Date
Re: Request for Feedback: Metadata Feature and CLI Options

Abby Chau

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for reaching out, glad there's excitement about the feature. The document should be accessible to anyone who has the link (they should also be able to comment as well, which we would appreciate to get a pulse and feedback on the CLI options) - please let us know if you are unable to add comments.

Thanks for asking about the set-env (key,value versus = sign) - we did think of that option as well and now I wish we had added that option to the document.

Please see if you able to add comments and if not, we can look into what the issue might be.

Best,

Abby

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 1:33 AM Stefan Mayr <stefan@...> wrote:
Hi Abby,

Am 02.03.2019 um 08:28 schrieb Abby Chau:
> Hello again,
>
> We are writing to let you know the CF CLI team will be supporting an
> upcoming feature, metadata, which allow users to associate resources
> with information (labels) to provide human friendly descriptions for
> things like managing external system identifiers, tracking owner and
> contact information.[1]
>
> For more information regarding the feature, see and provide comments on
> this document
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1fVO3nA0T5uApN5yWqSZaD3ddZQClCzogeivKxhriLJs_edit-3Fusp-3Dsharing&d=DwIFaQ&c=lnl9vOaLMzsy2niBC8-h_K-7QJuNJEsFrzdndhuJ3Sw&r=liU6OeWExDTKt6ST32Np9Q&m=pCjPCUXoba7B26W2dxttdTOLgO7oHk5uehq5_8TgGDg&s=Ir-9fKA1ArWmBbYvA4-lHdq0taJxx_iamsAZf5XKPCs&e=>.
> Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks again!
>
> Best,
>
> CF CLI Team
>
> [1] CAPI Feature Narrative
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_document_d_1Ebko-5FwNu4wWLnAdHg6wmydEMTx-5FIdwYnb4Ys0mxVmM4_edit&d=DwIFaQ&c=lnl9vOaLMzsy2niBC8-h_K-7QJuNJEsFrzdndhuJ3Sw&r=liU6OeWExDTKt6ST32Np9Q&m=pCjPCUXoba7B26W2dxttdTOLgO7oHk5uehq5_8TgGDg&s=dQ7ZCM1wRKyZ7mZMSmHhfPw2uPnU7w21TIO_FA37Xxo&e=>
> _._,_._,_

after having seen some more or less elegant workarounds on CF summits we
really appreciate this becoming a native feature for the v3 API. How do
you want to count votes for option #1 or #2? Mailinglist or a comment on
the document? The document is still read-only. Shall we request write
access individually or will it be opened for everyone?

As this proposal worries values consistency of old and new commands I
have to ask one question: cf set-env uses key and value as individual
parameters without an in-between equal-sign. Is there a reason why both
options use one parameter key=value?

- Stefan

Re: Request for Feedback: Metadata Feature and CLI Options

Stefan Mayr

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fVO3nA0T5uApN5yWqSZaD3ddZQClCzogeivKxhriLJs/edit?usp=sharing>.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Best,

CF CLI Team

[1] CAPI Feature Narrative
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ebko_wNu4wWLnAdHg6wmydEMTx_IdwYnb4Ys0mxVmM4/edit>
_._,_._,_
[...]

For more information regarding the feature, see and provide comments on this document. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Best,

CF CLI Team

Stratos Deployment Survey

Neil MacDougall

Hi All,

The Stratos team is keen to understand more about how our users are deploying Stratos.

To this end we’ve put together a short survey that we’d love it if you could take a minute or two to complete:

Based on you’re responses, we’ll look at changes we can make to better support the most used deployment scenarios and (possibly) remove some of the deployment mechanisms that aren’t being used.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Neil
on behalf of the Stratos team

Request for Feedback: New Deployment Workflows With CLI Options

Abby Chau

Hi everyone,

We are writing to inform and invite feedback from the Community regarding upcoming work on the CLI V7 beta:

  • two upcoming features (Rolling Deployments and App Rollbacks)

  • proposed changes to app starts/restart CLI commands to support these features

  • and several CLI workflow options to support the new features. Any future deployment strategy work will likely follow the same CLI command patterns

Please see details about the above topics here - we would appreciate any feedback in the comments section of the document. Thank you, and we hope to hear from you.

Best,

CF CLI and CAPI Teams

Re: Propose removing --no-start from cf push in CLI v7

Abby Chau

Hi everyone,

Thanks to everyone who gave us feedback regarding the `--no-start` flag on the V7 CLI. Apologies it's taken so long to close the loop. We appreciate your feedback (and suggestions for alternative solutions) - they were all valuable to inform[1] our decisions.

We wanted to circle back to let you know that after consideration we've decided to re-implement the standard workflow for `--no-start` on `cf push` on the V7 CLI (we are still far from releasing a GA version but have been releasing V7 beta CLI releases).

Given the ubiquitous of usage and the complicated use cases for `--no-start`, we felt it was valuable to reimplement the standard functionality as long as we were also able to support other complicated deployment workflows, including granular commands and rollbacks.

We don't plan on making changes to the standard no-start workflow: `cf push app --no-start` --> apply config --> `cf start` however we do plan on making changes to `cf start` to enable more complicated workflows in the following ways:
  • if a user has rolled back an app, `cf start` will start the app using the same droplet they've roll back
  • if a user has rolled back their app, and they want the latest droplet, they can use a new `--latest` flag on `cf start`.
The changes to `cf start` and the roll back functionality does not currently exist on V7 beta CLI but we hope to start work on them soon.

To read more about what I've detailed above (including what "standard --no-start workflow" even means), and the new deployment workflows we plan to build on V7 beta CLI, please read and comment on Request for Feedback: New Deployment Workflows With CLI Options. As always, your feedback is valuable.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions or additional feedback by:
  • replying to this email
  • commenting on the above doc
  • reaching out on #Cloud Foundry Slack
Best,

Abby
CF CLI, Product Manager

[1] I've included screenshots of some of the CLI command modeling we did to give you an idea of how much consideration we gave to this subject matter, particularly given your feedback on the various use cases for running `--no-start` with `cf push`.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 10:15 AM Zach Robinson <zrobinson@...> wrote:
Hi Norm,

That's an interesting possible UX. Part of this process is to gather feedback before making a change and to potentially alter the proposal to better fit everybody's needs.  Thanks for sharing this.

Re: request to move app-autoscaler from cloudfoundry-incubator to cloudfoundry organization

Chris Clark

Congrats, Bo and team!  I'll reach out to you today and we can proceed with migration.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 10:55 AM Bo Yang <byang@...> wrote:
Thanks Michael!

@Chris,  please let us know once it is ready for us to move code over.

Best Regards,

- Bo

From: Michael Maximilien/Almaden/IBM
To: Bo Yang/Seattle/IBM@IBMUS
Cc: cclark@..., cf-extensions-pmc@...
Subject: Re: request to move app-autoscaler from
Date: Mon, Feb 25, 2019 1:30 PM

Hi, Bo,

Thanks for this request and justification. You make a strong point.

----------
Let me give everyone on the PMC a chance to chime in. I am particularly interested if they have any descending constructive views---email the list or me directly.

Let's give everyone until Wednesday 02/27 8:00 AM Pacific for any objections. If none, then Chris and I will work with you to move your project.

We are requesting to move app-autoscaler project from "github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator" to "github.com/cloudfoundry" given we think it has  reached a level that we can graduate it from an incubator. Here are the justifications

1. This project has been GAed in Sep 2018
2. It has been running in production for quite some time at SwissCom and SAP
3. It has been formally released as part of commercial offering of IBM Cloud. See "what is new in Cloud Foundry Enterprise Environment version 2.1.0"  ( https://cloud.ibm.com/docs/cloud-foundry?topic=cloud-foundry-what-s-new-in-ibm-cloud-foundry-enterprise-environment#v210 )

thanks,

-Bo

Re: request to move app-autoscaler from cloudfoundry-incubator to cloudfoundry organization

Chip Childers

Congratulations Bo and the rest of the team!

Chip Childers, CTO
Cloud Foundry Foundation

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 1:44 PM Michael Maximilien <maxim@...> wrote:
[...]

#Spring #java buildpack #Spring Autoreconfiguration #spring #java

sivanes.may28@...

I am trying to deploy the legacy spring (version 1.1) application in cloud foundry. I want to use spring auto-reconfiguration feature for the app but the feature is not enabled for my app.But if I try changing higher versions of spring, I could see this feature is enabled in the java build pack. Can't we use spring auto-reconfiguration feature for spring older versions like 1.1 and 2.0.?Thanks in Advance

Re: [Proposal] Deprecation of the firehose endpoint

Johannes Tuchscherer

Hi everybody,

thanks for the continuous stream of feedback. We are definitely going to support the firehose-exporter and firehose-to-syslog projects off the firehose to the RLP. The stories in our backlog are coming up soon. Stanislav, do you think that looking at what we did with the firehose-to-syslog project would help you to migrate the kafka-firehose-nozzle?

Also, based on the feedback I have received so far I am open to increasing the deprecation window to 6 months. Would that be acceptable?

Thanks,
Johannes

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 4:22 PM Stanislav German-Evtushenko <s.germanevtushenko@...> wrote:
Hi Johannes,

We are heavy users of loggregator and we have the same concerns as others in the thread.

We use loggregator for:
- storing all application logs for 6 month (regulations requirement) using kafka-firehose-nozzle
- getting all platform metrics for monitoring purposes using kafka-firehose-nozzle
- getting all applications metrics to provide monitoring dashboard using kafka-firehose-nozzle and cf-metrics-refinery (see https://cloudfoundry.slack.com/messages/C6WFZ5K0F/p1531268612000101)

Another concern is autoscaler (https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/app-autoscaler-release). It is relying on loggregator and I haven't seen any updates on moving out of it yet.

Best regards,
Stanislav

Re: [Proposal] Deprecation /containermetrics endpoint on the loggregator_trafficcontroller

Johannes Tuchscherer

Hi there,

we haven't heard from anyone who is currently consuming the /containermetrics endpoint. We went ahead an removed it. It will be gone as of loggregator release 105.

Please let us know if you have any questions. You can reach us in the Cloud Foundry slack in the #loggregator channel.

Best,
Johannes

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 12:03 PM Johannes Tuchscherer <jtuchscherer@...> wrote:
Hi there,

the loggregator team would like to remove the /containermetrics endpoint on the loggregator_trafficcontroller (see here: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/loggregator-release/blob/master/docs/trafficcontroller.md#endpoints). This endpoint originally was introduced as an endpoint for the Cloud Controller to fetch metrics about the running container.
As of cf-deployment v7.2 (https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cf-deployment/releases/tag/v7.2.0), Cloud Controller now reaches out to log-cache to fetch the container metrics.
Therefore, we would like to remove this endpoint to keep our API and code base lean and clean. If there are consumers of this endpoint besides the Cloud Controller, please let us know.

Thanks,
Johannes

[...]

Re: Retrieving events for a custom UAA Installation #cf

Shetty, Viraj S [CTR]

Any ideas from anyone ?

Feedback needed on UAA Microsoft SQL server Usage

Chao Wang <chawang@...>

TL;DR

If you are using Microsoft SQL server (MS-SQL) as a database backend for UAA, please respond to this survey with your usage details. It will take less than a minute.

Hi UAA Open Source Contributors,

We are in the process of adding some improvements around UAA’s TLS connectivity to databases. More details can be found here. In this regard, we would like to understand the usage patterns around UAA database types.

At this time, we are not aware of any MS-SQL usage with UAA. We are aware of deployments mainly using either MySQL or PostGres.

Action Needed:

If you are using MS-SQL as a UAA backend, we would like to understand more about your current usage and deployment.

Please respond with the following details in this survey.

The information above will help us in making an informed decision around either continuing to support MS-SQL or deprecating its support.

Thank you for continued support on making this product better!

Thanks,

UAA Team

02/22/2019

Retrieving events for a custom UAA Installation #cf

Shetty, Viraj S [CTR]

We have deployed our own installation of UAA in cloud foundry which is used as an OAuth 2 Server for applications. As a part of the security feature, we want to review the events on a daily basis. However, there does not seem to be any apis to retrieve the events for a date range. What is the best way to retrieve these events ? The events and logs are also streamed to an Elastic Search instance with a Kibana front end. I can search in Kibana with a keyword "Audit" for the UAA application and the records will show up. The problem with this is that the search will show up entries with Audit anywhere in the message and that may not be an UAA Audit Event. Also, is there an easy way to pull this using an API ?

Please advise !

CF CLI v6.43.0 Released Today

Thomas Viehman <tviehman@...>

Hey everyone,

The CF CLI team released cf CLI v6.43.0 today; please see release notes for full details.

Highlights Include

Multi-Service Registration epic

CF now allows multiple service brokers to offer services with the same name and or to have the same catalogs. (However, brokers themselves must still be given a unique name.)

Note: Multi-service registration is only supported on CC API version 2.125.0 or greater.

Users can specify which broker to use with a new -b flag, which is available on the following commands:

  • cf create-service
  • cf enable-service-access
  • cf disable-service-access
  • cf purge-service-offering
  • cf service - now display broker names
  • cf marketplace now display broker names

Important Note: If you have two service instances with the same name, the commands above will now require the -b flag to disambiguate which service instance and broker you want to operate on.

For more information: For more information regarding this feature and other services-related work in this release, reach out to cf-services-api@... or #sapi on Cloud Foundry Slack.

Enhancements

  • cf curl supports a new --fail flag (primarily for scripting purposes) which returns exit code 22 for server errors story
  • Improves cf delete-orphaned-routes such that it uses a different endpoint, reducing the chance of a race condition when two users are simultaneously deleting orphaned routes and associating routes with applications story
  • we've improved the speed of cf services - it now hits a single endpoint instead of making individual API calls

Minimum Version Cleanup

Our minimum version policy changed in January 2019 to support CC API 2.100/3.35. This release removes code which support CC API below those versions. story

Bug Fixes

Security

  • Fixes issue with running cf login in verbose mode whereby passwords which contains regex were not completely redacted
  • Fixes issue whilst running commands in verbose mode refresh tokens were not completely redacted

32-bit systems

  • Fixes a bug for users on 32-bit systems where the CLI would fail to unmarshall responses from the server because the response contained integer values that, when unmarshalled, would overflow 32-bit integers. For example, now users on 32-bit systems, can now set their memory usage larger than 2GB for cf push. See the list of commands below which we've applied the fix for. story story
CC VersionResourceFieldAffected Commands
v2AppHealthCheckTimeoutpush
v2App Instance StatusDiskcreate-app-manifest
v2App Instance StatusDiskQuotacreate-app-manifest
v2App Instance StatusMemorycreate-app-manifest
v2App Instance StatusMemorycreate-app-manifest
v3ProcessHealth Check Invocation Timeoutv3-set-health-checkv3-get-health-check
v3ProcessIndex
v3Process InstanceUptimepushrestagerestartstartapp
v3TaskSequence IDtasksrun-task
v3JobCodev3-deletev3-apply-manifest

Other Bug Fixes

  • Updates help text for cf curlstory
  • Now refresh tokens work properly whilst using cf curl with V3 CC API endpoints story
  • Fixes performance degradation for cf services story
  • cf delete-service requires that you are targeting a space story
  • cf enable-service access for a service in an org will succeed if you have already enabled access for that service in that org story

Plugin Additions/Updates

  • Added anchor links to the plugin page story

  • updates autoscaler-cli story

  • updates log-cache-cli to v2.1.0 story

  • updates report-memory-usage story

  • adds log-stream plugin story

  • adds HTML5 Plugin v1.1.0 story

Contributors:

Thomas Viehman, Jennifer Spinney, Will Murphy, Magesh Kumar Murali, Alex Shan, Brendan Smith, Abby Chau, Aarti Kriplani, Alex Blease, Georgi Lozev, Henry Stanley, Laurel Gray, Niki Maslarski, Oleksii Fedorov, William Martin, Adam Eijdenberg (for the plugin page anchor links pull request), David Grizzanti (for the delete orphaned routes pr)

Thank you to all our Community contributors, we appreciate the pull requests!

Note: The minimum version of the CC API this CF CLI release is compatible with is CC API v2.100.0 (3.35). See our minimum supported version policy for more information.

Thanks,

CF CLI Team

FINAL REMINDER: CF CAB call for February is Wednesday February 20th @ 8a PST

Michael Maximilien

fyi...

Tomorrow 8a Pacific. Zoom soon. Best,

From:        "Neil MacDougall" <neil.macdougall@...>
To:        cf-dev@...
Date:        12/02/2019 18:05
Sent by:        cf-dev@...

Johannes,

Thank your for the notification.

We use the firehose in Stratos to stream logs for applications and the firehose itself for users/admins to view in the UI.

We also use the CF Firehose exporter (https://github.com/bosh-prometheus/firehose_exporter) as does https://github.com/bosh-prometheus/prometheus-boshrelease) to retrieve metrics from the firehose and store those in Prometheus for display within Stratos. Do you know what the plan is for these to be updated?

It is a large amount of work for us to make the changes for the removal of the firehose and I think 3 months is too aggressive a time frame for us to be able to complete those - this is not something we’ve factored into our planning, so I think we’d need a 12 month window on the firehose removal to be safe.

We have users using Stratos on a variety of Cloud Foundry distributions, which we won’t be able to guarantee will be updated in your proposed three month window, so we will most likely have to make updates to allow Stratos to work with systems that use the current firehose and those that use the newer APIs.

I’m happy to discuss this further with you directly if that would help.

Regards,

Neil

On 11 Feb 2019, at 23:54, Johannes Tuchscherer <jtuchscherer@...> wrote:

Hi there,

Following the last thread about the deprecation of the /containermetrics endpoint, the Loggregator team would like to continue on its path of deprecations. Next on the chopping block is the /firehose endpoint. We understand that this endpoint is used by a few integrations, so we will provide reference implementations and documents for migrating away from the firehose to the newer loggregator endpoints (namely, the RLP Gateway and LogCache). Depending on the feedback we receive to this email, we would like to proceed with the removal of the firehose endpoint in three months - meaning that the loggregator release being cut in three month’s time won't have support for that endpoint anymore.

You can find some example consumers and the documentation of the RLP here:
Go: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/log-stream-cli
Go Client: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/go-loggregator/blob/master/rlp_gateway_client.go
Java: https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/jmx-consumer-release/tree/develop/src/jmxconsumer
Docs: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/loggregator/blob/master/docs/rlp_gateway.md

Here are some example consumers and the documentation of the Log Cache:
Go: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/log-cache-cli
Go Client: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/log-cache/tree/master/pkg/client
Docs: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/log-cache/blob/master/README.md

Our desire to remove endpoints on the trafficcontroller is based on our plan to get rid of the trafficcontroller - and then everything in loggregator that still references the V1 api and protocol. This will help us to significantly reduce code complexity, but it will also allow us to operate much more efficiently. This should result in reduced overhead for the logging pipeline and ultimately lower infrastructure costs for the logging components in a CF deployment.

Please let us know if you have any comments or concerns.

Johannes
PM of #loggregator