Date

Re: Proposed changes to Gorouter log message format

Etourneau Gwenn

Shannon,

Can you share about the improvements you are talking about ?

The Routing team is moving from cloudfoundry/lager to uber-go/zap logging
library for the Gorouter log, as we have observed improvements to
throughput performance using zap. This change has no impact on the
access.log, only to gorouter.log.

The Gorouter log message will change in the following ways. Please let us
know if any of these are a concern. Thank you!

1. "session" removed from "data" key. Does anyone use this?

lager
"data":{"host":"10.0.32.21:4222","session":"1"}

zap
"data":{"host":"10.0.32.21:4222"}

2. Values for "source" key more granular. Seems helpful for filtering
messages for like operations

lager
"source":"vcap.gorouter"

zap
"source":"vcap.gorouter"
"source":"vcap.gorouter.nats"
"source":"vcap.gorouter.subscriber"
"source":"vcap.gorouter.router"
"source":"vcap.gorouter.registry"

3. Source no longer prepends value of "message" key, as it is redundant
to the "source" key.

lager
"message":"vcap.gorouter.starting"

zap
"message":"starting"

4. Key reordering. My expectation is that no one should be using key order
for log analysis.

lager
{"timestamp","source","message","log_level","data"}

zap
{"log_level","timestamp","message","source","data"}

Full example log messages: https://gist.github.com/shalako/
79c8d7e8bf6d26b9934bb2679914c856

Proposed changes to Gorouter log message format

Shannon Coen

[...]

Re: 2017 CF Summit Silicon Valley Contributor Code

Chip Childers <cchilders@...>

Hi all!

On today's CAB call, Dr. Max asked if this thread could be bumped so
everyone is reminded to see it.

Contributors: Don't forget to register!

-chip

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 12:22 PM Chip Childers <cchilders(a)cloudfoundry.org>
wrote:

Hi all!

Some of you may have noticed that the registration is now open for the
upcoming CF Summit in Silicon Valley, and we are offering free passes for
contributors to the project again.

This code can be used by anyone that is a contributor to a Cloud Foundry
or BOSH project. We consider contributions to be project leads, dedicated
committers or even if you have sent in a pull request to one of the
projects.

Use of the code is on the honor system... ;-)

https://www.cloudfoundry.org/summit2017/?utm_source=flash&utm_campaign=summit_2017_sv&utm_medium=eml&utm_term=cloud%20foundry%20summit

Code: CFSV17CONT
Feel free to reach out to me or to events(a)cloudfoundry.org if you have
any questions.

See you there!
1.267.250.0815 <(267)%20250-0815>

Update to Garden RunC vulnerability notice

Molly Crowther

Hello - we originally thought we were not vulnerable to a vulnerability in
RunC but turns out it is complicated. Please see updated notice below.

https://www.cloudfoundry.org/cve-2016-9962/

Molly Crowther
CFF Security Team

RunC Exec Vulnerability

Severity

Medium/Low
Vendor

Open Containers Initiative
Description

RunC allowed additional container processes via runc exec to be ptraced by
the pid 1 of the container. This allows the main processes of the
container, if running as root, to gain access to file-descriptors of these
new processes during the initialization and can lead to container escapes
or modification of runC state before the process is fully placed inside the
container.
Affected Cloud Foundry Products and Versions

- Garden-runC versions prior to 1.1.1

The Cloud Foundry team has determined that the project is not exposed to
this particular vulnerability and therefore does not require any upgrades.
As Cloud Foundry never runs user processes as pid 1 and runs all buildpack
containers as unprivileged users in a user namespace, and as Cloud Foundry
uses apparmor to prevent ptrace, the specific exploit in the CVE is not
possible.

However, the CVE patch from runC also worked around an Ubuntu kernel bug
that resulted in file descriptors which were inherited by a new process
being available for a very short time when they should have been
automatically closed. This could result in a container being able to access
files on the host, although not with elevated permissions.
Mitigation

OSS users are encouraged to follow one of the mitigations below:

- Upgrade garden-runC to version 1.1.1 or later.

Credit

Credit for this discovery goes to Aleksa Sarai from SUSE and Tõnis Tiigi
from Docker.
References

- Original CVE from Docker: http://seclists.org/oss-sec/2017/q1/54
- Ubuntu tracking for kernel bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1654602

Proposal: BOSH-aware DNS server

In service of the initiative to remove the hard dependency on Consul for Locks
& Service Discovery in CF Runtime
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/16O5Rk5tOmHc2Qeya7soVHoASAgrH9jYZ0V3fS58dY14/edit>,
we are proposing BOSH-native DNS in the form of a BOSH-aware DNS server.
Please see the proposal document
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GsS1S7XFJoeLR1kYY46u4pcX08lRDvXUrjkssuyKI4s/edit#>
for more details and discussion.

Re: Locks & Service Discovery in CF Runtime

Mike Youngstrom

I like the direction. This change will be good.

Mike

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Matthew Kocher <mkocher(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Hi All - We're proposing prioritizing work among all core Cloud Foundry
components to move necessary locks from a shared distributed data store
into components’ own data stores and allow for generic DNS based service
discovery. This is in response to operational difficulties with Consul as
well as seeing multiple places where app availability has depended on
Consul.

Please see the Locks & Service Discovery in CF Runtime
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/16O5Rk5tOmHc2Qeya7soVHoASAgrH9jYZ0V3fS58dY14/edit> proposal
for more details and discussion.

Matthew Kocher
Sr. Director of Engineering, Cloud Foundry @ Pivotal

Locks & Service Discovery in CF Runtime

Matthew Kocher <mkocher@...>

Hi All - We're proposing prioritizing work among all core Cloud Foundry
components to move necessary locks from a shared distributed data store
into components’ own data stores and allow for generic DNS based service
discovery. This is in response to operational difficulties with Consul as
well as seeing multiple places where app availability has depended on
Consul.

Please see the Locks & Service Discovery in CF Runtime
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/16O5Rk5tOmHc2Qeya7soVHoASAgrH9jYZ0V3fS58dY14/edit>
proposal
for more details and discussion.

Matthew Kocher
Sr. Director of Engineering, Cloud Foundry @ Pivotal

Re: API to get instance details at the space level

Ronak Banka

Hi,

For detailed info, you have to iterate over app endpoint for each app in
space.

Thanks
Ronak

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 19:21 Patil, Sukhil <sukhil.patil(a)sap.com> wrote:

Thanks for your quick response paolo but the apps
call(/v2/spaces/$space-id/apps) will not give any information about
instances like this

https://apidocs.cloudfoundry.org/242/apps/get_the_instance_information_for_a_started_app.html
.

From: Michael Maximilien/Almaden/IBM
To: cf-dev@...
Cc: mmaximilien@...
Subject: CF CAB call for January next Wednesday 18th @ 8a PDT
Date: Tue, Jan 10, 2017 3:45 PM

Hi, all,

Please note that the first CAB call of 2017 is next Wednesday, January 18th @ 8a PST.

I had to change the schedule a bit since the previous Google Calendar expired. I added a link to the new calendar [1] as well as the agenda [2] below.

Please go to slack.cloudfoundry.org and join the #CAB channel for previous and future discussions. Post any comments and questions there as well.

Finally, please nominate projects, yourself, or others for presentations. Feel free to connect with me directly so I add you to schedule.

Talk to you all next week. We'll send one more email reminder on this list.

ibm cloud labs
sillicon valley, ca

Sent from my iPhone

Re: CF CAB call for January next Wednesday 18th @ 8a PDT

Michael Maximilien

Thanks Guillaume. We should have a couple presentations as well and updates
from team. Will send other reminders soon.

Best,

Max

On Mon, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Guillaume Berche <bercheg(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Thanks Max, I've added some questions to the google agenda, maybe we can
also go through previously unanswered questions prepared by the community
for past meeting.

Guillaume.

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 12:45 AM, Michael Maximilien <maxim(a)us.ibm.com>

Please note that the first CAB call of 2017 is next Wednesday,
January 18th @ 8a PST.

I had to change the schedule a bit since the previous Google Calendar
expired. I added a link to the new calendar [1] as well as the agenda [2]
below.

Please go to slack.cloudfoundry.org and join the #CAB channel for
previous and future discussions. Post any comments and questions there as
well.

Finally, please nominate projects, yourself, or others for presentations.
Feel free to connect with me directly so I add you to schedule.

Talk to you all next week. We'll send one more email reminder on this
list.

ibm cloud labs
sillicon valley, ca

Sent from my iPhone

[1] https://calendar.google.com/calendar/event?action=TEMPLA
TE&tmeid=bm01NnQ0a25oaW5pZjNycDFxamNkanQzOTBfMjAxNzAxMThUMTY
wMDAwWiBtbWF4aW1pbGllbkBt&tmsrc=mmaximilien%40gmail.com

[2] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SCOlAquyUmNM-AQnekCO
XiwhLs6gveTxAcduvDcW_xI

--
max
http://maximilien.org

Re: CF CAB call for January next Wednesday 18th @ 8a PDT

Guillaume Berche

[...]

Re: Incubation proposal: Abacus Service Broker

Casey West

Please include me, Hristo. Thank you!

— Casey

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 10:15 Hristo Iliev <hsiliev(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

We are planning an inception on January 31st from 10am PST.

We invite everyone interested to take a look at the proposal [1], provide
feedback, and join us at the inception meeting.

If you want to attend, please reply to me directly so I can send invites
with the connection details.

Regards,

Hristo Iliev

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zGYi0jGRX9kodn8WR8OHn6CSjo3BTorfuza121aIeuU/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Incubation proposal: Abacus Service Broker

Hristo Iliev

Hi all,

We are planning an inception on January 31st from 10am PST.

We invite everyone interested to take a look at the proposal [1], provide feedback, and join us at the inception meeting.

If you want to attend, please reply to me directly so I can send invites with the connection details.

Regards,
Hristo Iliev

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zGYi0jGRX9kodn8WR8OHn6CSjo3BTorfuza121aIeuU/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Considering deprecation of the HAProxy in cf-release

Shannon Coen

Hi Dies,

You'd probably need to set the following properties in your cf-release
manifest:

router.enable_ssl: true

router.ssl_cert: <cert from ha_proxy.ssl_pem>
router.ssl_key: <key from ha_proxy.ssl_pem>

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Koper, Dies <diesk(a)fast.au.fujitsu.com>
wrote:

Hi Shannon,

For a simple bosh-lite user like me, not used to modifying the manifest
stubs, is there an easy way on my default (Virtualbox) bosh-lite deployment
to try out using CF without HAProxy, to see if it has any impact on what I
do?

I tried adding the following to my /etc/hosts file as a test, but `cf
login` failed with a “dial tcp 10.244.0.138:443: getsockopt: connection
refused” – I

Do I need to manually edit the manifest and copy over the bosh-lite
wildcard certificate into the gorouter section and enable its tsl
termination, and maybe also remove any restrictions in place on IP
addressed connections are accepted from?

10.244.0.22 api.bosh-lite.com

10.244.0.22 uaa.bosh-lite.com

10.244.0.22 login.bosh-lite.com

10.244.0.22 doppler.bosh-lite.com