Date

BOSH projects adopting distributed committer model

Shatarupa Nandi <snandi@...>

Dear Cloud Foundry Community,

Over the last year, we have seen the industry shift towards deploying software on top of Kubernetes. As a result, we have all chosen to invest heavily in building on top of Kubernetes. Separately, we have also observed that BOSH has reached a point of stability and maturity, such that there aren’t lots of incoming feature requests and enhancements to add.

We continue to view BOSH as an important project and are still fully committed to supporting our OSS users using BOSH for the next couple years . However, in light of these changes, several BOSH PMC projects[1] will be shifting from the pairing model to the distributed committer model (for more information about distributed committer vs pairing models, see the CFF Development Operations Policy [2], section IV.B.). Shatarupa Nandi (snandi@..., @rupa on CFF Slack) and Nadja Conklin (nconklin@..., @Nadja Conklin on CFF Slack) will temporarily step in as Project Leads.

We are moving away from having a full time team working on each of the projects. Instead, we will have 6-8 engineers who will dedicate a portion of their time on a regular basis for ongoing support and maintenance of the BOSH projects. This will likely result in the following changes:

  • A reduced cadence of cutting new stemcells and patching existing stemcells for low and medium severity CVEs. Presently, we aim to cut new stemcell patches every 2 weeks. We will now be doing the same every 6 weeks. We will maintain the status quo for high and critical CVEs and will patch those as soon as possible.

  • We will pause working on Bionic stemcells and will not be cutting a new line of Bionic stemcells. We are aware that Xenial stemcells are supported until April 2021. This is an area where we are seeking help from the CFF community. Please see the end of the email. We may pick up this work during the 2nd half of the year, depending on cf-for-k8s adoption and our level of staffing on BOSH.

  • A reduced cadence of new releases of BOSH PMC projects[1]. Since there will be little active development, we will move to cutting releases ad-hoc when there are enough changes built up.

  • We will pause active development on the various CPIs (including OpenStack CPI, Azure CPI, GCP CPI, and AWS CPI.) We will continue to patch critical bugs, backwards incompatible IaaS API changes, and high severity CVEs. However, we will not be adding features to extend the capabilities of the CPIs.

  • While we will continue to answer questions about BOSH, we will likely be less responsive than before. We still hope to answer questions on these Slack channels within a reasonable time. We will be most active in #bosh. Other BOSH Slack channels (for example, #bosh-core-dev) will see reduced activity and will be deprecated over time.

We would like to seek help from other members of the Cloud Foundry community to help with ongoing maintenance of the BOSH projects. Here are some ways in which you can help us:

  • Please help your friends in the community by answering questions on #bosh

  • If you would like to contribute to adding Bionic support and/or start publishing Bionic stemcells on bosh.io, we would welcome PRs and will be happy to work with you to review and merge them. If you are interested in forming an OSS team to build Bionic stemcells and add support for Bionic to Cloud Foundry components, please reach out to Marco Voelz or Shatarupa Nandi.

  • If you would like improvements in BOSH and/or the CPIs, please consider contributing the feature directly via PRs to the various repos

  • If you notice a buildup of features / fixes that warrant a release being cut, ping the team via cf-bosh@...

  • If you would like to be a Project Lead for any of these projects, please reach out to Shatarupa Nandi and/or Nadja Conklin.

Thank you for your help and support!

[1] This includes the following repos: bosh, bosh-agent, bosh-dns-release, bosh-linux-stemcell-builder, bosh-deployment, bosh-cli, bbl, bosh.io github org, docs-bosh, bpm-release, bosh-google-cpi-release, bosh-azure-cpi-release, bosh-openstack-cpi-release, bosh-aws-cpi-release, bosh-lite, bosh-utils, bosh-s3cli, bosh-acceptance-tests, jumpbox-deployment, os-conf-release.

[2] https://www.cloudfoundry.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/CFF-DEV-OPS-POLICY.pdf

Announcing smb-volue-k8s-release alpha #services #cf

jhjortshoj@...

The Cloud Foundry Volume Services team has shipped the first alpha version of our SMB volume service.

This service is designed to deploy on top of cf-for-k8s and allows you to mount SMB shares into your Cloud Foundry applications using the same workflow you are accustomed to in cf-deployment.

You can find the release here: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/smb-volume-k8s-release/releases/tag/v0.146.0-alpha

Please try it out, and let us know if you have any feedback. You can find us in the #cf-volume-services channel in Cloud Foundry slack, or just post issues to the GitHub repository.

Cheers,
-the Volume Services team

Re: Bi-weekly Round-Up: Technical + Ecosystem Updates

Chris Clark

It is an understatement when we say “these are unprecedented times.” During these times of uncertainty, the Cloud Foundry Foundation wants to offer an open zoom “break room” for our community. Please feel free to “walk” into this break room and hang out with others. (Please do remember: Code of conduct applies here as well.)

From the Last Few Weeks:

  • KubeCF released v1.0 AND v1.0.1! Message here. Blog post here. Press release here.
  • Stratos released v3.0! Message here.
  • CF routing v0.199.0 was released. Message here.
  • Miguel Luna has taken over as project lead of the Services API project.
  • CF for Kubernetes SIG call video from March 17 is up. Focus on container to container networking. Video here.
  • CF CAB call video from March 18 is up here. Nice update and demo of CF-for-k8s!

Community Updates:

  • Have a question for the staff at Cloud Foundry Foundation? Want to stay current with updates for the Foundation? Join the new #cff-forum channel on the community Slack.

All things Cloud Foundry Summit:

Dates To Remember (All times US Pacific):

  • CF Operators Sig Meeting – 8:00 AM on March 25
  • CF for Kubernetes SIG call – 8:30 AM on March 31
  • Bi-Weekly CF App Runtime PMC meeting – 10:30 AM on March 31

Check the community calendar for updates and meeting details here: https://www.cloudfoundry.org/community-calendar/

Interesting Finds from Around the Web:

Who’s hiring?

Check out the jobs board https://www.cloudfoundry.org/cf-jobs/

Looking for an industry event to attend or to submit a speaking proposal? We put together a helpful calendar of events for 2020: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=Y2xvdWRmb3VuZHJ5Lm9yZ181Yjg2a2dobzkwdmNqOWtncDE3cjljYjh1c0Bncm91cC5jYWxlbmRhci5nb29nbGUuY29t

CFNASummit 2020: CFP Extended!

Swarna Podila

Dear Cloud Foundry Community,
Please note that the deadline to submit your speaking proposals for Cloud Foundry Summit North America 2020 has been extended.

Here is the new timeline:
CFP Deadline: 11:59pm (US Pacific) April 3, 2020
Schedule Announcement: April 22, 2020

You can find a more detailed timeline here [1].  Please also stay tuned to this page [2] as we post updates around the event plan, given the times we are in now.  If you have any questions, please drop me a note or post it on #summit on CF Slack.

During these times, if anyone wants informal community calls where we just hangout on zoom to socialize, please drop me a note here or on slack.

Please stay healthy.
Bleiben Sie gesund.

--

-- Swarna Podila (she/her)
Senior
 | Cloud Foundry Foundation

You can read more about pronouns here, or please ask if you'd like to find out more.

KubeCF 1.0.1 is out

Jaime Gomes

Hello everyone,

KubeCF 1.0.1 is out!
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/kubecf/releases/tag/v1.0.1

It's a patch version that fixes some of the issues that the community found on previous version.

Many thanks to all and keep opening issues/PRs and stay tuned for another release soon ;)

regards,

Jaime

KubeCF Ceremonies Schedule

Jaime Gomes

Edited

Hi,

just to inform everyone about the KubeCF schedule for the team ceremonies, starting this Thursday.

Scheduling:

  • Retro/Planning: Thursday @5:30 pm (CET) for one hour
  • Standup: Every day @5:30 pm (CET)

Joining info: meet.google.com/fpk-gdgx-gpe

OR

+40 31 227 7450 (PIN: 724933432)

Please be aware that the schedule may change during the first sprints since we're still figuring out how to cover multiple timezones (EET, CET, CDT, PDT) without too much impact on everyone's lives.

Cheers
Jaime

Statement from the Cloud Foundry Foundation regarding COVID-19

Chip Childers <cchilders@...>

To our community and members,

We recognize the global emergency caused by COVID-19 is impacting all of us. Our thoughts are with our community, members, friends, and colleagues as we approach this new challenge together.

As many parts of the world are implementing social distancing and, in many cases, urging or even requiring citizens to stay at home, many of us are privileged to be able to work from home. Some of our project teams have significant experience working and pairing remotely. For those of you that are new to working from home, please reach out to the larger community for support and or best practices. If you have experience working remotely, we encourage you to share your best practices with others -- both in the community and more broadly (in the form of blog posts, podcasts, tweets). Now is the time for our community to show its support for each other in any way possible.

As we near our June 25th Cloud Foundry Summit North America, please know that we are actively monitoring the situation as it evolves and will be adjusting plans as necessary to ensure the safety and health of our community. As of today, we remain hopeful we will have the opportunity to come together in person. On Friday, we updated the event’s novel coronavirus update page. We will keep you updated on any future changes to the event plans, and remind everyone to continue to check for updates on that page.

It is important to remember that each of us will experience the impact of this outbreak in different ways. Our community is a global network of individuals who genuinely care about each other. In this time of uncertainty, let us demonstrate that kindness to each other by remaining flexible and supportive - in the Cloud Foundry community and in your local community. Help where you can. Be patient, be safe, and remember to take care of yourself. We will all get through this together.

In the meantime, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us, at the Foundation, if there is anything we can do to better support you during this time.

Chip Childers, CTO
Cloud Foundry Foundation

Reminder: CAB call on Wednesday, March 18th @ 8AM PT / 11AM ET / 4PM CET

Troy Topnik

... 15:00 UTC in case I got the daylight savings conversion wrong.

On the agenda are updates from the Foundation and the PMC as usual, plus a demo of CF-on-K8s from Saikiran Yerram, Release Integration project lead.

Agenda:

 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SCOlAquyUmNM-AQnekCOXiwhLs6gveTxAcduvDcW_xI

Let me know if I've missed anything.

NB: The agenda document was getting very long so I cut the older items and put them into a new CAB Agenda Attic document, linked from the original. Hope that works for everyone (if not I can revert).

Calendar deets:
----------
CF month CAB calls used to discuss Cloud Foundry community related news and QAs
Chat room: go to slack.cloudfoundry.org and then join the #cab channel
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/757994996

Or iPhone one-tap :
    US: +16468769923,,757994996#  or +16699006833,,757994996#
Or Telephone:
        US: +1 646 876 9923  or +1 669 900 6833  or +1 408 638 0968
    Meeting ID: 757 994 996
    International numbers available: https://zoom.us/zoomconference?m=BbM_MZowkH08pdKycQk10at13V5cLneM

Join Zoom Meeting
https://zoom.us/j/886369973

Meeting ID: 886 369 973

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,886369973# US (San Jose)
+16465588656,,886369973# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
        877 369 0926 US Toll-free
        855 880 1246 US Toll-free
        +1 647 558 0588 Canada
        855 703 8985 Canada Toll-free
Meeting ID: 886 369 973
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abSAPsJbM

Thanks,

TT

--
Troy Topnik
Senior Product Manager,

Re: PHP-CFEnv Announcement #cf #php #services

Daniel Mikusa

That's awesome, thanks for sharing!

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 4:42 AM <dmcintyre@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Just want to let the PHPers among you know I've added a new repo php-cfenv (https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/php-cfenv)

Inspired by java-cfenv and cf-helper-php, this library makes it easy for PHP apps to consume services in CloudFoundry.

I've also posted a (really really basic) demo app showing binding to MongoDB (https://github.com/dmcintyre-pivotal/php-cfenv-demo)

All feedback gratefully received.

Duncan

Re: PHP-CFEnv Announcement #cf #php #services

Dr Nic Williams <drnicwilliams@...>

Great idea Duncan. Great to have more sample apps for PHP.

Stark & Wayne LLC
+61 437 276 076
twitter @drnic

PHP-CFEnv Announcement #cf #php #services

dmcintyre@...

Hi all,

Just want to let the PHPers among you know I've added a new repo php-cfenv (https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/php-cfenv)

Inspired by java-cfenv and cf-helper-php, this library makes it easy for PHP apps to consume services in CloudFoundry.

I've also posted a (really really basic) demo app showing binding to MongoDB (https://github.com/dmcintyre-pivotal/php-cfenv-demo)

All feedback gratefully received.

Duncan

Re: KubeCF 1.0

Eric Malm <emalm@...>

Congratulations, Vlad, Troy, and the rest of the KubeCF team! That's great news!

Best,
Eric

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 12:40 AM Simon D Moser <smoser@...> wrote:
Congrats to all involved!

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 12.03.2020 um 07:54 schrieb Krannich, Bernd <bernd.krannich@...>:

Congrats for the 1.0 to Vlad, Troy, Jeff and crew!

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Chip Childers <cchilders@...>
Date: Thursday, 12. March 2020 at 01:29
Subject: Re: [cf-dev] KubeCF 1.0

This is awesome news! I love that Stratos works with it as well. :)

Chip Childers, CTO

Cloud Foundry Foundation

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 6:58 PM Vlad Iovanov <viovanov@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

We released KubeCF 1.0 today!

https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/kubecf/releases/tag/v1.0.0

A big thank you to everyone that has contributed to this new flavor of Cloud Foundry!

We invite the community to try things out and help us make it better.

We'd also like to ask for your help. We are reorganizing the kubecf development teams,

and there is room for new contributors. If you want to help shape this project,

please come talk to us on the #kubecf-dev channel. No prior kubernetes experience needed.

Cheers,

Vlad

Re: Stratos 3.0.0

Chip Childers <cchilders@...>

Another awesome release announcement. Great work folks!

Chip Childers, CTO
Cloud Foundry Foundation

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 11:31 AM Richard Cox <RiCox@...> wrote:
Hi Everybody!

It gives me great pleasure to announce the release of Stratos 3.0.0.

This release contains many improvements, tweaks and fixes. Full release notes are available here - https://github.com/cloudfoundry/stratos/releases/tag/3.0.0.

We welcome your feedback, comments and bug reports - Please feel free to raise an issue in github (https://github.com/cloudfoundry/stratos) or reach out directly to us in slack (#stratos)

Regards,

Richard Cox
on behalf of the Stratos team

Stratos 3.0.0

Richard Cox <RiCox@...>

Hi Everybody!

It gives me great pleasure to announce the release of Stratos 3.0.0.

This release contains many improvements, tweaks and fixes. Full release notes are available here - https://github.com/cloudfoundry/stratos/releases/tag/3.0.0.

We welcome your feedback, comments and bug reports - Please feel free to raise an issue in github (https://github.com/cloudfoundry/stratos) or reach out directly to us in slack (#stratos)

Regards,

Richard Cox
on behalf of the Stratos team

Re: KubeCF 1.0

Simon D Moser

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Chip Childers <cchilders@...>
Date: Thursday, 12. March 2020 at 01:29

This is awesome news! I love that Stratos works with it as well. :)

Chip Childers, CTO

Cloud Foundry Foundation

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 6:58 PM Vlad Iovanov <viovanov@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

We released KubeCF 1.0 today!

https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/kubecf/releases/tag/v1.0.0

A big thank you to everyone that has contributed to this new flavor of Cloud Foundry!

We invite the community to try things out and help us make it better.

We'd also like to ask for your help. We are reorganizing the kubecf development teams,

and there is room for new contributors. If you want to help shape this project,

please come talk to us on the #kubecf-dev channel. No prior kubernetes experience needed.

Cheers,

Vlad

Re: KubeCF 1.0

Krannich, Bernd

Congrats for the 1.0 to Vlad, Troy, Jeff and crew!

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Chip Childers <cchilders@...>
Date: Thursday, 12. March 2020 at 01:29

[...]

Routing Release 0.199.0

Aidan Obley <aobley@...>

Re: KubeCF 1.0

Dieu Cao <dcao@...>

Congrats! Very exciting news!

Dieu

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 4:34 PM Dr Nic Williams <drnicwilliams@...> wrote:
Congrats to everyone who has worked on the project!

Nic

Re: KubeCF 1.0