Date

CF Dev 0.0.13 now available

Samuel Dawson

Hi All,

We are excited to let you know that version 0.0.13 of CF Dev is now available. This version brings significant performance improvements to start times and reduces the memory and storage requirements:
  • Faster start time: start CF Dev in under 30 minutes; under 15 minutes with no services `-s none`
  • Reduced memory footprint: start with 5 GB RAM
  • Reduced storage: CF Dev requires 50G disk space
We would very much like to hear your feedback. Please reply directly to this email thread, or to the 3 question survey to follow.

Best,
Sam -- Product Manager taking over for Scott 👋

--
Samuel Dawson
Product Manager

Re: Alfred workflow for Cloud Foundry

Chip Childers <cchilders@...>

very cool!

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 8:52 AM Fouad Hamdi <fhamdi@...> wrote:
Hi there,

I've written a personal project that may be of some interest for people using Alfred 3 and Cloud Foundry: it is a simple workflow that uses some of the API endpoints and may save some typing.

If you're interested in it, don't hesitate to send me your feedback, I will probably extend it with other features.

Best regards (and happy new year !)
Fouad

Alfred workflow for Cloud Foundry

Fouad Hamdi <fhamdi@...>

Hi there,

I've written a personal project that may be of some interest for people using Alfred 3 and Cloud Foundry: it is a simple workflow that uses some of the API endpoints and may save some typing.

If you're interested in it, don't hesitate to send me your feedback, I will probably extend it with other features.

Best regards (and happy new year !)
Fouad

Re: CF CLI Minimum Supported Version for 2019

Abby Chau

Hi all, happy new year.

This is a friendly reminder that the CLI minimum supported version for the Cloud Controller (CC) API will update to the following:

Starting in 2019, CF CLI will only support:

  • Previous Year’s CF Certification: CF Certification 2018

  • CF-Deployment Release in January 2018: v1.7.0. (CF Release in January 2018: v284)

  • CAPI Release on January 1st, 2018: 1.46.0 (APIs 2.100.0 and 3.35.0)

The CF CLI team welcomes any feedback you may have regarding this. We can be reached via this email, or on Slack at #cli (Cloud Foundry). Thanks.

Best,

Abby Chau and the CF CLI Team

Product Manager, CF CLI

On Mon, Dec 3, 2018 at 5:38 PM Abby Chau <achau@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Earlier this year, in order to focus our resources on the most valuable features and bug fixes, the CLI team announced a minimum supported version policy for older Cloud Controller (CC) API versions: upon the new calendar year, the CF CLI will only maintain support as far back as the previous year’s CF Certification. Older CF CLI versions compatible with older CF releases will continue to be available. However, the CLI team will remove all code pertaining to unsupported releases.

The current CF CLI is backwards compatible to CF 251 / CC v2 API 2.69 / CC v3 API 3.4.0, which was the latest released version as of January 1, 2017.

Starting in 2019, CF CLI will only support:

  • Previous Year’s CF Certification: CF Certification 2018

  • CF-Deployment Release in January 2018: v1.7.0. (CF Release in January 2018: v284)

  • CAPI Release on January 1st, 2018: 1.46.0 (APIs 2.100.0 and 3.35.0)

The CF CLI team welcomes any feedback you may have regarding this. We can be reached via this email, or on Slack at #cli (Cloud Foundry). Thanks.

Best,

Abby Chau and the CF CLI Team

Product Manager, CF CLI

CloudFoundry client 3.14.0.RELEASE API not updated for multiple buildpacks

Shetty, Viraj S [CTR]

We have a zero downtime restage capability that we have added to our apps which make use of the ApplicationManifest class. However, this fails for multiple buildpacks because no method exists to retrieve multiple buildpacks. Currently the only method in the classes below is the getBuidpack() which returns the first buildpack.

org.cloudfoundry.operations.applications.ApplicationManifest
org.cloudfoundry.operations.applications.ApplicationDetail

When will the classes be updated to get a List instead of a String ? Ist here any other Java class that I can use to get the list of buildpacks assocated wth an app deployment ?

Re: CF Application Runtime PMC: Services API Project Lead Call for Nominations

Eric Malm <emalm@...>

Hi, everyone,

Pivotal is nominating Laurel Gray for the Services API Project Lead in the Application Runtime PMC.

Laurel has been working as a product manager on the Services API team for the past two months, and has worked on other Cloud Foundry teams since July 2018. Before CF, she worked as a product manager with Pivotal Labs in New York, Washington DC, and London for three years.

While in Labs, Laurel worked on a wide variety of products spanning internal and consumer-facing applications for retailers, automanufacturers, telecommunications companies and the US Federal Government. Prior to working at Pivotal, she was a data analyst for various adtech companies in San Francisco and a high school chemistry teacher in Washington DC.

Please send any other nominations directly to me or in reply to this message no later than 11:59 PM PST on Friday, January 4, 2019.

Thanks,
Eric Malm

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 9:27 PM Eric Malm <emalm@...> wrote:
Hi, everyone,

Matthew McNeeney, the Project Lead for the Services API team within the Application Runtime PMC, is stepping down from the project to move to a role internal to Pivotal. We thank him for his service as the Services API Project Lead.

The Services API team, located primarily in London, now has an opening for its project lead. Project leads must be nominated by a Cloud Foundry Foundation member. Please send nominations directly to me or in reply to this message no later than 11:59 PM PST on Friday, January 4, 2019.

Also, if you have any questions about the role or the nomination process, as described in the CFF governance documents (https://www.cloudfoundry.org/governance/cff_development_operations_policy/), please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric Malm, CF Application Runtime PMC Lead

[...]

Re: Eirini in 2019 CFAR certification requirements

Guillaume Berche

[1] Feedback: For governance docs (@Chip Childers), it might be worthwhile to keep things in a public Github repo, too.

> Ack - will work on that. :)

Chip, any progress on making governance and certification documents available to the community onto github ?

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 5:30 PM Chip Childers <cchilders@...> wrote:
Seems that discussion has died down on this.... At this point, it appears that consensus is around not adding Erini yet and reassessing when the project is further along.

We can certainly make changes later in the year. The PMC Council has final say around any changes to the technical requirements, but any CFF member can propose the change. I'll look for interested parties to re-propose Erini inclusion when folks feel it's appropriate.

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 8:27 AM Simon D Moser <smoser@...> wrote:
+1. Our main intent certainly was to avoid certification FUD in case we accomplish a "mature" Eirini in the first half or 2019. To me ammeding the requirements with a mid-term update does address this, so I'm fine with that.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Simon Moser

Senior Technical Staff Member / IBM Master Inventor
Bluemix Application Platform Lead Architect
Dept. C727, IBM Research & Development Boeblingen

IBM Deutschland
Schoenaicher Str. 220
71032 Boeblingen
Phone: +49-7031-16-4304
Fax: +49-7031-16-4890
E-Mail: smoser@...
IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH / Vorsitzender des
Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht
Stuttgart, HRB 243294

*******

ITIL has led people to think in siloes ("go fix change management").
Project Management has led people to think in finite units of work instead of streams of product.
Both are fundamental dysfunctions of the framework model, not failures of execution.
       ⁃        Rob England

From:        "Troy Topnik" <troy.topnik@...>
To:        cf-dev@...
Date:        04/12/2018 21:12
Subject:        Re: [cf-dev] Eirini in 2019 CFAR certification requirements
Sent by:        cf-dev@...

That sounds reasonable. I was going to add some "pending feature parity and passing CATs" language in the proposed change, but ammeding the requirements with a mid-term update would probably satisfy our needs without introducing conditional clauses.

Thanks for the feedback.

TT

Re: Deploying UAA in cloud.gov does not work as intended

Shetty, Viraj S [CTR]

Thanks Sree. I appreciate your input and will look into these links further.

REMINDER: CF CAB call for December is this Wednesday 19 @ 8a PST

Zoom soon. Best,

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Michael Maximilien" <maxim@...>
Date: December 17, 2018 at 3:59:04 PM PST
To: cf-dev@...
Subject: CF CAB call for December is this Wednesday 19 @ 8a PST

Hi, all,

Quick reminder that the CAB call for December (last one for 2018) is this Wednesday December 19th @ 8a PST.

We will have our regular PMCs highlights and two talks. One confirmed, so if you have one to give or to nominate then contact me directly ASAP.

The confirmed talk is a redux from CF Summit. Don’t want to miss it:

1. Terraform providers for Cloud Foundry by Guillaume Berche of Orange and Mevan Samaratunga of Pivotal [1]
2. Update on cf-dev — TO BE CONFIRMED [2]

All other info in agenda here [0].

Zoom soon. Best,

Re: Deploying UAA in cloud.gov does not work as intended

Sree Tummidi

Hi Viraj,

Using the UAA bosh release is the best way to achieve the needed enterprise grade operational features around High Availability, Disaster Recovery, Backup and restore, Logging , Monitoring etc.

If UAA is planned to be used for securing applications, vendors like Pivotal and others the OSS community have built a service layer using the open service broker interface.  You can find more details here

Thanks,
Sree Tummidi
Sr. Manager, Product Management
Pivotal Cloud Foundry

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 11:10 AM vshetty via Lists.Cloudfoundry.Org <vshetty=fdic.gov@...> wrote:
Thanks Jesse. Right now i am learning UAA but the evntual goal is to get it up and running at an enterprise level supporting many applications. As you suggest, we would need a robust way of administering this with backups and stuff. Is bosh-deploy the best way to do this ? And, Is it supported on Windows ? Curently we manage all cloudfoundry apps using cf client or aws cli on windows. Wondering if the same is possible for bosh-deploy.

Re: Deploying UAA in cloud.gov does not work as intended

Shetty, Viraj S [CTR]

Thanks Jesse. Right now i am learning UAA but the evntual goal is to get it up and running at an enterprise level supporting many applications. As you suggest, we would need a robust way of administering this with backups and stuff. Is bosh-deploy the best way to do this ? And, Is it supported on Windows ? Curently we manage all cloudfoundry apps using cf client or aws cli on windows. Wondering if the same is possible for bosh-deploy.

Re: Deploying UAA in cloud.gov does not work as intended

Jesse T. Alford

I'd like to suggest that if you're trying to provide a service to apps on Cloud Foundry with UAA, you might want to bosh-deploy UAA.

Deploying it to Cloud Foundry is possible, but (and folks from the UAA team, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here) not nearly as thoroughly tested/integrated/documented.

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 7:16 AM vshetty via Lists.Cloudfoundry.Org <vshetty=fdic.gov@...> wrote:
I figured out what the problem was. The clients attribute that I inserted in the uaa.yml was in the wrong place. It should have been directly beneath the oauth attribute. I had to also uncomment the section on JWT tokens. Once these were done, I was able to use the secret that I created for the admin user and now UAAC is working fine.

Thanks !
Viraj

Re: Deploying UAA in cloud.gov does not work as intended

Shetty, Viraj S [CTR]

I figured out what the problem was. The clients attribute that I inserted in the uaa.yml was in the wrong place. It should have been directly beneath the oauth attribute. I had to also uncomment the section on JWT tokens. Once these were done, I was able to use the secret that I created for the admin user and now UAAC is working fine.

Thanks !
Viraj

Re: [CAUTION] [cf-bosh] CF BOSH PMC: BOSH Core Europe Call for Nominations

Marco Voelz

Dear Friends of BOSH,

SAP is nominating Felix Riegger as PM for the BOSH Europe Team. Felix has been a developer in the team since 2015 and has been pairing with me for the last few weeks to guarantee a smooth transitioning.

Please send any other nominations directly to me or in reply to this message no later than 23:59 GMT on Thursday, December 20, 2018.

From: <cf-bosh@...> on behalf of Marco Voelz <marco.voelz@...>
Date: Friday, 14. December 2018 at 14:31
To: "cf-bosh@..." <cf-bosh@...>, "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <cf-dev@...>
Subject: [CAUTION] [cf-bosh] CF BOSH PMC: BOSH Core Europe Call for Nominations

Dear Friends of BOSH,

I'm rotating into a different role within SAP, which means I'm stepping down from the BOSH Core Europe PM position.

Therefore, the BOSH Core Europe team operating out of Walldorf, Germany, has an opening for its PM. Please send nominations directly to me or in reply to this message no later than 23:59 GMT on Thursday, December 20, 2018.

At the same time, I'd like to stay as BOSH PMC lead. A big part of my new role at SAP is concerned with defining and shaping an opinion about the future of BOSH, which should fit nicely to the PMC lead position. If you have any concerns about this, please don't hesitate to contact me.

If you have any questions about the role or the nomination process, as described in the CFF governance documents (https://www.cloudfoundry.org/governance/cff_development_operations_policy/), please let me know.

Thanks and warm regards

Marco

CF CAB call for December is this Wednesday 19 @ 8a PST

Quick reminder that the CAB call for December (last one for 2018) is this Wednesday December 19th @ 8a PST.

We will have our regular PMCs highlights and two talks. One confirmed, so if you have one to give or to nominate then contact me directly ASAP.

The confirmed talk is a redux from CF Summit. Don’t want to miss it:

1. Terraform providers for Cloud Foundry by Guillaume Berche of Orange and Mevan Samaratunga of Pivotal [1]
2. Update on cf-dev — TO BE CONFIRMED [2]

All other info in agenda here [0].

Zoom soon. Best,

Re: Deploying UAA in cloud.gov does not work as intended

Shetty, Viraj S [CTR]

Adding more to the above ..

I was able to go to my deployed UAA login cloudfoundry welcome screen, was able to create/register a user and also was able to log in using the user. However, using UAAC has been a problem because I have not been adble to operate as an 'admin' user. The default admin user password does not work and so I am not able to do any administration.

Any help is appreciated.

Viraj

Deploying UAA in cloud.gov does not work as intended

Shetty, Viraj S [CTR]

I are trying to deploy UAA to cloud.gov (based on cloud foundry). Intention is to use that as the Identity management for all applications deployed in cloud.gov.  I followed the steps laid out in

https://docs.cloudfoundry.org/concepts/architecture/uaa.html#cf

I was able to get the code, build it and deploy locally.  Both below works fine

uaac target http://localhost:8080/uaa
uaac token client get admin -s adminsecret

Then, I followed the steps to deploy in cloud.gov. I created a manifest file as below

applications:
- name: fdic-uaa
  memory: 1024M
  disk_quota: 512M
  instances: 1
  buildpacks:
    - java_buildpack
  routes:
    - route: fdic-uaa-d.app.cloud.gov
  env:
    SPRING_PROFILES_ACTIVE: default
    UAA_URL: https://fdic-uaa-d.app.cloud.gov
    LOGIN_URL: https://fdic-uaa-d.app.cloud.gov

I followed the steps laid out in  "Deploy UAA to Cloud Foundry". After a few updates to uaa.yml file (uncomment SAML Key Configuration and added "encryption" field), i was able to deploy to cloud foundry without errors. Now when i enter the following command its okay (though it gives some error Unknown key: Max-Age = 86400)

uaac target fdic-uaa-d.app.cloud.gov

But on retrieving the token, i get the error "Bad Credentials"

uaac token client get admin -s adminsecret
error response:
{
  "error": "unauthorized",
  "error_description": "Bad credentials"
}
attempt to get token failed

The logs gave the following error

   2018-12-14T16:12:41.55-0500 [APP/PROC/WEB/0] OUT [2018-12-14 21:12:41.557] cloudfoundry-identity-server - ???? [http-nio-8080-exec-3] .... DEBUG --
- ClientDetailsAuthenticationProvider: User 'admin' not found
   2018-12-14T16:12:41.55-0500 [APP/PROC/WEB/0] OUT [2018-12-14 21:12:41.557] cloudfoundry-identity-server - ???? [http-nio-8080-exec-3] ....  INFO --
- Audit: PrincipalAuthenticationFailure ('null'): principal=admin, origin=[167.176.6.240], identityZoneId=[uaa]
   2018-12-14T16:12:41.55-0500 [APP/PROC/WEB/0] OUT [2018-12-14 21:12:41.557] cloudfoundry-identity-server - ???? [http-nio-8080-exec-3] ....  INFO --
- Audit: ClientAuthenticationFailure ('Bad credentials'): principal=admin, origin=[remoteAddress=167.176.6.240, clientId=admin], identityZoneId=[uaa]
   2018-12-14T16:12:41.55-0500 [APP/PROC/WEB/0] OUT [2018-12-14 21:12:41.558] cloudfoundry-identity-server - ???? [http-nio-8080-exec-3] .... DEBUG --
- ClientBasicAuthenticationFilter: Authentication request for failed: org.springframework.security.authentication.BadCredentialsException: Bad credentials

I also tried to add a clients section in the uaa.yml file and still get an error.

    clients:
      admin:
         secret: <some secret>
         authorized-grant-types: client_credentials
         scope: uaa.none
         authorities: uaa.admin,clients.admin,clients.read,clients.write,clients.secret

Any assistance will be helpful. Is there a reliable documentation on how to deploy UAA int ocloudfoundry ? I am not sure if I need to set some other atrributes in the uaa.yml

[...]

Support for custom/multiple ports is no longer experimental

Shannon Coen

For several years CF has supported app developers using the CF API to map routes to specific ports on their application. This eliminates the limitations that apps must listen on 8080, and that they can only listen on one port. However, we weren't happy with the API design and it has been in a perpetual experimental state since we haven't been able to prioritize a redesign.

We've decided to declare stable support for the existing implementation in the v2 API, and do a redesign in v3. We've removed the experimental disclaimers for the 'ports' field on /v2/apps and the /v2/route_mapping resources. These changes will appear in the docs when the next capi-release is cut.

We'll get some documentation in place, but the workflow is:
1. Specify the ports your app will listen on with the 'ports' field of /v2/apps
2. Restart your app to recreate containers with the port opened
3. Use the 'app_port' field of /v2/route_mappings to associate a route with one of the ports the app listens on; it must be one of those configured in step 1.

My apologies this decision took as long as it did.