Date

CF CLI v6.41.0 Released Today

Will Murphy

Hello everyone,

The CF CLI team released v6.41.0 of the CF CLI today. See the release notes for more details.

Highlights Include

Assign a Stack to a Buildpack epic

Supports the ability to assign a stack to a buildpack that is missing stack metadata. See official documentation for more details.

Important Note: It's important to note that once you assign a stack to a buildpack, you cannot undo the action unless you have access to your buildpack bits.

Additional notes:

  • If you have two buildpacks with the same name, and one has a stack associated, and the other has a nil stack; when you run cf update-buildpack buildpack-name --assign-stack stack - the buildpack with nil stack will be updated.

Service Discovery epic

With app service discovery, apps pushed to Cloud Foundry can establish container-to-container communications through a known route. This allows front end apps to easily connect with back end apps.

Now users can use cf create-shared-domain internal.com --internal to create an internal route, and domains has been updated to include a new details column to let users know if a route is internal.

See official documentation for more details.

Refactors

Important Note:

We've discovered that for commands we've refactored previously, the CLI started incorrectly allowing for additional arguments to be passed in commands, which are ignored silently. Moving forward and starting with these refactored commands, if you provide additional arguments to a command, the command will fail with a meaningful message. [details](#162259630]

Note we intend to fix this bug for all refactored commands in a major CLI release see additional details

Services-related Refactors

In order to prepare for a upcoming service-related feature, the Services API team in London refactored the following commands. Big thanks to the SAPI team for providing this work to us.

User-facing changes include:

  • Updating output where necessary and flavor text to promote consistently as described in our style guide

Create-shared-domain Refactor

In order to prepare for the Service Discovery (Container to Container Networking feature), we've refactored cf create-shared-domain.
story

User-facing changes include:

  • Updating output where necessary and flavor text to promote consistently as described in our style guide

Built with Golang 1.11.x story

Updated to Golang 1.11. See the Golang release summaries for details on the bug fixes.

Enhancements

  • updated cf --help to include the delete command story

Plugin Updates

Contributors: SAPI London team (for the marketplace refactor), Slawek Ligus and the C2C Networking team (for cross team efforts for the Service Discover feature) Thomas Viehman, Jennifer Spinney, Will Murphy, Magesh Kumar Murali, Abby Chau

Note: The minimum version of the CC API this CF CLI release is compatible with is CC API v2.69.0. See our minimum supported version policy for more information.

Best,

Will and the CF CLI Team

Re: #cf seccomp #cf

Julz Friedman

Hi hjinkim - the 'configurable' column in that table actually means whether you can opt in/out of the feature, not whether you can configure it (admittedly that's rather unclear!). Garden enables seccomp by default and does not allow opting out (hence it's marked as false in the configurable column), and there are no plans to change that.

Although the table doesn't show it, it would also be possible - as I think you're suggesting - to allow configuring custom seccomp rules for particular containers. We don't currently have plans to allow that because it would require exposing quite a lot of new complexity to users which would be difficult given the Cloud Foundry UX (we try to hide low-level details from users), and might risk allowing users to ask for less secure rules than we would want. Do you have a particular use case in mind where you would want more configurable rules than the defaults we set out of the box?

Thanks!
Julz

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 at 10:52 <hjinkim@...> wrote:

Hi.
As you see the image I inserted above,
Currently there is no support for configurable Seccomp Filtering in CFAR Garden v1.40.0. Do you have any plan to support configurable Seccomp filtering in CFAR Garden sooner or later?

#cf seccomp #cf

hjinkim@...

Hi.
As you see the image I inserted above,
Currently there is no support for configurable Seccomp Filtering in CFAR Garden v1.40.0. Do you have any plan to support configurable Seccomp filtering in CFAR Garden sooner or later?

Re: Call for Papers Deadline for CF Summit (Philadelphia)

Swarna Podila

A reminder for y'all to get your speaking proposals in before Friday.

If you'd like to get feedback on your abstract or would like for it to be reviewed for a sanity-check, please don't hesitate to "@cfp-help" in #summit channel on CF Slack.

--Swarna.

Re: cf login error

bguttmann@...

Hi,

are you able to curl the API's /v2/info endpoint?

That means 'curl https://<api-url>/v2/info' .

Regards,

Benjamin

cf login error

Russell Blue

Hi,

I deployed cf on openstack and 15 vm running and okay.
But cf login error: behind firewall....
please help me.

best regards

Re: routing-release 0.183.0

Shubha Anjur Tupil

@Gabriel Rosenhouse brought up a important point that we wanted to call out.

  • When an application instance crashes while processing a request Gorouter now returns an error and takes the backend out of the pool temporarily, without retrying another backend details
This change may cause increased 502 rates for existing apps. Let us know if you have any questions.

On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 10:46 AM Shubha Anjur Tupil <sanjurtupil@...> wrote:
We cut routing-release 0.183.0 today morning.

Release highlights:
  • Operator can specify HTTP headers to be added by Gorouter to responses details
  • Operator can specify HTTP headers to be removed by Gorouter from the responses details
  • We have updated locket to the latest commit details
  • Fixed an issue introduced with the move to BPM for TCP Router on accumulating TCP-Router HAProxy instances details
  • With the move to BPM, operators should use the syslog release for access log streaming. enable_access_log_streaming is no longer supported in the Gorouter details
  • Gorouter stdout logs includes vcap_request_id so operators can correlate the stdout logs with access logs for easier debugging of issues details
  • Route registrar now supports registration of TCP routes details
  • When an application instance crashes while processing a request Gorouter now returns an error and takes the backend out of the pool temporarily, without retrying another backend details
  • We have updated from Cflinux2 to Cflinuxfs3 details
  • We are still evaluating the issue we are having with performance reports and have not been able to get a root cause details
Regards,
Routing team

Re: Eirini in 2019 CFAR certification requirements

Julz Friedman

> That phrasing doesn't read as a component I would want to run in production (or in a certified distribution).

Oops! You’re quite right Matt, this is still the README from my original spike many months ago, before we even officially started the project — we’ll be sure to update that asap :-).

In the mean time, fwiw, there’s a (very) long and detailed proposal document, from when we originally approved Eirini as an incubator project, with much much more detail about the reasoning available here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qs6UQQDWMkfOpY19XqS3CfvI00jCns876TjplJ6E95s/edit?ouid=109489329491803931461&usp=docs_home&ths=true

Thanks!

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 at 18:37, Matt Cholick <cholick@...> wrote:
The eirini repository's current README (https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/eirini#y-tho-y) states: "Partly a fun experiment, partly a proof of concept"

That phrasing doesn't read as a component I would want to run in production (or in a certified distribution).

That section doesn't really dive into strong detail as to "why" the project important either. I think fleshing that section out more would be valuable.

-Matt

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 8:13 AM Chip Childers <cchilders@...> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 5:03 AM Krannich, Bernd <bernd.krannich@...> wrote:
  • If I am not getting things wrong this means that distributions could be certified with only running Diego well before the Diego GA.
This is an accurate statement.

[1] Feedback: For governance docs (@Chip Childers), it might be worthwhile to keep things in a public Github repo, too.

Ack - will work on that. :)

Re: Eirini in 2019 CFAR certification requirements

Matt Cholick

[...]

Re: smoke-test instances

Josh Collins

Hey Russell,

You probably know this, but it's worth stating that cf-deployment deploys cf-smoke-tests as an errand so no VM will be created until you run the bosh command to run the smoke-tests errand.

Since you shared an error, perhaps you attempted to run the errand and this is the response?

Regardless, I'd like to invite you to engage us in Slack rather than this cf-dev list as we'll be able to more actively respond: #cloud-foundry

When you post your issue to the cloud-foundry slack channel, please include the bosh deploy command you used to deploy your foundation, the bosh command you used which triggered the error response you included above, and the error output (perhaps with a bit more output before/after the snippet you included here).

Thanks so much!

Josh and the CF Release Integration team

Call for Papers Deadline for CF Summit (Philadelphia)

Swarna Podila

Dear Cloud Foundry Community,
The deadline for submitting your speaking proposals for Cloud Foundry Summit North America 2019 in Philadelphia is this Friday, November 30 at 11.59pm US Pacific.  Please submit your proposals before the deadline.

Please submit here: https://www.cloudfoundry.org/event_subpages/cfna-2019-cfp/

If you'd like to get your abstract reviewed or need some help finessing your abstract, please do not hesitate to ping @cfp-help on #summit channel on the Cloud Foundry slack.

There will not be an extension to the deadline this time.

Please do not hesitate to contact me (via email or slack) if you have any questions.

Regards,
Swarna.

smoke-test instances

Russell Blue

Hi,

I deployed cloud foundry on openstack and 15 vms created but smoke-test dont create.
please help me.
error: Blobstore object not found

best reagards,

Re: Apps/microservices that have long request processing times.

Nikolay Valchev

Hi,

Are there any plans for enabling the graceful shutdown configuration on app level? From user experience point of view this is very similar to the health check timeout, which is configurable to max of 180, if not configured differently by CF operators.

Thanks,

Nikolay

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Liu Liming <andyliuliming@...>
Date: Tuesday, 18 September 2018, 17:16
To: "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Subject: Re: [cf-dev] Apps/microservices that have long request processing times.

Hi Jo,

I think there’s one config in the rep job:

  containers.graceful_shutdown_interval_in_seconds:

default: 10

if you are using the open source version of CF, I think you can overrite it under this path:

  - name: rep

    release: diego

    properties:

      diego:

        executor:

          instance_identity_ca_cert: ((diego_instance_identity_ca.certificate))

          instance_identity_key: ((diego_instance_identity_ca.private_key))

        rep:

          preloaded_rootfses:

          - cflinuxfs2:/var/vcap/packages/cflinuxfs2/rootfs.tar

          use_vcontainer: false

          vcontainer:

            api_location: "vcontainer.service.cf.internal:8892"

            ca_cert: "((service_cf_internal_ca.certificate))"

            client_cert: "((diego_vcontainer_client.certificate))"

            client_key: "((diego_vcontainer_client.private_key))"

      containers:

       graceful_shutdown_interval_in_seconds: 10000000

        trusted_ca_certificates:

          - ((application_ca.certificate))

And if you are using the PCF, I think you can use the ops manager to override the value if it provided one way to do this.

Thanks,

Andy

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Jonathan Stockley <jstockle@...>
Date: Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 6:31 AM
To: "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>

Hi,

According to https://docs.cloudfoundry.org/devguide/deploy-apps/prepare-to-deploy.html#moving-apps an app instance has only 10 seconds to finish processing a request before being killed off.

I have an app that does document rendition generation and it can take upwards of 10 minutes for long documents.

Is the 10 seconds grace period configurable?

Thanks,

Jo

Re: DNS on cf-deployment

Sridhar Vennela

dns is bosh addon, you can run below command.

bosh -e bosh-lite update-runtime-config bosh-deployment/runtime-configs/dns.yml --name dns

Sridhar

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 9:46 PM Russell Blue via Lists.Cloudfoundry.Org <bluerussell20=yahoo.com@...> wrote:
Hi,

I deploy bosh and cf-deployment without DNS. How can deploy with dns?
please help me.

best regards

DNS on cf-deployment

Russell Blue

Hi,

I deploy bosh and cf-deployment without DNS. How can deploy with dns?
please help me.

best regards

Re: action failed: cloud controller ng

Russell Blue

Hi,

I resolved this error when change "seytem_domain=example.com".
But I have post-start error and log has blobstore object not found.
please help me.

kind regard

Subject: Re: [cf-dev] action failed: cloud controller ng
To: cf-dev@...
Date: Monday, November 19, 2018, 8:44 PM

Hello,
Can you
provide us with more details?  What part of cloud
controller failed?  Pre-start, start, post-start?  What do
the logs look like?  If the bundle error you're seeing
is the same as in https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/151020004,
that's not worth worrying about.
Thanks,Chris
On Mon, Nov
19, 2018 at 12:02 AM Russell Blue via Lists.Cloudfoundry.Org
<bluerussell20=yahoo.com@...>

I deployed cf-deployment on openstack. all vms are running
but action cloud controller ng failed.

I review log file and I see ''bundle" error.

please help me

best regards

Re: Is it true that only one application can run/scale in a space? #cf

Simon D Moser

Hi Steve,

I realized way too late that I should have even recognized the questions ... totally my bad, should have ignored :-(

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Simon Moser

Senior Technical Staff Member / IBM Master Inventor
Bluemix Application Platform Lead Architect
Dept. C727, IBM Research & Development Boeblingen

IBM Deutschland
Schoenaicher Str. 220
71032 Boeblingen
Phone: +49-7031-16-4304
Fax: +49-7031-16-4890
E-Mail: smoser@...
IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH / Vorsitzender des
Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht
Stuttgart, HRB 243294

*******

ITIL has led people to think in siloes ("go fix change management").
Project Management has led people to think in finite units of work instead of streams of product.
Both are fundamental dysfunctions of the framework model, not failures of execution.
       ⁃        Rob England

From:        "Steve Taylor" <staylor@...>
To:        cf-dev@...
Date:        19/11/2018 17:41
Subject:        Re: [cf-dev] Is it true that only one application can run/scale in a space? #cf
Sent by:        cf-dev@...

Simon, it feels very much like `borntorule76` is doing a homework assignment, as opposed to asking genuine questions.  I was perplexed by their hail of questions (including the format - multiple, unrelated, choice?) until a coworker pointed out that this happens from time to time.

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 8:14 AM Simon D Moser <smoser@...> wrote:
no. not true. Where did you read that ?

[...]

From:
borntorule73@...
To:
cf-dev@...
Date:
17/11/2018 07:28
Subject:
[cf-dev] Is it true that only one application can run/scale in a space? #cf
Sent by:
cf-dev@...

Is it true that only one application can run/scale in a space?

Re: action failed: cloud controller ng

Chris Selzo

Hello,

Can you provide us with more details?  What part of cloud controller failed?  Pre-start, start, post-start?  What do the logs look like?  If the bundle error you're seeing is the same as in https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/151020004, that's not worth worrying about.

Thanks,
Chris

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 12:02 AM Russell Blue via Lists.Cloudfoundry.Org <bluerussell20=yahoo.com@...> wrote:
Hi,

I deployed cf-deployment on openstack. all vms are running but action cloud controller ng failed.
I review log file and I see ''bundle" error.
please help me

best regards

Re: Is it true that only one application can run/scale in a space? #cf

Steve Taylor

From:        borntorule73@...
To:        cf-dev@...
Date:        17/11/2018 07:28
Sent by:        cf-dev@...

From:        borntorule73@...
To:        cf-dev@...
Date:        17/11/2018 07:28
Sent by:        cf-dev@...

Is it true that only one application can run/scale in a space?