017 à 00:40, Adam Hevenor <ahevenor@...> a écrit :

Hi All -

In our continued effort for a clean the Loggregator code base we are moving another repo outside of Loggregator. The bosh-hm-forwarder can now be found at the following locations.

New repo: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-hm-forwarder
Bosh Release: http://bosh.io/releases/github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-hm-forwarder-release?all=1

If you happen to reference the bosh-hm-forwarder in the loggregator repo you have until March 1st to update your references. I'll bump this thread again on March 1st when we delete this from our repo.

Thanks
Adam

Re: Is anyone successfully using IPSec along with Windows Server 2016 (1709)?

A William Martin

Pivotal has a commercial offering providing IPSec integration for the Windows stack. As a first stab, perhaps our public docs may contain some configuration clues for you?

On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 8:18 PM Aaron Huber <aaron.m.huber@...> wrote:
[...]

CF CLI v6.37.0 Released Today: Variable Substitution

Abby Chau

Hi all,

The CF CLI team released cf CLI v6.37.0; please see release notes for full details.

Highlights include:
  • Variable substitution - (replaces inheritance) which allows app developers to create app manifests with values shared across all applicable environments in combination with references to environment-specific differences defined in separate files
  • Now the CLI reads username and password from environment variables
  • If you are using a API version older than 2.69.0, a warning displays asking you to update your API version - as the CLI no longer supports versions older than 2.69.0
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixes a bug whereby X-Cf-Warnings were not being unescaped when displayed to user
  • When using CF_TRACE=1, passwords are now sanitized

Let us know if you have any comments or feedback, thanks!

Best,

Abby Chau
Product Manager, CF CLI

Re: CF CLI v6.37.0 Released Today: Variable Substitution

Benjamin Gandon

Hi Abby,

In the documentation for variable substitution, when it’s said:

Template variables can also be used as partial values, such as in:

It’s quite unclear what is meant by “partial values”, and the example doesn’t bring an illustration to this. Indeed, correct me if I’m wrong but this second example looks the same as the first one, because using --vars-file <(cat secrets.yml) should be quite the same as writing --vars-file secrets.yml.

Maybe “partial values” was a way to say that multiple --vars-file arguments can be used?

Benjamin