Date

CF CLI v6.40.1 Released Today

Magesh Kumar Murali <mmurali@...>

Hey everyone,

The CF CLI team released cf CLI v6.40.1 today; please see release notes for full details.

Highlights Include

Create-service-key Refactor

In order to prepare for a upcoming service-related feature, the Services API team in London refactored create-service-key. Big thanks to the SAPI team for doing this work for us. story

User-facing changes include:

  • improving error messages (for permissions-related errors, and successful output handling if a user is using a async broker)
  • enhancing the UX to remove flavor text and
  • updating output to return consistently for failures to promote consistency as described in our style guide

Service Instance Now Displays Binding Operation Type

Now when you run cf service service-instance to display information for a async binding, in the status field in the bound appstable, more verbose text is returned for when you create and delete a binding. story

Bug Fixes

  • Updates the minimum version for the buildpacks-stacks association feature. In CLI v6.39.0, when the feature was released, we incorrectly set the minimum to cc api version as 2.114. The minimum cc api version is now correctly set to 2.112story
  • Fixes a bug with inspecting a service instance cf service service-instance, now the documentation url displays correctly for services which populate that field story

Contributors: SAPI London team (for the create-service-key refactor and the fix for the service documentation url), Anand Gaitonde, Tom Viehman, Will Murphy, Abby Chau, Magesh Kumar Murali, Jennifer Spinney

Special Guests:

Dr. Max and the IBM China team (for translation updates)

Best,
Magesh and the CF CLI Team

Early feedback on weighted routing

Shubha Anjur Tupil

Hello,

The routing team has been working on providing a routing plane based on Istio and Envoy. To read more about this, see our initial proposal Cloud Foundry Integration with Istio Pilot and Envoy. This has been a long running track of work, and we had set a near(ish) term milestone to provide weighted routing through this new routing control plane. We want to share out how you can test this early.

Installation and Setup

  1. We have bosh-release for Istio that helps you install Istio Pilot, Envoy and Copilot (this is a CF adapter that generates Pilot config, based on Cloud Foundry config).

  2. The VMs you will see in your deployment are istio-router and istio-control. Copilot runs on the istio-control VM currently.

Instance                                                  Process State AZ IPs VM CID             VM Type Active

vm-15a05a6b-cce4-42d3-7d2e-2dfee5a7c3fd  minimal true

istio-control/369f958d-9e32-458d-849d-8ea3ab3e4a62        running z1 10.0.1.30 vm-b5199b90-9459-47fe-6d4c-08cdf4c4f5a2  medium true

istio-router/3b436071-575b-4553-b148-f1fd029af402         running z2 10.0.1.32

  1. Create a new DNS name, resolving to the IP of a load balancer in front of the istio-router VMs.

  2. Configure your load balancer to redirect a new domain to the istio-router. The idea is to set up a parallel routing plane as illustrated

  1. Create a new apps domain in CF matching the DNS name

cf create-shared-domain istio.apps-domain.com

  1. Application developers who wish to use the istio-router create a route from this domain and map it to their application

cf map-route app1 istio.apps-domain.com -n app1

If you or customers have the inclination to try this in a sandbox environment, we would love to help, and get early feedback.

Configure and update weights mapped to a route

We have not yet integrated with the CF CLI but have enabled cloud controller v3 routes to support a weight parameter.

  1. Instructions to map/unmap/update/delete a route mapping are in the Cloud Controller v3 API Route Mapping documentation

  2. To test you could push two applications and map them to the same route.

For example:

$ cf apps

Getting apps in org shubha / space test as admin...

OK

name     requested state   instances memory   disk urls

go-app   started         1/1 32M   32M go-app.istio.istio-acceptance.routing.cf-app.com

dora     started         1/1 1G   1G go-app.istio.istio-acceptance.routing.cf-app.com

  1. Curl  go-app.istio.istio-acceptance.routing.cf-app.com should result in 50% of the requests going to go-app and 50% of the requests going to dora.

  2. To update the weight parameter use the endpoint to Update a Route Mapping through the CC API. You will then see a change in the ratio of requests going to each app. You can also unmap the route from one of the apps, and then observe 100% of the requests going to just one application thus simulating a migration.

Demo

Video demo here

Limitations

1. Scale: We have tested our integration to scale to 12,000 applications with 12,000 routes. We suggest trying this only if you have no more than 12,000 apps in a single cluster.

2. Not production ready - This is not production ready, it is an early release and Copilot cannot currently be scaled horizontally for HA.

3. No route integrity currently from the istio-router to the diego-cell

Regards,

Routing Team (Slack at #routing)

Seeking nominations for track co-chairs for Philly Summit!

Swarna Podila

Dear Cloud Foundry Community,
Cloud Foundry Summits are successful, educational, and valuable to our community only because our track co-chair volunteers strive to bring as many high quality talks to Summit as they possibly can.  We thank all those folks who have helped in making Summit tracks valuable to our community.

It is now time for you to step up and nominate yourself or your peer to be a co-chair.   The deadline for nominations is Nov 6, 2018 at 11:59 PST.  I wrote a quick post to help answer any questions you may have about being a co-chair, but please feel free to reach out to me (slack or email) if there is an additional question.

Get nominating today!

--Swarna.

Official EOL for Garden-shed [Action may be required]

Julz Friedman

Hi cf-dev -

tl;dr:

This is a quick email to let everyone know, as previously communicated [0], we are now planning to delete the "garden-shed" filesystem driver (and, thereby, support for aufs) in the next garden release. The new overlayfs-based driver ("grootfs") has been the default for several months and has been running significant load without reported problems. Additionally, the old aufs-based driver is incompatible with the latest Xenial-based stemcells, and therefore with the latest cf-deployment releases.

Background:

Several months ago, the garden team determined that our existing aufs-based driver would be difficult to support with newer operating system versions (since it relied on an out-of-kernel module, Aufs). We created a new driver, grootfs ("Garden ROOTFS manger"), based on the new in-kernel "overlay" feature. This driver has been the default driver in garden for several months, and has been running in numerous environments. We now believe all users are using the new driver. Since it is now incompatible with the latest stemcell, we plan to remove the garden-shed driver entirely in the next garden release.

Action Required:

None, unless you are still opting back in to the old, "garden-shed" driver, in which case please urgently test with grootfs (you can do this by simply removing the `deprecated_use_garden_shed` bosh property from your manifest and deploying.. after this deploys successfully, we recommend either recreating your cells or deploying an updated stemcell to clean up any files from the old driver) and let us know you need more time! We're happy to help in the #garden channel on slack or by reply to this email address.

Here is a picture of a garden shed on fire:
Image result for burning shed

Thanks!
Julz - Garden PM, on behalf of the Garden team

Re: Application Runtime PMC Lead

Eric Malm <emalm@...>

Thanks, everyone! I'm excited to take on the role, and I welcome your input on how we can guide the App Runtime and the rest of CF in the future.

Also, Dieu, thank you so much for your service as Runtime PMC Lead over the past 3+ years! You've been a tremendously positive influence on the CF community, and we wouldn't be where we are today without your guidance, insight, and support.

Best,
Eric

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:51 PM Marco Voelz <marco.voelz@...> wrote:
Sad to see Dieu stepping down from Runtime PMC Lead. Thanks for the great work!
Also excited that Eric takes over the PMC Lead, great that you accepted the nomination and the passed the vote! ;)

On 26. Oct 2018, at 01:15, Dieu Cao <dcao@...> wrote:

Hello all,

I’ve decided to step down from my formal role in the CFF as the PMC Lead for the Application Runtime PMC. I will continue to serve in the CFF as the PMC Council Chair and plan to remain active in the community.

I’ve nominated Eric Malm (from Pivotal) to take on this role.  I’m very happy to announce that Eric accepted the nomination and this proposal was voted on and approved in the last Application Runtime PMC meeting by the project leads in that PMC.

A bit of a refresher on Eric:
Eric has worked on open-source Cloud Foundry at Pivotal Software since 2013 and is currently the Product Manager for the CF Diego team. Before joining Pivotal, he worked as a research mathematician and lecturer, and holds a Ph.D. in Mathematics from Stanford University. He lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with his wife and dog.

-Dieu
CFF PMC Council Chair

Re: Application Runtime PMC Lead

Marco Voelz

[...]

Michael Maximilien

+1

Eric will be great and really had been doing that role for a while now. Welcome (officially) as the PMC lead for runtime Eric.

Best,

Max

--
dr.max Sent from my iPhone http://maximilien.org

[...]

REQUEST for REVIEW - Proposed Scope for CF-Deployment 6.0

Josh Collins

Hello Fellow Cloud-Founderians,

I'd like to share and gather feedback on proposed scope of the next major release of cf-deployment.

I've created a Google Doc which describes the high-level changes under proposal.

Anyone with the link above can review and comment.
Please feel free to review and provide feedback in the document as soon as you're able.

We'll be locking the scope Monday October 29th.

For those interested in following, here's the v6.0 epic in our backlog.

Lastly, if you've got breaking changes that you'd like Release Integration to consider in the future please bring them to my and the team's attention:
Thanks very much for reading to the end and Happy Friday!

--
Josh Collins
PM - CF R&D Release Integration

--
Josh Collins
Product Manager

REQUEST for REVIEW - Proposed Scope for CF-Deployment 5.0

Josh Collins

Hello Fellow Cloud-Founderians,

I'd like to share and gather feedback on proposed scope of the next major release of cf-deployment.

I've created a Google Doc which describes the high-level changes under proposal.

Anyone with the link above can review and comment.
Please feel free to review and provide feedback in the document as soon as you're able.

We'll be locking the scope Monday October 29th.

For those interested in following, here's the v6.0 epic in our backlog.

Lastly, if you've got breaking changes that you'd like Release Integration to consider in the future please bring them to my and the team's attention:
Thanks very much for reading to the end and Happy Friday!

--
Josh Collins
PM - CF R&D Release Integration

FYI: CF CAB calls for October and November

Just to be clear, no CF CAB call today as we did it live last week during CF Summit in Basel. Altoros already published their post with brief review. See link here: https://twitter.com/altoros/status/1051901952169320449?s=21

For next month, since the normal schedule would fall the day before US Thanksgiving we discussed in Basel to reschedule the week before, so Wednesday November 14th.

Zoom with you then. Best,

Re: Cloud Foundry in Edinburgh

Caitlyn O'Connell <coconnell@...>

Hi all,

It was so great getting to see so many of you at Cloud Foundry Summit in Basel this week! I'll be in Edinburgh week after next for Open Source Summit and am looking for volunteers to help Chris Clark and me at the booth. Sign up here.

Major shoutout to the folks at Armakuni who've signed up for a slot! Please consider giving an hour or two of your time to talk about Cloud Foundry and meet folks in the community. It's a perfect opportunity to share what you're doing with CF.

Thanks and see you in Scotland!

Caitlyn

From: <cf-bosh@...> on behalf of Morgan Fine <mfine@...>
Date: Friday, 28. September 2018 at 20:58
To: "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>, "cf-bosh@..." <cf-bosh@...>
Subject: [cf-bosh] BOSH Stemcell Support Policy

Hi CF Community,

The BOSH team is working to formalize a policy for Linux stemcell support. Up until now, the team has not had a policy on which stemcell lines are officially supported. We'll also be working to make this information available on bosh.io

Please find the details in the attached document.

Best,

Morgan Fine

CF BOSH

1101 - 1120 of 9421