Date

Re: CF Networking support for CNI plugin chaining question

Gabriel Rosenhouse <grosenhouse@...>

Last call for Network Integrators: if you have opinions about how we execute CNI configuration, please reach out to our team (#container-networking in Slack, or reply here).

Our first story on this track is here: https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/157025572

Re: [cf-bosh] CF Summit EU contributor reg code

Swarna Podila

Which means…y’all should plan on joining the Day Zero activities - Cert Exams, User Day (if you’re at an end user organization), unconference, trainings, etc.

-- ​Swarna Podila
​Senior
 Director
​, Community​
 | Cloud Foundry Foundation

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 5:31 PM, Chip Childers <cchilders@...> wrote:
Sorry... one correction. The event is Oct 10 and 11, with lots of pre-event activities on the 9th. Sorry about that. :)

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 11:14 AM Chip Childers <cchilders@...> wrote:
Hey all,

Whew... we just got done with CF Summit NA in Boston, but it's time to turn towards Europe! For those that don'e know, we'll be headed back to Basel Switzerland again this year, October 10 to 12.

Contributors (those that have contributed docs, code, bug reports) are welcome to use the following code to register: CFEU18CONT

More info on the website here: https://www.cloudfoundry.org/event/eusummit2018/

See you all there!

Re: Call for Demos - CF / K8S Integration SIG Meeting

Jain, Ashish <ashish.jain09@...>

Hi Chip,

Service Fabrik team would like to demonstrate couple of use cases as below:

  1. BOSH based CF services consumed by K8S apps
  2. Service provisioning on K8S Pods and consumed by CF app

Best regards,

Ashish

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Chip Childers <cchilders@...>
Date: Thursday, 26 April 2018 at 9:23 PM
Subject: [cf-dev] Call for Demos - CF / K8S Integration SIG Meeting

During yesterday's CF/K8S SIG meeting, several speakers proposed demo'ing their various efforts during a future call.

I'd like to formally request replies from anyone interested in giving a demo, and we'll work out an agenda for the next (and future) SIG calls based on responses.

So far, I have an offer from SAP for Dobromir Zahariev to demo the work around service catalog sync between CFAR and K8S.

Anyone else willing?

Re: CF Summit EU contributor reg code

Chip Childers <cchilders@...>

[...]

Re: Minimal CF Install for Demos

Benjamin Gandon <benjamin@...>

I have what you need (on GCP), and more because it is a CF distribution. (You'll find out soon that demoing CF is not just about CF.)

I've been working on this for almost one year. For the obvious reason that here in France, nobody knows about CF and we desperately needed tools to help in making demos of OSS CF.

It fits in 1 VM only.

So go deploy the GCP flavor of Easy Foundry, as deployed with the Gstack Bosh Environment. There: https://github.com/gstackio/gstack-bosh-environment

Easy Foundry aims at becoming the very first 100% OSS distribution of Cloud Foundry based on BOSH.

And Gstack BOSH Environment (GBE) is an automation framework leveraging (and heavily based on) BOSH 2.0 features.

The global UX with GBE tries to keep it simple:
    $ gbe up # for creating the infrastructure
    $ gbe converge < all | cf > # for converging all deployments towards their expected state (or CF only)

But there are stil some preliminary setup steps, first. The GCP setup procedure should definitely work, because it has been my main test case for a long time. Otherwise don't hesitate to give me feedback and ask for support. You'll get it working, I swear!

For everyone reading this post, please note that EF and GBE are still Work In Progress. There are many improvements to make before we reach a Gold release, or start incubation as a CF extension. We welcome feedback and pull requests!

Regards,
/Benjamin GANDON (depuis mon iPhone)
CEO at Gstack (follow us on @_Gstack!)

Le 23 avr. 2018 à 23:58, Matt Curry <matt.curry@...> a écrit :

Does anyone have a guilde for a minimal CF install on AWS or GCP for demo purproses?

In other words, the cheapest and smallest possible working install.

I think that this is the point of CFDev, but I need to be able to run 2 installs side by side, and also need to be able to deploy it to a cloud provider so that it is public facing.

Thanks,

Matt

Re: [Urgent] High severity vulnerability in PHP versions included in the PHP buildpack

Carlo Alberto Ferraris

`cf better-push` can't come fast enough 😢

On Sat, Apr 28, 2018, 11:50 Stephen Levine <slevine@...> wrote:
Hi All,

If you use the PHP buildpack in Cloud Foundry, please see below.

NOTICE: Multiple upstream vulnerabilities have been discovered in all supported PHP versions in the PHP buildpack. MS-ISAC reports that the most severe of these vulnerabilities could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code. An attacker could take advantage of this type of vulnerability to steal credentials, modify application code, cause a denial of service attack, or take other malicious actions.

ACTION: As soon as possible: Upgrade the PHP buildpack to version 4.3.53. Confirm that PHP apps are configured to use PHP 7.2.5, PHP 7.1.17, PHP 7.0.30, or PHP 5.6.36. Re-stage all PHP apps.

Thanks,
Stephen
CF Buildpacks PM

[Urgent] High severity vulnerability in PHP versions included in the PHP buildpack

Stephen Levine

Hi All,

If you use the PHP buildpack in Cloud Foundry, please see below.

NOTICE: Multiple upstream vulnerabilities have been discovered in all supported PHP versions in the PHP buildpack. MS-ISAC reports that the most severe of these vulnerabilities could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code. An attacker could take advantage of this type of vulnerability to steal credentials, modify application code, cause a denial of service attack, or take other malicious actions.

ACTION: As soon as possible: Upgrade the PHP buildpack to version 4.3.53. Confirm that PHP apps are configured to use PHP 7.2.5, PHP 7.1.17, PHP 7.0.30, or PHP 5.6.36. Re-stage all PHP apps.

Thanks,
Stephen
CF Buildpacks PM

Re: Oratos: Containerized Experiments with Loggregator + Log Cache #loggregator

Chip Childers <cchilders@...>

Love it!

The amount of ideas and experiments around integrations with other OSS efforts being shared this last couple of weeks is amazing to see. :)

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 4:21 PM Adam Hevenor <ahevenor@...> wrote:

ορατός  (oratósm (feminine ορατήneuter ορατό)

  1. visible, in sight, seen

As a follow up to Wednesday's special interest group call about K8s and Cloud Foundry I wanted to share a backlog[1] and slack channel[2] and encourage everyone to get involved in the discussion around experiments to use Loggregator and Log Cache release[3] with Cloud Foundry Container runtime.  Some of this has already been tinkered with and we have a working demo that uses fluentd to ingress into Loggregator in a K8's Pod[4]. We are looking to further experiments with the goal of demoing a consistent telemetry experience across CFAR and CFCR. I have proposed similar things in the past[5] so feel free to read more about these ideas, but keep in mind the landscape has changed since that document was written and I'd encourage you to get involved by joining our slack channel if these topics interest you. We'll be posting about progress, and contributing to the conversation about in the monthly community calls as well.

1. https://www.pivotaltracker.com/n/projects/2167209
2. https://cloudfoundry.slack.com/messages/CAD9NBZTK
3. https://github.com/cloudfoundry/log-cache-release
4. https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/loggregator-k8s-deployment
5. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ISmtxrLW8svIRwzw0je4OH1cOEY3va3E-z45_pfgKBM

Re: Call for Demos - CF / K8S Integration SIG Meeting

Jeenal Shah

Hi Chip,

We have been building  OSBAPI Generic Service Broker "kibosh" bridging the gap between Kubernetes deployments and CF marketplace.  We would love to demo that.

Here is our repo,

and more info on the blog.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Jeenal

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 8:53 AM, Chip Childers <cchilders@...> wrote:
During yesterday's CF/K8S SIG meeting, several speakers proposed demo'ing their various efforts during a future call.

I'd like to formally request replies from anyone interested in giving a demo, and we'll work out an agenda for the next (and future) SIG calls based on responses.

So far, I have an offer from SAP for Dobromir Zahariev to demo the work around service catalog sync between CFAR and K8S.

Anyone else willing?

Oratos: Containerized Experiments with Loggregator + Log Cache #loggregator

Adam Hevenor

[...]

Chip - we'd love to demo the experiments with k8s loggregator deployment and log-cache integrations and how that can create a consistent observability experience across both CFAR and CFCR.

Re: Call for Demos - CF / K8S Integration SIG Meeting

Julz Friedman

Happy to demo Eirini (the artist formerly known as Cube), too.

Thanks!

On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 at 17:54 Michael Maximilien <mmaximilien@...> wrote:
Hi,

DK and I will be presenting BOSH Kube CPI at CF-Day next week* Tuesday May 1st in Copenhagen.

We will also (on that day) make all the code public and ready for all to try and provide feedback.

We have tested on IBM Cloud, GKE, AKS, and MiniKube. Likely any and all recent Kube clusters should work fine.

It's a cool live demo from pretty much scratch deploying and managing non-trivial workloads (CF included). So we need about 20 to 30 minutes with brief slides and QAs.

We'd be happy to demo this at next SIG and CAB calls.

Best,

max

* I will be there live in Cope but DK will be in spirit :) or Zoom, if I can shame him some more for not taking the 24 hours round trip flights.

[...]

Summit EU: CFP and Co-Chair Nominations

Swarna Podila

Folks,
Wanted to highlight a few highlights and a deadline coming up for our EU Summit:
For those of you that would like to nominate yourself or someone from the community to become a co-chair for these tracks, please nominate yourself or a community member here before 11.59 Pacific on May 4, 2018.

Please don't hesitate to ping me on email or slack if you have any questions.
--Swarna.

Call for Demos - CF / K8S Integration SIG Meeting

Chip Childers <cchilders@...>

During yesterday's CF/K8S SIG meeting, several speakers proposed demo'ing their various efforts during a future call.

I'd like to formally request replies from anyone interested in giving a demo, and we'll work out an agenda for the next (and future) SIG calls based on responses.

So far, I have an offer from SAP for Dobromir Zahariev to demo the work around service catalog sync between CFAR and K8S.

Anyone else willing?

Re: Understanding hard CPU limits

Stanislav German-Evtushenko

Hi Eric,

The current logic looks a little bit too complicated. Wouldn't it be simpler if it was not using CPU shares in calculation and just using memory share (container memory / cell memory) for this? In that case we could just specify CPU FACTOR which is easy to understand.

For example:
# Maximum CPU time is proportional to Memory share
# In this example scaling factor is 2
CPU_MAX_FACTOR   =  2

CELL_CPU         =  8
CELL_MEMORY      = 16 * 1024^3  # 16 GiB
CONTAINER_MEMORY =  4 * 1024^3  #  4 GiB
PERIOD           =  100000      # 100 ms (default)

QUOTA_RATIO = ( CONTAINER_MEMORY / CELL_MEMORY ) * CELL_CPU * CPU_MAX_FACTOR = 1/4 * 8 * 2 = 4   # i.e. 4 CPUs time at max
QUOTA = QUOTA_RATIO * PERIOD = 400000   # in ms

PERIOD could also be made configurable so that we could adjust this to our latency requirements if needed.

Best regards,
Stanislav

Re: CF / K8S (and related projects) Special Interest Group Call

Jain, Ashish <ashish.jain09@...>

Hi Amulya,

We did a demo on the similar use during the CF summit at Boston https://cfna18.sched.com/event/DdZu/service-fabrik-20-a-more-pluggable-and-flexible-backing-service-shashank-mohan-jain-ashish-jain-sap?iframe=no&w=&sidebar=yes&bg=no . We can definitely connect and discuss more on this.

Best regards,

Ashish

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Amulya Sharma <amulya.sharma@...>
Date: Thursday, 26 April 2018 at 12:56 AM
To: "cf-dev@..." <cf-dev@...>
Subject: Re: [cf-dev] CF / K8S (and related projects) Special Interest Group Call

Thanks for informational Chip

I am actively working on integrating these two run times

To begin with we are using k8 to run our persisted workloads for stateless apps in cloudfoundry persisted workloads will be created by service broker in cloud foundry

Wondering is anyone else working on same love to connect and share what we have so far

Thanks

Amulya

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 11:22 AM Chip Childers <cchilders@...> wrote:

This is a Cloud Foundry community activity (not a k8s SIG in the formal sense), but it may be interesting to find a way to bridge over to the k8s community somehow...

That said, it's open to anyone to join!

We'll also remind people via this list.

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 2:19 PM Amulya Sharma <amulya.sharma@...> wrote:

thanks for setting this up .... how can I join this SIG is it on kubernates SIG github page

Thanks and Regards

Amulya Sharma

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 10:04 AM Chip Childers <cchilders@...> wrote:

Hey all,

First call happened just now, and hopefully it was useful for those that attended. There is obviously TONS of activity happening around the community on this topic.

I attempted to keep notes about what each speaker shared, but would welcome edits to make ti more accurate.

As I said on the call, open to feedback on format, frequency, etc...

Thanks!

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 11:22 AM Chip Childers <cchilders@...> wrote:

Hi all!

There's a ton of activity in the CF and larger open source community working to better integrate K8S (and other related projects) with the CF technology stacks. They include everything from the CFCR project, CFAR projects with work streams to explore integrations, network level integrations, approaches to make BOSH work well with k8s, ideas around containerizing the CFAR components, etc...  These efforts are happening in many different corners of our community, making it hard to track from the outside looking in. To help share what's happening, we'll be hosting an ongoing call specific to this topic. This is open to anyone that wants to join. This is an informal call for information sharing and open discussions.

First call will be this Wednesday (April 25th) at noon US Eastern (9 AM US Pacific time, 5 PM UK time). Calls will be every other week as well.

Dial in number: 215-315-3487

No PIN needed

International Callers

Dial the local number below based on your location. When prompted, enter your host's conference number (215-315-3487), then the "#" key.

-Germany: 030 30807999

-Ireland: (01) 525 5652

-United Kingdom: 020 3514 1993

Other international numbers available here: https://www.uberconference.com/international

Please shout if you have any questions. I've sent this group a placeholder for the meeting, and I'll be sharing with cf-dev@ and the broader community in the coming days.

Thanks and Regards

Amulya Sharma

Lots of folks are working on different aspects. Some rough notes from today's call are here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fUssMxFjII01viJcVOXu3RToENW_S11oI96rvnRdlkY/edit Feel free to dive into the URL's noted and / or the more formal project team backlogs.

1421 - 1440 of 9388