Date

CAB call for November 2019 is next week Wednesday 20th @ 8a Pacific - LAST CAB call for 2019!

CAB call for November 2019 is next week Wednesday 20th @ 8a Pacific.

If you have a talk, a project, or would like to present something, please contact me ASAP.

Reply here (to me) or ping me on Slack. Best,

Re: Eirini is 1.0!

Michael Maximilien

Congratulations to the whole Eirini team!

Julz and team, interested in presenting at the next CAB call next week Wednesday @ 8a Pacific time?

Perhaps an overview of 1.0, brief demo(s) of features.

Also any roadmap for next release will be interesting as well as how you all plan to sync both with CF and k8s releases?

Let me know soon. Feel free to slack if you want to discuss.

Best,

Max

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 10:33 PM Ian Huston <ihuston@...> wrote:
Congratulations Eirini team, and everyone involved!

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 at 11:59, Krannich, Bernd <bernd.krannich@...> wrote:

Hi Eirini team,

Great news – congratulations and thank you very much to all the individuals and companies contributing!

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Julz Friedman <julz.friedman@...>
Reply to: "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date: Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <cf-dev@...>
Subject: [cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!

Hi cloud foundries,

We’re happy to announce the Eirini team has hit our internal “1.0” milestone and shipped a release marked as 1.0 [0]!.

This means we believe the core Eirini component is stable and ready to use (although there are some optional features - such as the new v3 API, tasks and container-to-container networking support - that are only available in the Diego backend, for now).

This work would not have been possible without contributions from across the Cloud Foundry community, but especially from IBM, Pivotal, SAP, SUSE and Google.

# What is Eirini?

Eirini brings the simplicity of `cf push` to Kubernetes. Kubernetes has quickly become the de-facto standard container scheduler across the cloud community, and now - via Eirini - Cloud Foundry users can take advantage of this powerful technology to put their containers on servers. Even better (in my opinion anyway), Kubernetes users can now try out the Cloud Foundry developer experience in a native, easy and interoperable way -- which means: less YML, more code.

# How can I try Eirini / Cloud Foundry on Kubernetes?

Eirini-based Cloud Foundry is already available commercially as a technology preview from IBM Cloud, SUSE and Pivotal. You can also deploy your own Eirini from the open-source bits by following the instructions in the eirini-release repository [1] (these are still a little harder than we'd like them to be, but there's lots of work going on in the wider eiriniverse to make them better!) - and let us know how you get on (see next paragraph!).

# Talking to us:

We’re available in Cloud Foundry slack in the #eirini-dev and #cf-for-k8s channels, and there’s a cross-community meeting [2] discussing CF on Kubernetes and the broader “Eiriniverse” every second Tuesday which you can find in the CF Community Calendar [3] - everyone is very very welcome to join and help steer the direction of the projects.

Thanks y’all-

The Eirini Team,

[0]: https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/eirini-release/releases/tag/v1.0.0

[1]: https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/eirini-release

[2]: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/r/month/2019/11/12?eid=N283OHQzM2JrZXIwN2pmNDlvMjc2a25mYTZfMjAxOTExMTJUMTgzMDAwWiBjbG91ZGZvdW5kcnkub3JnX29lZGIwaWxvdGc1dWRzcGRsdjMyYTV2Yzc4QGc

[3]: https://www.cloudfoundry.org/community-calendar/

--

Ian Huston

Director of Engineering
Pivotal Dublin

Mobile: +353 87 114 9962
Office: +353 1 697 1244

Re: Eirini is 1.0!

Ian Huston <ihuston@...>

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Julz Friedman <julz.friedman@...>
Reply to: "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date: Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <cf-dev@...>

[...]

Istio integration for Cloud Foundry on Kubernetes

Gabriel Rosenhouse

Hi all,

The Cloud Foundry Networking team is planning to integrate Istio into our CF-on-K8s efforts.

In particular, we're planning to automatically inject Envoy proxy sidecars into all application workloads, and to automatically inject sidecars into Kubernetes-hosted system components such as Cloud Controller and UAA.

We have a bit more detail (and diagrams) in this document [0].

Please leave feedback and questions as comments there, or reply to this email.

Regards,
Gabe

Re: Eirini is 1.0!

Eric Malm <emalm@...>

Congratulations to Julz and all the past and present contributors on the Eirini team! That's great news, and it's exciting to hear about the forward progress!

Best,
Eric

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 7:44 AM Nima <nkavian@...> wrote:
This is great news, way to go Eirinauts!

On Nov 12, 2019, at 7:14 AM, Simon D Moser <smoser@...> wrote:

Big shoutout to the awesome Eirini team and contributing companies. Y'all rock!

From:        "Krannich, Bernd" <bernd.krannich@...>
To:        "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date:        12/11/2019 12:58
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!
Sent by:        cf-dev@...

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Julz Friedman <julz.friedman@...>
Reply to:
"cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date:
Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To:
"Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <cf-dev@...>
Subject:
[cf-dev] Eirini is 1.0!

[...]

Nima

From:        "Krannich, Bernd" <bernd.krannich@...>
To:        "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date:        12/11/2019 12:58

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Julz Friedman <julz.friedman@...>
Reply to:
"cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date:
Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To:
"Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <cf-dev@...>
Subject:
[...]

Simon D Moser

Big shoutout to the awesome Eirini team and contributing companies. Y'all rock!

From:        "Krannich, Bernd" <bernd.krannich@...>
To:        "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date:        12/11/2019 12:58

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Julz Friedman <julz.friedman@...>
Reply to:
"cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date:
Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To:
"Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <cf-dev@...>
Subject:
[...]

Krannich, Bernd

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Julz Friedman <julz.friedman@...>
Reply to: "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Date: Tuesday, 12. November 2019 at 12:47
To: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <cf-dev@...>

[...]

Eirini is 1.0!

Julz Friedman

[...]

cf CLI v7.0.0-beta.27 is available

Abby Chau

Hi everyone,

We've released cf7 CLI beta.27! Here are some highlights:
  • now the start command:
    • stages your app to support the popular cf p app --no-start use case
    • if you've rolled back, starts the app with the droplet you've rolled back to
    • see the upgrade guide for more information
  • running tasks when the app is not a lrp (see documentation for usage):
    • now push supports a new --task flag (configure your (v3) manifest with a task process type)
    • run-task now supports a --process flag and command is no longer a required arg
  • support for adding labels to the domain resource. See documentation for usage.
See release notes for more information including new commands now backed by the v3 API.
Review our roadmap for information on what's coming next, and to provide feedback for items under consideration.

If you are using the cf CLI v7 release, we would love to hear from you. Please respond via this email or find us in Cloud Foundry Slack #cli or #v3-acceleration-team.

Best,

Abby, the cf CLI and v3 Acceleration teams

The Cloud Foundry Volume Services team wants your feedback.

Hjortshoj, Julian <Julian.Hjortshoj@...>

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the bulk email.  If you don't use volume services in CF, and have no plans to use them, you can discard this message.

If you are still reading however, then we'd really like to hear from you to better prioritize our future work.

We've created a customer questionnaire which we are really hoping some customers will fill out. We have made all the questions on the form optional so that you can tell us as little or as much as you want. You can find the feedback form here: https://forms.gle/64YsHNvCyr2URGKY9

Thanks much,
-Julian & the Volume Services team.

cf CLI 6.47.2 released today

Abby Chau

Hi everyone,

The cf CLI team released v6.47.2 today which includes a bump to Golang 1.12.12 to address Golang-related security concerns.

Please reach out if you have any questions. Thanks.

Best,

Abby and the cf CLI team

Remove support for TLS 1.0 and 1.1 in the CF CLI

Steve Taylor

Hi CF CLI community,

The minimum version of TLS supported by the current CF CLI is TLS 1.0.  Does anyone object to us bumping the minimum version of TLS to 1.2 in a near-future minor release of the CLI?

Regards,
The CF CLI Team

CF CLI: Dropping Support for Legacy Operating Systems related to GoLang 1.13 #cf

Eric Promislow

Greetings CF CLI community,

The current binary releases of the CF CLI are built using Go 1.12.  We plan to start using Go 1.13 soon.

The GoLang 1.12 release included the following warning:

Go 1.12 is the last release that will run on macOS 10.10 Yosemite. Go 1.13 will require macOS 10.11 El Capitan or later.

And the GoLang 1.13 release included the following warning:

The Windows version specified by internally-linked Windows binaries is now Windows 7 rather than NT 4.0.

As a result of these two announcements, we plan the following binary support matrix for an upcoming release of the CF CLI binaries built with Go 1.13:

OS

Architecture

Notes

Linux 2.6.23

amd64, 386

CentOS/RHEL 5.x not supported.

macOS 10.11 or later

amd64

Windows 7, Server 2008R2 or later

amd64, 386

Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,

The CF CLI team

Re: CF Application Runtime PMC: Loggregator Project Lead Call for Nominations

Eric Malm <emalm@...>

Hi, everyone,

Pivotal is nominating Jesse Weaver for the Loggregator Project Lead in the Application Runtime PMC.

Jesse is a product manager at Pivotal working on the Loggregator team, and previously was an engineer working on Cloud Foundry in Denver. His previous work includes full-stack engineering and design for web applications, and engineering and product design for open-source projects.

Please send any other nominations directly to me or in reply to this message no later than 11:59 PM PDT on Monday, Nov 11, 2019.

Thanks,
Eric Malm

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 11:05 AM Eric Malm <emalm@...> wrote:
Hi, everyone,

Allen Duet, the lead for the Loggregator project within the Application Runtime PMC, is stepping down from the project, as he has recently left Pivotal. We thank him for his service.

The Loggregator team, located in Denver, now has an opening for its project lead. Project leads must be nominated by a Cloud Foundry Foundation member. Please send nominations directly to me or in reply to this message no later than 11:59 PM PDT on Monday, Nov 11, 2019.

Also, if you have any questions about the role or the nomination process, as described in the CFF governance documents (https://www.cloudfoundry.org/governance/cff_development_operations_policy/), please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric Malm, CF Application Runtime PMC Lead

[...]

Automating minor stemcell releases

Saikiran Yerram

TLDR

We will now automatically release minor versions of CF Deployment for every new minor stemcell version bump.

Why we are doing this
CF users want to upgrade their foundation as soon as bosh stemcell versions are available in CF-deployment. However, the bosh stemcell bumps are packaged with unrelated changes and scheduled as part of regular release cycles. If there are any new stemcell updates (including CVE fixes), users will have to wait for the next release even if it might include other component updates. If any change results in a build failure at any stage in the pipeline, a stemcell update might be blocked until unrelated changes are fixed.

Furthermore, a minor stemcell bump can be packaged with a major version cf-deployment release with component related breaking changes. This forces cf users to either perform a major upgrade just to get the latest stemcell version or run the risk of falling behind.

Solution
The Release Integration team will release a cf-deployment minor release with just one single change - minor stemcell bump - as soon as a new stemcell is available, so cf users can stay up to date with the latest stemcell (and not worry about other unrelated changes). Version 12.3.0 is one such example.

image.png

--
Saikiran Yerram
Sr. Product Manager

Re: cf CLI 6.47.0 regression and Windows not released

Abby Chau

Hi everyone,

cf CLI 6.47.1 now has support for Windows. In summary, cf CLI 6.47.1 supports all previous supported operating systems, and it fixes a regression for cf login.

Thanks everyone for your patience, and let us know if you have any feedback.

Best,

Abby and the CLI and VAT

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 12:22 PM Abby Chau <achau@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

A quick update: we are still working on Windows Support. In the meantime, the cf CLI eng team applied a temporary fix for the Windows issue: links for the latest Windows version temporarily redirects to use cf CLI 6.46.1 which is the last known working version.

The Linux and OSX installers/binaries are still pointing at cf CLI 6.47.1, which fixes the aforementioned regression for login. Once we have the new Windows cert working, we will release Windows support which will be on par with cf CLI 6.47.1.

Please reach out if you have any questions or concerns, thanks.

Abby

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 5:25 PM Abby Chau <achau@...> wrote:
Hi everyone,

We released a patch today for this regression on OSX and Linux. We are currently still working on adding Windows support and hope to release again (this week - fingers-crossed) with Windows support.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Abby

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 12:18 PM Abby Chau <achau@...> wrote:
Hi all,

cf CLI 6.47.0 released but a regression found

This is to let folks know that we've released cf CLI 6.47.0 which includes a multi-month refactor of `cf login`. See release notes for more information. However we've received reports that for some users, they've experienced issues using `cf login` on some platforms. We believe we've found the underlying cause now and will be releasing a patch soon. cf CLI `6.47.0` has now been marked as a pre-release.

Windows support not released in cf CLI 6.47.0

This point might be moot given the above but we wanted to give you a heads up that due to cert renewal for Windows taking longer than expected, 6.47.0 does not include Windows support. We've recently received news that the cert has been renewed and so we are optimistic that we will be able to include Windows support in a release soon. We'd like to hear from you if this has an impact on your operations.

Please do not hesitate to reach out should you have any questions or concerns via this email or through Cloud Foundry Slack #cli. Thanks everyone for your patience.

Best,

Abby Chau
cf CLI, Product Manager

Re: What happened to Maven Central releases #uaa

Dan Beneke

Hi Mike -

The project's primary intent is to publish new releases on Github within cloudfoundry/uaa.

I recognize that there was a time that they were being published to Maven, and that publish has been interrupted.  Historically, the Maven artifacts were hosted by the Spring/Pivotal organization, meaning publish access was restricted to members of that org.  There is UAA community intent to move the hosting location to a CFF (or other shared) site, so that contributing project members outside of Spring/Pivotal could be provided publish access to the new location.

All of this is to say that Maven artifact publish may continue, but not until a new hosting location is identified.

Dan

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 5:47 AM Mike Roda <m2roda@...> wrote:
Thanks but I need the jars, specifically the cloudfoundry-identity-server and cloudfoundry-identity-model projects.

[...]

601 - 620 of 9369