Date

Re: [Proposal] Sharing service instances across orgs and spaces

Matt McNeeney

Hi all,

I'm pleased to say that work will shortly be starting on the following
sharing service instances workflows:

$ cf share-service SERVICE_INSTANCE TARGET_ORG TARGET_SPACE
$ cf unshare-service SERVICE_INSTANCE TARGET_ORG TARGET_SPACE

We will feature flag this work so that this can be enabled or disabled in a
Cloud Foundry deployment. Note that a key change from the workflows we
initially shared is that this feature will now be enabled/disabled for *all
services and service plans in a deployment*. The more explicit
*enable-service-sharing
*workflows we initially proposed will likely be developed in a future
version of this feature. This stripped back permissions model will mean
that a Space Developer will be able to share a service instance in their
space into any other org and space.

Please let me know if anyone has any further thoughts on this. Your
feedback is always very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Matt

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 6:12 AM Matthew McNeeney <mmcneeney(a)pivotal.io>
wrote:

Thanks all for the great feedback. There are a lot of good ideas here that
we will use to help guide the implementation of this.

Gabriel; the relationship service instances have with ASGs is interesting.
I don't think we should automatically modify security groups when service
instances are shared, as there could be security implications in doing so.
But this is definitely something we will look into in detail.

Jouke; permanent migrations of services isn't something we've taken into
account in this sharing proposal, however I can see the use cases. I wonder
if these could be mitigated via another solution to another CF CLI command,
for example, making backing up and restoring data services easier or
available to application developers.

Daniel; I believe that idea has been raised a few times but, as I'm sure
you know, breaking the services layer out of the cloud controller could be
very tricky and time consuming. Zach R would have more thoughts on this I'm
sure.

Dies; we believe enforcing service sharing to be enabled by default is a
more secure approach. I appreciate your point that right now application
developers can effectively workaround this and share services via passing
credentials and using *cf cups*, but we know that some CF users are
looking to hide credentials as best as possible. In a more secure world
where credentials are not visible to application developers and are
protected in something like CredHub, this new workflow would be the only
way to share services, and we'd like to ensure that this new workflow is as
secure as possible.

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 6:37 AM tommyoshields71 <tommyoshields71(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Tell me is this that expensive coin that I have

On Jul 4, 2017 12:40 AM, "Koper, Dies [via CF Dev]" <[hidden email]
<http:///user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=7101&i=0>> wrote:

Hi Matt,

Can you explain the background of the service sharing enabling feature?

Who would want to disable this and for what reason?

I can imagine there are services that should not be bound to multiple
apps, maybe because of locking issues.

If that’s not a limitation/feature of the service, it may be a
constraint of the (initial) developer who created this service for a
single-user purpose.

For those cases, I feel it would make sense for the “enable” flag to be
an attribute of the service itself, or of the person (role) creating it.

How does the Org Manager come in play?

Wouldn’t I currently be copying the credentials over to another
org/person (maybe to another app developer) to store in a user-provided
service, so the additional enable step just creates an additional step
offering no protection?

Cloud Foundry Product Manager - CLI

From: Melissa Logan <mlogan(a)cloudfoundry.org>
Date: Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 1:30 PM
Subject: CF Marketplace: Forms Due Sept. 5
To: Marketing Workgroup <marketing-workgroup(a)cloudfoundry.org>
Cc: Foundation Staff <foundation-staff(a)cloudfoundry.org>

MWG Members:

As stated in our 2017 marketing plan, the Foundation is creating a
marketplace on CloudFoundry.org to showcase the depth of the Cloud Foundry
ecosystem. For those just getting started, or who want to expand their use
of the platform, it will be a comprehensive directory of available
solutions and services.

Our site is on track to reach 2M pageviews this year - almost double YOY
and averaging 166K views per month - and we continue to make site/content
improvements. We are planning a big promo push for the marketplace starting
at Europe Summit, however, *we need your input for this to be successful*
.

Clicking on links below will take you to a short form. Please complete
one for each product/service offering. *To be included in the big push,
forms are due by Wed, Sept. 6. *It should only take a few minutes per
form.

Categories:

- *Training <https://cloudfoundry.typeform.com/to/DmwLdr> - *Authorized
and non-authorized training partners.
- *Distributions <https://cloudfoundry.typeform.com/to/WEGhti> *-
Certified and non-certified providers. If your info is here
<https://www.cloudfoundry.org/certified-platforms/>, no need to
complete form unless you have updates.
- *Infrastructure Providers
<https://cloudfoundry.typeform.com/to/nAymGJ>* - IaaS or
infrastructure providers supported by CF BOSH CPI.
- *Services <https://cloudfoundry.typeform.com/to/xLVFLR>* -
Implementations of the Open Service Broker API designed to work with Cloud
Foundry (e.g. service integrations, buildpack extensions).
- *Consulting & Integrators
<https://cloudfoundry.typeform.com/to/nljxqs> *- With specific
practices that include Cloud Foundry. If you offer training, complete that
form separately.
- *Other Integrations <https://cloudfoundry.typeform.com/to/uxDtFo> *-
Other integrations that work with Cloud Foundry not described above.

In the coming weeks, we'll share page design.

Let us know if you have questions in the meantime.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

--
Melissa Logan
Cloud Foundry Foundation

Do you spend more time on operations than coding? Maybe it's time to get
Cloud Foundry. https://youtu.be/em-W0rVbCLc

https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/d/msgid/foundation-staff/CANuAHwoydN_-pbhwtFm32paE9yuDgJiD7_qbAe1gq-GOhCmW0w%40mail.gmail.com
<https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/d/msgid/foundation-staff/CANuAHwoydN_-pbhwtFm32paE9yuDgJiD7_qbAe1gq-GOhCmW0w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
1.267.250.0815 <(267)%20250-0815>

Re: CF Marketplace: Forms Due Sept. 5

Jane Day

wrote:

[...]

Re: Issue with cf service plan name access and update

Ketaki Gadre <kets.gadre@...>

Hi Zach,

We are already using cf release greater than 255, I still see the same
issue. Any idea why this should be happening?

On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 4:22 AM, Zach Robinson <zrobinson(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Hello Ketaki,

This is a known issue. When a plan is disabled it becomes "invisible" to
users. However, we don't remove existing service instances because this
would break existing apps. Ideally a user would then update to a new plan
that is supported by their marketplace. However, as you noted, the update
doesn't work because the user can no longer see the old plan.

We addressed this in this story https://www.pivotaltracker.
com/story/show/137123835 and the fix should be available in cf release
255 or greater.

-Zach

Re: Angular 2 app on cloud foundry

Daniel Jones

Hi Wenqun,

I'm not much of a front-end person. How do you define "dynamic" in this
sense? I've seen the term used in Angular projects to refer to deciding
which modules loaded in at run-time, which wouldn't be a problem with the
staticfile buildpack as it's all client-side logic.

If you need to dynamically generate the content of JavaScript files that
are then served to the client, you will need some sort of server-side
processing capability. If you want to keep everything JavaScript, then you
could use the Node buildpack.

Regards,
Daniel Jones - CTO
+44 (0)79 8000 9153
@DanielJonesEB <https://twitter.com/DanielJonesEB>
*EngineerBetter* Ltd <http://www.engineerbetter.com> - UK Cloud Foundry
Specialists

On 22 August 2017 at 21:55, Lang, Wenqun [USA] <Lang_Wenqun(a)bah.com> wrote:

Hello,

Is there a way to deploy a full fledged dynamic angular2 application in
CloudFoundry? There is a staticfile buildpack, I assume it won’t support
dynamic content.

Looking forward hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Wenqun Lang

Re: AWS Elastic Cache service broker

Dave Nielsen <dnielsen@...>

Hi Sachin,

It may not support Elastic Cache, but there is a Redis Service Broker
<https://docs.pivotal.io/partners/rle-service-broker/> for Pivotal
Labs that works with Redis Enterprise
<https://redislabs.com/why-redis/redis-enterprise/> by Redis Labs. You can
use it in any situation where you are considering Elastic Cache, plus a lot
lot more.

There is also an open source version of it on Github
<https://github.com/RedisLabs/cf-redislabs-broker>. This was the original
version, before they turned it into a Pivotal Tile.

A bit late, but I answered it within 5 mins of reading it = )

Dave Nielsen @davenielsen
Big Data Technologies, Intel Software
Organizer: http://meetup.com/cloudfoundry

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Sachin Garg <satch326(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Is there an Elastic Cache service broker for AWS that can be leveraged?

Thanks,
Sachin
--
Dave Nielsen
Technical Program Manager, BigDL, Deep Learning for Spark

Angular 2 app on cloud foundry

Lang, Wenqun [USA] <Lang_Wenqun@...>

Hello,

Is there a way to deploy a full fledged dynamic angular2 application in CloudFoundry? There is a staticfile buildpack, I assume it won't support dynamic content.

Looking forward hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Wenqun Lang

Re: HTTP tracing on internal CF components?

Behrooz Nobakht <nobeh5@...>

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 10:37 PM, Behrooz Nobakht <nobeh5(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

CF docs [1], [2] explain how HTTP tracing with Zipkin can be enabled
and how gorouter intercepts the HTTP headers.

Is there also a way other internal components similarly trace their
requests and
send the traces to a Zipkin server (or even log)? Motivation is mainly to
try identify bottlenecks in a CF deployment to extract improvement actions.

Behrooz

--
-- Behrooz Nobakht

HTTP tracing on internal CF components?

Behrooz Nobakht <nobeh5@...>

Hi,

CF docs [1], [2] explain how HTTP tracing with Zipkin can be enabled
and how gorouter intercepts the HTTP headers.

Is there also a way other internal components similarly trace their
requests and
send the traces to a Zipkin server (or even log)? Motivation is mainly to
try identify bottlenecks in a CF deployment to extract improvement actions.

Behrooz

FYI: CF-Extensions PMC monthly call next Monday 8/28 @ 11a PDT

Brief reminder of the monthly (last Monday each month) Zoom call [1] next week 8/28 @ 11a PDT. Working agenda and notes [2].

This is where we get updates from Extensions projects and discuss incoming pipeline, tools, etc.

Everyone is welcome to join.

ibm cloud labs
sillicon valley, ca
usa

[1] https://zoom.us/j/5592737187
[2] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RCMHYFQaB1oqdEKev-cVF2Rrr6qqCT9C6RmFFKmUxnI

Re: Sample .NET hello_world app

Chris Clark

Thank you Yannic & Christian!

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 3:35 AM, Christian Brinker <cbrinker(a)evoila.de>
wrote:

Hallo Chris,

talk to Yannic. He will rerun it in the next few days when he finds some
spare time for it. And yes, Yannic and I have a lightning talk at the
summit. We are in Basel beginning with Community user day on Tuesday. So
see you around there :)

Best
Christian

On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 at 17:44 Chris Clark <cclark(a)cloudfoundry.org> wrote:

Hallo Christian,

Thanks again for your help! Obviously, this isn't a mistake on your
end. But I think we may need to rerecord the Go video with a different
text editor.

There are two ways to embed an Asciinema video. First, and simplest, is
to include the link to the hosted video. Second, is to download a json
file with data about the video and have the embedded player render a new
video from that data.

Our web team ultimately had to go the json file approach, as the simpler
way does not allow resizing of the videos (it just cuts off the text), and
we needed all the videos to be of uniform size.

My assumption is there is some sort of compatibility problem with the way
Asciinema constructs that json file and Neovim, leading to incorrect line
numbers in the json file. I could be wrong.

Would you be able to rerecord the Go video with a different text editor?
'vim', 'vi', 'cat' all seemed to work on the other videos.
If you're making it to summit in Basel, beers are on me.

-Chris

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 3:36 AM, Christian Brinker <cbrinker(a)evoila.de>
wrote:

Hallo together,

@Graham, @Maximilien I agree with you two. My colleague Yannic and I
made the java and the golang example. But the version uploaded to
asciinema.org does not have these problems. We assume some problem due
to the embedding or something. See the original screencasts at
https://asciinema.org/~yremmet Neither the line break problem in the
golang nor the % character in the java screencast exist there.

@Chris can you have a look at it again? We scripted both screencasts. So
redoing them is not that problem, if we knew what we have to change. Maybe
formatting on the page or smaller editor window?

Best
Christian

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 at 20:18 Michael Maximilien <mmaximilien(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Yeah, really nice.

Agree with Graham, the Golang one has some issues, perhaps a better
editor could be used :)

BTW, Chris, can you share links to the https://asciinema.org
<https://asciinema.org/a/133943> files so we can tweet about them and
of course point folks to the https://www.cloudfoundry.org/platform/
for the rest.

Cheers,

Max

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Chris Clark <cclark(a)cloudfoundry.org>
wrote:

Perfect. Thank you!

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Zach Brown <zbrown(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Here you go: https://asciinema.org/a/133943

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Zach Brown <zbrown(a)pivotal.io>
wrote:

I'll take a crack at one.

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Chris Clark <
cclark(a)cloudfoundry.org> wrote:

Hello all,

A while back I'd asked for help with a few sample apps to go on
the CF website. Thank you to everyone who helped out with that! They are
up, here: https://www.cloudfoundry.org/platform/.

Would anyone be willing and able to make a quick video of a .NET
app to add to those we've already done? Basically, use asciinema
<https://asciinema.org/> to record a 3-5 minute (approx.) video of
your terminal window as you make a hello_world app, push it to a Cloud
Foundry instance of your choice, and than curl it to show that it is
working.

Please reach out if you'd be willing to help out with this, or if
you have any questions. Thank you!

- Chris

--

*Zach Brown* | Strategic Product Owner

650-954-0427 <(650)%20954-0427> - mobile

zbrown(a)pivotal.io

<http://pivotal.io>

--

http://maximilien.org
--
E-Mail: cbrinker(a)evoila.de

evoila GmbH
Wilhelm-Theodor-Römheld-Str. 34
55130 Mainz
Germany

Geschäftsführer: Johannes Hiemer

Amtsgericht Mainz HRB 42719

You are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error)
e-mail is strictly forbidden.
--
E-Mail: cbrinker(a)evoila.de

evoila GmbH
Wilhelm-Theodor-Römheld-Str. 34
55130 Mainz
Germany

Geschäftsführer: Johannes Hiemer

Amtsgericht Mainz HRB 42719

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If You
e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Re: Service broker authors: have you ever changed your service or plan names?

Ketaki Gadre <kets.gadre@...>

We have renamed plans for services in the past and will be good to have
feature. As already mentioned, a proper contract to handle such service
plan names renaming would definitely help.

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 5:54 PM, Guillaume Berche <bercheg(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Shannon,

We have occasionally renamed service plan names in the past. For example,
we introduced a new experimental service and named the plan "alpha" (in
addition to the plan description detailing the alpha semantics). When we
managed to improve quality of service for this experimental service without
requiring users involvement (such as rebinds or creating new service
instance), then we renamed the "alpha" plan into "default".

Most of our applications don't leverage the "plan" key in the
VCAP_SERVICES [1] so a stale value following a renaming had not much
impact.

[1] http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/devguide/deploy-apps/
environment-variable.html#VCAP-SERVICES

Guillaume.

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 9:40 PM, Sascha Matzke <sascha.matzke(a)didolo.org>
wrote:

We've refrained from renaming and extended the service catalog of
affected brokers with additional "new" entries with new names and UUIDs and
actively phased out the old ones (restricted access etc.).

There are so many delicate mechanisms bound to the names of marketplace
services (triggers in buildpacks, spring cloud magic) that renaming
existing services seemed to risky.

A clearer contract about how to handle service and service plan names
would definitely help (are the names just display names or is it ok to use
them otherwise).

Best,

Sascha

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 11:58 PM, Shannon Coen <scoen(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

The Service Broker API currently supports modifying the service name and
plan name fields, as a uuid is used as the unique identifier. These names
are used in CLI workflows, and are used by applications to parse the
VCAP_SERVICES environment variable to identify credentials. In practice, if
these names are changed it may require updating an application to use the
new service name to identify credentials.

The metadata field is often used to expose display names for services
and plans.

The Open Service Broker API working group is interested to know how
often these names actually change, and whether they could be considered
immutable in the future.

Through the darkness of future past
the magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
*Fire walk with me*.

Re: Sample .NET hello_world app

Christian Brinker

wrote:

[...]

Michael Maximilien

Sweet, you are correct. Looks great. Thanks for sending direct link.

Cheers,

Max

wrote:

Perfect. Thank you!

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Zach Brown <zbrown(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Here you go: https://asciinema.org/a/133943

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 2:02 PM, Zach Brown <zbrown(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

I'll take a crack at one.

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Chris Clark <cclark(a)cloudfoundry.org

[...]

Re: Incubation Proposal: Service Fabrik

Michael Maximilien

(cf-dev moved to bcc:)

Hi, Ashish and SAP team,

Thanks for the submission. Let's find some time in the coming two weeks to
chat about this in details.

I'll also do a review of your proposal before we chat. Finally, please be
ready to present in September that would be great.

Please let me know what date/time works.

Best,

Max

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 8:43 AM, Jain, Ashish <ashish.jain09(a)sap.com> wrote:

Hello Everyone,

SAP would like to propose to the CF Extensions PMC a new incubation
project *Service Fabrik* focusing on provisioning & management of
enterprise grade backing services like PostgreSQL, MongoDB, RabbitMQ, Redis.

This project aims to enable multi cloud deployment of backing services and
managing day2 <https://dzone.com/articles/defining-day-2-operations>
operations with ease & speed.

*Project Name:* Service Fabrik

*Project Proposal: *https://docs.google.com/document/d/
1LiYxLkHoAThLXQp08Wvrit8kg07J1GdsbIkid6X145I/edit?usp=sharing

*Proposed Project Lead: *Ashish Jain(SAP)

*Proposed Scope: *Check “*High Level Goals” *in the proposal document

*Development Operating Model:* Pairing Model

*Technical Approach: *Check the *“Implementation Details”* in the
proposal document

*Initial Committed Engineers: *11 Engineers from SAP

Thanks & Regards

Ashish Jain, SAP

Re: Service Fabrik goes Open Source

Michael Maximilien

Absolutely! Will reach out to Ashish and other SAP friends to schedule for September.

dr.max

ibm cloud labs
sillicon valley, ca
usa

On Aug 21, 2017, at 8:56 AM, Chip Childers <cchilders(a)cloudfoundry.org> wrote:

Neat!

cc/ Dr Max, since I think this would be really cool to have as a demo on one of the monthly CAB calls!

-chip

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:47 AM Jain, Ashish <ashish.jain09(a)sap.com> wrote:
Dear All,

SAP Cloud Platform team proudly announces the Open Source release of Service Fabrik (SF) and related projects.

What is Service Fabrik?

Service Fabrik is Cloud Foundry broker envisioned as one-stop for provisioning & management of enterprise grade backing services (for example PostgreSQL, MongoDB, RabbitMQ, Redis) for enterprise grade Cloud Foundry applications. It supports provisioning of developer only services using Docker Swarm and production grade services via BOSH release.

Hmm, What else?

Well, it enables provisioning of highly available and scalable services on a multi-cloud infrastructure with ease and speed. Effortlessly monitor, upgrade services with patches, security updates and backup or restore mission critical data in a periodic automated way are some of its key highlights.

Ohh really, anyone using it?

We already have hundreds of BOSH based & thousands of Containers based service deployments running in production which uses Service Fabrik. We recently announced the General Availability of backing services, managed by Service Fabrik, on SAP Cloud Platform.

That seems promising where can I get all of it?

Service Fabrik code can be found here. Details on related GitHub repositories below

[1] service-fabrik-boshrelease - BOSH release to deploy Service Fabrik
[2] service-fabrik-lvm-volume-driver - Logical volume driver for Docker based service
[3] service-fabrik-blueprint-service - Test service to try out Service Fabrik
[4] service-fabrik-blueprint-app - Test app to try out blueprint service
[5] service-fabrik-blueprint-boshrelease – BOSH release for blueprint service
[6] service-fabrik-backup-restore – Library for backup & restore of service instances.

Some resources which will provide more insight on Service Fabrik are as follows:
[1] Service-Fabrik @ Silicon Valley Summit

[2] Service Fabrik goes Open Source

And We Propose to Incubate!

We have made the proposal to include Service Fabrik as Cloud Foundry incubation project, details here

That sounds awesome, but who rescues me?

Our team is just one click away, feel free to post an issue and we will help you at the earliest.

What Else?

Thanks from the SAP Cloud Platform & See you soon.

Re: Sample .NET hello_world app

Chris Clark

Zach, thanks again for the .NET video!

Dr. Max, once we have that up, and the Go video fixed, I'll follow up here
with links to all.

On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Chris Clark <cclark(a)cloudfoundry.org>
wrote:

Graham,

Thanks for catching that, and for your suggestions on the wording above!

-Chris

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 7:43 AM, Graham Bleach <graham.bleach(a)digital.
cabinet-office.gov.uk> wrote:

On 17 August 2017 at 20:58, Chris Clark <cclark(a)cloudfoundry.org> wrote:

A while back I'd asked for help with a few sample apps to go on the CF
website. Thank you to everyone who helped out with that! They are up,
here: https://www.cloudfoundry.org/platform/.
These look pretty good and will be great for showing people how easy it
is to get started.

In the go demo video when the code's being typed into an editor it seems
to have a few linebreaks mid-line-of-code.

I think that the line "deployed in container images on any
infrastructure", would be more correct if it said "deployed in containers
on a choice of cloud infrastructures" - I think "container image" means
something more like a Docker/OCI image than a running container, and there
are *some* restrictions on which IaaS provider it can be deployed on,
although it's a pretty wide choice :)

Other than that, it looks very good.

Cheers,
Graham