From: Jean-Sebastien Delfino [mailto:jsdelfino(a)gmail.com]
Sent: 2015年11月6日 0:15
To: Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall.
Subject: [cf-dev] Re: Re: abacus collector doesn't work

Hi Maggie,

Which level of abacus are you using? Are you using the v0.0.2 release or a specific commit from the Abacus Github repository?

You can get a more verbose log with the following env variable:
DEBUG=e-abacus-*,abacus-request,abacus-router

You can set it like this:
cf set-env abacus-usage-collector DEBUG "e-abacus-*,abacus-request,abacus-router"
cf restage abacus-usage-collector

BTW, with the latest version of the Abacus master branch that DEBUG variable is already set to "e-abacus-*" (log all errors) in our default CF manifest.yml files.

Would you mind creating a Github issue including the log from the abacus-usage-collector app with the DEBUG variable set as above? We'll take a look.

Thanks!

- Jean-Sebastien

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 7:48 PM, Meng, Xiangyi <xiangyi.meng(a)emc.com<mailto:xiangyi.meng(a)emc.com>> wrote:
Hi, Hristo

I think I am using the bosh-lite. And I tried to change the environment variable as below. But I still got the same error. Which application does collector want to connect?

dmadmin(a)dmadmin-Lenovo-Product:~/cloudfoundry/cf-abacus/cf-abacus$ cf env abacus-usage-collector
Getting env variables for app abacus-usage-collector in org test / space space as admin...
OK

System-Provided:
User-Provided:
CONF: default
COUCHDB: abacus-dbserver.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-dbserver.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
DEBUG: e-abacus-*
EUREKA: abacus-eureka-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-eureka-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
METER: abacus-usage-meter.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-usage-meter.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
PROVISIONING: abacus-provisioning-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-provisioning-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
SECURED: false

dmadmin(a)dmadmin-Lenovo-Product:~/cloudfoundry/cf-abacus/cf-abacus$ cf apps
Getting apps in org test / space space as admin...
OK

name requested state instances memory disk urls
abacus-account-stub started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-account-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-account-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-usage-reporting started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-reporting.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-usage-reporting.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-usage-meter started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-meter.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-usage-meter.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-usage-accumulator started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-accumulator.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-usage-accumulator.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-dbserver started 1/1 1G 512M abacus-dbserver.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-dbserver.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-eureka-stub started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-eureka-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-eureka-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-usage-rate started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-rate.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-usage-rate.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-authserver-stub started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-authserver-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-authserver-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-provisioning-stub started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-provisioning-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-provisioning-stub.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-usage-aggregator started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-aggregator.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-usage-aggregator.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>
abacus-usage-collector started 1/1 512M 512M abacus-usage-collector.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com<http://abacus-usage-collector.bjngiscf-dev.dctmlabs.com>

dmadmin(a)dmadmin-Lenovo-Product:~/cloudfoundry/cf-abacus/cf-abacus$ cf security-group abacus
Getting info for security group abacus as admin
OK

Name abacus
Rules
[
{
"destination": "0.0.0.0/0<http://0.0.0.0/0>",
"ports": "1-65535",
"protocol": "tcp"
},
{
"destination": "0.0.0.0/0<http://0.0.0.0/0>",
"ports": "1-65535",
"protocol": "udp"
}
]

Organization Space
#0 test space

Thanks,
Maggie

Re: OpenAM integration

Sree Tummidi

You would need to set up Open AM as a SAML 2.0 Identity Provider and
provide the Identity Provider Metadata in the cf-manifest under
login->saml->providers section

login.saml.providers: description: "Contains a hash of SAML Identity
Providers, the key is the IDP Alias, followed by key/value pairs. To learn
more about how to setup a saml identity provider go to
https://simplesamlphp.org" example: my-identity-provider:
metadataTrustCheck: false idpMetadata:
http://my.identityprovider.com/saml2/idp/metadata.php nameID:
urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.1:nameid-format:emailAddress
assertionConsumerIndex: 0 signMetaData: false signRequest: false iconUrl:
https://my.identityprovider.com/icon.png showSamlLoginLink: true linkText:
Log in with My Saml Identity Provider

Refer to
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/uaa/blob/master/docs/login/OpenAM-README.md
for OpenAM configuration

Thanks,
Sree Tummidi
Sr. Product Manager
Identity - Pivotal Cloud Foundry

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Antonio Diaz Arroyo <antonio.diaza(a)atos.net
We are trying to integrate a Single Sign-On authentication from OpenAM
into an application deployed on Cloud Foundry.
Does anyone know what would be the best approach to do this?

Thank you!

app restage

Swatz bosh

Hi,

If we use Zookeeper/Spring-Cloud-Config-server for application configuration management, then is there are way - to avoid 'cf restage app' after binding my app to config server. So is there a way that - without restaging my app configurations get reflected in my app ?

Hope am able to clearly raise my query.

Thanks.

Re: Invalid Authorization: while deploying application on local CF Instance

Rohit Kumar

Hi Deepak,

Do you have access to the loggregator_trafficcontroller machines from bosh?
If so, can you `bosh ssh` into the machines attach the logs for the
loggregator_trafficcontroller job? They are present under
/var/vcap/sys/log/loggregator_trafficcontroller

Rohit

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 12:15 PM, Deepak Arn <arn.deepak1(a)gmail.com> wrote:

While deploying application on the local cf instance(CF_Nise_Installer),
its giving unauthorized error, unable to take any logs. Could anyone please
help to resolve this issue

C:\Users\umroot\Downloads>cf target -s Components
API endpoint: https://api.10.0.2.15.xip.io (API version: 2.35.0)
User: admin
Org: DevBox
Space: Components

C:\Users\umroot\workspaceKeplerJee>cf push Web2210 -p
C:\Users\umroot\Downloads\
war_sample\Web2210.war -b
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/java-buildpack#v3.1.1
Creating app Web2210 in org DevBox / space Components as admin...
OK

Creating route web2210.10.0.2.15.xip.io...
OK

Binding web2210.10.0.2.15.xip.io to Web2210...
OK

Uploading Web2210...
Uploading app files from: C:\Users\umroot\Downloads\war_sample\Web2210.war
Uploading 3.6K, 10 files
Done uploading
OK

timeout connecting to log server, no log will be shown
Starting app Web2210 in org DevBox / space Components as admin...
Warning: error tailing logs
Unauthorized error: You are not authorized. Error: Invalid authorization

FAILED
StagingError

TIP: use 'cf logs Web2210 --recent' for more information

C:\Users\umroot\workspaceKeplerJee>cf logs Web2210 --recent
Connected, dumping recent logs for app Web2210 in org DevBox / space
Components
as admin...

FAILED
Unauthorized error: You are not authorized. Error: Invalid authorization

Re: abacus collector doesn't work

Jean-Sebastien Delfino

#0 test space

Thanks,
Maggie

Re: IBM Users Database

Veronica <veronica@...>

Hi,

Hope doing well,

I done a small research on companies who are looking for technology Users
Database and that’s how I found your contact.

Would you be interested in IBM User Accounts for your products and services
promotions through Email Campaigns and Marketing Campaigns?

Data fields provided: Company Name, Contact Name, Contact Title, Telephone
Number, Verified Email Address, Mailing Address, Fax Number, Revenue Size &
No. of Employees Size, SIC Code, Industry Type.

Database Benefits:

ü With our database you can run Email Campaign or Tele Campaign or Fax
campaign to connect with your audience.

ü You can you it for your Brand Awareness.

ü Our Database helps you to reach new clients.

ü You can replace your old database with fresh, updated Database and many
more.

If you are looking for some other technology User Accounts Let me know so I
can get back to you with relevent information as well as sample file for
your reference.

Industry : ___________ (Any Industry), Geography: _____________ (All Over
The World), Job Title: _____________ (CEO, CFO, CTO, VP/Director, etc..);

Note: We also provide appending service to the clients we are looking to
update/refresh their old data.

Let me know your thoughts on this to have a quick call to discuss more.

Regards

Veronica Hastin,

Marketing manager.

--------

If you do not wish to receive future emails from us, please reply as 'leave
out'

Re: Deploy on OpenNebula

Chip Childers <cchilders@...>

There is not a BOSH-CPI for Open Nebula available as a foundation "owned"
project at this time.

This is an interesting thread from back in 2013 >
https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/forum/#!topic/vcap-dev/bB613ymi3ZE

I suspect that work has not continued, but we would certainly love to see
one get created!

-chip

Chip Childers | VP Technology | Cloud Foundry Foundation

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 3:17 AM, yancey0623 <yancey0623(a)163.com> wrote:

Any on deploy CloudFoundry on OpenNebula? I can only find the cpi for
OpenStack, VMWare etc...

Diego, Garden and Greenhouse projects moved to Active

Chip Childers <cchilders@...>

All,

The Runtime PMC has officially moved the Diego, Greenhouse and Garden
projects from incubating to active status. The project teams have not yet
moved the repositories (there is work to do here IIRC around handling the
references in the code to cloudfoundry-incubator vs. cloudfoundry GH URLs).

This change is largely "administrative", giving the participating
organizations "committer votes" within the Runtime PMC now. However, it is
a moment that those teams (past and present) can feel great about. The
projects continue to mature, and are beginning to be commercialized from
the downstream vendors.

Congratulations to everyone involved!

-chip

Chip Childers | VP Technology | Cloud Foundry Foundation

Re: ElasticSearch boshrelease and broker

ramonskie

yes but this is the complete ELK intergration.

we only want to use elasticsearch as a service
i know PCF has one but its not opensource

#0 test space

Thanks,
Maggie

Re: cf push docker image on diego bosh-lite fails

Ramesh Sambandan

Thanks Chris,

I can push docker container after downgrading.

The smoke testing still is failing with same error.

*****************************************************************************************************************************
OK

------------------------------
• Failure in Spec Setup (JustBeforeEach) [23.136 seconds]
Docker Application Lifecycle [JustBeforeEach] running the app merges the garden and docker environment variables
/Users/rsamban/cloudFoundry/BoshLite/diego-acceptance-tests/diego/lifecycle_docker_test.go:70

No future change is possible. Bailing out early after 17.068s.
Expected
<int>: 1
to match exit code:
<int>: 0

/Users/rsamban/cloudFoundry/BoshLite/diego-acceptance-tests/diego/lifecycle_docker_test.go:46
*****************************************************************************************************************************

thanks
-Ramesh

Re: How to Handle the Intersection beween Diego and CF Jobs

Eric Malm <emalm@...>

Hi, Ramon,

I don't fully understand how you're trying to deploy your CF and Diego
clusters together. Diego does need to interact with some components that
are currently deployed as part of CF, but we've currently structured Diego
as a separate deployment that integrates with those CF components. The
diego-release repo has its own manifest-generation script repo that takes
as inputs the CF deployment manifest and several other specific stubs and
produces a deployment manifest for Diego that should integrate correctly
with that CF deployment.

We also have written the Diego manifest-generation script to have more
structured inputs than the manifest-generation script in cf-release. In
particular, it takes in a defined list of input stubs, one of which
captures only specific information about your infrastructure (networks,
stemcell, cloud properties for resource pools), and another of which
captures only the instance counts of the Diego jobs. If you already have a
working CF manifest, I would suggest you try customizing those two stubs to
match your infrastructure details and desired deployment size and then use
them and your CF manifest as inputs to generate a compatible Diego
deployment manifest.

If you need some complete examples, I would recommend generating CF and
Diego manifests for BOSH-Lite first, following the instructions in the
diego-release README, and comparing them to the BOSH-Lite input stubs
located in
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/diego-release/tree/develop/manifest-generation/bosh-lite-stubs.
The manifest you mentioned in Dmitriy's Diego CPI release is over a year
old and is quite out of date. The Diego team will be working on publishing
more examples and tooling for deploying to other infrastructures, such as
AWS, in the near future.

Thanks,
Eric Malm, CF Runtime Diego PM

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 5:34 AM, Ramon Erb <web01(a)web-coach.ch> wrote:

I installed CF and then found out that Diego is not included. I don't get
"generate_deployment_manifest" to work for the Diego installation because I
get "unresolved nodes" and don't know how to handle them. Therefore I tried
to create a Manifest myself because I had similar problems with the CF
installation and I was able to write a running Manifest for the CF setup
with Manifests posted somewhere.

I thought it makes no sense to generate the job "nats" and "etcd" because
they already exist in my running CF (and its manifest).
Is it possible/wise to (re)use the jobs from CF?
For the Diego-Installation I need the jobs template "file_server" how
can I integrate it in CF?

I want to install the Diego-Version:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/diego-release/tree/v0.1434.0
And if that was successful switch to:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/diego-docker-cache-release
Because I want to use my own Docker-Repository.

I use this manifest for reference:
https://github.com/cppforlife/bosh-diego-cpi-release/blob/master/manifests/diego.yml
Is there another place where I can get complete Diego-Manifests for
reference?

Thank you! Nguinaro

Re: cf push docker image on diego bosh-lite fails

Christopher Piraino <cpiraino@...>

Ramesh,

I was seeing similar errors in another environment of ours, and after
checking the diego/garden-linux compatibility I found that garden-linux
0.325.0 had not been tested against 0.1439.0 of diego. You can see the
compatibilities here:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/diego-cf-compatibility/blob/master/compatibility-v2.csv

I downgraded garden-linux to 0.316.0 and container creation worked for me.

- Chris

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Ramesh Sambandan <rsamban(a)gmail.com> wrote:

I am trying to push docker app to diego in bosh lite.
I verified that I docker image cloudfoundry/lattice-app is running fine in
my local docker daemon.
I have enabled diego_docker feature flag.
My cf version is 6.13
I am doing “cf push dockerLattice --docker-image cloudfoundry/lattice-app”
and following is my "cf logs dockerLattice --recent"

************************************************************************************************************************************
2015-11-04T13:06:58.71-0700 [API/0] OUT Created app with guid
05c02bed-464a-4c89-948f-9b1cf12144a0
2015-11-04T13:06:58.81-0700 [API/0] OUT Updated app with guid
05c02bed-464a-4c89-948f-9b1cf12144a0
({"route"=>"b7650962-d25d-446c-a074-c06c1b13d811"})
2015-11-04T13:07:04.01-0700 [API/0] OUT Updated app with guid
05c02bed-464a-4c89-948f-9b1cf12144a0 ({"state"=>"STARTED"})
2015-11-04T13:07:04.03-0700 [STG/0] OUT Creating container
2015-11-04T13:07:04.62-0700 [STG/0] OUT Successfully created container
2015-11-04T13:07:04.71-0700 [STG/0] OUT Staging...
2015-11-04T13:07:04.74-0700 [STG/0] OUT Staging process started ...
2015-11-04T13:07:06.48-0700 [STG/0] OUT Staging process finished
2015-11-04T13:07:06.48-0700 [STG/0] OUT Exit status 0
2015-11-04T13:07:06.48-0700 [STG/0] OUT Staging Complete
2015-11-04T13:07:06.90-0700 [CELL/0] OUT Creating container

2015-11-04T13:07:45.72-0700 [CELL/0] ERR Failed to create container
2015-11-04T13:07:45.74-0700 [API/0] OUT App instance exited with guid
05c02bed-464a-4c89-948f-9b1cf12144a0 payload:
{"instance"=>"c3e4ca30-98ac-4170-45cc-1755f3e6cc01", "index"=>0,
"reason"=>"CRASHED", "exit_description"=>"failed to initialize container",
"crash_count"=>4, "crash_timestamp"=>1446667665731251451,
"version"=>"73c93a4b-b1d6-43c0-90e4-44b5d8fd36ee"}

************************************************************************************************************************************

I tried to run diego acceptance test(smoke test was successful) on my bosh
lite and got following error.(./bin/test -skipPackage ssh)

************************************************************************************************************************************
[2015-11-04 19:58:26.24 (UTC)]> cf delete
39621ab3-cdbe-4790-4f90-294ec46a5546 -f
Deleting app 39621ab3-cdbe-4790-4f90-294ec46a5546 in org
CATS-ORG-1-2015_11_04-12h40m44.529s / space
CATS-SPACE-1-2015_11_04-12h40m44.529s as
CATS-USER-1-2015_11_04-12h40m44.529s...
OK

------------------------------
• Failure in Spec Setup (JustBeforeEach) [23.136 seconds]
Docker Application Lifecycle [JustBeforeEach] running the app merges the
garden and docker environment variables

/Users/rsamban/cloudFoundry/BoshLite/diego-acceptance-tests/diego/lifecycle_docker_test.go:70

No future change is possible. Bailing out early after 17.068s.
Expected
<int>: 1
to match exit code:
<int>: 0

/Users/rsamban/cloudFoundry/BoshLite/diego-acceptance-tests/diego/lifecycle_docker_test.go:46
------------------------------
SS

Summarizing 1 Failure:

[Fail] Docker Application Lifecycle [JustBeforeEach] running the app
merges the garden and docker environment variables

/Users/rsamban/cloudFoundry/BoshLite/diego-acceptance-tests/diego/lifecycle_docker_test.go:46

Ran 27 of 29 Specs in 1080.006 seconds
FAIL! -- 26 Passed | 1 Failed | 0 Pending | 2 Skipped --- FAIL:
TestApplications (1080.01s)
FAIL

Ginkgo ran 1 suite in 18m1.688798613s
Test Suite Failed

************************************************************************************************************************************

Following is output from "bosh deployments"

************************************************************************************************************************************

+-----------------+----------------------+-------------------------------------------------+--------------+
| Name | Release(s) | Stemcell(s)
| Cloud Config |

+-----------------+----------------------+-------------------------------------------------+--------------+
| cf-warden | cf/222+dev.1 |
bosh-warden-boshlite-ubuntu-trusty-go_agent/389 | none |

+-----------------+----------------------+-------------------------------------------------+--------------+
| cf-warden-diego | cf/222+dev.1 |
bosh-warden-boshlite-ubuntu-trusty-go_agent/389 | none |
| | diego/0.1439.0+dev.1 |
| |
| | etcd/18 |
| |
| | garden-linux/0.325.0 |
| |

+-----------------+----------------------+-------------------------------------------------+--------------+

************************************************************************************************************************************

Can somebody help me please.

thanks
-Ramesh

Re: cloud_controller_ng performance degrades slowly over time

Matt Cholick

Gotcha. Yeah, the rescue lets that test run; after 425k lookups, it never
got slow.

Here's a bit of the strace:
https://gist.github.com/cholick/88c756760faca77208f8

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 11:59 AM, Amit Gupta <agupta(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Hey Matt,

I wanted to keep using the uaa.SYSTEM_DOMAIN domain, not the internal
domain, for that experiment. I do expect the TCPSocket.open to fail when
talking to 127.0.0.1, what I wanted to know is, in the presence of no other
nameservers, does it eventually start to fail slow again, or does this
behaviour happen only when there are other nameservers. I imagine the
TCPSocket.open is blowing up on the first iteration in the loop and exiting
the script? My bad, can you replace:

TCPSocket.open("--UAA-DOMAIN--", 80).close

with

TCPSocket.open("--UAA-DOMAIN--", 80).close rescue nil

for the experiment with only 127.0.0.1 listed amongst the nameservers?

Yes, something about the move from the first to second nameserver seems
weird. I have seen strace of one case where it times out polling the FD of
the socket it opened to talk to 127.0.0.1, but in one of your straces it
looked like the poll timeout was on polling the FD for the socket for
8.8.8.8. The fact that the problem persists is interesting too, it seems
like it's not just a one-off race condition where someone messed up with FD
it was supposed to be polling.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 11:41 AM, Matt Cholick <cholick(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Ah, I misunderstood.

Consul isn't configured as a recursive resolver, so for a test with only
the 127.0.0.1 in resolve.conf I changed the url in the ruby loop to
"uaa.service.cf.internal", which is what uaa is registering for in consul.

I ran through 225k lookups and it never got slow. Here's a bit of the
strace:
https://gist.github.com/cholick/38e02ce3f351847d5fa3

Bother versions of that test definitely pointing to the move from the
first to the second nameserver in ruby, when the first nameserver doesn't
know the address.

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 11:43 PM, Amit Gupta <agupta(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

I looked at the strace, I see you did indeed mean "loop without resolver
on localhost". If you try it with *only* a resolver on localhost, do you
get the eventually consistent DNS slowdown?

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 8:33 PM, Amit Gupta <agupta(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Thanks Matt!

When you say "the loop without the resolver on local host" did you mean
"the loop with only a resolver on local host"? Sorry if my setup wasn't
clear, but my intention was to only have 127.0.0.1 in etc/resolv.conf.

On Tuesday, November 3, 2015, Matt Cholick <cholick(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Here are the results of the ruby loop with strace:
https://gist.github.com/cholick/e7e122e34b524cae5fa1

As expected, things eventually get slow. The bash version of the loop
with a new vm each time didn't get slow.

For the loop without a resolver on localhost, it never did get slow.
Though it's hard to prove with something so inconsistent, it hadn't
happened after 100k requests. Here's some of the strace:
https://gist.github.com/cholick/81e58f58e82bfe0a1489

On the final loop, with the SERVFAIL resolver, the issue did
manifest. Here's the trace of that run:
https://gist.github.com/cholick/bd2af46795911cb9f63c

Thanks for digging in on this.

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 6:53 PM, Amit Gupta <agupta(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Okay, interesting, hopefully we're narrowing in on something.
There's a couple variables I'd like to eliminate, so I wonder if you could
try the following. Also, feel free at any point to let me know if you are
not interesting in digging further.

Try all things as sudo, on one of the CCs.

1. It appears that the problem goes away when the CC process is
restarted, so it feels as though there's some sort of resource that the
ruby process is not able to GC, leading to this problem to show up
eventually, and then go away when restarted. I want to confirm this by
trying two different loops, one where the loop is in bash, spinning up a
new ruby process each time, and one where the loop is in ruby.

* bash loop:

while true; do time /var/vcap/packages/ruby-VERSION/bin/ruby
-r'net/protocol' -e 'TCPSocket.open("--UAA-DOMAIN--", 80).close'; done

* ruby loop

/var/vcap/packages/ruby-VERSION/bin/ruby -r'net/protocol' -e '1.step
do |i|; t = Time.now; TCPSocket.open("--UAA-DOMAIN--", 80).close; puts
"#{i}: #{(1000*(Time.now - t)).round}ms"; end'

For each loop, it might also be useful to run `strace -f -p PID >
SOME_FILE` to see what system calls are going on before and after.

2. Another variable is the interaction with the other nameservers.
For this experiment, I would do `monit stop all` to take one of your
CC's out of commission, so that the router doesn't load balance to it,
because it will likely fail requests given the following changes:

* monit stop all && watch monit summary # wait for all the processes
to be stopped, then ctrl+c to stop the watch
* monit start consul_agent && watch monit summary # wait for
consul_agent to be running, then ctrl+c to stop the watch
* Remove nameservers other than 127.0.0.1 from /etc/resolv.conf
* Run the "ruby loop", and see if it still eventually gets slow
* When it's all done, put the original nameservers back in
/etc/resolv.conf, and `monit restart all`

Again, strace-ing the ruby loop would be interesting here.

3. Finally, consul itself. Dmitriy (BOSH PM) has a little DNS
resolver that can be run instead of consul, that will always SERVFAIL (same
as what you see from consul when you nslookup something), so we can try
that:

* Modify `/var/vcap/bosh/etc/gemrc` to remove the `--local` flag
* Run `gem install rubydns`
* Dump the following into a file, say `/var/vcap/data/tmp/dns.rb`:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

require "rubydns"

RubyDNS.run_server(listen: [[:udp, "0.0.0.0", 53], [:tcp, "0.0.0.0",
53]]) do
otherwise do |transaction|
transaction.fail!(:ServFail)
end
end

* monit stop all && watch monit summary # and again, wait for
everything to be stopped
* Run it with `ruby /var/vcap/data/tmp/dns.rb`. Note that this
command, and the previous `gem install`, use the system gem/ruby,
not the ruby package used by CC, so it maintains some separation. When
running this, it will spit out logs to the terminal, so one can keep an eye
on what it's doing, make sure it all looks reasonable
* Make sure the original nameservers are back in the
`/etc/resolv.conf` (i.e. ensure this experiment is independent of the
previous experiment).
* Run the "ruby loop" (in a separate shell session on the CC)
* After it's all done, add back `--local` to `
/var/vcap/bosh/etc/gemrc`, and `monit restart all`

Again, run strace on the ruby process.

What I hope we find out is that (1) only the ruby loop is affected,
so it has something to do with long running ruby processes, (2) the problem
is independent of the other nameservers listed in /etc/resolv.conf,
and (3) the problem remains when running Dmitriy's DNS-FAILSERVer instead
of consul on 127.0.0.1:53, to determine that the problem is not
specific to consul.

On Sun, Nov 1, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Matt Cholick <cholick(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Amit,
It looks like consul isn't configured as a recursive resolver. When
running the above code, resolving fails on the first nameserver and the
script fails. resolv-replace's TCPSocket.open is different from the code
http.rb (and thus api) is using. http.rb is pulling in 'net/protocol'. I
changed the script, replacing the require for 'resolv-replace' to
'net/protocol' to match the cloud controller.

Results:

3286 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 4 ms | dns_close:
0 ms
3287 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 5 ms | dns_close:
0 ms
3288 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 6 ms | dns_close:
0 ms
3289 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 5 ms | dns_close:
0 ms
3290 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 5 ms | dns_close:
0 ms
3291 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 5 ms | dns_close:
0 ms
3292 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 5 ms | dns_close:
0 ms
3293 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 5 ms | dns_close:
0 ms
3294 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 2008 ms |
dns_close: 0 ms
3295 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 4010 ms |
dns_close: 0 ms
3296 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 4010 ms |
dns_close: 0 ms
3297 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 4006 ms |
dns_close: 0 ms
3298 -- ip_open: 2 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 4010 ms |
dns_close: 0 ms
3299 -- ip_open: 3 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 4011 ms |
dns_close: 0 ms
3300 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 4010 ms |
dns_close: 0 ms
3301 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 4011 ms |
dns_close: 0 ms
3302 -- ip_open: 1 ms | ip_close: 0 ms | dns_open: 4010 ms |
dns_close: 0 ms

And the consul logs, though there's nothing interesting there:
https://gist.github.com/cholick/03d74f7f012e54c50b56

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Amit Gupta <agupta(a)pivotal.io>
wrote:

Yup, that's what I was suspecting. Can you try the following now:

1. Add something like the following to your cf manifest:

jobs:
- name: cloud_controller_z1
properties:
consul:
agent:
log_level: debug

This will set the debug level for the consul agents on your CC job
to debug, so we might be able to see more for its logs. It only sets it on
the job that matters, so when you redeploy, it won't have to roll the whole
deployment. It's okay if you can't/don't want to do this, I'm not sure how
much you want to play around with your environment, but it could be helpful.

2. Add the following line to the bottom of your /etc/resolv.conf

options timeout:4

Let's see if the slow DNS is on the order of 4000ms now, to pin
down where the 5s is exactly coming from.

3. Run the following script on your CC box:

require 'resolv-replace'

UAA_DOMAIN = '--CHANGE-ME--' # e.g. 'uaa.run.pivotal.io'
UAA_IP = '--CHANGE-ME-TOO--' # e.g. '52.21.135.158'

def dur(start_time, end_time)
"#{(1000*(end_time-start_time)).round} ms"
end

1.step do |i|
ip_start = Time.now
s = TCPSocket.open(UAA_IP, 80)
ip_open = Time.now
s.close
ip_close = Time.now

dns_start = Time.now
s = TCPSocket.open(UAA_DOMAIN, 80)
dns_open = Time.now
s.close
dns_close = Time.now

ip_open_dur = dur(ip_start, ip_open)
ip_close_dur = dur(ip_open, ip_close)
dns_open_dur = dur(dns_start, dns_open)
dns_close_dur = dur(dns_open, dns_close)

puts "#{"%04d" % i} -- ip_open: #{ip_open_dur} | ip_close:
#{ip_close_dur} | dns_open: #{dns_open_dur} | dns_close: #{dns_close_dur}"
end

You will need to first nslookup (or otherwise determine) the IP
that the UAA_DOMAIN resolves to (it will be some load balancer, possibly
the gorouter, ha_proxy, or your own upstream LB)

4. Grab the files in /var/vcap/sys/log/consul_agent/

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Matt Cholick <cholick(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Here's the results:

https://gist.github.com/cholick/1325fe0f592b1805eba5

The time all between opening connection and opened, with the
corresponding ruby source in http.rb's connect method:

D "opening connection to #{conn_address}:#{conn_port}..."

s = Timeout.timeout(@open_timeout, Net::OpenTimeout) {
TCPSocket.open(conn_address, conn_port, @local_host, @local_port)
}
s.setsockopt(Socket::IPPROTO_TCP, Socket::TCP_NODELAY, 1)
D "opened"

I don't know much ruby, so that's as far I drilled down.

-Matt

cf push docker image on diego bosh-lite fails

Ramesh Sambandan

I am trying to push docker app to diego in bosh lite.
I verified that I docker image cloudfoundry/lattice-app is running fine in my local docker daemon.
I have enabled diego_docker feature flag.
My cf version is 6.13
I am doing “cf push dockerLattice --docker-image cloudfoundry/lattice-app” and following is my "cf logs dockerLattice --recent"
************************************************************************************************************************************
2015-11-04T13:06:58.71-0700 [API/0] OUT Created app with guid 05c02bed-464a-4c89-948f-9b1cf12144a0
2015-11-04T13:06:58.81-0700 [API/0] OUT Updated app with guid 05c02bed-464a-4c89-948f-9b1cf12144a0 ({"route"=>"b7650962-d25d-446c-a074-c06c1b13d811"})
[...]

[Fail] Docker Application Lifecycle [JustBeforeEach] running the app merges the garden and docker environment variables
[...]

| cf-warden-diego | cf/222+dev.1 | bosh-warden-boshlite-ubuntu-trusty-go_agent/389 | none |
| | diego/0.1439.0+dev.1 | | |
| | etcd/18 | | |
| | garden-linux/0.325.0 | | |

Can somebody help me please.