Date

Re: loggregator tc repeating error "websocket: close 1005"

Erik Jasiak <ejasiak@...>

Hi Gianluca,

First: using the categories you described, this message is more of a
warning than an error - there should be no impact to your installation.

That said, it still shouldn't be happening. We will investigate further
why we are not providing a status before websocket closing. I'm creating a
chore to investigate further, and any additional info you could provide
would be great.

Thanks,
Erik

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 8:07 AM, Gianluca Volpe <gvolpe1968(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

hi all

I'm having a long list of errors in loggregator_tc stdout log file, saying
:

{"timestamp":1433153574.809743166,"process_id":13854,"source":"loggregator
trafficcontroller","log_level":"error","message":"WebsocketListener.Start:
Error connecting to ws://
198.11.228.56:8081/apps/71725662-41b5-4b1f-a37f-da28b47ece75/stream:
websocket: close 1005
","data":null,"file":"/var/vcap/data/compile/loggregator_trafficcontroller/loggregator/src/trafficcontroller/listener/websocket_listen
er.go","line":73,"method":"trafficcontroller/listener.(*websocketListener).listenWithTimeout"}

found the source code responsible for the message:

https://github.com/gorilla/websocket/blob/master/conn.go
called from

https://github.com/cloudfoundry/loggregator/blob/develop/src/trafficcontroller/listener/websocket_listener.go

understood that 1005 is an error reporting to a connection being closed
missing the status information (as of RFC 6455, section 11.7)

// Close codes defined in RFC 6455, section 11.7.
const (
CloseNormalClosure = 1000
CloseGoingAway = 1001
CloseProtocolError = 1002
CloseUnsupportedData = 1003
CloseNoStatusReceived = 1005
CloseAbnormalClosure = 1006
CloseInvalidFramePayloadData = 1007
ClosePolicyViolation = 1008
CloseMessageTooBig = 1009
CloseMandatoryExtension = 1010
CloseInternalServerErr = 1011
CloseTLSHandshake = 1015
)

Each time a log is requested, this error is repeated for many of the
dopplers behind the traffic_controller (but rarely also for all of those),
and I'm still not able to understand if this should be a blocking error or
a sort of warning (I'm not receiving complaints from the users) due to
firehose connection method, but I need to know what is happening and how to
prevent any problem.

thx
GV

Re: Is the Collector already deprecated?

Erik Jasiak <ejasiak@...>

Hi MinhND,

The collector is not deprecated yet - where are you seeing this
property configured?

I found the minimal example AWS yml in release 210, where we have it
set to one I believe [1].

Thanks,
Erik

[1]
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cf-release/blob/v210/example_manifests/minimal-aws.yml#L241-L250

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 8:44 PM, Nguyen Dang Minh <nguyendangminh(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi guys,

I've just upgraded to the CF 210 and see that the Collector is removed
(instance = 0). Is the Collector officially deprecated? I don't see any
notice in the CF release note.

If it is true, how could I get the DEA metrics now? It seems that the DEA
doesn't send metrics to Doppler at all.

Best regards,
MinhND

Re: Service Broker API - updating instances

Mike Heath

Shannon,

The polling API in the the Asynchronous Operations documentation suffers
from the same problem. Perhaps the .../last_operation request could include
a service_id query parameter?

Thanks,

-Mike

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 5:33 PM, Shannon Coen <scoen(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Hello Mike,

Quite reasonable. I'll put a story in the backlog.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 2:15 PM, Mike Heath <elcapo(a)gmail.com> wrote:

One of the really nice features of the V2 Service Broker API is the
ability to broker multiple services from a single process. Each service
provides its unique id in the broker catalog. The Cloud Controller then
includes that unique id with requests to the broker making it easy for the
broker to route the request to the correct service.

The problem I'm currently having is that the API added in version 2.4 for
updating a service instances does not include the service's unique id [1].
It only provides the service instance's id and the new plan id. This makes
it very difficult to route the update request to the correct service
provider within a process brokering multiple services as it would require
querying each service provider to determine if it brokered the provided
instance.

I would like to propose adding a service_id field to the update request,
the same as every other request in the service broker API. I believe that
the main issue with this is that it implies that an instance's service
provider could be changed by the broker. I think proper documentation would
alleviate that issue though.

Thoughts?

-Mike

1 -
http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/services/api.html#updating_service_instance

loggregator tc repeating error "websocket: close 1005"

Gianluca Volpe <gvolpe1968@...>

[...]

Nguyen Dang Minh

Hi guys,

I've just upgraded to the CF 210 and see that the Collector is removed
(instance = 0). Is the Collector officially deprecated? I don't see any
notice in the CF release note.

If it is true, how could I get the DEA metrics now? It seems that the DEA
doesn't send metrics to Doppler at all.

Best regards,
MinhND

manifest files and the Java client

Azad Bolour

Thanks for clarifying this, Scott. There are still a few properties in the manifest file that I am not sure about: no-hostname, random-route, no-route.

On first reading I don’t see these in the maven plugin. But clearly the maven plugin was what I was looking for.

Thanks again.

Azad

-------------

Azad,

You are correct, the Java client does not support creating an application
based on the data in manifest.yml.

With the cf CLI and manifest.yml, you specify the host(s) (i.e. subdomain)
and domain(s) separately, and these are combined into one ore more routes.
So with a host of "myapp" and a domain of "apps.mycf.org", the full route
would be "myapp.apps.mycf.org". With the Java client, each route (host +
domain) is provided in absolute form in the "List<String> uris" parameter
of the "createApplication()" method. To match the CLI example, you would
specify one "uri" String with the value "myapp.apps.mycf.org". The domain
part of the uri must be a valid domain in your CF deployment (you can see
the list with "cf domains").

The best sample code for the Java client is the Maven and Gradle plugins
there are in the same GitHub repository.
The Maven plugin is here:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cf-java-client/tree/master/cloudfoundry-maven-plugin
.
The code in the Maven plugin that creates an application, uploads the bits,
and waits for the app to start is here:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cf-java-client/blob/master/cloudfoundry-maven-plugin/src/main/java/org/cloudfoundry/maven/AbstractPush.java

Scott

From: <Bolour>, GE Global Research <Azad>, GE <Azad.Bolour(a)ge.com<mailto:Azad.Bolour(a)ge.com>>
Date: Friday, June 19, 2015 at 10:05 AM
To: "cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org<mailto:cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>" <cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org<mailto:cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>>
Cc: "Vydra, David (GE Global Research)" <david.vydra(a)ge.com<mailto:david.vydra(a)ge.com>>
Subject: manifest files and the Java client

Hi,

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I can tell, the cloud foundry Java API does not directly support the creation of an application based on the the manifest file as defined in:

http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/devguide/deploy-apps/manifest.html

My reading of the code is that the implementation of the create application function in the Java client boils down to the createApplication method of the class CloudControllerClientImpl:

public void createApplication(
String appName, Staging staging, Integer disk, Integer memory,
List<String> uris, List<String> serviceNames)

But the uris parameters does not appear in the manifest specification.

How should I define the uris parameter in terms of the fields in the manifest? Is there sample code somewhere that would clue me into how to do this?

Many thanks.

Azad

Re: manifest files and the Java client

Scott Frederick <scottyfred@...>

[...]

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Bolour, Azad (GE Global Research,
consultant) <Azad.Bolour(a)ge.com> wrote:

[...]

Re: Need for machine-readable Application Interface

CF Runtime

Hey Deepak,

We are talking only about the Cloud Controller API. Those APIs would be
available to all developers. We're not sure what you are looking for beyond
that.

Joseph & Zak
CF Runtime Team

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 10:27 AM, Deepak Vij (A) <deepak.vij(a)huawei.com>
wrote:

Hi Zak and Joseph, thanks for your response. Would this capability be
available only for Cloud Controller API or for rest of the platform API set
as well? Also, would the same capability be available for end application
developers (PaaS developers) so that the same application interface
metadata is generated across the board within CF PaaS environment - that
was my key goal for this discussion (something like JSON Schema for Heroku).

As I mentioned earlier that having a standardized application interface
such as WADL/JSON/Swagger/RAML allows us to enforce Deployment Governance
at the time of deploying applications within Cloud Foundry. In order to be
able to expose business capabilities such as Telecom APIs, Deployment
Governance (i.e. API Versioning & Backward Compatibility, Dependency
Management, and other API Policy Validations etc.) is very important
requirement not just for telecom industry but for any industry planning to
monetize their APIs created within CF PaaS environment. Thanks.

Regards,
Deepak Vij

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 15:04:53 -0700
From: CF Runtime <cfruntime(a)gmail.com>
To: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall."
<cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>
Subject: Re: [cf-dev] Need for machine-readable ?Application
Interface?

It is something we are thinking about for the V3 cloud controller API, but
no formal decisions have been made at this point. So feedback and
suggestions are certainly welcome.

Zak and Joseph
CF Runtime Team

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 2:51 PM, Deepak Vij (A) <deepak.vij(a)huawei.com>
wrote:

Hi folks, I would like to start a thread on the need for
machine-readable ?*Application Interface*? supported at the platform
level. Essentially, this interface describes details such as available
methods/operations, inputs/outputs data types (schema), application
dependencies etc. Any standard specifications language can be used for
this purpose, as long as it clearly describes the schema of the requests
and responses ? one can use Web Application Description Language (WADL),
Swagger, RESTful API Modeling Language (RAML), JSON Schema (something
like *JSON
Schema for Heroku Platform APIs*) or any other language that provides
similar functionality. These specifications are to be automatically
derived
from the code and are typically part of the application development
process
(e.g. generated by the build system).

Such functionality can have lots of usage scenarios:

1. First and foremost, Deployment Governance for API Management
(our
main vested interest) ? API Versioning & Backward Compatibility,
Dependency Management and many more as part of the comprehensive telecom
API Management capabilities which we are currently in the process of
building out.

2. Auto-creating client libraries for your favorite programming
language.

3. Automatic generation of up-to-date documentation.

4. Writing automatic acceptance and integration tests etc.

From historical perspective, in the early 2000s when SOA started out, the
mindset was to author the application contract-first (application
interface
using WSDL at that time) and subsequently generate and author code from
the
application interface. With the advent of RESTful services, REST
community
initially took a stand against such metadata for applications. Although,
number of metadata standards have none-the-less emerged over the last
couple of years, mainly fueled by the use case scenarios described
earlier.

Based on my knowledge, none of this currently exists within Cloud Foundry
at the platform level. It would be highly desirable to have a standard
common ?*application interface*? definition at the platform level,
agnostic of the underlying application development frameworks.

I hope this all makes sense. I think this is something could be very
relevant to the ?Utilities? PMC. I will also copy&paste this text under
?Utilities? PMC-notes on the github.

I would love to hear from the community on this. Thanks.

Regards,

Deepak Vij

[...]

Re: [bosh-dev] Blog Post

Leandro David Cacciagioni

I'll be creating a new blog post with the new method this week...

El jue, jun 18, 2015 18:48, Koper, Dies <diesk(a)fast.au.fujitsu.com>
escribió:

Nice blog!

You use “the old good CLI” to deploy MicroBOSH, the bosh_cli_plugin_micro
that is going to be deprecated any moment now.

Why not use bosh-init?

From: Corentin Dupont <corentin.dupont(a)create-net.org>
Date: Mon, May 25, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Subject: scheduler
To: cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org

Hi guys,
just to know, is there a project to add a job scheduler in Cloud
Foundry?
I'm thinking of something like the Heroku scheduler (
https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/scheduler).
That would be very neat to have regular tasks triggered...
Thanks,
Corentin

--

Corentin Dupont
Researcher @ Create-Netwww.corentindupont.info

Corentin Dupont
Researcher @ Create-Netwww.corentindupont.info

Sign up the Dojo program

Layne Peng

Hi,

I am not sure if this maillist the right place to ask about Dojo program, but I cannot find any information about how to sign up the program in internet.

I am from EMC China R&D, there three persons want to attend the Dojo program in Pivotal Labs. Can anyone give us some hint?

- Layne

CF CLI config.json File Org Quota Data Question

Greg Oehmen

Currently the config.json file includes information about the targeted
environment. For an org that set of information includes the org quota:

"OrganizationFields": {
"Guid": "588ea1fb-bdd0-459d-9004-b2df28637649",
"Name": "pivot-goehmen",
"QuotaDefinition": {
"name": "",
"memory_limit": 0,
"instance_memory_limit": 0,
"total_routes": 0,
"total_services": 0,
"non_basic_services_allowed": false
}
},

Is anyone keying off the QuotaDefinition data in the config.json file? I'd
like to remove it since once a user targets an env and config.json is
populated, an admin can then update the quota and config.json file contains
stale info.

Thanks

The CLI Team

Re: [bosh-dev] Blog Post

Koper, Dies <diesk@...>

Nice blog!
You use “the old good CLI” to deploy MicroBOSH, the bosh_cli_plugin_micro that is going to be deprecated any moment now.
Why not use bosh-init?

Hi guys, I have created a simple blog post about MicroBOSH with external components, any feedback about it will be great and I'll really appreciate for taking your time to read it.

Here is the link: http://wp.me/p5G2dP-1S

Thanks,
Leandro.-
--
This mailing list is for closed, and is available for archival purposes only. For active discussion, please visit https://lists.cloudfoundry.org/mailman/listinfo/cf-bosh or email cf-bosh(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org<mailto:cf-bosh(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>.

Blog Post

Leandro David Cacciagioni

Hi guys, I have created a simple blog post about MicroBOSH with external
components, any feedback about it will be great and I'll really appreciate
for taking your time to read it.

Here is the link: http://wp.me/p5G2dP-1S

Thanks,
Leandro.-

Re: cf-dev Digest, Vol 3, Issue 92

Casey West

From: Sandy Cash Jr <lhcash(a)us.ibm.com>
Reply: Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall. <cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>>
Date: June 18, 2015 at 15:00:50
To: cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org <cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>>
Subject:  Re: [cf-dev] cf-dev Digest, Vol 3, Issue 92

Since sendmail appears to be missing from the CF stemcell, how are
people sending email from PHP apps?

Thanks,
matt
I am not a PHP guy at all, and I don't know if this is part of the PHP buildback, but PEAR::mail (http://pear.php.net/package/Mail) appears to support remote STMP hosts, which would obviate the need for a local sendmail binary.
I’m also not a PHP developer, however your suggestion is in line with cloud-native application development. That is to say, “treat backing services as attached resources”.

Typically when requiring a backing service, such as outbound email, you use a third-party service. This could be a direct SMTP interaction to, say, gmail, or it could be via an API such as SendGrid. I’m not advocating a particular service, that requires research into your app’s needs, but the general approach is advised.

— Casey

Cloud Foundry Eclipse 1.8.3 released

Nieraj Singh

We have released Cloud Foundry Eclipse 1.8.3.

It is now available from this Eclipse installation site:

http://download.springsource.com/release/TOOLS/cloudfoundry

This URL should be used in Help -> Install New Software in
Eclipse/Spring Tool Suite (STS)
if doing a manual update or installation.

Further installation instructions are here:

http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/buildpacks/java/sts.html#install

The upcoming STS 3.7.0 will also include Cloud Foundry Eclipse 1.8.3.

Changes include:

- Better support for Spring Boot applications in STS. Spring Boot
projects can now be deployed to
Cloud Foundry by drag and drop or Run on Server without any additional
manual configuration.
The manual "Configure -> Enable As Cloud Foundry App" is no longer required.

- Fix for jar files in manifest.yml "path" where old jars were always
pushed: updated jars are now pushed.

- Fixed issue where war files in manifest.yml "path" were not pushed.

- New feature to detect if user is using an older JRE in Eclipse and
prompt user to use Java 7, which is a
minimum requirement to install and run Cloud Foundry Eclipse.

- Better handling of cancelled application deployment operations.

- Fixed issue with "Close Console" button appearing in non-CF console toolbars.

- "Map/Unmap Project" feature for linking a deployed application to a
workspace project is now
"Link with Project/Unlink Project" and includes a fix for application
refresh after the link operation is completed.

- Various improvements and bug fixes for server instance creation,
service deletion, deleting applications,
and Servers view application labels.

Please raise any issues here:

https://github.com/cloudfoundry/eclipse-integration-cloudfoundry

Re: cf-dev Digest, Vol 3, Issue 92

Sandy Cash Jr <lhcash@...>

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 15:41:25 +0000
From: "Curry, Matthew" <Matt.Curry(a)allstate.com>
To: "cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org" <cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>
Subject: [cf-dev] PHP Buildpack and email

Since sendmail appears to be missing from the CF stemcell, how are
people sending email from PHP apps?

Thanks,
matt
I am not a PHP guy at all, and I don't know if this is part of the PHP
buildback, but PEAR::mail (http://pear.php.net/package/Mail) appears to
support remote STMP hosts, which would obviate the need for a local
sendmail binary.

-Sandy

--
Sandy Cash
Certified Senior IT Architect/Senior SW Engineer

"I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been.” -
Wayne Gretzky

Re: PHP Buildpack and email

Nicholas Calugar

Hi Matthew,

You could use something like Zend\Mail and the Zend\Mail\Transport\Smtp, an
SMTP implementation in PHP.

http://framework.zend.com/manual/current/en/modules/zend.mail.introduction.html
http://framework.zend.com/manual/current/en/modules/zend.mail.transport.html#zend-mail-transport-quick-start-smtp-usage

Nicholas Calugar