Date

Re: Incubation Proposal: Project CF-Abacus

Chris Sterling

This looks like a useful service. Thanks for the contribution!

Chris Sterling
chris.sterling(a)gmail.com
twitter: @csterwa
linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrissterling

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 8:37 AM, Duncan Johnston Watt <
duncan.johnstonwatt(a)cloudsoftcorp.com> wrote:

+1 this looks incredibly useful.

Best

Duncan Johnston-Watt
CEO | Cloudsoft Corporation

Twitter | @duncanjw
Mobile | +44 777 190 2653
Skype | duncan_johnstonwatt
Linkedin | www.linkedin.com/in/duncanjohnstonwatt

On 15 July 2015 at 15:07, James Bayer <jbayer(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

thanks to ibm for this proposal! we're excited to review this in more
depth.

what this means for service authors is that they would have a standard
system component and format for to track custom billing metrics for service
usage other than "how long was this service deployed". consider an email
service, you could track usage for every email sent or for a data service
you could track the amount of disk usage for data storage. it opens up a
lot of flexibility for how to do chargeback and showback.

for operators, in addition to apps, if the services provided on the
platform use this approach or are translated to this, it provides a
standard way to roll-up usage for a tenant across all of their platform
usage and present it nicely aggregated.

looking forward to the feedback,

james

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 8:30 PM, Michael Maximilien <maxim(a)us.ibm.com>

This email is to introduce and propose project Abacus to the CF
community for incubation.

*What?*

The IBM Bluemix PaaS (based on CloudFoundry) includes a billing and
metering component such that users can project and drill down on the costs
they have incurred or will incur as they use the system.

Part of this component includes not only APIs that service brokers use
to provide usage data, but also, how to aggregate that information, as well
as a component to expose the aggregated data into a format (JSON) that can
be subsequently consumed by users — this is done via a drill down UI in
Bluemix.

Project Abacus is an extracted Open Source Software version (under
Apache 2.0 license) of the APIs, usage metering, and aggregation components
from the Bluemix feature.

Finally, it’s important to state that project Abacus uses a
micro-services architecture and is written in Node.js with CouchDB
compatible DBs as datastore and for map/reduce aggregations. Also, all
components can actually run as CF apps or be externalized. In Bluemix they
run as apps.

In other words, this is a bit different from other CF components,
however, we have reviewed Abacus with our colleagues from Pivotal and they
also believe it warrants incubation.

*When?*

Now.

Find the first self-contained release here:
https://github.com/jsdelfino/cf-abacus/archive/v0.0.1.tar.gz

There is a comprehensive README
<https://github.com/jsdelfino/cf-abacus/blob/master/README.md>that can
help you setup and try this first release. The team has included a fake
broker that can be used to generate usage data so you can try the whole
thing out of the box.

*How?*

We plan to introduce this as part of the CAB call discussion tomorrow
07/15 and field any questions.

The next step will be to get approval and become an incubation project.
Once this is done we will be staffing the project with a team (many from
the Bluemix engineers that created it) as well as a PM, and follow the CFF
guidelines for new projects.

We are ready to move on this with no delays and we welcome all
interested parties to try out the first release and to help us refine the
APIs and subsequent releases.

IBM CF team

dr.max
ibm cloud labs

message after it was sent.

[...]

Re: R: Cant login from cf CLI, "Missing grant type"

Filip Hanik

Make sure you use the latest version of the CLI, that could be an issue too

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 9:25 AM, Filip Hanik <fhanik(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

You shouldn't have to add the client to the manifest, as it is
automatically added here:

https://github.com/cf-identity/cf-release/blob/identity-latest/jobs/uaa/templates/uaa.yml.erb#L128-L137

If you wish to add it, it would look like:

properties:
uaa:
clients:
cf:
authorities: "uaa.none"
authorized-grant-types: "implicit,password,refresh_token"
scope:
"cloud_controller.read,cloud_controller.write,openid,password.write,cloud_controller.admin,scim.read,scim.write,doppler.firehose"
secret: ""

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 7:35 AM, Michael Grifalconi <
michael.grifalconi(a)studenti.unimi.it> wrote:

Minimal update, I attach the new manifest, cf login trace and uaa.log
relevant part.

I am thinking that is related to the uaa->clients part of the manifest

thank you.
Michael

Il 15/07/15 08:57, *Michael Grifalconi * <
michael.grifalconi(a)studenti.unimi.it> ha scritto:

Hello all,

I can login using the web interface (login.mydomain.com) but when I try
on the cf CLI, I get:

Server error, status code 400, error code: invalid_request, message:
Missing grant type

Am I missing something in the (attached)manifest?

Thank you!

Michael

[...]

Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@...>

Thanks, James.

We're excited to begin collaboration around this with the other members.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
IBM Distinguished Engineer, CTO Open Cloud
IBM Software Group, Open Technologies
email: chrisfer@...
twitter: @christo4ferris
blog: http://thoughtsoncloud.com/index.php/author/cferris/
phone: +1 508 667 0402

thanks to ibm for this proposal! we're excited to review this in more depth.

what this means for service authors is that they would have a standard system component and format for to track custom billing metrics for service usage other than "how long was this service deployed". consider an email service, you could track usage for every email sent or for a data service you could track the amount of disk usage for data storage. it opens up a lot of flexibility for how to do chargeback and showback.

for operators, in addition to apps, if the services provided on the platform use this approach or are translated to this, it provides a standard way to roll-up usage for a tenant across all of their platform usage and present it nicely aggregated.

looking forward to the feedback,

james

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 8:30 PM, Michael Maximilien <maxim@...> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

There is a comprehensive README that can help you setup and try this first release. The team has included a fake broker that can be used to generate usage data so you can try the whole thing out of the box.

How?

We plan to introduce this as part of the CAB call discussion tomorrow 07/15 and field any questions.

The next step will be to get approval and become an incubation project. Once this is done we will be staffing the project with a team (many from the Bluemix engineers that created it) as well as a PM, and follow the CFF guidelines for new projects.

We are ready to move on this with no delays and we welcome all interested parties to try out the first release and to help us refine the APIs and subsequent releases.

IBM CF team

dr.max
ibm cloud labs

Re: CF client library

James Bayer

i believe activestate also maintains a javascript client [1]. i'm not sure
how closely that tracks the cloud controller api and if it has other non-cf
foundation extensions that map only to activestate stackato functionality.
we can add this detail to a docs page on docs.cloudfoundry.org and note
which ones are in the cf foundation and which ones are public, but not
foundation projects.

[1] https://github.com/ActiveState/cloud-foundry-client-js

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 4:29 AM, Noburou TANIGUCHI <dev(a)nota.m001.jp> wrote:

Or just DIY... cloudcontroller are pretty well documented.
Yes. I've just forgotten it. Thanks ;-).

[...]

Re: App placement in Diego

Ken Ojiri

Hi Eric,

I am very interested in this topic.
If I use Diego on hybrid(public+private) cloud environment, I will
surely use the feature.

Some '+placement-constraints' labeled tickets on Diego tracker have a
link to a proposal document (
https://github.com/pivotal-cf-experimental/diego-dev-notes/blob/master/accepted_proposals/placement_pools.md
), but I can not access it. (GitHub says 404...)
Could you let us see it?

Thanks,
Ken

---
Ken Ojiri <ozzozz(a)gmail.com>
Mitaka, Tokyo Japan

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 5:25 AM, Eric Malm <emalm(a)pivotal.io> wrote:
Hi, Josh,

You're probably remembering some discussion about the 'placement pools' or
'placement constraints' feature. We haven't implemented any of that
functionality yet in Diego, but we do have a series of stories in the Diego
tracker (https://www.pivotaltracker.com/n/projects/1003146) with the
'+placement-constraints' label that represents the currently planned work on
that track. As we complete the necessary work to get Diego to be ready for
production use, we do expect it to be among the first of the new features we
start work on.

Thanks,
Eric, CF Runtime Diego PM

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Josh Ghiloni <jghiloni(a)ecsteam.com> wrote:

Hi All,

One of the features of Diego I heard about a while ago, when I first heard
about Diego, was the ability to restrict an application’s placement to
certain availability zones / cells / etc. I’ve been looking around for
documentation on this — specifically, if it’s in Diego already and if not, a
roadmap, but I’m coming up short. Can anyone here point me to some
documentation on this feature? Our client is quite interested in it. Thanks!

Josh Ghiloni
Senior Consultant
303.932.2202 o | 303.590.5427 m | 303.565.2794 f
jghiloni(a)ecsteam.com

ECS Team
Technology Solutions Delivered
ECSTeam.com

Re: CF client library

Noburou TANIGUCHI

Or just DIY... cloudcontroller are pretty well documented.
Yes. I've just forgotten it. Thanks ;-).

Re: Deploying diego on openstack

Lev Berman <lev.berman@...>

Hello!

I described my experience and posted some samples here -
http://cf-dev.70369.x6.nabble.com/cf-dev-Recipe-to-install-Diego-tp40.html

On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Pramod Mandagere <nagapramod(a)gmail.com>

All the documentation and github code (manifest stubs) deal with deploying
diego with bosh-lite. Are there any pointer/docs for generating an
openstack manifest for diego deployment using microbosh?
If some one has an example deployment, can u post a sample manifest,

Lev Berman

Altoros - Cloud Foundry deployment, training and integration

Github
*: https://github.com/ldmberman <https://github.com/ldmberman>*

Re: CF client library

Gwenn Etourneau

Or just DIY... cloudcontroller are pretty well documented.

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Noburou TANIGUCHI <dev(a)nota.m001.jp> wrote:

Thank you Alex, and everyone.

I'd like to summarize the current status:

- 1) Language-independent
-- 1a) Use `cf curl` as external command (
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cli )
-- 1b) Use CF cli RPC server like cli plugins do (
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cli )

- 2) Language-dependent
-- 2a) Golang (official): cli: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cli
-- 2b) Java (official): cf-java-client:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cf-java-client
-- 2c) .Net (incubator): cf-dotnet-sdk:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/cf-dotnet-sdk
-- 2d) Golang (community): go-cfclient:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/go-cfclient
-- 2e) Ruby (attic - outdated?): cfoundry:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-attic/cfoundry (*1)
-- 2f) Node.js (attic -outdated?): vcap-node:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-attic/vcap-node (*2)

(*1) There are some personal? forks such as
https://github.com/lukehwang/cfoundry
(*2) I've found recently

If there is another one, please let me know.

Re: CF client library

Noburou TANIGUCHI

[...]

R: Re: R: Re: Deploy CF on OpenStack, api and uaa failing

Michael Grifalconi <michael.grifalconi@...>

I managed to do it. Now I have another problem but I will send another mail.

 The documentation was no so helpful, and still have some errors. I solved most of my problems following this post(https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/forum/#!msg/bosh-users/iU_DwXmTt7w/7J4EZQfkcAMJ). On the post there are also some errors, like the wrong passwords in the default manifest.

Thank you all!
Michael

Il 12/07/15 09:12, Yitao Jiang <jiangyt.cn(a)gmail.com> ha scritto:

What are your network security group rules ? Can you mount the nfs shared directory manually?

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 7:56 PM, Michael Grifalconi <michael.grifalconi(a)studenti.unimi.it> wrote:

Hello,

I attached the logs I got from 'bosh logs VM_JOB INSTANCE_N' and they looks the same as the ones I can see by manually ssh into the VM.
What is the difference?

I'd point you to this logs from api, about the nfs mounter:

mount.nfs: mount(2): No such file or directory
[2015-07-09 09:24:31+0000] mount.nfs: trying 10.0.0.103 prog 100003 vers 3 prot TCP port 2049
[2015-07-09 09:24:34+0000] mount.nfs: portmap query retrying: RPC: Timed out
[2015-07-09 09:24:34+0000] mount.nfs: trying 10.0.0.103 prog 100005 vers 3 prot TCP port 52652
[2015-07-09 09:24:36+0000] touch: cannot touch '/var/vcap/nfs/shared/.nfs_test': Read-only file system
[2015-07-09 09:25:34+0000] stop: Unknown instance:
[2015-07-09 09:25:38+0000] umount.nfs: /var/vcap/nfs: not mounted
[2015-07-09 09:25:38+0000] umount.nfs: remote share not in 'host:dir' format
[2015-07-09 09:25:38+0000] umount.nfs: /var/vcap/nfs: not mounted

and:

idmapd stop/waiting
[2015-07-09 09:24:28+0000] idmapd start/running, process 4862
[2015-07-09 09:24:28+0000] NFS unmounted
[2015-07-09 09:24:28+0000] Mounting NFS...
[2015-07-09 09:24:36+0000] mount.nfs: timeout set for Thu Jul 9 09:26:29 2015
[2015-07-09 09:24:36+0000] mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'timeo=10,intr,lookupcache=positive,vers=4,addr=10.0.0.103,clientaddr=10.0.0.58'
[2015-07-09 09:24:36+0000] mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'timeo=10,intr,lookupcache=positive,addr=10.0.0.103'
[2015-07-09 09:24:36+0000] mount.nfs: prog 100003, trying vers=3, prot=6
[2015-07-09 09:24:36+0000] mount.nfs: prog 100005, trying vers=3, prot=17
[2015-07-09 09:24:36+0000] mount.nfs: prog 100005, trying vers=3, prot=6
[2015-07-09 09:24:36+0000] Failed to start: cannot write to NFS
[2015-07-09 09:25:34+0000] Found NFS mount, unmounting...
[2015-07-09 09:25:34+0000] idmapd start/pre-start, process 5826
[2015-07-09 09:25:34+0000] Found NFS mount, unmounting...
[2015-07-09 09:25:38+0000] NFS unmounted
[2015-07-09 09:25:38+0000] Failed to unmount NFS, exiting...
[2015-07-09 09:27:18+0000] NFS unmounted
[2015-07-09 09:27:18+0000] idmapd start/pre-start, process 6755
[2015-07-09 09:27:18+0000] NFS unmounted
[2015-07-09 09:27:18+0000] Mounting NFS...

the manifest is on the prevuous email, I used the default manifest with the openstack stub, after that I did some edits to solve varous errors, like changing the default passwords for uaa and api, because they did not match using spiff to generate the final manifest. I also added 10.0.0.0/24(http://10.0.0.0/24) instead of null on the allowed networks for nfs connections.

If I try to write in /var/vcap/nfs as root I get permission denied. If I manually unmount and mount it back I still have no write permissions, (strange because with null instead of 10.0.0.0/24(http://10.0.0.0/24) on allowed range, I had permissions)

Thanks,
Michael

Il 09/07/15 12:56, Gwenn Etourneau <getourneau(a)pivotal.io> ha scritto:

Hi,

This log are not so usefull, can you login into the VM using bosh ssh and go to /var/vcap/sys/log/ and you will see some folder and you will have some log here.

thanks

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 7:23 PM, Michael Grifalconi <michael.grifalconi(a)studenti.unimi.it> wrote:

Hello all,

I'm trying to deploy CF on top of a little OpenStack cluster but I get api and uaa VMs constantly on starting/failing status.

After each 'bosh deploy' with some changes on the configuration, I always get:

Failed: `api_z1/0' is not running after update (00:11:07)
Error 400007: `api_z1/0' is not running after update

from api VM:

monit summary
The Monit daemon 5.2.4 uptime: 7m

Process 'cloud_controller_ng' running
Process 'cloud_controller_worker_local_1' running
Process 'cloud_controller_worker_local_2' running
Process 'nginx_cc' running
Process 'cloud_controller_migration' running
Process 'routing-api' not monitored
Process 'metron_agent' running
Process 'statsd-injector' running
Process 'consul_agent' running
File 'nfs_mounter' accessible
System 'system_1572093d-c49a-4a38-9336-6d1a288b8bd7' running

from uaa VM:

monit summary
The Monit daemon 5.2.4 uptime: 11m

Process 'uaa' Connection failed
Process 'uaa_cf-registrar' initializing
Process 'metron_agent' running
Process 'consul_agent' running
System 'system_24698313-5f71-4b4f-94fc-8e09a8da0866' running

I attach some useful info like: manifest (most probably where the error is), and logs from uaa, nfs and api
Ps. I am using a domain that is not registered on the internet, but i have a custom dns that resolve *.domain.co(http://domain.co) with the floating IP of the ha_proxy (assigned manually)

Thank you!

Michael

Yitao(依涛 姜)
jiangyt.github.io(http://jiangyt.github.io)

[...]

Re: HTTPS for Java App

Christopher Piraino <cpiraino@...>

Hi Maaz,

We recently added the ability for the GoRouter to terminate SSL/TLS
with a manifest
change
<https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cf-release/blob/14d119a69428bdc4b56ee44023606a2c77bf9459/jobs/gorouter/spec#L43>.
We
still recommend that a load balancer sit in front of the deployment in
order to be able to scale horizontally.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
Chris

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Khan, Maaz <Maaz.Khan(a)emc.com> wrote:

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the comments.

I understand how HTTPS flow works for CF with Load balancer like F5 (i.e HTTPS
-> LB -> HTTP -> GoRouter -> HTTP -> Your App)

I read here (
https://johnpfield.wordpress.com/2014/09/10/configuring-ssltls-for-cloud-foundry/)
that we can use HAProxy to enable HTTPS across the deployment.

Now since in our deployment we are using CF without HAProxy, I was
wondering if something can be done from the Gorouter point of view to
forward Https requests.

Thanks

Maaz