Date
Re: windows installed cf-cli failed

Jonathan Matthews

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 at 17:24, Kou, Guanghai <guanghai.kou@...> wrote:

Hi cf-dev team

I need your help.

I installed the cf-cli  with the steps of https://docs.cloudfoundry.org/cf-cli/install-go-cli.html -> Windows Installation.

But the result is failed. Please check the result-picture.

Hey there.

Your installation has succeeded. Your problem is happening when running the now-installed tool.

I’ve observed this previously when a windows profile has its home directory set to a network drive which is inaccessible from its current location or network.

If you cannot access the Z: drive, set the CF_HOME environment variable to a drive and directory which you *can* access.

For more in-depth help, your local IT team will be your best place to ask.

Jonathan Matthews
London, UK
http://www.jpluscplusm.com/contact.html

windows installed cf-cli failed

Kou, Guanghai <guanghai.kou@...>

Hi cf-dev team

I need your help.

I installed the cf-cli  with the steps of https://docs.cloudfoundry.org/cf-cli/install-go-cli.html -> Windows Installation.

But the result is failed. Please check the result-picture.

What should I do?

Best Regards

Kou Guanghai

+86 15242607550

www.accenture.com

Re: How to run strace within cf droplet

gschoep@...

Thanks, I'll keep that as a note, I got one of our CF  admins to help out and we ended up figuring out the issue with tcpdump(not inside the droplet). It looked to be that our Firewall was dropping a DNS request packet, due to a possible bug in the cflinuxfs2 stack. We are upgrading to cflinuxfs3 shortly, as well as moving to a DNS that isn't outside our firewall. So we think both will fix the problem.

Re: Cloud Foundry Operators SIG

Swarna Podila

Kicking off in a few hours is the first cf-operators sig meeting.  Don’t forget to join: at 5AM US Eastern | 11AM CET.

Topic: Cloud Foundry Operators SIG Meeting
Time: Apr 24, 2019 2:00 AM Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

One tap mobile
+16699006833,,4084184280# US (San Jose)
+19292056099,,4084184280# US (New York)

Dial by your location
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
Meeting ID: 408 418 4280
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ali1NKUd8

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 19:08 Swarna Podila <spodila@...> wrote:
Hello Everyone,
It has been recently brought up that it would be useful to have a forum for Cloud Foundry operators to come together and discuss regularly.  The folks at SAP took the lead and have scheduled a call for April 24th, 11AM CET, and repeats every fourth Wednesday of the month.  The appointment is now on the Community calendar; it has the conference bridge info so you can all add it to your own calendars.

Thank you, Gowrisankar and team, for taking lead on this.

-- Swarna Podila (she/her)
Senior
 Director
, Community
 | Cloud Foundry Foundation

You can read more about pronouns here, or please ask if you'd like to find out more.
--
-- Swarna Podila
Senior Director, Community | Cloud Foundry Foundation

Re: How to run strace within cf droplet

Giuseppe Capizzi

Hi!

So, I have a strange problem going on in my CF container. I can "cf ssh appname" into it and reproduce it with command line. I was hoping to run strace on it, but when I run it I get

"PTRACE_TRACEME doesn't work: Operation not permitted"
This is expected, as we drop the `CAP_SYS_PTRACE` capability for our
unprivileged containers, and every container created through `cf push`
is unprivileged by default.

This is a dev instance, I don't mind if I break things. Is there a way to enable PTRACE_TRACEME so I can run strace?
You *could* enable privileged containers, see the dedicated
cf-deployment opsfile [1] for details.

[1] https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cf-deployment/blob/master/operations/enable-privileged-container-support.yml

Hope it helps!
--
Giuseppe Capizzi

How to run strace within cf droplet

gschoep@...

So, I have a strange problem going on in my CF container. I can "cf ssh appname" into it and reproduce it with command line. I was hoping to run strace on it, but when I run it I get

"PTRACE_TRACEME doesn't work: Operation not permitted"

This is a dev instance, I don't mind if I break things. Is there a way to enable PTRACE_TRACEME so I can run strace?

My setup...

(sorry I don't know what version of CF our servers are running)

buildpack: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/ruby-buildpack#v1.7.23

Cloud Foundry Operators SIG

Swarna Podila

Hello Everyone,
It has been recently brought up that it would be useful to have a forum for Cloud Foundry operators to come together and discuss regularly.  The folks at SAP took the lead and have scheduled a call for April 24th, 11AM CET, and repeats every fourth Wednesday of the month.  The appointment is now on the Community calendar; it has the conference bridge info so you can all add it to your own calendars.

Thank you, Gowrisankar and team, for taking lead on this.

-- Swarna Podila (she/her)
Senior
 Director
, Community
 | Cloud Foundry Foundation

You can read more about pronouns here, or please ask if you'd like to find out more.

Important Notice: [go-buildpack] End of support for Go versions 1.10.x after May 18, 2019

Elliott Shanks

The first release of the Go buildpack after May 18, 2019 will no longer include any versions of Go 1.10.x. These Go versions are no longer supported upstream [1]. Please migrate your Go apps to supported versions of Go before that time.

Note: Unless you are manually specifying a version of Go for the buildpack to use, or you have customized your Go buildpack, no action is required.

[1] https://golang.org/doc/devel/release.html

Thanks,

Elliott Shanks, CF Buildpacks PM

Re: CF Application Runtime PMC: Networking Project Lead Call for Nominations

Eric Malm <emalm@...>

Hi, everyone,

My apologies, I stated the date incorrectly on the nomination deadline. It should read "Monday, April 29, 2019".

Thanks,
Eric

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 3:48 PM Eric Malm <emalm@...> wrote:
Hi, everyone,

Shubha Anjur Tupil, the lead for the Networking project within the Application Runtime PMC, is stepping down from the project to focus on activities internal to Pivotal. We thank her for her service as the Networking Project Lead and as a PM contributor on the CF Routing project before that.

The Networking team, split between San Francisco and Santa Monica, now has an opening for its project lead. Project leads must be nominated by a Cloud Foundry Foundation member. Please send nominations directly to me or in reply to this message no later than 11:59 PM PDT on Friday, Apr 29, 2018.

Also, if you have any questions about the role or the nomination process, as described in the CFF governance documents (https://www.cloudfoundry.org/governance/cff_development_operations_policy/), please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric Malm, CF Application Runtime PMC Lead

Re: CF Application Runtime PMC: Networking Project Lead Call for Nominations

Chip Childers

In our slack obsessed world, I think it’s the :thumbsup: ( from me as well )

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 8:32 PM Dr Nic Williams <drnicwilliams@...> wrote:
All hail the glorious unstoppable rise of Shannon!

Or “+1” - that might be the modern equivalent.

Or :thumbsup:

Nic

Pivotal is nominating Shannon Coen for the Networking Project Lead in the Application Runtime PMC.

Shannon is currently the Product Lead for CF Networking at Pivotal, overseeing routing and load-balancing needs for products based on CF and working closely with the contributors in the Networking project team. Before that, Shannon served since 2015 as the lead for the CF Routing project before its consolidation with the Container Networking project. In that role, he most recently led the initial integrations with Istio and Envoy with the goal of leveraging those technologies to more rapidly deliver on routing use cases from the CF community.

Prior to leading the CF Routing project, Shannon served as the product manager for the Services team and chair of the Services PMC, where he guided the initial delivery and subsequent releases of the v2 Service Broker API, along with all user-facing features of the CF services marketplace, and was instrumental in evolving the service broker API to the cross-platform OSBAPI working group.

Please send any other nominations directly to me or in reply to this message no later than 11:59 PM PDT on Friday, April 29, 2018.

Thanks,
Eric Malm

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 3:49 PM Eric Malm <emalm@...> wrote:
[...]

Chip Childers, CTO
Cloud Foundry Foundation

Re: CF Application Runtime PMC: Networking Project Lead Call for Nominations

Dr Nic Williams

[...]

Re: Spring Boot Choose Main Class #spring #springboot #java

Mrc0113

Ben,

This definitely helps me understand what's going on - thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll continue to look into it...I started on the Cloud Foundry list because it was working fine when run outside of cloud foundry; it's only when I pushed it to cf that this seems to happen.

-Marc

[CFEU2019 Registration] Contributor Code

Swarna Podila

I love some of y'all's excitement when you asked for the Contributors' Code to register for Cloud Foundry Summit EU in The Hague (Sep 11-12).

Please use CFEU19CONT to register for the EU Summit, if you are (or were) a Cloud Foundry Contributor (code, docs, bugs -- all contributions count).  See you all there!

-- Swarna Podila (she/her)
Senior
 Director
, Community
 | Cloud Foundry Foundation

You can read more about pronouns here, or please ask if you'd like to find out more.

Buildpacks Updates

Elliott Shanks

Hey all, I wanted to spend a little bit of time to give everyone a little idea of what is going on around buikldpacks as of late. We have a lot of interesting things happening on the team and would love to hear thoughts/feedback from the community. We are also happy just to be able to provide the community with some insight into the ongoing efforts around buildpacks and CF.

Stack Auditor

If you haven’t heard, the cflinuxfs2 rootfs is being deprecated as we speak and is being replaced by cflinuxfs3. The buildpacks team has created the Stack Auditor tool (cf-cli plugin) to assist with migration. It has been used heavily and we are seeing some very promising results. With that being said, the team is continuing to build out additional functionality for the tool based on end user feedback.

Please feel free to recommend the Stack Auditor tool to anyone in need of easing their transition to cflinuxfs3.

Recent Additions:

  • Binaries are now available on github, meaning no workstation setup is required to incorporate the tool on a machine.

  • delete-stack command removes the reference to cflinuxfs2 allowing for an easy removal of the rootfs itself. This command ensures that no apps or buildpacks are associated to the stack prior to de-referencing the stack.

Upcoming Features:

  • Export functionality on the audit-stack command for managers of migrations to keep track of migration progress over time.

  • audit-stack command will show which buildpacks were used for each application in addition to the stack they are running on.

Cloud Native Buildpacks

With the beta release of Cloud Native Buildpacks at CF Summit in Philly, we have seen fantastic interest in the project. The buildpacks team is continuing to break down and build out new Cloud Native Buildpacks (CNBs) to ultimately replace all of the current buildpacks. We are wrapping up full parity for Node.js, diving deeper into the Python CNB, and just started working on the Go CNB.

To give you an idea of just how modular CNBs are becoming, and the freedom to plug and play your needs when using CNBs; see what has become of what was once just a Node.js and Python buildpack:

CNBs for Node.js and Python:

Node.js

Npm

Yarn

Appdynamics

New Relic

Python

Pip

Pip-env

Conda

This surely won’t be the final list of CNBs that will ultimately replace the current Node and Python buildpacks. Operators now have the ability to create groups of acceptable CNBs so app developers can play nicely within the ecosystem. What once may have required forking a buildpack and ripping out/adding dependencies to fit the organization’s standards, now is as simple as creating a group of approved CNBs.

We now have an official builder image for folks to use CNBs. Feel free to look deeper into how new CNBs and their lifecycle work here: https://hub.docker.com/r/cloudfoundry/cnb

If you'd like to learn more about Cloud Native Buildpacks, head on over to https://buildpacks.io/

--
Respectfully,
CF Buildpacks

Re: Spring Boot Choose Main Class #spring #springboot #java

Ben Hale

This is more a question for the Spring Boot team, but here's how Spring Boot applications in Cloud Foundry work.

When a Spring Boot application is created, your application is put into `/BOOT-INF` and a "wrapper" application is put into the root of the JAR. The `Main-Class` manifest entry is pointed at one of the Boot launchers (`JarLauncher`, `WarLauncher`, or `PropertiesLauncher`). Then when your application is started via `java -jar app.jar`, that `*Launcher` bootstraps a classpath with everything in `BOOT-INF` and then invokes the value read from the manifest `Start-Class` entry. So the only user of `Start-Class` is Boot itself, not the JVM.

In Cloud Foundry we are presented with the exploded JAR file, which makes no difference to how the application is invoked. We create a classpath at the root of the application and invoke the `Main-Class` entry of the manifest (`java -cp . <Main-Class>`) bootstrapping the Boot `*Launcher` as if it had been executed with `java -jar`. At this time, Boot takes over and creates its own internal classloader and invokes `Start-Class` as it would normally do.

If you are having an issue where Boot is not invoking the entry in `Start-Class` then that's a question for the Boot team, not Cloud Foundry.

-Ben Hale
Cloud Foundry Java Lead

On Apr 17, 2019, at 07:22, Mrc0113 <@Mrc0113> wrote:

thanks Steve - at first I thought this would work, but it looks like Spring Boot is using "org.springframework.boot.loader.JarLauncher" as the main class so I don't want to override that. It looks like when run in an executable jar the JarLauncher looks at the Start-Class in the MANIFEST.MF file, but it doesn't seem to be respecting that in cf.
I sshed into the cf container and found that the MANIFEST looks correct (it has the main-class set to JarLauncher and start-class set to my class), but it also seems that during the cf push the executable jar was exploded. It seems that after being exploded the JarLauncher class is no longer respecting the "Start-Class" set in the Manifest. Any insight into that?

Re: Spring Boot Choose Main Class #spring #springboot #java

Mrc0113

thanks Steve - at first I thought this would work, but it looks like Spring Boot is using "org.springframework.boot.loader.JarLauncher" as the main class so I don't want to override that. It looks like when run in an executable jar the JarLauncher looks at the Start-Class in the MANIFEST.MF file, but it doesn't seem to be respecting that in cf.
I sshed into the cf container and found that the MANIFEST looks correct (it has the main-class set to JarLauncher and start-class set to my class), but it also seems that during the cf push the executable jar was exploded. It seems that after being exploded the JarLauncher class is no longer respecting the "Start-Class" set in the Manifest.  Any insight into that?

NO CAB call today, we had it live CF Summit!

Michael Maximilien

Next one is May 15th. Zoom soon. Best,

Re: Spring Boot Choose Main Class #spring #springboot #java

Steve Taylor

Regards,
--Steve

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 1:32 PM <marcd@...> wrote:
Hi,

I have a Spring Boot project which has multiple main classes (Yes - I know not best practices, but I'm not able to easily change it). The project is being built by maven.
Locally I was able to specify a "start-class" on the spring-boot-maven-plugin and that works to define which main I want to run, however when I push the app to PCF that doesn't seem to work.
It looks like my app is using the java buildpack... Is there someway to specify the main class that I want to run in PCF?  Maybe by settings an environment variable or as part of the cf push command?

thanks!