Date

metron_agent.deployment

Diego Lapiduz <diego@...>

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out an issue here while upgrading to 210 from
208.

It seems that a requirement has been added to the deployment manifests for
a "metron_agent.deployment" property but I can't find it anywhere in the
cf-release manifests.

From what I can tell the only manifest with that setting is
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cf-release/blob/master/example_manifests/minimal-aws.yml#L327
.

Is there a place to look for canonical manifests other than cf-release?
Should I just rely on the release notes?

I just added that property to cf-properties.yml and seems to work fine.

Thanks for understanding as we are going through our first couple of big
upgrades.

Cheers,
Diego

Re: [vcap-dev] Java OOM debugging

Lari Hotari <Lari@...>

This Java native memory leak debugging war story from a Twitter engineer
is very interesting:
http://www.evanjones.ca/java-native-leak-bug.html
Tweet is https://twitter.com/epcjones/status/603295445067014144 .

It seems to be very important to check all locations where
GzipInputStream (and other InflaterInputStream impl) and
GzipOutputStream (and other DeflaterOutputStream impl) are used.

I assume that an InputStream opened from a resource URL originating from
a Jar file could also leak native memory.
(ClassLoader.getResource(...).openStream()). This makes it a very common
source of native memory problems in Java.

It could be a coincidence, but Tomcat 8.0.20 seems to have changes in
this area:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/commit/6e5420c67fbad81973d888ad3701a392fac4fc71
(I linked to that commit in my email on May 14).

Lari

On 15-05-14 10:23 AM, Daniel Jones wrote:
Hi Lari,

Thanks again for your input. Have you seen this problem with versions
of Tomcat before 8.0.20?

David and I think we've narrowed down the issue to a change from using
Tomcat 8.0.18 to 8.0.21. We're running more tests and collaborating
with Pivotal support. We also noticed that non-prod versions of our
apps were taking longer to crash, so it would seem to be
activity-related at least.

Do you know how Tomcat's APR/NIO memory gets allocated? Is there a way
of telling from pmap whether pages are being used for NIO buffers or
by the APR?

I wonder if the other folks that have reported CF out of memory errors
with later versions of Tomcat are seeing slow creeps in native memory
consumption?

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Lari Hotari <Lari(a)hotari.net
<mailto:Lari(a)hotari.net>> wrote:

fyi. Tomcat 8.0.20 might be consuming more memory than 8.0.18:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/java-buildpack/issues/166#issuecomment-94517568

Other things we’ve tried:

- We set verbose garbage collection to verify there was
no memory size issues within the JVM. There wasn’t.

- We tried setting minimum memory for native, it had no
effect. The container still gets killed

- We tried adjusting the ‘memory heuristics’ so that
they added up to 80 rather than 100. This had the effect of
causing a delay in the container being killed. However it still
was killed.
I think adjusting memory heuristics so that they add up to 80
doesn't make a difference because the values aren't percentages.
The values are proportional weighting values used in the memory
calculation:
https://github.com/grails-samples/java-buildpack/blob/b4abf89/docs/jre-oracle_jre.md#memory-calculation

I found out that the only way to reserve "unused" memory is to set
a high value for the native memory lower bound in the
memory_sizes.native setting of config/open_jdk_jre.yml .
Example:
https://github.com/grails-samples/java-buildpack/blob/22e0f6a/config/open_jdk_jre.yml#L25

This seems like classic memory leak behaviour to me.
In my case it wasn't a classical Java memory leak, since the Java
application wasn't leaking memory. I was able to confirm this by
getting some heap dumps with the HeapDumpServlet
(https://github.com/lhotari/java-buildpack-diagnostics-app/blob/master/src/main/groovy/io/github/lhotari/jbpdiagnostics/HeapDumpServlet.groovy)
and analyzing them.

In my case the JVM's RSS memory size is slowly growing. It
probably is some kind of memory leak since one process I've been
monitoring now is very close to the memory limit. The uptime is
now almost 3 weeks.

Here is the latest diff of the meminfo report.
https://gist.github.com/lhotari/ee77decc2585f56cf3ad#file-meminfo_diff_example2-txt

From a Java perspective this isn't classical. The JVM heap isn't
filling up. The problem is that RSS size is slowly growing and
will eventually cause the Java process to cross the memory
boundary so that the process gets kill by the Linux kernel cgroups
OOM killer.

RSS size might be growing because of many reasons. I have been
able to slow down the growth by doing the various MALLOC_ and JVM
parameter tuning (-XX:MinMetaspaceExpansion=1M
-XX:CodeCacheExpansionSize=1M). I'm able to get a longer uptime,
but the problem isn't solved.

Lari

On 15-05-11 06:41 AM, Head-Rapson, David wrote:

Thanks for the continued advice.

We’ve hit on a key discovery after yet another a soak test this
weekend.

- When we deploy using Tomcat 8.0.18 we don’t see the issue

- When we deploy using Tomcat 8.0.20 (same app version,
same CF space, same services bound, same JBP code version, same
JRE version, running at the same time), we see the crashes
occurring after just a couple of hours.

Ideally we’d go ahead with the memory calculations you mentioned
however we’re stuck on lucid64 because we’re using Pivotal CF
1.3.x & we’re having upgrade issues to 1.4.x.

So we’re not able to adjust MALLOC_ARENA_MAX, nor are we able to
view RSS in pmap as you describe

Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 16:26:30 +0100
From: john mcteague <john.mcteague(a)gmail.com>
To: Erik Jasiak <ejasiak(a)pivotal.io>
Cc: cf-dev <cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>
Subject: Re: [cf-dev] Doppler zoning query

We are using cf v204 and all loggregators are the same size and config
(other than zone).

The distribution of requests across app instances is fairly even as far
as
I can see.

John.
On 26 May 2015 06:21, "Erik Jasiak" <ejasiak(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Hi John,

I'll be working on this with engineering in the morning; thanks
for
the details thus far.

This is puzzling: Metrons do not route traffic to dopplers outside
their zone today. If all your app instances are spread evenly, and
all are
serving an equal amount of requests, then I would expect no
major variability in Doppler load either.

For completeness, what version of CF are you running? I assume
your
configurations for all dopplers are roughly the same? All app
instances per
AZ are serving an equal number of requests?

Thanks,
Erik Jasiak

On Monday, May 25, 2015, john mcteague <john.mcteague(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Correct, thanks.

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 12:01 AM, James Bayer <jbayer(a)pivotal.io>
wrote:

ok thanks for the extra detail.

to confirm, during the load test, the http traffic is being routed
through zones 4 and 5 app instances on DEAs in a balanced way.
however the
dopplers associated with zone 4 / 5 are getting a very small amount
of load
sent their way. is that right?

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 3:45 PM, john mcteague <
john.mcteague(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

I am seeing logs from zone 4 and 5 when tailing the logs (*cf logs
hello-world | grep App | awk '{ print $2 }'*), I see a relatively
even
balance between all app instances, yet doppler on zones 1-3
consume far
greater cpu resources (15x in some cases) than zones 4 and 5.
Generally
zones 4 and 5 barely get above 1% utilization.

Running *cf curl /v2/apps/guid/stats | grep host | sort *shows 30
instances, 6 in each zone, a perfect balance.

Each loggregator is running with 8GB RAM and 4vcpus.

John

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 11:56 PM, James Bayer <jbayer(a)pivotal.io>
wrote:

john,

can you say more about "receiving no load at all"? for example, if
you restart one of the app instances in zone 4 or zone 5 do you
see logs
with "cf logs"? you can target a single app instance index to get
restarted
with using a "cf curl" command for terminating an app index [1].
you can
find the details with json output from "cf stats" that should
show you the
private IPs for the DEAs hosting your app, which should help you
figure out
which zone each app index is in.
http://apidocs.cloudfoundry.org/209/apps/terminate_the_running_app_instance_at_the_given_index.html

if you are seeing logs from zone 4 and zone 5, then what might be
happening is that for some reason DEAs in zone 4 or zone 5 are
not routable
somewhere along the path. reasons for that could be:
* DEAs in Zone 4 / Zone 5 not getting apps that are hosted there
listed in the routing table
* The routing table may be correct, but for some reason the
routers
cannot reach DEAs in zone 4 or zone 5 with outbound traffic and
routers
fails over to instances in DEAs 1-3 that it can reach
* some other mystery

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 2:06 PM, john mcteague <
john.mcteague(a)gmail.com> wrote:

We map our dea's , dopplers and traffic controllers in 5 logical
zones using the various zone properties of doppler, metron_agent
and
traffic_controller. This aligns to our physical failure domains
in
openstack.

During a recent load test we discovered that zones 4 and 5 were
receiving no load at all, all traffic went to zones 1-3.

What would cause this unbalanced distribution? I have a single
app
running 30 instances and have verified it is evenly balanced
across all 5
zones (6 instances in each). I have additionally verified that
each logical
zone in the bosh yml contains 1 dea, doppler server and traffic
controller.

Thanks,
John

End of cf-dev Digest, Vol 2, Issue 73

Re: Doppler zoning query

John Tuley <jtuley@...>

wrote:

- From etcd I see 5 unique entries, all 5 doppler hosts are listed
with the correct zone
- All metron_agent.json files list the correct zone name
- All doppler.json files also contain the correct zone name

All 5 doppler servers contain the following two errors, in varying amounts.

{"timestamp":1432671780.232883453,"process_id":1422,"
source":"doppler","log_level":"error","message":"AppStoreWatcher: Got
error while waiting for ETCD events: store request timed
out","data":null,"file":"/var/vcap/data/compile/doppler/loggregator/src/
github.com/cloudfoundry/loggregatorlib/store/app_service_store_watcher.go
","line":78,"method":"
github.com/cloudfoundry/loggregatorlib/store.(*AppServiceStoreWatcher).Run
"}

[...]

Message: 2

Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 16:26:30 +0100
From: john mcteague <john.mcteague(a)gmail.com>
To: Erik Jasiak <ejasiak(a)pivotal.io>
Cc: cf-dev <cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>

*************************************

wrote:

[...]

Re: scheduler

Onsi Fakhouri <ofakhouri@...>

Diego is very much usable at this point and we're encouraging beta testers to start putting workloads on it. Check out github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/diego for all things Diego.

Diego supports one off tasks. It's up to the consumer (e.g. Cloud Controller) to submit the tasks when they want them run. We'd like to bubble this functionality up to the CC but it's not a very high priority at the moment.

Onsi

Sent from my iPad

On May 26, 2015, at 8:21 AM, Corentin Dupont <corentin.dupont(a)create-net.org> wrote:

Another question, what is the status of Diego? Is there an expected date for its release?
Is it useable already?
If I understand correctly, Diego doesn't supports cron-like jobs, but will facilitate them?

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 5:08 PM, James Bayer <jbayer(a)pivotal.io> wrote:
those are exciting use cases, thank you for sharing the background!

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 2:37 AM, Corentin Dupont <cdupont(a)create-net.org> wrote:
Hi James, thanks for the answer!
We are interested to implement a job scheduler for CF. Do you think this could be interesting to have?

We are working in a project called DC4Cities (http://www.dc4cities.eu) were the objective is to make data centres use more renewable energy.
We want to use PaaS frameworks such as CloudFoundry to achieve this goal.
The idea is to schedule some PaaS tasks at the moment there is more renewable energies (when the sun is shining).

That's why I had the idea to implement a job scheduler for batch jobs in CF. For example one could state "I need to have this task to run for 2 hours per day" and the scheduler could choose when to run it.

Another possibility is to have application-oriented SLA implemented at CF level. For example if some KPIs of the application are getting too low, CF would spark a new container. If the SLA is defined with some flexibility, it could also be used to schedule renewable energies. For example in our trial scenarios we have an application that convert images. Its SLA says that it needs to convert 1000 images per day, but you are free to produce them when you want i.e. when renewable energies are available...

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 7:29 PM, James Bayer <jbayer(a)pivotal.io> wrote:
there is ongoing work to support process types using buildpacks, so that the same application codebase could be used for multiple different types of processes (web, worker, etc).

once process types and diego tasks are fully available, we expect to implement a user-facing api for running batch jobs as application processes.

what people do today is run a long-running process application which uses something like quartz scheduler [1] or ruby clock with a worker system like resque [2]

[1] http://quartz-scheduler.org/
[2] https://github.com/resque/resque-scheduler

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 6:19 AM, Corentin Dupont <cdupont(a)create-net.org> wrote:
To complete my request, I'm thinking of something like this in the manifest.yml:

applications:
- name: virusscan
memory: 512M
instances: 1
schedule:
- startFrom : a date
endBefore : a date
walltime : a duration
precedence : other application name
moldable : true/false

What do you think?

just to know, is there a project to add a job scheduler in Cloud
Foundry?
I'm thinking of something like the Heroku scheduler (
https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/scheduler).
That would be very neat to have regular tasks triggered...
Thanks,
Corentin

--

Corentin Dupont
Researcher @ Create-Netwww.corentindupont.info

Re: List Reply-To behavior

Chip Childers <cchilders@...>

I've asked the admin team to make this adjustment. Thanks for pointing this
out!

Chip Childers | Technology Chief of Staff | Cloud Foundry Foundation

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 10:06 AM, James Bayer <jbayer(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

yes, this has affected me

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 4:33 AM, Daniel Mikusa <dmikusa(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 6:22 AM, Matthew Sykes <matthew.sykes(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

The vcap-dev list used to use a Reply-To header pointing back to the
list such that replying to a post would automatically go back to the list.
The current mailman configuration for cf-dev does not set a Reply-To header
and the default behavior is to reply to the author.

While I understand the pros and cons of setting the Reply-To header,
this new behavior has bitten me several times and I've found myself
re-posting a response to the list instead of just the author.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone else has been bitten by this
behavior and would like a Reply-To header added back...
+1 and +1

Matthew Sykes
matthew.sykes(a)gmail.com

Re: CVE-2015-1834 CC Path Traversal vulnerability

Noburou TANIGUCHI

Thank you for the quick response, Dieu!

Re: scheduler

Corentin Dupont <cdupont@...>

just to know, is there a project to add a job scheduler in Cloud
Foundry?
I'm thinking of something like the Heroku scheduler (
https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/scheduler).
That would be very neat to have regular tasks triggered...
Thanks,
Corentin

--

Corentin Dupont
Researcher @ Create-Netwww.corentindupont.info

Re: CVE-2015-1834 CC Path Traversal vulnerability

Dieu Cao <dcao@...>

Yes, that's the correct commit to cherry pick for the cc path traversal
vulnerability.

-Dieu
CF Runtime PM

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 12:30 AM, nota-ja <dev(a)nota.m001.jp> wrote:

I understand the CFF strongly recommends to upgrade to v208 or after, but
for
those (including us) who cannot immediately upgrade, I want to know if
there
is a workaround against this vulnerability.

I've found that there is a commit which seems related this vulnerability:

https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cloud_controller_ng/commit/5257a8af6990e71cd1e34ae8978dfe4773b32826

Cherry-picking this commit may be a workaround? Or we need another commits
to cherry-pick?

Thanks in advance.

Erik Jasiak <ejasiak@...>

<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','john.mcteague(a)gmail.com');>> wrote:

[...]

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 2:06 PM, john mcteague <john.mcteague(a)gmail.com