From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Stephen Levine <slevine@...>
Date: Friday, February 23, 2018 at 12:20 PM
To: "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Cc: "Sisil, Scott (Pivotal)" <ssisil@...>, "Casey, Emily (Pivotal)" <ecasey@...>, Chip Childers <cchilders@...>, Michael Maximilien <maxim@...>
Subject: [cf-dev] Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

Hi All,

Pivotal is proposing CF Dev for inclusion in the Extensions PMC as a new incubating project.

CF Dev is a deployment of BOSH and cf-deployment that runs locally in Garden containers. It uses native hypervisors to start quickly with zero external dependencies. It also provides a fully functional BOSH director.

CF Dev is currently available on Github [1].

I would also like to introduce everyone to Scott Sisil, who is joining me as Co-PM on Pivotal's local and community developer initiatives. Please reach out to Scott and/or myself for questions about CF Dev.

Details:

Project Name: CF Dev

Project Proposal: See [2], and attached.

Proposed Project Leads: Stephen Levine, Pivotal & Scott Sisil Pivotal

Proposed Contributors: Emily Casey, Pivotal; Dave Protasowski, Pivotal; Stephen Hiehn, Pivotal

Proposed Scope: See [2], and attached.

Development Operating Model: Pairing (local + remote)

Technical Approach: CF CLI plugin that starts a VM using the OS native hypervisor.

Please let us know if you have any questions or feedback.

[1] https://github.com/pivotal-cf/cfdev

[2] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QBTstRXN-1MmINZr1b1G5K6cM6bptQRvsafg_nyP8I8/edit#

A Cloud Foundry API Client for Python #cf

adamjasojr@...

This is a Cloud Foundry python client I've been working on for a while. It supports authentication with UAA, all Cloud Controller endpoints, allows usage with both v2 and v3 of the Cloud Controller API, supports connecting to the logging firehose, and several other features. It also implements `cf push` for CF application manifests in pure python using the v2 API.

Github: https://github.com/hsdp/python-cf-api
PyPI: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/cf_api
ReadTheDocs: https://cf-api.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Re: Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

Michael Maximilien

Moving others to bcc: to avoid too many emails.

Thanks for this Stephen.

I’ll make sure to leave some feedback and would ask everyone to spend some time looking at Stephen’s proposal and leave your comments.

Finally, let’s also discuss when you want to present this at an up coming CAB call.

Have a great weekend all.

On Feb 23, 2018, at 12:20 PM, Stephen Levine <slevine@...> wrote:

[...]

<Proposal for Inclusion in the Extensions PMC_ CF Dev.pdf>

Re: Proposal for Incubation in the Extensions PMC: CF Dev

Julz Friedman

\o/

Yassss. Nice.

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 at 12:34, Amit Kumar Gupta <agupta@...> wrote:
YES!!! Thank you, Steven & team!

In progress: One command to have BOSH+CF running on macOS native hypervisor

🤩

Amit

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 12:23 PM Stephen Levine <slevine@...> wrote:

[...]

Amit Kumar Gupta

[...]

Stephen Levine

[...]

REMINDER: CF-Extensions PMC February 2018 zoom call is Monday 02/26 @ 11a PST

Michael Maximilien

CC: cf-dev for those in broader community wishing to join and listen in.

FYI...

CF-Extensions project leads, please join us for the second *optional* zoom monthly call next week Monday 02/26 @ 11a PST

As I said before, you do not have to attend. However, it is compulsory to share your project's drumbeat (few lines of status and highlights). Reply here or PR to link below.

-------
I'll summarize everything in the February PMC notes, here: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/pmc-notes/blob/master/Extensions/2018/02-26-2018.md <= that I will share with community.

Thanks for your time and zoom soon if you can join.

ibm cloud labs

CF CLI install error using 'apt-get' for Ubuntu users

Sebastian Vidrio <svidrio@...>

Hello Ubuntu users of the CF CLI,

Future versions of 'apt-get' might enforce https over http for updating sources. This affects the CF CLI install process.

It seems that the most recent version of 'apt-get' was breaking our install procedure for Ubuntu 16.04. We believe that due to the library changes, it may also affect other versions of Ubuntu in the future. We recommend updating your installation procedure based on our updated documentation.

Thanks,
The CF CLI Team

Re: Announcing cf-release end of life

Mike Youngstrom <youngm@...>

Yes, congratulations.  Now to begin the process of moving our custom templating to cf-deployment.  Sigh. :)

Mike

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 11:30 AM, David Sabeti <dsabeti@...> wrote:
Hi cf-dev,

I'm happy to announce the end of support for cf-release. A few weeks ago, we cut cf-release v287 -- the final version of cf-release. Last week, the Release Integration team shut down the last pipelines pertaining to cf-release and moved the repo to the Cloud Foundry attic.

Some fun facts about cf-release:
  • The first commit was made April 4, 2012. At that time, SOPA has just caused some of the largest internet protests in history and Instagram finally released an app for Android.
  • cf-release has had 317 contributors. The top two committers? "cf-buildpacks-eng" (a bot) and "capi-bot" (also, obviously, a bot). We're officially in a world where even software engineering jobs are being automated away. The top human committer is none other than CAPI's Zach Robinson.
  • This single bosh release has been replaced with 23 releases used by cf-deployment.
Any operators still using cf-release should move to cf-deployment as the basis for their deployment manifest. We'll test the transition from cf-release to cf-deployment for another week or two.

Thanks to all the teams and community members that worked on splitting out their code into new releases, built pipelines with cf-deployment when it was still prickly and new, and gave us feedback on the new tooling.

Lastly, feel free to reach out to the Release Integration team in the #release-integration Slack channel, or open a Github issue on the cf-deployment repo.

Thanks!
David Sabeti & CF Release Integration

Re: Announcing cf-release end of life

Dieu Cao <dcao@...>

Hooray!  A very long time coming.
Congrats to the Release Integration team on getting this through!

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 3:31 PM, Dr Nic Williams <drnicwilliams@...> wrote:
Long live cf-release!

Re: Noisy Neighbor Nozzle CLI - Quickly Determine High Volume Log Producers #loggregator

kurt.kellner@...

With CF Top plugin there are two fields "LOG_OUT" and  "LOG_ERR" which gives the total logged messages since cf top has been running.   Although it doesn't give you a rate of messages per minute, it can quickly identify chatty apps. If you have "doppler.firehose" scope it will show logging totals for all apps, if not it will only show apps you have authority to see.   You can sort by any column, so sorting on "LOG_OUT" column will show the top loggers.

Re: HTTP error code when route not found

Shannon Coen

Hello John,

The root of the issue is that because Gorouter receives configuration for both container scheduling and routing from Diego, it can't tell the difference between an app that is crashing and one that is deleted or unmapped from the route.

Achieving a more intuitive behavior has required a significant architectural change that we have put off in favor of features with higher benefit-to-cost ratio. Our integration with Istio gives us the opportunity redesign how the routing subsystem receives config from the rest of the platform. We intend that Envoy will return a 503 when an app is stopped or crashing. For details, see https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VldkvgWPUh13o5RCNjSvzoPFhbY9BtLqBDdk2k0z9fw/edit

Gorouter currently returns a 502 when it has backends for a route in its routing table, but it cannot establish a TCP connection to one of them after three tries. We will likely persist this behavior in our integration with Envoy.

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 10:27 AM, Dieu Cao <dcao@...> wrote:
The routing team I believe is considering this use case in the new routing control plane proposal as outlined in https://lists.cloudfoundry.org/g/cf-dev/message/7717

-Dieu

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 9:26 AM, Mike Youngstrom <youngm@...> wrote:
Here is a thread from the past that might help: https://lists.cloudfoundry.org/g/cf-dev/message/4503

Mike

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 3:50 AM, John Mcteague <john@...> wrote:
When a route is not found by the gorouter, clients receive a http 404, which can be confusing for some downstream clients as its hard to distinguish between the resource in my app is not found vs the entire app is not found.

502 bad gateway is used in CF when the route is known but it is temporarily unable to reach the app backend.

Is there any thought on changing the error the gorouter returns in this scenario to help provide clients more meaningful information.Checking the X-cf-routererror header (which returns unknown_route) is not desirable as this starts to bake in CF specific behaviours into applications.

Thanks,
John

Re: Announcing cf-release end of life

Dr Nic Williams <drnicwilliams@...>

Long live cf-release!

Announcing cf-release end of life

David Sabeti

[...]

Re: FINAL REMINDER: CAB call for February is Wednesday 02/21 @ 8a PST

Michael Maximilien

Community Advisory Board...

Definitely community though not really a board per se. However, it’s absolutely the place to have your voice in the community be heard; and a monthly chance to zoom with the leaders of the different core and incubating projects.

It’s fun. Ask Wayne from Stark & Wayne. Join us.

Cheers,

Max

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 10:04 AM Jay Badenhope <jbadenhope@...> wrote:
Hey Max,
What does "CAB" stand for?

Jay

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 9:38 AM, Michael Maximilien <maxim@...> wrote:
FYI...

The agenda link has correct Zoom info and of course join the Cloud Foundry slack #CAB channel for up to the minute info.

Zoom soon. Best,

On Feb 14, 2018, at 12:13 PM, Michael Maximilien <maxim@...> wrote:

FYI...

First off, Happy Valentines Day!

Second, reminder that the CAB call for February is scheduled for next Wednesday 02/21 @ 8a PST.

WIP agenda in [1] but summary:

  1. CFF updates.
  2. Highlights from different PMCs and teams.
  3. Community talks:
a. CF Documentation Process and How you can contribute? by Benjamin Tarnoff and team, Pivotal
b. CF Abacus Demo / Update by Hristo Lliev and team, SAP

I will send one more reminder next week on this list. Zoom soon.

Best,

PS: I will be at INDEXconf all week next week in San Francisco and want to personally invite you (if around) to CF Day @ INDEX on 02/20, the day before CAB call, at the Moscone Center. We have curated a great line up of CF community speakers on various topics (see agenda: https://goo.gl/p9tKmz) and register for FREE with code: CD1CFDAY here: https://goo.gl/KxuZcF

Jay Badenhope

Product Manager
Pivotal Labs
+1.510.517.6973
LinkedIn | Twitter

--
dr.max Sent from my iPhone http://maximilien.org

Re: FINAL REMINDER: CAB call for February is Wednesday 02/21 @ 8a PST

Swarna Podila

Community Advisory Board.

[...]

​Senior
 Director
​, Community​

Jay Badenhope <jbadenhope@...>

[...]

Adam Hevenor

I can see that overlap, but there is an important scope difference to point out here. The Noisy Neighbor Nozzle requires Operator scope to read from the firehose and is intended for Platform wide monitoring, where as CF Top can be used by app developers to monitor the applications within their space. This is important because apps from one space can effect other spaces--although I can see the appeal of also adding this to the information app developers have access to.