Date

Re: Implementation of Joomla in Cloud Foundry #cf #service #loggregator

Troy Topnik

I managed to get it mostly working on a recent CF with the latest PHP buildpack, but to echo Paul's comments, Joomla is not very cloud native. It relies heavily on configuration files which makes processing VCAP_SERVICES a hassle, and relocating the persistent data directories is a bit of a hassle. Good luck!

TT

CF CAB 2018 Feedback survey - 3 questions (2 minutes max)

Michael Maximilien

-----
I will close this in a couple of weeks and present results in Feb CAB call.

Please take 2 minutes to answer so we can hear your feedback and make 2019 the best CAB year.

Re: Implementation of Joomla in Cloud Foundry #cf #service #loggregator

Troy Topnik

I used to run Joomla on Stackato. It worked great, but we needed to do a bit of hackery to set up the configuration files properly and we needed to use a persistent filesystem service. This is the old sample app repo:

 https://github.com/Stackato-Apps/joomla-cms

It's a pretty old version of Joomla, and it would not work on a modern CF without some modification (e.g. the manifest is invalid). Unless Joomla has changed how it handles storage, your CF will need a Volume Service for persisting files across instances and restarts as mentioned above.

TT

NOTICE : [php-buildpack] End of PHP 5.x and 7.0.x support after 2019-02-10

Elliott Shanks

The first release of the PHP buildpack after February 10, 2019 will no longer include any versions of PHP 5.x or 7.0.x. These PHP versions are no longer supported upstream [1]. Please migrate your PHP apps to supported versions of PHP before that time.

[1] http://php.net/supported-versions.php

Thanks,

Elliott Shanks, CF Buildpacks PM

NOTICE : [dotnet-core-buildpack] End of .NET Core 2.0.x support after 2019-02-10

Elliott Shanks

The first release of the .NET Core buildpack after February 10, 2019 will no longer include any versions of .NET Core 2.0.x. These .NET Core versions are no longer supported upstream [1]. Please migrate your .NET Core apps to supported versions of .NET Core before that time. For further information about selecting a version, see https://docs.cloudfoundry.org/buildpacks/dotnet-core/index.html#dotnet-sdk

[1] https://github.com/dotnet/core/blob/master/microsoft-support.md

Thanks,

Elliott Shanks, CF Buildpacks PM

CF CAB call for January is this Wednesday 16th @ 8a PST

First all HNY 2019! Hope it started well for you.

Quick reminder that the CAB call for January (first one for 2019) is next Wednesday January 16th @ 8a PST.

We will have our regular PMCs highlights and two talks:

1. Updates on the MultiApps CF-Extensions project by Nikolay Valchev of SAP [1]
2. Updates on CF Routing / Istio by Shannon Coen of Pivotal

All other info in agenda here [0].

Zoom soon. Best,

Re: Implementation of Joomla in Cloud Foundry #cf #service #loggregator

gtobon@...

hello thank you very much ... I'll review it and try

Re: Implementation of Joomla in Cloud Foundry #cf #service #loggregator

Warren, Paul <Paul.Warren@...>

I personally have never heard of anyone running Joomla on a CF platform.  That definitely doesn't mean it hasn't been done or is not possible though.  Unlike Wordpress I don't think it stores content on the filesystem so I guess the question is how "cloud-native" is it.  Would you, for example, be able to "cf scale -i" it once pushed?  If it won't support that, would it work running it at scale 1?

If you have pre-existing assets that just happen to have been created using Joomla then another option would be to re-create these assets using the Spring framework and I specifically draw your attention to Spring Boot, Spring Data and the community project Spring Content that allows you to build cloud-native CMS against the backend of your choice.  These would be 100% cloud-native and operate very nicely in CF.  The downside of this approach is that it is much more developer-oriented and, in general, the work to recreate the site would be a little bit of Spring/Java, quite a lot of UI.  As I say probably only appropriate if you are looking to be pre-existing assets forward.  Not appropriate if you are looking to hand Joomla accounts out to end users to create their own sites.

Just my $10
_Paul