Date
NOTICE: End of support for Ruby versions 2.2.x and 2.3.x after 2019-05-11

Elliott Shanks

The first release of the Ruby buildpack after May 11, 2019 will no longer include any versions of Ruby 2.2.x and 2.3.x. These Ruby versions are no longer supported upstream [1]. Please migrate your Ruby apps to supported versions of Ruby before that time.

Note: Unless you are manually specifying a version of Ruby for the buildpack to use, or you have customized your Ruby buildpack, no action is required.

[1] https://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/branches/

Thanks,

Elliott Shanks, CF Buildpacks PM

CF Application Runtime PMC: UAA Project Lead Call for Nominations

Eric Malm

Hi, everyone,

Sree Tummidi, the Project Lead for the UAA team within the Application Runtime PMC, has stepped down from the project. We thank her immensely for her many years of service as the UAA Project Lead, and for her enormous contributions to identity and security issues within the Cloud Foundry community. She will be missed tremendously.

The UAA team, based in San Francisco, now has an opening for its project lead. Project leads must be nominated by a Cloud Foundry Foundation member. Please send nominations directly to me or in reply to this message no later than 11:59 PM PST on Monday, April 22, 2019.

Also, if you have any questions about the role or the nomination process, as described in the CFF governance documents (https://www.cloudfoundry.org/governance/cff_development_operations_policy/), please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric Malm, CF Application Runtime PMC Lead

Re: CF Application Runtime PMC: UAA Project Lead Call for Nominations

Eric Malm

Hi, everyone,

Pivotal is nominating Chao Wang for the UAA Project Lead in the Application Runtime PMC.

Chao has been working at Pivotal as a product manager on the UAA project for the past eight months. Before joining Pivotal, he worked at an incubation and investment firm on customer IAM, mobile payment and fraud detection. Prior to that, he immersed himself in various roles in identity and security products at Microsoft, including Azure AD, ADFS, OrgID, Azure ACS, and NAP, in Redmond, WA.

Please send any other nominations directly to me or in reply to this message no later than 11:59 PM PST on Monday, April 22, 2019.

Thanks,
Eric Malm

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 4:34 PM Eric Malm <emalm@...> wrote:
[...]

Dr Nic Williams

Thanks Sree for leading the enormously important UAA project for so many years!

Nic

[...]

CF now supports sidecars

Scott Sisil

Hi CF Community,

In the latest release of CAPI we included support for application sidecars. This feature allows you to define a sidecar process that can run alongside another application process you have deployed to CF.  You can learn more here in our docs

This has been a limitation of the platform in the past and one reason customers would choose running an app on K8s vs CF.  If you are unfamiliar with the sidecar design pattern - this article provides a great overview.

Please note this release is very much an alpha version of the sidecar feature and we plan to continue iterating on this to support more use cases moving forward.

If you have any questions about using this new sidecar functionality or have a specific sidecar use case we are not addressing - we would love to chat.  Please reply to this email or reach out to the team on the #capi channel in CF Slack.

Thanks,

Scott Sisil
CAPI PM

Re: CF now supports sidecars

Chip Childers

This is really exciting Scott. Great to see it progressing!

-chip

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 5:00 PM Scott Sisil <ssisil@...> wrote:
[...]

Mike Youngstrom

This is great!  Nice job CAPI team!  Keep it coming!

Mike

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 3:00 PM Scott Sisil <ssisil@...> wrote:
[...]

Error: argument "virbr0" is wrong: Device does not exist #cf

Steve Mitchell <steve.mitchell@...>

cf dev does not start on Ubuntu:
$  lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Release:    18.04
Codename:    bionic

$ cf uninstall-plugin pcfdev
Plugin pcfdev 0.30.2 successfully uninstalled.
$ cf install-plugin -r CF-Community "cfdev"
Plugin cfdev 0.0.15 successfully installed.
CLI: 0.0.15
BUILD: 54 (35368e4)
$ cf dev start
Downloading Resources...
Progress: |====================>| 100.0%
Setting State...
Error: argument "virbr0" is wrong: Device does not exist

Cannot find device "virbr0"
Creating the VM...
Starting the VM...
Fetching VM Address...
FAILED
cf dev start: exit status 1

Re: Error: argument "virbr0" is wrong: Device does not exist #cf

Steve Mitchell <steve.mitchell@...>

To fix this problem I installed KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine) following these instructions: https://www.linuxtechi.com/install-configure-kvm-ubuntu-18-04-server/ I completed steps 1 - 3. I did not have to configure the network bridge (so far). CFDEV started at least. We'll see if I have networks issues once I start using it.

Re: Mapping ORGs and Space permissions via LDAP

Eric Malm

Hi, Mark,

The CF community engaged in a serious effort in this domain for much of last year, in the incubating CF Perm project (https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/perm). In the course of that effort, that team and the CAPI team discovered that while it was easy to integrate Perm with the authorization model for Cloud Controller's v3 API endpoints, it was nearly impossible to do so systematically for the v2 endpoints because of the complexity of their authorization model in CC.

Consequently, the CF Perm project has effectively been on hiatus while the CAPI and CLI teams work through their v3 API acceleration effort to implement replacements for the remaining v2 API endpoints in v3. Those teams have also published some information about their progress towards v3 in recent cf-dev topics, such as CC API v3 Proposals and the CC API v2 Deprecation plan.

Best,
Eric Malm, CF Application Runtime PMC Lead

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 10:21 AM Mark Coumounduros <mcoumounduros@...> wrote:

Hello Cloud Foundry:

Just checking back on whether there are ways to control access to org or spaces using UAA scopes (i.e., mapping LDAP Groups to Cloud Foundry Orgs and/or Spaces).

I last posted to the community back in Feb 2017 and am hoping this feature is now enabled for end users (or forthcoming).  Cheers!

Re: Error: argument "virbr0" is wrong: Device does not exist #cf

Eric Malm

Hi, Steve,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with CF Dev. I'd suggest that if you continue to have difficulties running it on Linux, you may want to file an issue on the main CF Dev GitHub repository at https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/cfdev. I expect the team would appreciate the feedback, especially as it looks like the week-old v0.0.15 release is the first one to support running on Linux at all.

Best,

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 12:44 PM Steve Mitchell <steve.mitchell@...> wrote:
To fix this problem I installed KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine) following these instructions: https://www.linuxtechi.com/install-configure-kvm-ubuntu-18-04-server/ I completed steps 1 - 3. I did not have to configure the network bridge (so far). CFDEV started at least. We'll see if I have networks issues once I start using it.

Re: Error: argument "virbr0" is wrong: Device does not exist #cf

Steve Mitchell <steve.mitchell@...>

Thank you, Eric. I set out to build a proxy, security, web site integration test to post to StackOverflow about a login redirect problem that started after upgrading to Spring Boot 2, but I unexpected ran into problems registering with my discovery service on pcf dev. I was trying to add Spring Cloud Services, but that ate up more time than I expected, so I decided to step away and I will look at it again later with fresh eyes.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 4:48 PM Eric Malm <emalm@...> wrote:
[...]

Confidentiality Notice: This message and any included attachments are from medZERO, Inc. and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal or state laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by email. Thank you for your cooperation.

Spring Boot Choose Main Class #spring #springboot #java

Mrc0113

Hi,

I have a Spring Boot project which has multiple main classes (Yes - I know not best practices, but I'm not able to easily change it). The project is being built by maven.
Locally I was able to specify a "start-class" on the spring-boot-maven-plugin and that works to define which main I want to run, however when I push the app to PCF that doesn't seem to work.
It looks like my app is using the java buildpack... Is there someway to specify the main class that I want to run in PCF?  Maybe by settings an environment variable or as part of the cf push command?

thanks!

Re: Spring Boot Choose Main Class #spring #springboot #java

Steve Taylor

Regards,
--Steve

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 1:32 PM <marcd@...> wrote:
Hi,

I have a Spring Boot project which has multiple main classes (Yes - I know not best practices, but I'm not able to easily change it). The project is being built by maven.
Locally I was able to specify a "start-class" on the spring-boot-maven-plugin and that works to define which main I want to run, however when I push the app to PCF that doesn't seem to work.
It looks like my app is using the java buildpack... Is there someway to specify the main class that I want to run in PCF?  Maybe by settings an environment variable or as part of the cf push command?

thanks!

NO CAB call today, we had it live CF Summit!

Michael Maximilien

Next one is May 15th. Zoom soon. Best,

Re: Spring Boot Choose Main Class #spring #springboot #java

Mrc0113

thanks Steve - at first I thought this would work, but it looks like Spring Boot is using "org.springframework.boot.loader.JarLauncher" as the main class so I don't want to override that. It looks like when run in an executable jar the JarLauncher looks at the Start-Class in the MANIFEST.MF file, but it doesn't seem to be respecting that in cf.
I sshed into the cf container and found that the MANIFEST looks correct (it has the main-class set to JarLauncher and start-class set to my class), but it also seems that during the cf push the executable jar was exploded. It seems that after being exploded the JarLauncher class is no longer respecting the "Start-Class" set in the Manifest.  Any insight into that?

Re: Spring Boot Choose Main Class #spring #springboot #java

Ben Hale

This is more a question for the Spring Boot team, but here's how Spring Boot applications in Cloud Foundry work.

When a Spring Boot application is created, your application is put into `/BOOT-INF` and a "wrapper" application is put into the root of the JAR. The `Main-Class` manifest entry is pointed at one of the Boot launchers (`JarLauncher`, `WarLauncher`, or `PropertiesLauncher`). Then when your application is started via `java -jar app.jar`, that `*Launcher` bootstraps a classpath with everything in `BOOT-INF` and then invokes the value read from the manifest `Start-Class` entry. So the only user of `Start-Class` is Boot itself, not the JVM.

In Cloud Foundry we are presented with the exploded JAR file, which makes no difference to how the application is invoked. We create a classpath at the root of the application and invoke the `Main-Class` entry of the manifest (`java -cp . <Main-Class>`) bootstrapping the Boot `*Launcher` as if it had been executed with `java -jar`. At this time, Boot takes over and creates its own internal classloader and invokes `Start-Class` as it would normally do.

If you are having an issue where Boot is not invoking the entry in `Start-Class` then that's a question for the Boot team, not Cloud Foundry.

-Ben Hale
Cloud Foundry Java Lead

On Apr 17, 2019, at 07:22, Mrc0113 <@Mrc0113> wrote:

thanks Steve - at first I thought this would work, but it looks like Spring Boot is using "org.springframework.boot.loader.JarLauncher" as the main class so I don't want to override that. It looks like when run in an executable jar the JarLauncher looks at the Start-Class in the MANIFEST.MF file, but it doesn't seem to be respecting that in cf.
I sshed into the cf container and found that the MANIFEST looks correct (it has the main-class set to JarLauncher and start-class set to my class), but it also seems that during the cf push the executable jar was exploded. It seems that after being exploded the JarLauncher class is no longer respecting the "Start-Class" set in the Manifest. Any insight into that?

Buildpacks Updates

Elliott Shanks

Hey all, I wanted to spend a little bit of time to give everyone a little idea of what is going on around buikldpacks as of late. We have a lot of interesting things happening on the team and would love to hear thoughts/feedback from the community. We are also happy just to be able to provide the community with some insight into the ongoing efforts around buildpacks and CF.

Stack Auditor

If you haven’t heard, the cflinuxfs2 rootfs is being deprecated as we speak and is being replaced by cflinuxfs3. The buildpacks team has created the Stack Auditor tool (cf-cli plugin) to assist with migration. It has been used heavily and we are seeing some very promising results. With that being said, the team is continuing to build out additional functionality for the tool based on end user feedback.

Please feel free to recommend the Stack Auditor tool to anyone in need of easing their transition to cflinuxfs3.

Recent Additions:

  • Binaries are now available on github, meaning no workstation setup is required to incorporate the tool on a machine.

  • delete-stack command removes the reference to cflinuxfs2 allowing for an easy removal of the rootfs itself. This command ensures that no apps or buildpacks are associated to the stack prior to de-referencing the stack.

Upcoming Features:

  • Export functionality on the audit-stack command for managers of migrations to keep track of migration progress over time.

  • audit-stack command will show which buildpacks were used for each application in addition to the stack they are running on.

Cloud Native Buildpacks

With the beta release of Cloud Native Buildpacks at CF Summit in Philly, we have seen fantastic interest in the project. The buildpacks team is continuing to break down and build out new Cloud Native Buildpacks (CNBs) to ultimately replace all of the current buildpacks. We are wrapping up full parity for Node.js, diving deeper into the Python CNB, and just started working on the Go CNB.

To give you an idea of just how modular CNBs are becoming, and the freedom to plug and play your needs when using CNBs; see what has become of what was once just a Node.js and Python buildpack:

CNBs for Node.js and Python:

Node.js

Npm

Yarn

Appdynamics

New Relic

Python

Pip

Pip-env

Conda

This surely won’t be the final list of CNBs that will ultimately replace the current Node and Python buildpacks. Operators now have the ability to create groups of acceptable CNBs so app developers can play nicely within the ecosystem. What once may have required forking a buildpack and ripping out/adding dependencies to fit the organization’s standards, now is as simple as creating a group of approved CNBs.

We now have an official builder image for folks to use CNBs. Feel free to look deeper into how new CNBs and their lifecycle work here: https://hub.docker.com/r/cloudfoundry/cnb

If you'd like to learn more about Cloud Native Buildpacks, head on over to https://buildpacks.io/

--
Respectfully,
CF Buildpacks

[CFEU2019 Registration] Contributor Code

Swarna Podila

I love some of y'all's excitement when you asked for the Contributors' Code to register for Cloud Foundry Summit EU in The Hague (Sep 11-12).

Please use CFEU19CONT to register for the EU Summit, if you are (or were) a Cloud Foundry Contributor (code, docs, bugs -- all contributions count).  See you all there!

-- Swarna Podila (she/her)
Senior
 Director
, Community
 | Cloud Foundry Foundation

You can read more about pronouns here, or please ask if you'd like to find out more.

Re: Spring Boot Choose Main Class #spring #springboot #java

Mrc0113

Ben,

This definitely helps me understand what's going on - thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll continue to look into it...I started on the Cloud Foundry list because it was working fine when run outside of cloud foundry; it's only when I pushed it to cf that this seems to happen.

-Marc