Date

Re: [abacus] Handling Notifications

Benjamin Cheng

Yes, that's why I was suggesting one doc per registration keyed by trigger criteria.
After some further thought, my original suggestion doesn't seem to make much sense since it would mean every single document would have to be fetched for every event to see if that particular URL matches the event.

I thought a bit more about this. We could set a timeout (using our circuit breaker module for example) causing slow Webhooks to error and then get handled like other errors.
I think this is a good approach.

Right, so I'd vote for a separate service initially for a cleaner separation of concerns, and we can always merge it back in later if we want.
Agreed.

I was thinking about a kind of 'cursor' mechanism or something along the lines of what CF app events provide, where you can request notifications from a sequence number, a timestamp, or a page number for example... That cursor mechanism will be handy too when you'll want to replay missed notifications after a failure. Makes sense?
Yeah, that makes sense now. That kind of functionality will probably be necessary since the service would probably will run into errors on occasion when processing, and it'll need a way to keep track of where it last left off.

Also, we ended up discussing a little bit on the high level on how to do the matching algorithm, so I'll relay it here. With the many algorithms already out there, we'll be using one similar to the tree-based approaches for matching. Here's a high-level overview:

Each tree will (at the moment) be scoped to an organization. Each node of the tree is a predicate (ie: quantity > 10) to compare the event against. An event in this case will be the usage report.

The event starts at the root of the tree. Each branch is a predicate. The event traverses down the branch where the predicate evaluates true. Eventually, the algorithm can reach a leaf node. This leaf node will be a table sorted by its keys. Each entry in this table will be a subscribtion URL. The table being sorted would allow the algorithm to grab the range of URLs to notify rather than having to check each and every subscriber in the node.
ie: A wants to be notified on quantity > 5. B wants to be notified on quantity > 10. An event with quantity = 14 comes in. The algorithm should be able to just check B and grab both A & B to be notified.

Thoughts? Comments?

Re: Made a PHP 7 enabled buildpack

Christian Stocker <me@...>

Hi JT

That's right, as all extensions have to be adapted to PHP 7, many
non-core extensions are not ready yet, but I didn't check thoroughly
currently. We have a fairly big symfony based application, which runs
fine on our build pack, but we depend on not so many extensions, just
imagick from non-core and that's available for PHP 7 already

Here's the Dockerfile I needed to create the binaries

https://gist.github.com/chregu/0be89b4e88f2c3db202c

Looking forward to official PHP 7 support, but I can imagine that will
be a lot of work with all those extensions you support

christian

We have a fairly big symfony based application

On 19.11.15 22:22, JT Archie wrote:
Hi, Christian. I'm from the buildpacks team.

Last time we investigated PHP7, we ran into the same issue, no
extensions besides core work with PHP7. When we investigated, it
appeared to be a chicken and egg problem. Most of the extensions said
they wouldn't update till PHP7 officially dropped.

Can people deploy their apps with just core PHP7?

We are also awaiting final release before we add it to the buildpack.
This is RC7, so hopefully we are close.

Please keep us up to date though on anything you find.

Kind Regards,

JT

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 2:57 PM, Christian Stocker <me(a)chregu.tv
<mailto:me(a)chregu.tv>> wrote:

Hi all

Today I added PHP 7.0.0RC7 to my php buildpack fork. In case you're
interested in testing PHP 7.0 on CloudFoundry today, just add
"https://github.com/chregu/cf-php-varnish-buildpack#php-7" as a
buildpack.

It doesn't have many extensions outside the standard ones (acutally
just one, imagick), is not very well tested and also includes my
varnish extension (but that's not enabled, if you don't change any
setting). Apart from that it's like the standard php-buildpack and
should be quite up-to-date with merges from that.

Feel free to do whatever you want with it (and I'm sure, the
official maintainers will soon add official PHP 7.0 support)

Greetings

Christian

--
Liip AG // Limmatstrasse 183 // CH-8005 Zurich
Tel +41 43 500 39 81 // Mobile +41 76 561 88 60

Re: Made a PHP 7 enabled buildpack

JT Archie <jarchie@...>

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 2:57 PM, Christian Stocker <me(a)chregu.tv> wrote:

[...]

Re: service binding and logging

Rohit Kumar

1. Can we connect/bind services running inside my premise to the apps
which are running on PCF which is on AWS ?

I would imagine that would only be possible if your on-premises services
have a publicly accessible endpoint.

2. Also for application logging and debugging what is the best approach
in CF?

We have quite a bit of documentation on how to use the logging system
(loggregator) in CF:
https://docs.pivotal.io/pivotalcf/devguide/deploy-apps/streaming-logs.html
https://docs.pivotal.io/pivotalcf/devguide/services/log-management.html

Rohit

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 11:30 AM, Swatz bosh <swatzron(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I have couple of queries -

1. Can we connect/bind services running inside my premise to the apps
which are running on PCF which is on AWS ?

2. Also for application logging and debugging what is the best approach in
CF?

Thanks
Ronak

service binding and logging

Swatz bosh

Hi,

I have couple of queries -

1. Can we connect/bind services running inside my premise to the apps which are running on PCF which is on AWS ?

2. Also for application logging and debugging what is the best approach in CF?

Thanks
Ronak

Re: Inline-relations-depth: deprecation and its consequences

Urvashi Reddy

Ok, apparently this isn't markdown. Here are the correct links:

v3 style guide section on including related resources: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cc-api-v3-style-guide#including-related-resources

cloud controller issue page: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cloud_controller_ng/issues

Re: Request to post in cf-dev mailing list

Claire Laurence

Hi Urvashi,
You can go to this link, https://lists.cloudfoundry.org/mailman3/lists/ and
request to join cf-dev mailing list.

Best,
Claire

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 10:05 AM, Urvashi Reddy <ureddy(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Hello,

Can you please add my email to the dev mailing list?

ureddy(a)pivotal.io

Thanks!
Urvashi
--
Claire Laurence
Pivotal Cloud Foundry San Francisco

Urvashi Reddy

Hello,

Can you please add my email to the dev mailing list?

ureddy(a)pivotal.io

Thanks!
Urvashi

Re: Inline-relations-depth: deprecation and its consequences

Urvashi Reddy

Hello,

To add on to what Simon's said, the CAPI team has a proposed style guide for new features in v3 of the API. You can take a look at the proposed API for [including related resources here.](https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cc-api-v3-style-guide#including-related-resources) We encourage you to take a look and let us know your thoughts, either here, on the style guide github page, or the cloud controller github page [here](https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cloud_controller_ng/issues)

Thanks,
Urvashi Reddy
Software Engineer on CAPI

Re: CF-RELEASE v202 UPLOAD ERROR

Warren Fernandes

Hey Parthiban,

It seems that there may be a misconfiguration in your manifest.
Did you configure the nfs_server properties?

https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cf-release/blob/master/templates/cf-jobs.yml#L19-L22

The api_z1 pulls the above properties in here. https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cf-release/blob/master/templates/cf-jobs.yml#L368.

Is it possible to share your manifest with us via a gist or attachment? Please remove any sensitive information like passwords, certs and keys.

Thanks.

Re: cloud_controller_ng performance degrades slowly over time

Matt Cholick

Sure. Here's the Ruby:

dns_open: 8 ms | dns_close: 0 ms
dns_open: 9 ms | dns_close: 0 ms
dns_open: 10 ms | dns_close: 0 ms
dns_open: 3013 ms | dns_close: 0 ms
dns_open: 5015 ms | dns_close: 0 ms
dns_open: 5011 ms | dns_close: 0 ms
dns_open: 5014 ms | dns_close: 0 ms
dns_open: 5015 ms | dns_close: 0 ms
dns_open: 5012 ms | dns_close: 0 ms
dns_open: 5015 ms | dns_close: 0 ms

https://gist.github.com/cholick/f8bab2d9752728671b94

And the Go:
dns_open: 16ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 11ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 19ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 12ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 16ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 3016ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 15ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 5033ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 11ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 5018ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 5017ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 12ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 5017ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 13ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 5015ms | dns_close: 0ms

https://gist.github.com/cholick/7d4e01dcf99588d13016

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 10:10 PM, Amit Gupta <agupta(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Thanks Matt, that's super interesting. It would be awesome to get the
strace from the Ruby thing, as well another strace from the Go thing but
this time starting from before it goes slow. I think there's some sort of
weird thing that happens once, and then after that happens, the fact that
Consul (or any other always-SERVFAIL server, e.g. Dmitriy's little Ruby DNS
server) is present makes all subsequent requests slow. So I'd like to see
strace from both the Ruby and the Go, with enough before and after the
slowness starts to establish the same pattern of behaviour.

The alternating slow/fast stuff with Go is interesting. Not clue yet what
that could be, maybe multiple goroutines?

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 4:13 PM, Matt Cholick <cholick(a)gmail.com> wrote:

So things got a little more interesting yesterday. We have some custom
Golang jobs for auditing and some other purposes. A recent change added the
consult_agent template to the box with these jobs and I saw similar
behavior: requests with dns resolution taking +5s consistently, fixable by
restarting the process. I wrote a small Golang app to try and reproduce it.
I got similar, but not identical behavior in the test app.

package main

import (
"net"
"fmt"
"time"
)

func main() {
for {
startOpen := time.Now()
conn, err := net.Dial("tcp", "api.useast.appfog.qa.ctl.io:http")
if err != nil {
fmt.Printf("%#v", err)
} else {
endOpen := time.Now()
conn.Close()
endClose := time.Now()
openDur := endOpen.Sub(startOpen) / 1e6
closeDur := endClose.Sub(endOpen) / 1e6

fmt.Printf("dns_open: %dms | dns_close: %dms\n", openDur, closeDur)

After some time, I saw:
dns_open: 14ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 5019ms | dns_close: 1ms
dns_open: 25ms | dns_close: 1ms
dns_open: 27ms | dns_close: 1ms
dns_open: 20ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 5015ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 14ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 5018ms | dns_close: 1ms
dns_open: 15ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 5018ms | dns_close: 1ms
dns_open: 19ms | dns_close: 0ms
dns_open: 5046ms | dns_close: 0ms

To reiterate, the behavior in the actual app seemed to be every single
request. The test app went into a similar mode where a roughly every other
request failed. Here's the strace for that section:

https://gist.github.com/cholick/428df93c112067f50558

On some other runs it was quite consistently alternating slow and fast
calls (for ~300 calls in a row alternating slow/fast). Just like the Ruby,
once things get into an unhappy state they stay that way until restarting
the process. (The process ran for 12 hours and never recovered).

I can capture a Ruby strace too if you'd like, but I figured this was
more useful as it added more novel information to the mix.

These Golang jobs have run in production for months without showing this
behavior and, within a few hours of including the consul template, the
issue manifested.

Re: Inline-relations-depth: deprecation and its consequences

Simon D Moser

Hi Ponraj,

#1) Because IRD can quickly become quite expensive DB query wise, since it
would follow all relations given your query. Eg v2/organizations with IRD
2 or 3 would drag along A LOT of things, most in which you probably aren't
interested in

#2) Yes, in v3 API there is a way to specify what resources you exactly
want when you query - e.g. v3/organizations and you pass (spaces, routes)
because thats what you're really interested in

check the v3 style guide for the correct syntax etc:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/cc-api-v3-style-guide

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Simon Moser

Senior Technical Staff Member / IBM Master Inventor
Bluemix Application Platform Lead Architect
Dept. C727, IBM Research & Development Boeblingen

IBM Deutschland
Schoenaicher Str. 220
71032 Boeblingen
Phone: +49-7031-16-4304
Fax: +49-7031-16-4890
E-Mail: smoser(a)de.ibm.com
IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH / Vorsitzender des
Aufsichtsrats: Martina Koederitz
Geschäftsführung: Dirk Wittkopp
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen / Registergericht: Amtsgericht
Stuttgart, HRB 243294

**
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds
discuss people.
Eleanor Roosevelt

From: "Ponraj E" <ponraj.e(a)gmail.com>
To: cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org
Date: 19/11/2015 13:02
Subject: [cf-dev] Re: Inline-relations-depth: deprecation and its
consequences

Hi,

If anyone can provide information on this atleast, it would help.

1. Why the "inline-relations-depth" feature is going to be deprecated.

2. Does cf has planned any other alternative solution in the near future
to replace "inline-relations-depth"?

---------
Ponraj

Re: Inline-relations-depth: deprecation and its consequences

Ponraj E

Hi,

If anyone can provide information on this atleast, it would help.

1. Why the "inline-relations-depth" feature is going to be deprecated.

2. Does cf has planned any other alternative solution in the near future to replace "inline-relations-depth"?

---------
Ponraj

Re: Question about the terms of use of Cloud Foundry logo

Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@...>

+Mike, he should be able to help.

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
IBM Distinguished Engineer, CTO Open Cloud
IBM Software Group, Open Technologies
email: chrisfer(a)us.ibm.com
twitter: @christo4ferris
blog: http://thoughtsoncloud.com/index.php/author/cferris/
phone: +1 508 667 0402

On Nov 19, 2015, at 2:04 AM, Noburou TANIGUCHI <dev(a)nota.m001.jp> wrote:

Hi,

I know this is **Dev** mailing list but I can't find any other place to ask
this question.

# Please navigate me if there is an appropriate place.

My company wants to know about the terms of use of the Cloud Foundry logo
("Molten"). The "Assets" page [1] gives us the style guideline for the logo,
but we cannot find legal terms of use. Would you please tell us the
information, or a reference to the information.

Thank you.

[1] https://www.cloudfoundry.org/foundation/assets/

Suppl: My company is a member of the Foundation.

-----
I'm not a ...
noburou taniguchi

REGARDING_api_z1/0_CANARY_UPDATE

Parthiban Annadurai <senjiparthi@...>

Hello All,
Since, I was facing the following issue for very long time, I have opened it as a separate thread. The problem am currently facing is

Error 400007: `api_z1/0' is not running after update

I have SSHed into the api_z1/0 VM and did a monit summary. It shows that

root(a)5c446a3d-3070-4d24-9f2e-1cff18218c07:/var/vcap/sys/log# monit summary
The Monit daemon 5.2.4 uptime: 20m

Process 'cloud_controller_ng' initializing
Process 'cloud_controller_worker_local_1' not monitored
Process 'cloud_controller_worker_local_2' not monitored
Process 'nginx_cc' initializing
Process 'metron_agent' running
File 'nfs_mounter' Does not exist
System 'system_5c446a3d-3070-4d24-9f2e-1cff18218c07' running

Could anyone help on this issue? Thanks.

FW: issue tracker permissions

Sievers, Jan <jan.sievers@...>

Hi,

I was trying to watch a story I am interested in
https://www.pivotaltracker.com/n/projects/892938/stories/105493826

I do have an account but it seems I don't have permissions to watch nor to comment.

Is there something I missed?

Regards
Jan

Re: Unable to deploy application

Bharath

Hi Deepak

I think it was unable to clone java buildpack. can you check the your
security groups and network settings .can you tell which network project
you are using neutron or nova

regards
Bharath

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 1:24 AM, Deepak Arn <arn.deepak1(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I have configured local cloud foundry on openstack, its giving some
staging error while deploying web application. Please find the log file
attached below.

Deepak Kumar Aggarwal
Research Assitant,
Concordia University, Canada

Re: Question about the terms of use of Cloud Foundry logo

Noburou TANIGUCHI

Add: I assume that there may be something like this:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/linux-foundation-trademark-usage-guidelines

-----
I'm not a ...
noburou taniguchi