Date

manifest files and the Java client

Azad Bolour

Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I can tell, the cloud foundry Java API does not directly support the creation of an application based on the the manifest file as defined in:

http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/devguide/deploy-apps/manifest.html

My reading of the code is that the implementation of the create application function in the Java client boils down to the createApplication method of the class CloudControllerClientImpl:

public void createApplication(
String appName, Staging staging, Integer disk, Integer memory,
List<String> uris, List<String> serviceNames)

But the uris parameters does not appear in the manifest specification.

How should I define the uris parameter in terms of the fields in the manifest? Is there sample code somewhere that would clue me into how to do this?

Many thanks.

Azad

Re: [bosh-dev] Blog Post

Leandro David Cacciagioni

I'll be creating a new blog post with the new method this week...

El jue, jun 18, 2015 18:48, Koper, Dies <diesk(a)fast.au.fujitsu.com>
escribió:

Nice blog!

You use “the old good CLI” to deploy MicroBOSH, the bosh_cli_plugin_micro
that is going to be deprecated any moment now.

Why not use bosh-init?

From: Corentin Dupont <corentin.dupont(a)create-net.org>
Date: Mon, May 25, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Subject: scheduler
To: cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org

Hi guys,
just to know, is there a project to add a job scheduler in Cloud
Foundry?
I'm thinking of something like the Heroku scheduler (
https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/scheduler).
That would be very neat to have regular tasks triggered...
Thanks,
Corentin

--

Corentin Dupont
Researcher @ Create-Netwww.corentindupont.info

Corentin Dupont
Researcher @ Create-Netwww.corentindupont.info

Sign up the Dojo program

Layne Peng

Hi,

I am not sure if this maillist the right place to ask about Dojo program, but I cannot find any information about how to sign up the program in internet.

I am from EMC China R&D, there three persons want to attend the Dojo program in Pivotal Labs. Can anyone give us some hint?

- Layne

CF CLI config.json File Org Quota Data Question

Greg Oehmen

Currently the config.json file includes information about the targeted
environment. For an org that set of information includes the org quota:

"OrganizationFields": {
"Guid": "588ea1fb-bdd0-459d-9004-b2df28637649",
"Name": "pivot-goehmen",
"QuotaDefinition": {
"name": "",
"memory_limit": 0,
"instance_memory_limit": 0,
"total_routes": 0,
"total_services": 0,
"non_basic_services_allowed": false
}
},

Is anyone keying off the QuotaDefinition data in the config.json file? I'd
like to remove it since once a user targets an env and config.json is
populated, an admin can then update the quota and config.json file contains
stale info.

Thanks

The CLI Team

Re: [bosh-dev] Blog Post

Koper, Dies <diesk@...>

Nice blog!
You use “the old good CLI” to deploy MicroBOSH, the bosh_cli_plugin_micro that is going to be deprecated any moment now.
Why not use bosh-init?

Hi guys, I have created a simple blog post about MicroBOSH with external components, any feedback about it will be great and I'll really appreciate for taking your time to read it.

Here is the link: http://wp.me/p5G2dP-1S

Thanks,
Leandro.-
--
This mailing list is for closed, and is available for archival purposes only. For active discussion, please visit https://lists.cloudfoundry.org/mailman/listinfo/cf-bosh or email cf-bosh(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org<mailto:cf-bosh(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>.

Blog Post

Leandro David Cacciagioni

Hi guys, I have created a simple blog post about MicroBOSH with external
components, any feedback about it will be great and I'll really appreciate
for taking your time to read it.

Here is the link: http://wp.me/p5G2dP-1S

Thanks,
Leandro.-

Re: cf-dev Digest, Vol 3, Issue 92

Casey West

From: Sandy Cash Jr <lhcash(a)us.ibm.com>
Reply: Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall. <cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>>
Date: June 18, 2015 at 15:00:50
To: cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org <cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>>
Subject:  Re: [cf-dev] cf-dev Digest, Vol 3, Issue 92

Since sendmail appears to be missing from the CF stemcell, how are
people sending email from PHP apps?

Thanks,
matt
I am not a PHP guy at all, and I don't know if this is part of the PHP buildback, but PEAR::mail (http://pear.php.net/package/Mail) appears to support remote STMP hosts, which would obviate the need for a local sendmail binary.
I’m also not a PHP developer, however your suggestion is in line with cloud-native application development. That is to say, “treat backing services as attached resources”.

Typically when requiring a backing service, such as outbound email, you use a third-party service. This could be a direct SMTP interaction to, say, gmail, or it could be via an API such as SendGrid. I’m not advocating a particular service, that requires research into your app’s needs, but the general approach is advised.

— Casey

Cloud Foundry Eclipse 1.8.3 released

Nieraj Singh

We have released Cloud Foundry Eclipse 1.8.3.

It is now available from this Eclipse installation site:

http://download.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/cloudfoundry

This URL should be used in Help -> Install New Software in
Eclipse/Spring Tool Suite (STS)
if doing a manual update or installation.

Further installation instructions are here:

http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/buildpacks/java/sts.html#install

The upcoming STS 3.7.0 will also include Cloud Foundry Eclipse 1.8.3.

Changes include:

- Better support for Spring Boot applications in STS. Spring Boot
projects can now be deployed to
Cloud Foundry by drag and drop or Run on Server without any additional
manual configuration.
The manual "Configure -> Enable As Cloud Foundry App" is no longer required.

- Fix for jar files in manifest.yml "path" where old jars were always
pushed: updated jars are now pushed.

- Fixed issue where war files in manifest.yml "path" were not pushed.

- New feature to detect if user is using an older JRE in Eclipse and
prompt user to use Java 7, which is a
minimum requirement to install and run Cloud Foundry Eclipse.

- Better handling of cancelled application deployment operations.

- Fixed issue with "Close Console" button appearing in non-CF console toolbars.

- "Map/Unmap Project" feature for linking a deployed application to a
workspace project is now
"Link with Project/Unlink Project" and includes a fix for application
refresh after the link operation is completed.

- Various improvements and bug fixes for server instance creation,
service deletion, deleting applications,
and Servers view application labels.

Please raise any issues here:

https://github.com/cloudfoundry/eclipse-integration-cloudfoundry

Re: cf-dev Digest, Vol 3, Issue 92

Sandy Cash Jr <lhcash@...>

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 15:41:25 +0000
From: "Curry, Matthew" <Matt.Curry(a)allstate.com>
To: "cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org" <cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>
Subject: [cf-dev] PHP Buildpack and email

Since sendmail appears to be missing from the CF stemcell, how are
people sending email from PHP apps?

Thanks,
matt
I am not a PHP guy at all, and I don't know if this is part of the PHP
buildback, but PEAR::mail (http://pear.php.net/package/Mail) appears to
support remote STMP hosts, which would obviate the need for a local
sendmail binary.

-Sandy

--
Sandy Cash
Certified Senior IT Architect/Senior SW Engineer

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been.” -
Wayne Gretzky

Re: PHP Buildpack and email

Nicholas Calugar

Hi Matthew,

You could use something like Zend\Mail and the Zend\Mail\Transport\Smtp, an
SMTP implementation in PHP.

http://framework.zend.com/manual/current/en/modules/zend.mail.introduction.html
http://framework.zend.com/manual/current/en/modules/zend.mail.transport.html#zend-mail-transport-quick-start-smtp-usage

Nicholas Calugar
Pivotal - Cloud Foundry

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Curry, Matthew <Matt.Curry(a)allstate.com>
wrote:

Since sendmail appears to be missing from the CF stemcell, how are
people sending email from PHP apps?

Thanks,
matt

App placement in Diego

Josh Ghiloni

Hi All,

One of the features of Diego I heard about a while ago, when I first heard about Diego, was the ability to restrict an application’s placement to certain availability zones / cells / etc. I’ve been looking around for documentation on this — specifically, if it’s in Diego already and if not, a roadmap, but I’m coming up short. Can anyone here point me to some documentation on this feature? Our client is quite interested in it. Thanks!

Josh Ghiloni
Senior Consultant
303.932.2202 o | 303.590.5427 m | 303.565.2794 f
jghiloni(a)ecsteam.com<mailto:jghiloni(a)ecsteam.com>

ECS Team
Technology Solutions Delivered
ECSTeam.com<http://ECSTeam.com>

PHP Buildpack and email

Matt Curry

Since sendmail appears to be missing from the CF stemcell, how are people sending email from PHP apps?

Thanks,
matt

Re: Log drain for an app

Daniel Mikusa

John,

Thanks again! I was able to get this working. Some notes below if anyone
else is trying this out.

I see three questions in your email, which I'll try to address in turn:

- *"Can my application send logs with a unique token?"* – Your
application can add any text it likes to the message, of course. When
they're sent to the syslog drain, the messages will be embedded in a
syslog-formatted line. Looking at Logsene's syslog example
<https://sematext.atlassian.net/wiki/display/PUBLOGSENE/Syslog#Syslog-Example>,
it seems that they expect the syslog message to contain a JSON payload with
the token as a property. If your application produces that JSON, I think it
would be compatible. However, the Loggregator system does not wrap bare
loglines into that format, nor can it be configured to do so without
rewriting code.

This is what worked for me.
1.) Modified the format of logging with my app. It needs to use this exact
format.

@cee: {"logsene-app-token": "<your-app-token>", "message":
"<your-normal-message>"}

The initial "@cee:" is important as it tells Logsene that the format will
be JSON. Without that messages won't show up in the dashboard.

2.) Configure the app to log to STDOUT or STDERR.

3.) Create a user provided service for the log drain. Here's what I used.

cf cups logsene-logs -l syslog://logsene-receiver-syslog.sematext.com:514

4.) Bind the log drain to my app and deploy the app to CF. I did this with
a "services:" entry in the manifest.yml file, but you can also do it with
the cf bind-service command.

The only drawback is that this only lets me send logging from the app. As
you mentioned, there's no way to control the format of the system logging,
so messages from the router & dea don't show up in Logsene.

Dan

- *"Do multiple apps on CF send logs from the same IP address?"* –
Yes. But it's worse than that: not only do multiple app streams come from
the same IP address, but a single application's stream can come from
multiple IP addresses. So this is probably not good from Logsene's point of
view.
- *"Is Loggregator's HTTPS transport compatible with the ElasticSearch
API?"* – No. Loggregator makes a POST request to the HTTPS endpoint by
putting a syslog-formatted line into the body of the request. It does not
have support for building an ElasticSearch-compatible JSON payload around
the message.

It appears to me that the best shot you have of compatibility with Logsene
is having your application build messages in the expected way, with JSON
wrapper (if that's truly needed; my quick read of the syslog example I
linked above was unclear). Keep in mind that Loggregator sends each *line* separately,
so your JSON payload must be a single line to be transmitted correctly.

– John Tuley

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Daniel Mikusa <dmikusa(a)pivotal.io>

I'm looking at sending logs from my app to Logsene [1] and I'm trying to
figure out if this is going to work. From their instructions it seems like
there are two possibilities: syslog & https

I'm not sure syslog will work as Logsene seems to either require a unique
token to be included in the syslog event or to have all syslog traffic from
my app come from one IP. I'm not sure that the first is possible, and the
second won't work as multiple apps on CF could send logs from the same IP
(, please correct me if I'm wrong on either point).

That leaves me with HTTPS. According to their docs, they support the
elasticsearch api [2] through which you can post events to them. It seems
to expect a JSON payload, with a standard format.

I see in the CF docs [3] that we support sending logs via HTTPS but it
doesn't really say how the information is sent via HTTPS. Does anyone know
if this will be compatible? and where I can find more information about
how we send log data via HTTPS?

[1] -
https://sematext.atlassian.net/wiki/display/PUBLOGSENE/Logsene+documentation%3A+Home
[2] -
https://sematext.atlassian.net/wiki/display/PUBLOGSENE/Index+Events+via+Elasticsearch+API
[3] -
http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/devguide/services/log-management.html#config

Re: Deploying CloudFoundry on AWS - Too many machines are being created

Flávio Henrique Schuindt da Silva <flavio.schuindt at gmail.com...>

Hi, Sabha.

I'm using cf-211 release and minimal_aws manifest.
Em 17/06/2015 18:24, "Flávio Henrique Schuindt da Silva" <
flavio.schuindt(a)gmail.com> escreveu:

Hummm, nice point, Cornelia. I agree with some statements in the text and
I think that in the final I will really use one vm per machine, but, for
now, I would like to know if is just possible to do this consolidation in a
easy way. How can I achieve ir?

Thanks!!

flavio.schuindt(a)gmail.com>:

There is no way to do this kind of thing only modifying some part oh this
official tutorial? Only using this Terraform? What should I do?

flavio.schuindt(a)gmail.com>:

I succesfully deployed CF on aws using this tutorial:
http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/deploying/ec2/aws_steps.html

But this tutorial is kind of expensive...It creates 13 machines (one for
each cf component) and each one is c3.large! I would like to create maybe,
let's say, 4 ~ 5 machines to have all CF components. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance, guys!

Re: CfSummit slides

Vanessa Heric <vheric@...>

Hi Cornelia,

For the Cloud Foundry Summit, slides should be submitted to the Cloud
Foundry Events team, events(a)cloudfoundry.org.

Thank you,
Vanessa

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Cornelia Davis <cdavis(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

So sorry to ask a lame question, even after all of this discussion - what
is the preferred way to submit slides? Email to whom? Or CFPs if still
available?

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM, C. Craig Ross <ccr(a)linuxfoundation.org>
wrote:

Hi Guillaume,

Regrettably there was some confusion and some speakers submitted them
slides via the CFP system instead of emailing them. The former is the
normal behavior for the majority of our events but the CF Summit slides
needed to be uploaded separately by our events team.

We will get your slides and the others up on the site in the next 24hrs.
Our apologies for the trouble and thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Cheers,

C.

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 6:12 PM, Guillaume Berche <bercheg(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Thank Angela for your response. I wonder whether the CFP system is
properly listing speaker submitted slides, as for example my two sessions
indeed have their slides attached to their associated proposal [1-4], and
they don't yet appear into [5].

Are there some other speakers on the cf-dev list that had their slides
posted on the cfp system and don't yet see them published onto [5] ?

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/orange_case_study_0.pdf
[2] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/5249/4719
[3]
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/adapting_cf_to_org_reqs.pdf
[4] http://events.linuxfoundation.org/cfp/proposals/5249/4721
[5] http://www.cfsummit.com/program/slides

Guillaume.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 1:42 AM, CF Events <events(a)cloudfoundry.org>
wrote:

Hello Guillaume,

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 5:09 AM, Guillaume Berche <bercheg(a)gmail.com>

Thanks again to the CF Foundation for the great cf summit, and for
publishing so promptly the video recordings on youtube. The sessions
content is great to watch, and I'm sometimes lacking the high resolution
slides display, and ability to use the slides as a reference.

There is currently 12 slide decks onto [1] over the 38 sessions
presented. Is there somewhere else they can be accessed, or any way for the
foundation to publish the ones speakers have already posted on the CFP
system ?
I will double check with our content manager, but typically if slides
are missing it is because the speakers did not share the with us. If we do
still have some that have not been posted, I'll make sure that happens by
Monday.

Thank you,

Angela

[1] http://www.cfsummit.com/program/slides

--
Cloud Foundry Summit Events Team
Cloud Foundry Foundation

--
C. Craig Ross
Director of Creative Services & Developer Programs

Vanessa Heric
Event Services Manager
The Linux Foundation
660 York Street, Suite 102
San Francisco, CA 94110
T: +1.760.522.6151
E: vheric(a)linuxfoundation.org
W: linuxfoundation.org and events.linuxfoundation.org

The Linux Foundation Event Experience : http://youtu.be/-WUeelICQ2U

Re: Deploying CloudFoundry on AWS - Too many machines are being created

Sabha

As the blog post explained, its possible at higher cost (due to bigger vms),
as well as scalability for different components...

If you want to collocate some jobs to shrink the # of vms, you would need to
modify the vm sizes (cpu/ram/disk) as well as lots of job related references
(like nats or loggregator or others to avoid port/property conflicts). Its
manual and error-prone process.
What version of cf-release/manifest you are using/testing?

-Sabha

flavio.schuindt(a)gmail.com>:

I succesfully deployed CF on aws using this tutorial:
http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/deploying/ec2/aws_steps.html

But this tutorial is kind of expensive...It creates 13 machines (one for
each cf component) and each one is c3.large! I would like to create maybe,
let's say, 4 ~ 5 machines to have all CF components. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance, guys!

Re: Deploying CloudFoundry on AWS - Too many machines are being created

Cornelia Davis <cdavis@...>

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 1:21 PM, Josh Ghiloni <jghiloni(a)ecsteam.com> wrote:

Look into using Terraform … they have a cf-aws-tiny release that only
creates 4 or 5VMs (smaller than c3.large) plus DEAs.

Josh Ghiloni
Senior Consultant
303.932.2202 o | 303.590.5427 m | 303.565.2794 f
jghiloni(a)ecsteam.com

ECS Team
Technology Solutions Delivered
ECSTeam.com