Date

Re: [vcap-dev] cfenv, inspired by cf shell helper

Mike Youngstrom

I finally got around to using this tool. Don't know why it took me so
long. :) Nice work Ben!

Mike

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Ben Hale <bhale(a)gopivotal.com> wrote:

After reading Dan's post
<https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/d/msg/vcap-dev/Hy1WEJ452Xc/EGudP63gIfgJ>
about cf shell helper last Friday, I was inspired. Actually, I became a
bit obsessed by the idea of switching Cloud Foundry environments. On a
daily basis I work across 3 instances of Cloud Foundry, in at least 5
different spaces so running cf api, cf login, and cf target, is a way of
life and not one I'm particularly fond of. Immediately upon seeing his
work, I recognized how similar it was to another tool I use on a daily
basis, rbenv. So this weekend I forked rbenv, created cfenv, and am
happy to announce it today.

cfenv <https://github.com/nebhale/cfenv> is a way of managing multiple
Cloud Foundry environments simultaneously, using a series of CF_HOME
directories. It allows you to choose the Cloud Foundry environment at a
global level (using a ~/.cfenv/environment file), at a project level
(using a .cf-environment file), or in a particular shell (using a
CFENV_ENVIRONMENT environment variable). An example of how I might use
cfenv:

1. Most of the day I spend pushing to my own development environment.
Therefore I've run cfenv global development to ensure that by default
I use api.run.pivotal.io/bhale/development.
2. Whenever I work on the java-buildpack-system-tests
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry/java-buildpack-system-test> I want to
push to our system test environment. Therefore, I've gone into that
project's directory and run cfenv local system-test to ensure that I
always push into api.run.pivotal.io/jbp-test/system-test.
3. Occasionally I need to push to a copy of Cloud Foundry installed
using bosh-lite to test offline buildpack behavior. When that happens
I run cfenv shell bosh-lite to ensure that I push to
api.10.244.0.34.xip.io/admin/admin without affecting any other shells.

Suffice it to say, if you're familiar with how rbenv works, you'll feel
right at home with cfenv. Please see the installation instructions
<https://github.com/nebhale/cfenv#installation> for how to install it
(and its close relative cf-build
<https://github.com/nebhale/cf-build#installation>), but for OS X
Homebrew users, TL;DR:

$ brew tap nebhale/personal
$ brew install cfenv cf-build
$ echo 'eval "$(cfenv init -)"' >> ~/.bash_profile
$ source ~/.bash_profile

$ cfenv create development
$ cfenv global development
$ cf login

Please note that this project is not, in any way, associated with Pivotal
or my day job working on the Cloud Foundry Java Experience; this is just
something I've put together, and will be supporting, in my spare time.

Once again, a huge thanks goes out to Dan Mikusa for highlighting the
issue and a possible path to solving it. Hope you guys find cfenv as
useful as I do.

-Ben Hale

email to vcap-dev+unsubscribe(a)cloudfoundry.org.

Utilities PMC - 2015-05-19 Notes

Mike Dalessio

Hi all,

We had a meeting of the Utilities PMC today, permanent notes are at:

https://github.com/cloudfoundry/pmc-notes/blob/master/Utilities/2015-05-19-utilities.md

I've copied the notes below.

-mike

----

*# Utilities PMC Meeting 2015-05-19*

*## Agenda*

1. Update on CI tools (Mike Dalessio)
2. Update on CLI (Greg Oehman)
3. Update on Eclipse plugin and Java tools (Ryan Morgan)
4. Proposal to move `pivotal-cf-experimental/jibber_jabber` into
`cloudfoundry-incubator`
5. Incubating HP projects: Next steps
6. Open Discussion

*## Attendees*

- Chip Childers, Cloud Foundry Foundation
- Mike Dalessio, Pivotal (PMC lead)
- Gert Drapers, HP
- Ryan Morgan, Pivotal

*## Update on CI tools (Mike Dalessio)*

The Toolsmiths team is considering two new tracks of work:

__"krafa"__ is a simple web server and CLI tool used to manage a pool
of CF environments. Pipelines can "reserve" an environment for the
duration of its build, and then release it back into the
pool. Environments can have tags that can be filtered against in a
reservation query.

We're also considering a track of work that would examine a project's
source tree, discover dependencies (and locked versions of those
dependencies), and then check a NIST database for vulnerabilities in
those dependencies. This may end up as a docker image that can be
added to a Concourse pipeline, and may be extended to include other
security checks.

__Chip__ suggested that we should talk to Intel about their tools as
well. Chip will try to find the right contact there for a
conversation.

__Gert__ asked about code-style enforcement tools on C# projects. He
will send some information on what HP is using.

*## Update on CLI (Greg Oehman)*

Agenda item skipped, as both Greg and Michael Fraenkel are traveling.

*## Update on Eclipse plugin and Java tools (Ryan Morgan)*

* Eclipse tooling 1.8.2 released last week, enabling JRebel remoting. Was
demoed at summit.
- Video is being made to explain how to use JRebel with a CF app. URL
forthcoming when it's done.

* Proposal for moving the plugin to the Eclipse Foundation has been
completed, awaiting input from Chip.

* Started work on what will be the 1.8.3 release
- Exploring using Diego SSH access to debug without a sidecar process.

*## Proposal to move `pivotal-cf-experimental/jibber_jabber` into
`cloudfoundry-incubator`*

`jibber_jabber` provides i18n support to the CLI. It's being proposed to
incubate it.

Chip weighed in that we're still unwinding things from the Foundation
spinout, so let's just move it in and move on.

Action item:

- [ ] Mike will move this repo into `cloudfoundry-incubator`

*## Incubating HP projects: Next steps*

Several repositories are being incubated as of CF Summit:

* [Visual Studio plugin][vsp]
* [MSBuild tasks][msbuild]
* [.NET SDK][sdk]

After some discussion, it was decided to put all three repos under a single
umbrella project.

[vsp]: https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/cf-vs-extension
[msbuild]: https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/cf-msbuild-tasks
[sdk]: https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/cf-dotnet-sdk

Chip provided some context around what a "project" is, in that he
views it as a backlog of work, and not necessarily a 1-to-1
relationship with a code repository.

HP's team will work via a distributed committer model for the time
being. Gert will provide details around who is the PM, and who the
approved committers are. Mike will create a public Pivotal Tracker
project, and Chip will create a Github team for the repositories.

HP will maintain downstream forks of the incubating repositories for
now, so that they can sign their binaries for their product.

Action Items:

- [ ] Gert to provide a list of approved committers
- [ ] Mike Dalessio to create a public Tracker project and add people
- [ ] Chip to create a Github team to commit to the cf-incubator org
repositories

*## Open Discussion*

No other topics raised.

Re: Purge files on NFS or S3?

CF Runtime

Hi John,

James is correct, the resources do not get cleaned up. The system does not
have any runtime dependencies on any of them however. They are used when
pushing an app to prevent the user from having to push a large file that
the system has already seen.

You should be able to delete the contents of the resources blobstore. This
is the path defined by
properties.cc.resource_pool.resource_directory_key in your deployment
manifest.

Removing anything in the buildpacks, droplets, or packages folders can
cause problems in the running system.

- CF Runtime Team

john, i think the resource files may grow forever right now without
intervention.

i'm pretty confident that when apps are deleted that their droplets are
deleted with them and that proper garbage collection occurs with that.

i'm unaware of any NFS file system to s3 blob migration. you would need to
update the CC_DB references too i'm pretty sure. i'm interested if you
find
out more.

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 1:14 PM, John Wong <gokoproject at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi
> I just looked at our disk usage on NFS server. We have used like 200G
so
far, and I wonder if there's a systematic way to purge files we don't
need
(or how do I know I don't need them)?

Similarly, if I were to replace NFS server with S3 instead, does the
existing process (if any) work with S3?

Re: cloud foundry

James Bayer

i strongly recommend that you move on to cf v2 for new deployments. cf v1
has not been actively maintained for quite some time.

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 1:05 AM, 张祥 <zx1084583686(a)gmail.com> wrote:

when i install the cloudfoundry v1,i met a problem,could you help me ?
[image: 内嵌图片 1]

Re: Reg Mysql in pivotal cloud with plan 1GB with 400 connections

James Bayer

this email list is about cloud foundry oss, not pivotal commercial
software. you can always open a support case at pivotal.io/support for
commercial product inquiries.

the pcf mysql product is based on the oss cf mysql [1]. for each bosh
deployment of mysql you get a mysql compatible cluster. the cluster uses
mariadb and galera for the database nodes. the default configurations for
tunable parameters are listed in the spec file:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cf-mysql-release/blob/master/jobs/mysql/spec

what those values should be for your deployment and application workloads
are going to be highly dependent on what tradeoffs you want to make. the
service plan you use should indicate the number of connections available
with your plan, and how you configure max connections in your application
typically depends on the database access framework you use.

[1] github.com/cloudfoundry/cf-mysql-release

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 12:27 AM, Dew Agarwal <dew.agarwal(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Team,

I was looking into the performance of my application in cloud in
multi-threaded environment.
Can I get any document on the behaviour of mysql in cloud in multi
threaded environment.
Specially on number of connections(foreground/backgroud) per instance/
multiple instances using scaling feature etc.

Question: Suppose I have five databases used in my app, and am using 1GB
with 400 connection plan of mysql, what should be my max connection pool
size supported?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
D Agarwal

Re: Limit application instances number

Pablo Alonso Rodriguez <palonsoro@...>

Thank you for your answers.

Re: cloud foundry

Takeshi Morikawa

Cloud Foundry v1 (dev_setup) is no longer supported

http://grokbase.com/t/cloudfoundry.org/vcap-dev/13bd5tmwh2/got-error-error-installing-chef-during-vcap-installation

when i install the cloudfoundry v1,i met a problem,could you help me ?
[image: 内嵌图片 1]

cloud foundry

张祥 <zx1084583686 at gmail.com...>

Dew Agarwal <dew.agarwal@...>

Hi Team,

I was looking into the performance of my application in cloud in
multi-threaded environment.
Can I get any document on the behaviour of mysql in cloud in multi threaded
environment.
Specially on number of connections(foreground/backgroud) per instance/
multiple instances using scaling feature etc.

Question: Suppose I have five databases used in my app, and am using 1GB
with 400 connection plan of mysql, what should be my max connection pool
size supported?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
D Agarwal

Re: Limit application instances number

James Bayer

there is plans to add a max app instance count to the quota, which would be
enforceable either at the org or at the space level.

https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/83375624
https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/83375642

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 7:45 PM, Matthew Sykes <matthew.sykes(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Not that I'm aware of

That said, you can control the maximum memory an instance can allocate and
you can control the maximum memory in the quota. It's not the same but it
may be something you can leverage.

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 7:11 AM, Pablo Alonso Rodriguez <
palonsoro(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Good morning.

My question is quite simple: Is there any way to set a maximum number of
instances for applications? The idea is to prevent users from scaling an
application beyond a given limit of instances.

Thank you in advance.

Matthew Sykes
matthew.sykes(a)gmail.com

wrote:
Good morning.

My question is quite simple: Is there any way to set a maximum number of
instances for applications? The idea is to prevent users from scaling an
application beyond a given limit of instances.

Thank you in advance.

Matthew Sykes
matthew.sykes(a)gmail.com

Re: Problem for Chaos Lemur

stephen

Hi Paul, thank you for your quick response. I added the VSPHERE_HOST settings but it failed to restart. Refer to attached screenshot ' configuration.png '. Also I attached the log file 'restart.log'.

It seems to be a connect issue but I tried to connect the VSPHERE host via vSphere client with the below information:
VSPHERE_HOST: 10.32.70.119
VSPHERE_PASSWORD: Password
VSPHERE_USERNAME: root

And it can connect to the host successfully. Any help will be appreciated.