Date

Re: CAB call for November 2019 is next week Wednesday 20th @ 8a Pacific - LAST CAB call for 2019!

Michael Maximilien

Hello from rainy San Diego, CA.

This is a final REMINDER... call in a few hours, see below. No planned talks, just updates, and chit chat, so might be done early.

Questions for you: what shall we do do with these calls in 2020? What should we change (if any)? Format? Frequency? Lead?

Zoom soon. Best,

Max

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 4:03 PM Michael Maximilien <maxim@...> wrote:
FYI...

CAB call for November 2019 is next week Wednesday 20th @ 8a Pacific.

If you have a talk, a project, or would like to present something, please contact me ASAP.

Reply here (to me) or ping me on Slack. Best,

dr.max Sent from my iPhone http://maximilien.org

Re: Anyone want to take over cf-zsh autocomplete?

Danny Rosen

Thanks Chip. This plugin has had a history of maintainers, thanks to Ferran Rodenas (@ferdy) who originally authored it. As an added bonus, once the plugin is up to date and running feel free to put a pull into https://github.com/zsh-users/zsh-completions/blob/master/src/_cf as well.

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 1:10 PM Chip Childers <cchilders@...> wrote:
Hey folks,

Danny Rosen had built a zsh autocomplete for CF tool, and is looking to see if anyone in the community wants to take over maintaining it... https://github.com/Dannyzen/cf-zsh-autocomplete-plugin

If you want to take it on, or if a couple of people want to share the responsibility, shout out. I can help move it into the cloudfoundry-community GH org if the volunteer(s) want, or you can do with it as you want. :)

Chip Childers, CTO
Cloud Foundry Foundation

Anyone want to take over cf-zsh autocomplete?

Chip Childers <cchilders@...>

Hey folks,

Danny Rosen had built a zsh autocomplete for CF tool, and is looking to see if anyone in the community wants to take over maintaining it... https://github.com/Dannyzen/cf-zsh-autocomplete-plugin

If you want to take it on, or if a couple of people want to share the responsibility, shout out. I can help move it into the cloudfoundry-community GH org if the volunteer(s) want, or you can do with it as you want. :)

Chip Childers, CTO
Cloud Foundry Foundation

Announcing new Cloud Foundry Buildpacks

Elliott Shanks

TL;DR:

In the coming weeks, the CF Buildpacks team will be releasing a new Node.js buildpack, composed of modular buildpacks, that implements the Cloud Native Buildpacks (CNB) API. This buildpack can be used with any platform that supports CNB.

A buildpack release that contains a compatibility layer for use on the Cloud Foundry Application Runtime can be found in the nodejs-cnb repo. Add the buildpack to your list of buildpacks and `cf push` to begin building Node.js applications with the new Node.js buildpack.

Introduction to new buildpacks

Over the past year, the buildpacks team has worked to build the next set of Cloud Foundry buildpacks using the Cloud Native Buildpacks (CNB) API. In the coming weeks, we will be releasing the Node.js CNB. This new buildpack is compatible with any CNB platform (such as the pack CLI or kpack) and additionally contains a limited compatibility layer for the Cloud Foundry Application Runtime. (Note that the compatibility layer produces a droplet, while CNB platforms output special, rebasable OCI images.)

What are Cloud Native Buildpacks?

Cloud Native Buildpacks, a CNCF sandbox project, uses a modular approach to building applications by splitting major dependencies and operations on applications into their own dedicated CNBs. What was once the Node.js buildpack is now a combination of the node-engine, yarn, and npm CNBs. This allows for a transparent build process that is easier to debug when a build fails. CNB also employs better caching and data deduplication, and as a result, faster builds and faster deploys on platforms that support OCI images.

Note: Due to the modular nature of CNB, the new Node.js buildpack does not currently include certain external integration helpers, such as those for APM agents. It has been difficult to manage and test these integrations, and we plan to shift towards modular integration CNBs that are maintained outside the project by integration authors and platform vendors.

Using CNBs on Cloud Foundry Application Runtime

To use the new Node.js CNB, it is as simple as grabbing the shimmed release artifact from the nodejs-cnb repo and adding the buildpack to your list of buildpacks on your foundation.

Note: Because the CNB API results in an OCI image, a compatibility (shim) is required in order to translate the new Cloud Native Buildpacks API to the existing CF Buildpack API. This compatibility layer is less performant than CNB, but fully supports CF multi-buildpack mode when multiple CNBs are specified, by translating it to CNB’s native modular buildpack mode. Additionally, it provides compatibility with older supply-only CF buildpacks, as long as those buildpacks precede the CNBs.

To add the new buildpack to CFAR:

cf create-buildpack <buildpack-name> <path/to/downloaded_shimmed_nodejs_buildpack> <detection order>

If you want to cf push without -b <buildpack-name> use a <detection order> number smaller than the current Node.js buildpack detection order number during `create-buildpack`. To see the detection order of buildpacks run `cf buildpacks`.

Ways to Provide Feedback

The buildpacks team would love to gather feedback from the CF community about your experience using the Node.js CNB when it is released. As always, you can drop into the Cloud Foundry slack in the #buildpacks channel to reach out.

We hope that you are as excited as we are about the new future of buildpacks.

Respectfully,

CF Buildpacks Team

Re: Eirini is 1.0!

Troy Topnik

Whenrini? Nowrini? Forrealrini?

Congratulations!

TT

--
Troy Topnik
Senior Product Manager,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: [php-buildpack] End of support for PHP versions 7.1.x after 2019-12-14

Elliott Shanks

The first release of the PHP buildpack after December 14, 2019 will no longer include PHP versions 7.1.x. These PHP versions will no longer be supported upstream.[1] Please migrate your PHP apps to supported versions of PHP before that time.

Note: Unless you are manually specifying a version of PHP for the buildpack to use, or you have customized your PHP buildpack, no action is required.

[1] https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

Thanks,

Elliott Shanks, CF Buildpacks PM

Re: CF Application Runtime PMC: Garden-Windows Project Lead Call for Nominations

Eric Malm <emalm@...>

Hi, everyone,

Pivotal is nominating Kartik Lunkad for the Garden-Windows Project Lead in the Application Runtime PMC.

Kartik is a Staff Product Manager at Pivotal working closely with the Garden-Windows team as part of driving the product vision and strategy for .NET and Windows investments in Pivotal products.

Previously, Kartik was a Platform Architect at Pivotal focused on helping Fortune-100 enterprise customers transform their technology teams to build and deliver software faster with Cloud Foundry. Prior to Pivotal, Kartik worked as a software engineer at Citrix, a technology consultant at PwC, and an operational fellow at Make A Difference.

Please send any other nominations directly to me or in reply to this message no later than 11:59 PM PST on Monday, November 25, 2019.

Thanks,
Eric Malm

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 4:50 PM Eric Malm <emalm@...> wrote:
Hi, everyone,

William Martin, the lead for the Garden-Windows project within the Application Runtime PMC, is stepping down from the project, as he is now focused on responsibilities internal to Pivotal. We thank him for his service.

The Garden-Windows team, located in New York, now has an opening for its project lead. Project leads must be nominated by a Cloud Foundry Foundation member. Please send nominations directly to me or in reply to this message no later than 11:59 PM PST on Monday, November 25, 2019.

Also, if you have any questions about the role or the nomination process, as described in the CFF governance documents (https://www.cloudfoundry.org/governance/cff_development_operations_policy/), please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric Malm, CF Application Runtime PMC Lead

[...]

Congratulations to the whole Eirini team!

Julz and team, interested in presenting at the next CAB call next week Wednesday @ 8a Pacific time?

Perhaps an overview of 1.0, brief demo(s) of features.

Also any roadmap for next release will be interesting as well as how you all plan to sync both with CF and k8s releases?

Let me know soon. Feel free to slack if you want to discuss.

Best,

Max

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 10:33 PM Ian Huston <ihuston@...> wrote:
Congratulations Eirini team, and everyone involved!

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 at 11:59, Krannich, Bernd <bernd.krannich@...> wrote:

Hi Eirini team,

Great news – congratulations and thank you very much to all the individuals and companies contributing!

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Julz Friedman <julz.friedman@...>
Reply to: "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date: Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <cf-dev@...>
Subject: [cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!

Hi cloud foundries,

We’re happy to announce the Eirini team has hit our internal “1.0” milestone and shipped a release marked as 1.0 [0]!.

This means we believe the core Eirini component is stable and ready to use (although there are some optional features - such as the new v3 API, tasks and container-to-container networking support - that are only available in the Diego backend, for now).

This work would not have been possible without contributions from across the Cloud Foundry community, but especially from IBM, Pivotal, SAP, SUSE and Google.

# What is Eirini?

Eirini brings the simplicity of `cf push` to Kubernetes. Kubernetes has quickly become the de-facto standard container scheduler across the cloud community, and now - via Eirini - Cloud Foundry users can take advantage of this powerful technology to put their containers on servers. Even better (in my opinion anyway), Kubernetes users can now try out the Cloud Foundry developer experience in a native, easy and interoperable way -- which means: less YML, more code.

# How can I try Eirini / Cloud Foundry on Kubernetes?

Eirini-based Cloud Foundry is already available commercially as a technology preview from IBM Cloud, SUSE and Pivotal. You can also deploy your own Eirini from the open-source bits by following the instructions in the eirini-release repository [1] (these are still a little harder than we'd like them to be, but there's lots of work going on in the wider eiriniverse to make them better!) - and let us know how you get on (see next paragraph!).

# Talking to us:

We’re available in Cloud Foundry slack in the #eirini-dev and #cf-for-k8s channels, and there’s a cross-community meeting [2] discussing CF on Kubernetes and the broader “Eiriniverse” every second Tuesday which you can find in the CF Community Calendar [3] - everyone is very very welcome to join and help steer the direction of the projects.

Thanks y’all-

The Eirini Team,

[0]: https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/eirini-release/releases/tag/v1.0.0

[1]: https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/eirini-release

[2]: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/r/month/2019/11/12?eid=N283OHQzM2JrZXIwN2pmNDlvMjc2a25mYTZfMjAxOTExMTJUMTgzMDAwWiBjbG91ZGZvdW5kcnkub3JnX29lZGIwaWxvdGc1dWRzcGRsdjMyYTV2Yzc4QGc

[3]: https://www.cloudfoundry.org/community-calendar/

--

Ian Huston

Director of Engineering
Pivotal Dublin

Mobile: +353 87 114 9962
Office: +353 1 697 1244

Re: Eirini is 1.0!

Ian Huston <ihuston@...>

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Julz Friedman <julz.friedman@...>
Reply to: "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date: Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <cf-dev@...>

[...]

Istio integration for Cloud Foundry on Kubernetes

Gabriel Rosenhouse <grosenhouse@...>

Hi all,

The Cloud Foundry Networking team is planning to integrate Istio into our CF-on-K8s efforts.

In particular, we're planning to automatically inject Envoy proxy sidecars into all application workloads, and to automatically inject sidecars into Kubernetes-hosted system components such as Cloud Controller and UAA.

We have a bit more detail (and diagrams) in this document [0].

Please leave feedback and questions as comments there, or reply to this email.

Regards,
Gabe

Re: Eirini is 1.0!

Eric Malm <emalm@...>

Congratulations to Julz and all the past and present contributors on the Eirini team! That's great news, and it's exciting to hear about the forward progress!

Best,
Eric

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 7:44 AM Nima <nkavian@...> wrote:
This is great news, way to go Eirinauts!

On Nov 12, 2019, at 7:14 AM, Simon D Moser <smoser@...> wrote:

Big shoutout to the awesome Eirini team and contributing companies. Y'all rock!

From:        "Krannich, Bernd" <bernd.krannich@...>
To:        "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date:        12/11/2019 12:58
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!
Sent by:        cf-dev@...

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Julz Friedman <julz.friedman@...>
Reply to:
"cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date:
Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To:
"Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <cf-dev@...>
Subject:
[cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!

[...]

Nima

From:        "Krannich, Bernd" <bernd.krannich@...>
To:        "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date:        12/11/2019 12:58

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Julz Friedman <julz.friedman@...>
Reply to:
"cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date:
Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To:
"Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <cf-dev@...>
Subject:
[...]

Simon D Moser

Big shoutout to the awesome Eirini team and contributing companies. Y'all rock!

From:        "Krannich, Bernd" <bernd.krannich@...>
To:        "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date:        12/11/2019 12:58

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Julz Friedman <julz.friedman@...>
Reply to:
"cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date:
Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To:
"Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <cf-dev@...>
Subject:
[...]

Krannich, Bernd

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Julz Friedman <julz.friedman@...>
Reply to: "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date: Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <cf-dev@...>

[...]

Eirini is 1.0!

Julz Friedman

[...]

cf CLI v7.0.0-beta.27 is available

Abby Chau

Hi everyone,

We've released cf7 CLI beta.27! Here are some highlights:
  • now the start command:
    • stages your app to support the popular cf p app --no-start use case
    • if you've rolled back, starts the app with the droplet you've rolled back to
    • see the upgrade guide for more information
  • running tasks when the app is not a lrp (see documentation for usage):
    • now push supports a new --task flag (configure your (v3) manifest with a task process type)
    • run-task now supports a --process flag and command is no longer a required arg
  • support for adding labels to the domain resource. See documentation for usage.
See release notes for more information including new commands now backed by the v3 API.
Review our roadmap for information on what's coming next, and to provide feedback for items under consideration.

If you are using the cf CLI v7 release, we would love to hear from you. Please respond via this email or find us in Cloud Foundry Slack #cli or #v3-acceleration-team.

Best,

Abby, the cf CLI and v3 Acceleration teams

The Cloud Foundry Volume Services team wants your feedback.

Hjortshoj, Julian <Julian.Hjortshoj@...>

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the bulk email.  If you don't use volume services in CF, and have no plans to use them, you can discard this message.

If you are still reading however, then we'd really like to hear from you to better prioritize our future work.

We've created a customer questionnaire which we are really hoping some customers will fill out. We have made all the questions on the form optional so that you can tell us as little or as much as you want. You can find the feedback form here: https://forms.gle/64YsHNvCyr2URGKY9

Thanks much,
-Julian & the Volume Services team.

cf CLI 6.47.2 released today

Abby Chau

Hi everyone,

The cf CLI team released v6.47.2 today which includes a bump to Golang 1.12.12 to address Golang-related security concerns.

Please reach out if you have any questions. Thanks.

Best,

Abby and the cf CLI team

601 - 620 of 9377