Date

Bosh proposal for enhancement of rotating bosh-agent certificates/credentials

jpalermo@...

Hey all, we’ve got a proposal out for how to enhance the process of rotation certificates/credentials used by the bosh agent (making NATS cert rotation easier being the primary driver): https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/discussions/2309

Looking for feedback. Ideally we’d like to keep the conversation around it in the github discussion so it’s more permanent and discoverable.

COMING SOON: V8 Release of CF CLI

dominicr@...

Hello all,

We are happy to announce that the CF CLI team is preparing to release v8 in the next month or so. Here are some new features that you can look forward to:
  • All services commands now utilize v3 api, enabling most commands to run asynchronously and with better performance
  • Bump to golang 1.16
  • Beta support for the Space Supporter role
  • Manifest diffs on pushing utilizing the v3 api
If you have any feedback, concerns or questions regarding the v8 release please feel free to reach out on the cli slack channel

CFF Working Groups: feedback and participants requested!

Eric Malm

Hi, everyone,

As we mentioned at CF Summit last week, the newly formed Technical Oversight Committee (TOC) is currently carrying out more and more of the details of the transition from the previous project-team and project management committee (PMC) structure to the working groups and community roles.

To that end, we have proposed an initial set of working groups on PR #140 on the community repo, together with how they will subsume the existing project teams and components. As a community, we now need to confirm the scope of each of these working groups, to staff them with leads and approvers, and to get them up and running with transparent development and roadmap processes. Consequently, we need a few things from the community now:
  • Please provide feedback on the overall working-group organizational structure.
  • Please provide suggestions for and feedback on the goals, scope, and technical assets for each proposed working group.
  • Please identify people in the community as candidates for approvers/leads in each working group, including yourselves if you already work in this area.
We're currently working out these details for the App Runtime Deployments working group as a pilot case, so if you care about cf-deployment, KubeCF, cf-for-k8s, or the overall community mandate to provide reference deployments of the App Runtime, now is the right time to get involved! The TOC would also like to complete this process for the complete set of working groups over the next few weeks, so if you're more focused on another area of the CF community, we need your involvement as well.

We invite everyone to join to discuss these working-group proposals at the public TOC meetings every Tuesday at 10:30 am ET, with details on the CF community calendar, and to provide feedback asynchronously on a particular proposed working group is the draft PR for its charter. Here is the full list of those charter PRs:
Please don't worry if you don't see a particular project listed here: it should be present in the PR content itself, and if it's not, the TOC wants to know about it!

Thanks,
Eric Malm, TOC member

Cloud Foundry Community Awards Nominations is now extended!

Shedrack Akintayo <sakintayo@...>

Hello Friends,

The Community Awards nomination form deadline is now extended until Friday, July 2nd, 11:59 PM PT, 2021.

This is to give our community members more time to nominate their peers as we strongly believe in the opinion of every community member. If you believe a particular member of the community deserves any of the awards, go ahead and nominate them.

I also wrote a post to help answer any questions you may have about any of the award categories, but please feel free to reach out if there is any additional question.

Get nominating today!

Thanks,
Shedrack.

Shedrack Akintayo | Developer Advocate

Cloud Foundry Foundation

sakintayo@...

twitter.com/coder_blvck

CFF TOC Meetings

Chip Childers

All,

The newly elected CFF TOC will initially be meeting weekly, on Tuesdays at 14:30 UTC (7:30 AM US Pacific Time, 4:30 PM Central European Time).

These meetings are open to the entire community to attend, although I ask that you respect that the TOC will be setting the agenda and running the meeting.

The meetings will be recorded and posted to the foundation's youtube channel.

Chip Childers
Executive Director
Cloud Foundry Foundation

Re: Update regarding Bionic Stemcells: Version 1.10 released from Foundation owned infrastructure

Benjamin Gandon

Congrats Felix and SAP team, and all other CFF contributors for this great achievement!

Benjamin

Le 17 juin 2021 à 17:16, Riegger, Felix via lists.cloudfoundry.org <felix.riegger=sap.com@...> a écrit :

Dear Cloud Foundry community,

The migration of the Stemcell release infrastructure and pipelines from VMWare to CloudFoundry Foundation owned accounts is mostly done. With Bionic Stemcell 1.10 the first Stemcell has been created and released with the new setup.

This is again a huge step forward to bring the Stemcell into the hands of the communitiy. Again a big thank you to everyone involved in this journey.

What has changed?

The new Stemcells are now published in Google Cloud Storage instead of AWS S3. This change uncovered a bug in the BOSH CLI, which has been fixed in the latest version. Please update to https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-cli/releases/tag/v6.4.4 to consume the latest Stemcells.

In the previous setup BOSH Acceptance Tests (BATS), IPv4 and IPv6 tests have been executed against a vSphere environment owned by VMWare. In the new setup these tests are executed in a GCP environment. Unfortunately, it was not possible to replicate the IPv6 tests to this environment. While we don't expect big changes in this area this implies that IPv6 might stop working at some point with newer Stemcells without us noticing. If this is important to you and you would like to contribute please reach out to discuss options.

Where can I access the new infrastructure?

The concourse is hosted on https://bosh.ci.cloudfoundry.org/ and runs on a GCP account of the CloudFoundry Foundation.

Where is the code?

The repositories for the pipeline definitions and the stemcell code itself have not changed. They can be found in https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-stemcells-ci and https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-linux-stemcell-builder.

Any assets regarding the Concourse setup live in https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-community-stemcell-ci-infra.

Who can access the pipelines and contribute?

Any member of https://github.com/orgs/cloudfoundry/teams/bosh-stemcell can access and work with the pipeline as well as the relevant repositories. If you would like to become a contributor, please reach out.

Where can I follow?

Anything else?

As was announced by the CFF Security Working Group in https://www.cloudfoundry.org/blog/security-advisory-update/ CFF security advisories are now in place for Bionic Stemcells and the release of version 1.10 triggered the first advisories.

Kind regards,
Felix

Update regarding Bionic Stemcells: Version 1.10 released from Foundation owned infrastructure

Riegger, Felix

Work can be tracked in https://github.com/orgs/cloudfoundry/projects/4.

Anything else?

As was announced by the CFF Security Working Group in https://www.cloudfoundry.org/blog/security-advisory-update/ CFF security advisories are now in place for Bionic Stemcells and the release of version 1.10 triggered the first advisories.

Kind regards,

Felix

The Community Awards Nomination is Now Open

Shedrack Akintayo <sakintayo@...>

Hello Friends,

The Community Awards nomination form is now available!

This means that you can nominate any of your peers in the community for any of the award categories available. If you believe a particular member of the community deserves any of the awards, go ahead and nominate them.

The deadline for nominations is Friday, June 25th, 11:59 PM PT. I also wrote a post to help answer any questions you may have about any of the award categories, but please feel free to reach out if there is any additional question.

Get nominating today!

Thanks,
Shedrack.

Shedrack Akintayo | Developer Advocate

Cloud Foundry Foundation

sakintayo@...

twitter.com/coder_blvck

Re: 2021 CFF Technical Oversight Committee Election Results

Lee Porte

Wow! Thank you to the community.

I'm looking forwards to getting started

Cheers

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 at 13:53, Chip Childers <cchilders@...> wrote:

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to register and vote in the first Cloud Foundry Foundation annual election for our newly forming Technical Oversight Committee (TOC). I also extend my deep thanks to all of the nominees who agreed to run in the election. Overall, our community’s participation in this election process was outstanding (especially given that this was our first time doing this!)

And with that preamble, I’m pleased to announce our first CFF Technical Oversight Committee will be:

* Eric Malm (VMware)

* David Stevenson (VMware)

* Jan von Loewenstein (SAP)

* Stephan Merker (SAP)

* Lee Porte (GOV.UK)

Congratulations to Eric, David, Jan, Stephan and Lee! I’m looking forward to working with you to get the TOC up and running.

For transparency, more details have been published here: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/community/blob/main/toc/elections/2021/results.md

Chip Childers
Executive Director

Lee Porte
Reliability Engineer
GOV.UK PaaS Team
‪020 3920 6036‬
07785 449292

[...]

LAST CALL for CFF TOC election - Polling closes tomorrow

Chip Childers

Hi all!

A reminder for the community that this is the last call for the TOC election. We've had a solid response rate for qualified voters voting, but there are 37 incomplete ballots (people that authorized their email address, but have not yet actually voted).

I'll be closing the poll tomorrow, Tuesday June 15, at the end of the work day Pacific US time (around 5 PM US Pacific).

If you are a qualified voter and have any questions or concerns, please let me know ASAP!

Happy voting!

Chip Childers
Executive Director
Cloud Foundry Foundation

IMPORTANT NOTICE: [php-buildpack] End of Support for NGINX versions 1.18.x and 1.19.x after 2021-07-04

Amelia Castilla <acastilla@...>

The first release of the PHP buildpack after 2021-07-04 will no longer include NGINX versions 1.18.x and 1.19.x. These NGINX versions will no longer be supported upstream[1]. Please migrate your PHP apps to supported versions of NGINX before that time.

Note: As 1.19.x is the current default version of NGINX in the buildpack, the default NGINX version will be updated to 1.20.1 as a part of this removal. If you’d like to use a different NGINX version, please configure your application to select that version[2].

As always, the Buildpacks team is happy to answer questions you may have about this deprecation in the #buildpacks Slack channel[3].

[1] - https://nginx.org/en/download.html

[2] - https://docs.cloudfoundry.org/buildpacks/php/index.html

[3] - https://cloudfoundry.slack.com/archives/C02HWMDUQ

Thanks,

The Buildpacks Team

IMPORTANT NOTICE: [r-buildpack] End of Support for R versions 4.0.x after 2021-07-03

Elliott Shanks <shankse@...>

The first release of the R buildpack after July 3, 2021 will no longer include R versions 4.0.x. These R versions will no longer be supported upstream.[1] Please migrate your R apps to supported versions of R before that time.

As always, the buildpacks team is happy to answer questions you may have about this deprecation in the #buildpacks Slack channel.

[1] - https://developer.r-project.org/

For more information on r dependencies and their deprecation dates, please refer to https://buildpacks.cloudfoundry.org/#/buildpacks

Thanks,

Buildpacks Team

IMPORTANT NOTICE: [staticfile-buildpack] Change of default nginx version after 2021-07-09

Amelia Castilla

The default version for NGINX will be updated to 1.21.x in the first release of the Staticfile buildpack after 2021-07-09.

We are giving a 30 day notice to inform users that the default version of NGINX in the Staticfile buildpack will be updated to the latest 1.21.x version in the first release of the Staticfile buildpack after 2021-07-09.

As always, the buildpacks team is happy to answer questions you may have about this deprecation in the #buildpacks Slack channel[1].

[1] - https://cloudfoundry.slack.com/archives/C02HWMDUQ

Thanks,
The Buildpacks Team

IMPORTANT NOTICE: [nginx-buildpack] Change of default nginx version after 2021-07-09

Amelia Castilla

The default version for NGINX will be updated to 1.21.x in the first release of the NGINX buildpack after 2021-07-09.

We are giving a 30 day notice to inform users that the default version of NGINX in the NGINX buildpack will be updated to the latest 1.21.x version in the first release of the NGINX buildpack after 2021-07-09.

If you’d like to use a different NGINX version, please configure your application to select that version.[1]

As always, the buildpacks team is happy to answer questions you may have about this deprecation in the #buildpacks Slack channel[2].

[1] - https://docs.cloudfoundry.org/buildpacks/nginx/index.html
[2] - https://cloudfoundry.slack.com/archives/C02HWMDUQ

Thanks,
The Buildpacks Team

IMPORTANT NOTICE: [php-buildpack] Change of default nginx version after 2021-07-09

Amelia Castilla

The default version for NGINX will be updated to 1.21.x in the first release of the PHP buildpack after 2021-07-09.

We are giving a 30 day notice to inform users that the default version of NGINX in the PHP buildpack will be updated to the latest 1.21.x version in the first release of the PHP buildpack after 2021-07-09.

[1] - https://docs.cloudfoundry.org/buildpacks/php/gsg-php-config.html
[2] - https://cloudfoundry.slack.com/archives/C02HWMDUQ

Thanks,
The Buildpacks Team

Re: CFF TOC Election Starting

Chip Childers

Not until the 15th... ;)

Chip Childers
Executive Director
Cloud Foundry Foundation

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 8:40 AM 'Thun, Philipp' via open-service-broker-api <open-service-broker-api@...> wrote:

Count the votes!

SCNR,

Philipp

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Chip Childers <cchilders@...>
Date: Tuesday, 8. June 2021 at 14:26
Subject: Re: [cf-dev] CFF TOC Election Starting

The CIVS site has an expired HTTPS certificate. It's a hosted, free, service... so there's nothing I can do about it at the moment. I've reached out to the service's owner at Cornell University.

Chip Childers

Executive Director

Cloud Foundry Foundation

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 9:48 PM Chip Childers <cchilders@...> wrote:

All,

The list of eligible voters for our TOC election has been finalized, and an initial instruction has been sent to the best available email address that we have in our systems for all eligible voters. If you are listed in the voters.md file, but did not receive your initial registration instructions, please reach out to me privately.

Unless we experience major technical or logistical issues, the election will run from now, until June 15th. That said, I ask that the community bear with us as we go through this first election cycle and sort out the processes. :)

The following individuals are listed as eligible voters, but I have been unable to determine their email addresses in our various systems. If anyone is able to provide me with their email addresses, please reply to me privately at cchilders@....

"Mo Sahihi Benis","SAP"
"Sebastian Vollath","SUSE"
"Shannon Coen","VMware"
"Sven Krieger","SAP"
"Urse Searle","VMware"
"Valentin Velkov","SAP"
"Yaron Parasol","VMware"
"Visarg Soneji","SAP"

Chip Childers

Executive Director

Re: CFF TOC Election Starting

Thun, Philipp

Count the votes!

SCNR,

Philipp

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Chip Childers <cchilders@...>
Date: Tuesday, 8. June 2021 at 14:26

[...]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: [nginx-buildpack] End of Support for NGINX versions 1.18.x and 1.19.x after 2021-07-05

Victoria Henry

The first release of the NGINX buildpack after 2021-07-05 will no longer include NGINX versions 1.18.x and 1.19.x. These NGINX versions will no longer be supported upstream[1]. Please migrate your NGINX apps to supported versions of NGINX before that time.

Note: As 1.19.x is the current default version of NGINX in the buildpack, the default NGINX version will be updated to 1.20.x as a part of this removal. If you’d like to use a different NGINX version, please configure your application to select that version[2].

[2] - https://docs.cloudfoundry.org/buildpacks/nginx/index.html

[3] - https://cloudfoundry.slack.com/archives/C02HWMDUQ

Thanks,

The Buildpacks Team