Date

Mark an application instance as not ready via API

Mathias Essenpreis

Hi,

Is it possible to tell the cloud controller via API and with this the GoRouter that a certain instance of an app is not able/ready to receive any new requests? Meaning that the GoRouter would not forward any new requests to this instance.

Other way round: Is it possible to remove single app instances from a route? I think it isn’t, didn’t find an API call for it.

Other way round #2: Would it be possible to give an application an application a grace time in which it will not be targeted with new requests for a period of time where it could e.g. update itself or do other housekeeping things

Regards,

Mathias

CF CLI v6.42.0 Released Today

Magesh Kumar Murali <mmurali@...>

Hey everyone,

The CF CLI team released cf CLI v6.42.0 today; please see release notes for full details.

Highlights Include

Space to Space Policy story

Supports a Container to Container feature for cf add-network-policy to enable adding network policies between spaces. Changes include:

  • -o and -s flags have been added to the cf add-network-policy and the cf remove-network-policycommands to support adding network policies to a specific organization and space
  • the cf network-policies table output has been updated with additional columns to indicate destination space and destination org

Note:

  • Users on versions of CC API lower than 3.56.0 may experience some latency due to the fact that the CC API did not support the guids filter param (which we require to display destination org and destination space in cf network policies. Users on versions of CC API greater than 3.56.0 should not experience latency issues.
  • This release includes changes to existing output to specify the destination app.

Services-related Refactors

Important Note:

We've discovered that for commands we've refactored previously, the CLI started incorrectly allowing for additional arguments to be passed in commands, which are silently ignored. Moving forward, if you provide additional arguments to a command, the command will fail with a meaningful message. We plan on making a global change in a future major release of the CLI. details

In order to prepare for a upcoming service-related feature, the Services API team in London refactored the following commands.

  • cf create-service story
  • cf disable-service-access story

User-facing changes include:

Updating output where necessary and flavor text to promote consistently as described in our style guide

Minor Enhancements

  • updated cf restage help text and the first line in the command's output to indicate that using this command will cause app downtime story
  • updated the cf bind-route-service help text to clarify usage instructions story
  • improved an error message for cf create-service-boker to be more helpful when the CC API returns a 502due to an invalid service broker catalog
  • upgraded to Golang 1.11.4 story
  • added a short name ue for cf unset-env story
  • updated cf marketplace command to include a new broker column to prepare for a upcoming services-related feature which will allow services to have the same name as long as they are associated with different service brokers story

Bugs

  • fix for cf enable-service-access -p plan whereby when we refactored the code in CLI v6.41.0 it created service plan visibilities as part of a subsequent run of the command (the unrefactored code skipped creating the service plan visibilities); now the command will skip creating service plan visibilities as it did prior to the refactor story
  • updated the cf rename-buildpack help text which was missing reference to the -s stack flag story
  • updated help text for when users use brew search cloudfoundry-cli story
  • now when you run cf service service-instance for a route service, the route service url appears in the key value table story

Plugin Updates

  • Updated MySqlTools to v0.7.0 story
  • Updated CF Dev to v0.0.13 story

Contributors: Thomas Viehman, Jennifer Spinney, Will Murphy, Magesh Kumar Murali, Abby Chau, SAPI Team (Big thanks to the SAPI team for providing the services-related refactors, along with some services-related bug fixes), Container to Container Networking Team (huge thanks for providing the pull requests for the C2C feature)

Note: The minimum version of the CC API this CF CLI release is compatible with is CC API v2.100.0. See our minimum supported version policy for more information.

Thanks,

CF CLI Team

Re: Implementation of Joomla in Cloud Foundry #cf #service #loggregator

gtobon@...

Hello partners.
Thank you very much for your answers and the contribution to the concern. But then, we can say that it is better not to implement the theme of Jommla in CF, according to what I see it is that it is very complex and does not have support anymore.

Need feedback: Contributor activity at CF Summit NA

Swarna Podila

Dear Cloud Foundry Contributors,
Some of the community folks suggested hosting a contributor specific set of activities at Cloud Foundry Summit in April at Philadelphia.  We think that this is a great suggestion and would love to organize activities that bring more value to contributors.

Please share your feedback on the following (and add anything else you can think of) that will help us make this a valuable event at Summit:
  • Format: what approach would be the most valuable for this engagement -- for example, a dedicated room during break times (so it doesn't conflict with breakout talks) for a moderated discussion on specific topics -- would be the most effective
  • Topics: what topics would be of interest to contributors, to end users that would like to meet the contributors, and to everyone in the community?
Or, if there is any other feedback or suggestions, please let us know.

Thank you.

-- Swarna Podila (she/her)
Senior
 Director
, Community
 | Cloud Foundry Foundation

You can read more about pronouns here, or please ask if you'd like to find out more.

Re: Implementation of Joomla in Cloud Foundry #cf #service #loggregator

Troy Topnik

I managed to get it mostly working on a recent CF with the latest PHP buildpack, but to echo Paul's comments, Joomla is not very cloud native. It relies heavily on configuration files which makes processing VCAP_SERVICES a hassle, and relocating the persistent data directories is a bit of a hassle. Good luck!

TT

CF CAB 2018 Feedback survey - 3 questions (2 minutes max)

Michael Maximilien

-----
I will close this in a couple of weeks and present results in Feb CAB call.

Please take 2 minutes to answer so we can hear your feedback and make 2019 the best CAB year.

Re: Implementation of Joomla in Cloud Foundry #cf #service #loggregator

Troy Topnik

I used to run Joomla on Stackato. It worked great, but we needed to do a bit of hackery to set up the configuration files properly and we needed to use a persistent filesystem service. This is the old sample app repo:

 https://github.com/Stackato-Apps/joomla-cms

It's a pretty old version of Joomla, and it would not work on a modern CF without some modification (e.g. the manifest is invalid). Unless Joomla has changed how it handles storage, your CF will need a Volume Service for persisting files across instances and restarts as mentioned above.

TT

NOTICE : [php-buildpack] End of PHP 5.x and 7.0.x support after 2019-02-10

Elliott Shanks

The first release of the PHP buildpack after February 10, 2019 will no longer include any versions of PHP 5.x or 7.0.x. These PHP versions are no longer supported upstream [1]. Please migrate your PHP apps to supported versions of PHP before that time.

[1] http://php.net/supported-versions.php

Thanks,

Elliott Shanks, CF Buildpacks PM

NOTICE : [dotnet-core-buildpack] End of .NET Core 2.0.x support after 2019-02-10

Elliott Shanks

The first release of the .NET Core buildpack after February 10, 2019 will no longer include any versions of .NET Core 2.0.x. These .NET Core versions are no longer supported upstream [1]. Please migrate your .NET Core apps to supported versions of .NET Core before that time. For further information about selecting a version, see https://docs.cloudfoundry.org/buildpacks/dotnet-core/index.html#dotnet-sdk

[1] https://github.com/dotnet/core/blob/master/microsoft-support.md

Thanks,

Elliott Shanks, CF Buildpacks PM

CF CAB call for January is this Wednesday 16th @ 8a PST

First all HNY 2019! Hope it started well for you.

Quick reminder that the CAB call for January (first one for 2019) is next Wednesday January 16th @ 8a PST.

We will have our regular PMCs highlights and two talks:

1. Updates on the MultiApps CF-Extensions project by Nikolay Valchev of SAP [1]
2. Updates on CF Routing / Istio by Shannon Coen of Pivotal

All other info in agenda here [0].

Zoom soon. Best,

Re: Implementation of Joomla in Cloud Foundry #cf #service #loggregator

gtobon@...

hello thank you very much ... I'll review it and try

Re: Implementation of Joomla in Cloud Foundry #cf #service #loggregator

Warren, Paul <Paul.Warren@...>

I personally have never heard of anyone running Joomla on a CF platform.  That definitely doesn't mean it hasn't been done or is not possible though.  Unlike Wordpress I don't think it stores content on the filesystem so I guess the question is how "cloud-native" is it.  Would you, for example, be able to "cf scale -i" it once pushed?  If it won't support that, would it work running it at scale 1?

If you have pre-existing assets that just happen to have been created using Joomla then another option would be to re-create these assets using the Spring framework and I specifically draw your attention to Spring Boot, Spring Data and the community project Spring Content that allows you to build cloud-native CMS against the backend of your choice.  These would be 100% cloud-native and operate very nicely in CF.  The downside of this approach is that it is much more developer-oriented and, in general, the work to recreate the site would be a little bit of Spring/Java, quite a lot of UI.  As I say probably only appropriate if you are looking to be pre-existing assets forward.  Not appropriate if you are looking to hand Joomla accounts out to end users to create their own sites.

Just my $10
_Paul