Date

Update regarding Bionic Stemcells

Marco Voelz

Dear Cloud Foundry community,

TL;DR: Bionic stemcells are on their way to GA. Xenial stemcells in open-source will not receive security updates after the end of April 2021. Act now and test your bosh releases and plan for migrating your systems, we’re doing it as well. Read on for context, open issues and migration caveats.

Context:

As part of an earlier mail to the cf-bosh and cf-dev mailing lists, there was an announcement around work to create a BOSH stemcell for Ubuntu 18.04 (code-named “Bionic Beaver”). The background is that Ubuntu 16.04 (code-named “Xenial Xerus”) runs out of standard support by the end of April 2021. We are already publishing beta versions of Bionic stemcells on bosh.io.

As announced earlier, VMware decided to continue to support Xenial-based stemcells for their commercial distribution and is therefore transferring all open-source stemcell related work to the community – a team currently staffed by IBM and SAP. We’re stepping in to ensure that there will be a continuously maintained Bionic stemcell available for the open-source community.

What does this mean for you as users of open-source Cloud Foundry?

  • You need to plan for switching to Bionic stemcells before the end of April 2021. Xenial stemcells will not get any security related updates after this date!
  • Test your bosh-releases! We found a few things that needed to be changed in existing releases to make them ready for Bionic – you should do the same
  • You will get a continuously maintained Bionic stemcell, for which Canonical offers standard support until the end of April 2023

What is the current state?

How do you migrate from Xenial to Bionic?

  • Upload the new stemcell to your BOSH director in addition to the existing Xenial stemcell
  • Add the new stemcell to your cloud-config
  • Update your runtime-config in case you’re using the stemcell key in the placement rules to ensure addons are installed on the new stemcell as well
  • Switch the referenced stemcell for each deployment manifest and re-deploy
  • Deploy bosh itself with the new stemcell. If you’re using bosh-deployment, there are cpi-specific ops-files for this available

How can you help?

There are a number of ways you can get involved:

  • Depending on your configuration of Cloud Foundry, the open issues listed above might be blockers for you or not. Please help us prioritizing this with the teams if your migration to Bionic is blocked by any of these issues by commenting on the issue – except for the garden-runc issue, I’m not aware of any work on resolving them right now
  • Test your bosh-releases and provide feedback on things that work or don’t. Please note: the fact that you’re finding things we didn’t find in our tests most likely means that we’re requiring contributions from your side to successfully fix things
  • Scanning of stemcells (nessus, malware, etc) is something which quite often comes up in certifications. Setting this up in the open-source community would benefit everyone to check some boxes without investing in their own setup. Any help with getting this done in the community is highly appreciated!

Feedback?

Please reply to this mail on the list and/or send us a message in #bosh on Cloud Foundry slack. Don’t hesitate to DM me or send me a mail if you want to reach out privately.

install cf cli

lukas.klein@...

Hello,

I installed the cf cli via the windows installer, but got an issue when trying it out.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind Regards

Lukas Klein

Mercedes-Benz Global Logistics Center
Mercedes-Benz AG
ITS/GL - IT Service & Parts,
Logistik-IT Prozesse & Systeme
Werk 006 / HPC H551
76725 Germersheim/Germany
Phone   :
+49 176 30966077

IMPORTANT NOTICE: [ruby-buildpack] End of Support for ruby versions 2.5.x after 2021-04-23

Kashyap Vedurmudi

The first release of the Ruby buildpack after 2021-04-23 will no longer include ruby versions 2.5.x. These ruby versions will no longer be supported upstream.[1] Please migrate your Ruby apps to supported versions of ruby before that time.

Note: Unless you are manually specifying a version of Ruby for the buildpack to use, or you have customized your Ruby buildpack, no action is required.

As always, the buildpacks team is happy to answer questions you may have about this deprecation in the #buildpacks Slack channel[2].

[1] - https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/branches/

[2] - https://cloudfoundry.slack.com/archives/C02HWMDUQ

Thanks,

Kashyap Vedurmudi, Buildpacks PM

IMPORTANT NOTICE: [go-buildpack] End of Support for golang versions 1.14.x after 2021-04-23

Kashyap Vedurmudi

The first release of the Go buildpack after April 23, 2021 will no longer include Go versions 1.14.x. These Go versions will no longer be supported upstream.[1] Please migrate your Go apps to supported versions of Go before that time.

Note: Unless you are manually specifying a version of Go for the buildpack to use, or you have customized your Go buildpack, no action is required.

[1] - https://golang.org/doc/devel/release.html#policy

Thanks,

Kashyap Vedurmudi, Buildpacks PM

Re: Community interest in osb-cmdb ?

Guillaume Berche

Thanks Benjamin for your interest in this talk and the ideas shared around extended use-cases around CF marketplace!

Regarding the CF-as-IAM use-case, your understanding is correct, the idea is to periodically schedule a `cf update service` API call for every cloud subscription nested within a project subscription, when the latter may have some changes in their member list. This could potentially be osb-cmdb that supports broker opt-ins to receive the scheduled api calls. See placeholder describing this potential feature at https://github.com/orange-cloudfoundry/osb-cmdb/issues/105

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 12:43 AM Benjamin Gandon <benjamin@...> wrote:
Hi Guillaume,

I’ve just finished watching the video playback of the February Community Advisory Board and I’m impressed how creative you guys have been in terms of re-using existing components for new use-cases.

Using an existing cloud controller as a meta service broker, just adding a mere shim in front in order to convert incoming OSB API call to CF API calls, that’s… brilliant.

The 2nd CF-as-IAM solution is very creative either. Leveraging the CF Terraform provider into a Brokerpack for the new Cloud Broker… just blew my mind.
One feedback though, is about off-boardiing. In many companies, revoking authorizations when people go away is harder that granting them in the first place. This arises for many reasons, mostly non-technical. Here with CF-as-IAM, when you update the teammates list in your team CF space, that act as a template to provision authorisations on remote foundations, how do you enforce the new authorizations to the remote foundation ? Maybe you already push those with a `cf update service` API call, but as you didn’t mention this in your talk, I was curious.

Anyway, congrats for those creative experiments around OSB API, and ways to manage complexity in large scale organisations, when provisioning large numbers of CF foundations.

Benjamin

Le 22 févr. 2021 à 18:40, Guillaume Berche <bercheg@...> a écrit :

Hi,

Orange has contributed a component to ease sharing of an open-service-broker marketplace among multiple client platforms. See cab recording at [1], and a longer full slide deck at [2] and actual repo at [3].

Before proposing this project to the cf-extension pmc (or new working group in new CF technical governance), I'd like to hear if there is community interest in using or contributing to this project ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Proposal: HTTP/2 Routing in Cloud Foundry

Greg Cobb <gcobb@...>

Greetings cf-dev!

We have commenced working on a much-requested feature: adding HTTP/2 support to Gorouter. Please see the proposal below for details and let us know if you have any feedback on our approach.

Proposal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vcqlwchibRPnGn2pPQideaW8rmGMGoHFtgrS4RmsVl8/edit

Thanks!
Cloud Foundry Networking and Associates

Re: CF Application Runtime PMC: Eirini Project Lead Call for Nominations

Eric Malm

Hi, everyone,

VMware is nominating Giuseppe Capizzi for the Eirini project lead in the Application Runtime PMC.

Giuseppe has been a core contributor to Cloud Foundry since 2017, most recently as an engineer on the Eirini team. He has also been one of the maintainers of Garden since 2018. Before working on CF, he was an engineer at Pivotal Labs.

Thanks,
Eric Malm

Julian "Herr Julz" Skupnjak, the lead for the Eirini project within the Application Runtime PMC, is stepping down. We thank him for his service.

The Eirini team, based in Europe, now has an opening for its project lead. Project leads must be nominated by a Cloud Foundry Foundation member. Please send nominations directly to me or in reply to this message no later than 11:59 PM PDT on Friday, April 2, 2021.

Also, if you have any questions about the role or the nomination process, as described in the CFF governance documents (https://www.cloudfoundry.org/governance/cff_development_operations_policy/), please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric Malm, CF Application Runtime PMC Lead

[...]

Benjamin Gandon

[...]

Re: Retiring various CF Extensions PMC projects: CF-Dev, CF-Swagger, Brooklyn Broker, SQL Server

Chris Clark

Hi Onno,

Stark & Wayne recently published a blog post on running CF-for-K8s on Minikube. Perhaps this would be helpful?  https://starkandwayne.com/blog/running-cf-for-k8s-on-minikube/

I don't believe there's another option besides CF-Dev for running a BOSH-based Cloud Foundry on a laptop, but I could be wrong.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 3:28 AM Brouwer, Onno (CIV) <onno.brouwer@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I have a group of students trying to get some experience with building apps on Cloud Foundry.

Since cf-dev is being retired, is there a viable alternative they can run on their laptops and which is still in active development?

Kind Regards,

Onno Brouwer

Cloud native operations engineer

Rijkswaterstaat