Date

Re: Application placement pools (the stack hack)

Cory Jett

Saw your talk yesterday...this is a very clever idea and one we will be investigating for sure. Thanks for sharing!

Re: DEA Monitoring Capabilities

Michael Fraenkel <michael.fraenkel@...>

The apiserver, listener, shredder, analyzer all produce standard Go
metrics which really don't tell you much as to the "health" of hm9000
other than the processes are up. The metrics that are reported tell you
the health of your system. If the metrics are not be reported or just
look wrong, that is really when you know the "health" needs further
investigation. In most cases, you will need to examine the logs to
determine next steps.

The listener reports ReceivedHeartbeats and SavedHeartbeats. These will
at least tell you that the listener process is receiving hearbeats and
processing them. I have opened a bug on the values reported since they
are not reporting the last known value but an increasing amount.

The analyzer will report all metrics regarding the state of the expected
applications that should be running including instance counts as well as
what is actually running or missing, etc...

- Michael

On 5/23/16 7:57 AM, Chawki, Amin wrote:

/-What information were you trying to understand from mem_used_bytes?/

We used mem_used_bytes and mem_free_bytes (currently metrics from
bosh) to get an overview over the real overall memory usage of all
apps as an approximation. This helps us to get a better understanding
of the current overcommit factor.

/-As far as the healthy metric from HM9000, it was quite misleading.
It reported healthy as long as the metrics server was running which
wasn't any indication of health. What exactly do you want to know?/

//

Ah ok, I was not aware of that. Is there any reliable way to verify
whether HM9000 is healthy?

Best Regards and Thanks,

Amin

*From: *Michael Fraenkel <michael.fraenkel(a)gmail.com>
*Date: *Monday 23 May 2016 at 13:17
*To: *"Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system
overall." <cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>
*Subject: *[cf-dev] Re: DEA Monitoring Capabilities

When 234 was released, we did not realize that Collector was
creating additional metrics. Based on reports, we have added back
any missing metrics that people felt were needed. Let me know if
we still have missing metrics as you move beyond 234.

In 234, while we did not report available_memory_ratio, we do
report remaining_memory. If your DEAs have the same amount of
memory, the ratio can be computed or you can use the current value
directly.

What information were you trying to understand from mem_used_bytes?

As far as the healthy metric from HM9000, it was quite misleading.
It reported healthy as long as the metrics server was running
which wasn't any indication of health. What exactly do you want to
know?

- Michael

On 5/20/16 4:41 AM, Chawki, Amin wrote:

Hi,

by upgrading to CF v234 (including pre-release v232) we lost
all our monitoring capabilities regarding DEA and HM9000 (we
were still using Collector). By migrating to Firehose only a
fraction of the metrics was available. Very important metrics
for our productive systems like ‘available_memory_ratio’ were
just added in CF v235. In the meantime, we were pretty much
“flying blind”.

We replaced not existing metrics like ‘DEA…mem_used_bytes’ and
‘HM9000…healthy’, which were available via Collector, with
metrics from Bosh. Is this the way to go or are there any
plans to add them again?

Best Regards,

Amin

Re: bits-service fog usage question

Koper, Dies <diesk@...>

Hi Simon,

We use OpenStack Swift with Keystone v3 and a non-default domain. I'd just like to confirm you're planning to support that configuration too?

Fujitsu

From: Simon D Moser/Germany/IBM(a)IBMDE
Date: 03/02/2016 11:51
Subject: [cf-dev] bits-service fog usage question
________________________________

Hi everybody,

we are beginning work on the Bits Service proposed here [1] for handling all kinds of blobstore related operations - a functionality that is in the cloud controller today. Cloud controller currently uses the ruby gem 'fog' [2] for interactions with the back-end blobstore.
We are thinking about removing the dependency on the ruby fog gem and would like to better understand what blobstores and configurations you, in the community, are using today. Unfortunately, the fact that this gem is used leaks out to the cc configuration [3] by taking an opaque fog hash, and therefore it could potentially be used in many ways.

We would like to get feedback on whether it would be fine if the new bits service only supported s3 compatible blobstores, externally provided nfs, and webdav (and no longer everything that fog potentially supports).
Would you be impacted by such a decision, and how?
What connection parameters/features of fog do you currently make use of?

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kIjBuJJ0ZiJRPzMJW8dtce26jhAHbK7KotY9416YMEI/edit?usp=sharing
[2] https://github.com/fog/fog
[3] https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cf-release/blob/master/jobs/cloud_controller_ng/spec#L250-L251

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Simon Moser

Senior Technical Staff Member / IBM Master Inventor
Bluemix Application Platform Lead Architect
Dept. C727, IBM Research & Development Boeblingen

IBM Deutschland
Schoenaicher Str. 220
71032 Boeblingen
Phone: +49-7031-16-4304
Fax: +49-7031-16-4890
E-Mail: smoser(a)de.ibm.com<mailto:smoser(a)de.ibm.com>
IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH / Vorsitzender des
Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht
Stuttgart, HRB 243294

**
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt

CF CLI v6.18.1 Released Today

Koper, Dies <diesk@...>

The CF CLI team just cut 6.18.1. Binaries and link to release notes are available at:

https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cli#downloads

I have met some of you at the CF Summit in Santa Clara this week. Thank you for your feedback!

Half of the CLI team members are at the Summit this week.
Tomorrow (Wednesday) we hold CLI Project Office Hours at 16:30 in the Margaret Atwood Lounge of The Foundry. Please drop by and let us put faces to each other's names!
Also note the talk on CLI plugins from former CLI team members Simon and Jonathan tomorrow at 14:10 in the Grand Ballroom GH.
https://cfsummit2016.sched.org/event/6Zlt/cli-plugin-to-enhance-your-cloud-simon-leunhellip

Updated Translations

IBM contributed updated translations for all supported locales.

Windows 64 bit Installer

The Windows 64 bit installer now defaults to "C:\Program Files\Cloud Foundry", instead of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cloud Foundry" where 32 bit applications belong.

Updated Commands

* orgs now lists organizations in alphabetical order
* login now lists organizations and spaces in alphabetical order
* spaces now lists organizations in alphabetical order
* bind-route-service no longer prompts for confirmation ('-f' option is still accepted but removed from help text)
* enable-service-access and disable-service-access now perform faster (#819<https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cli/issues/819>)
* service now displays apps that are bound to the service
* install-plugin now displays the plugin binary name correctly
* marketplace now displays its option correctly in usage help text
* events now displays the 'actor' if the 'actor_name' field is not available
* quotas now displays 'unlimited' instead of '-1' for routes

Updated Plugins:

* Scaleover v1.0.4: https://github.com/krujos/scaleover-plugin
* Firehose Plugin v0.9.0: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/firehose-plugin

Enjoy!

Cloud Foundry CLI PM

Re: Discussion around Autoscaling issues related to Cloudfoundry (private cloud) on vMware vSphere

Gwenn Etourneau

Maybe you should contact the pivotal support.

https://support.pivotal.io/

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Subhabrata Sarkar <subha(a)sarkars.info>
wrote:

Hi I am deploying Cloudfoundry on vSphere, I am getting some issues
configuring PCF autoscalling using DEA.
Has anybody encountered this issue ever ? If so can anybody please share ?

Regards,
Subhabrata

Application placement pools (the stack hack)

Carlo Alberto Ferraris

We're currently in the middle of the CF summit and during our presentation about the 5 years of Cloud Foundry in Rakuten we shared how we (ab)use the stack mechanism to provide application placement pools. Our presentation however was a whirlwind tour of 5 years of history, so we couldn't go into much details about this.

Luckily I talked about this into more details a while back at the first CF Tokyo meetup. While we don't have recorded the talk, the slides are online at http://slides.com/cafxx/the-stack-hack. Some of the people that I met here in Santa Clara were very interested in knowing more and never heard of that presentation so I thought that sharing it here would help more people find it.

I will be around the CF summit until tomorrow afternoon, if you have any questions feel free to catch up with me to talk.

Carlo

Discussion around Autoscaling issues related to Cloudfoundry (private cloud) on vMware vSphere

Subhabrata Sarkar

Hi I am deploying Cloudfoundry on vSphere, I am getting some issues configuring PCF autoscalling using DEA.
Has anybody encountered this issue ever ? If so can anybody please share ?

Regards,
Subhabrata

Re: can we install ruby gems in existing cf stacks (cflinuxfs2) without recreate stack

Daniel Mikusa

Ah, gotcha. +1 to that.

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 3:39 PM, DHR <lists(a)dhrapson.com> wrote:

Agree on all counts. We've already suggested vendoring the gems inside the
buildpack to ensure they're there on the staging container.
I'm now suggesting that the bin scripts just can't find the gems, so
Lingesh could try using Gem.paths list the gem locations that the bin
scripts have got access to & ensure the vendored gems are on the path.

Hope it makes sense

On 24 May 2016, at 20:25, Daniel Mikusa <dmikusa(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

It's not an issue of pointing to the gems. The build pack runs (staging)
in it's own container. The container is completely isolated from the DEA
or Diego Cell where it's running. You can't access resources that you've
installed on the DEA from inside the container. Anything the build pack
needs should be packaged with it. That's the only way to guarantee it will
be available when the build pack runs.

The only exception is if you can guarantee that your build pack will only
run when the Internet is available. In that case, you could download
additional dependencies. That's not a good assumption to make though as a
lot of people run without the Internet or behind aggressive firewalls that
block the Internet.

Dan

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 2:05 PM, DHR <lists(a)dhrapson.com> wrote:

So I think your problem is that your gems are on the DEA at staging time
but aren't being found by the Ruby layer, right?
If so the normal approach is to point to them via an env Var (eg
BUNDLE_PATH, GEM_PATH), however your compile, detect, release scripts are
already in Ruby (not bash) so perhaps you could load them using Gem.paths.
Example on

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28764389/set-gem-home-path-or-gem-path-programmatically

On 24 May 2016, at 18:08, Lingesh Mouleeshwaran <
lingeshmouleeshwaran(a)gmail.com> wrote:

not an issue .Thanks Dan !!!

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Daniel Mikusa <dmikusa(a)pivotal.io>
wrote:

OK, my fault. I misunderstood what you're trying to do here. I was
thinking that your application needed the gems, but it's your build pack
that needs them.

You originally said...

*Example :* Our modified java buildpack not running on existing stacks
because of few of the ruby gems are missing in the file system. so we would
require to install few ruby gem and use the modified java buildpack.

If the build pack needs additional gems then you would want to pack the
gems with the build pack. I'm not sure what the best way to do this would
be, I'm sure someone with more ruby experience can say. Ideas that come to
mind: add it as a git submodule, vendor it (seems like what you're doing),
maybe just copy the src in if it's small.

Basically the build pack needs to be self contained (especially so that
it works in offline environments). Anything it needs, should be included
with the build pack.

Dan

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 1:37 AM, Lingesh Mouleeshwaran <
lingeshmouleeshwaran(a)gmail.com> wrote:

yes Dan,

we have used below commands to package the buildpack .

bundle install
bundle exec rake package version=custom-java-buildpack

after that we will take the zip and create a offline buildpack using cf
cli.

Regards
Lingesh M

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 7:16 PM, Daniel Mikusa <dmikusa(a)pivotal.io>
wrote:

You need to bundle install the gem in the staging container. The
build pack would generally do this.

Dan

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Lingesh Mouleeshwaran <
lingeshmouleeshwaran(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Dan ,

yes I have installed the require gem via *bundle install* to specify
the path of vendor staging directories which is available in below paths

/var/vcap/data/packages/dea_next/* /vendor/cache
/var/vcap/data/packages/warden/*/vendor/cache

using buildpack Gemfile.

Still I am not seeing these require gem is available in staging
container. So staging container during compile phase.

Regards
Lingesh M

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 5:35 PM, Daniel Mikusa <dmikusa(a)pivotal.io>
wrote:

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 3:41 AM, Lingesh Mouleeshwaran <
lingeshmouleeshwaran(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks DHR and Sunil ,

@ DHR , I have followed your way to install the gem on staging
directory , but it doesn't help. is this same way followed by existing
cloudfoundry java buildpack ??
This is the way you should be doing it. What about this doesn't
help / work for you?

Dan

@ Sunil ,

Please could you elaborate more on your approach , I coudn't get
your suggestion.

Regards
Lingesh M

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 7:56 AM, Sunil Babu <
cloudgrp.assist(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

Enable cloning with repo an make auto update enabled this there is
no need to install

On Thursday, May 19, 2016, Lingesh Mouleeshwaran <
lingeshmouleeshwaran(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Cloudfoundry ,

Is there any simple way, we can update or install new libraries
in existing cf stacks (cflinuxf2) without creating new custom stacks ??

*Example :* Our modified java buildpack not running on existing
stacks because of few of the ruby gems are missing in the file system. so
we would require to install few ruby gem and use the modified java
buildpack.

Share your thoughts and suggestions.

Regards
Lingesh M

--
Thanks & Regards
Sunil Babu K C

Re: can we install ruby gems in existing cf stacks (cflinuxfs2) without recreate stack

DHR

wrote:

[...]

Lingesh Mouleeshwaran

Thanks DHR Team. Yes your correct like the required gem is not available in
staging container stack. but these stacks are pre packaged in cf release.
Not sure how we can do this Gem.path update for all DEA's . Let me try it
out !!.

Regards
Lingesh M

wrote:

[...]

Re: can we externalize pivotal repository path in java buildpack??

Lingesh Mouleeshwaran

Thanks a lot DHR team.. Let us try out this approach .

Regards
Lingesh M

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 11:25 PM, DHR <lists(a)dhrapson.com> wrote:

You could change the config/repository.yml to point to a DNS name on your
network. Then build out one or more local repositories on your network
using the Java-buildpack-dependency-builder:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/java-buildpack-dependency-builder

And then alias that DNS onto your server(s).

On 24 May 2016, at 18:25, Lingesh Mouleeshwaran <
lingeshmouleeshwaran(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Cloudfoundry ,

In java-buildpack ,*https://download.run.pivotal.io
<https://download.run.pivotal.io> *URL is used for
default_repository_root for all binaries , but this URL may not be
accessible or very slow in china network. Please can somebody suggest like
how can we externalize this repository path so that one buildpack can
switch to multiple repositories.

Regards,
Lingesh M

[...]

On 24 May 2016, at 18:25, Lingesh Mouleeshwaran <lingeshmouleeshwaran(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Cloudfoundry ,

In java-buildpack ,https://download.run.pivotal.io URL is used for

wrote:

[...]

Re: All-In-One Virtual Machine for CF

Gwenn Etourneau

You can take a look at https://github.com/pivotal-cf/pcfdev.

Thanks

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 4:07 AM, Francesco D'Andria <fradandria(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi all, sorry in advance of the maybe naif question.
I was wondering if I could find somewhere an all-In-One Virtual Machine
with the last version of CF like openshift origin.
thank you in advance and regards
Francesco

wrote:

[...]

Francesco D'Andria

[...]