Date

Re: Packaging CF app as bosh-release

Amit Kumar Gupta

The shared file system aspect is an interesting wrinkle to the problem.
Unless you use some network layer to how you write to the shared file
system, e.g. SSHFS, I think apps will not work because they get isolated to
run in a container, they're given a chroot "jail" for their file system,
and it gets blown away whenever the app is stopped or restarted (which will
commonly happen, e.g. during a rolling deploy of the container-runner VMs).

Do you have something that currently works? How do your VMs currently
access this shared FS? I'm not sure BOSH has the abstractions for choosing
a shared, already-existing "persistent disk" to be attached to multiple
VMs. I also don't know what happens when you scale your VMs down, because
BOSH would generally destroy the associated persistent disk, but you don't
want to destroy the shared data.

Dmitriy, any idea how BOSH can work with a shared filesystem (e.g. HDFS)?

Amit

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 6:54 AM, Kayode Odeyemi <dreyemi(a)gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Amit Gupta <agupta(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Are the spark jobs tasks that you expect to end, or apps that you expect
to run forever?
They are tasks that run forever. The jobs are subscribers to RabbitMQ
queues that process
messages in batches.

Do your jobs need to write to the file system, or do they access a
shared/distributed file system somehow?
The jobs write to shared filesystem.

Do you need things like a static IP allocated to your jobs?
No.

Are your spark jobs serving any web traffic?
No.

Re: Packaging CF app as bosh-release

Paul Bakare

[...]

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 1:32 AM, Kayode Odeyemi <dreyemi(a)gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 5:15 AM, Amit Gupta <amitkgupta84(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Can you say a bit more about what you're trying to do?

I'm working on an experimental analytics project that leverages logsearch
+ Apache Spark.

So instead of having the Spark jobs as apps, I'm thinking of building a
bosh release job for it.

Can possibly package anything but that way application will run inside a
vm rather than on platform.

What are the cons of apps running on VMs instead of warden?

Re: DEA/Warden staging error

Mike Dalessio

Worth noting that the git repo also needs to allow anonymous access. If
it's a private repo, then the 'git clone' is going to fail.

Can you verify that you can download the buildpack from your repo without
authenticating?

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 7:43 PM, CF Runtime <cfruntime(a)gmail.com> wrote:

It's not something we've ever seen before.

In theory, the warden container needs the git binary, which I think it
gets from the cflinuxfs2 stack; and internet access to wherever the git
repo lives.

If the warden container has both of those things, I can't think of any
reason why it wouldn't work.

Joseph
OSS Release Integration Team

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 2:06 PM, kyle havlovitz <kylehav(a)gmail.com> wrote:

I tried deploying via uploading a buildpack to the CC (had to set up
nginx first, I didnt have it running/configured before) and that worked! So
that's awesome, but I'm not sure what the problem with using a remote
buildpack is. Even with nginx, I still get the exact same error as before
when pushing using a remote buildpack from git.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 6:57 AM, CF Runtime <cfruntime(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Looking at the logs, we can see it finishing downloading the app
package. The next step should be to download and run the buildpack. Since
you mention there is no output after this, I'm guessing it doesn't get that
far.

It might be having trouble downloading the buildpack from the remote git
url. Could you try uploading the buildpack to Cloud Controller and then
having it use that buildpack to see if that makes a difference?

http://apidocs.cloudfoundry.org/217/buildpacks/creates_an_admin_buildpack.html

http://apidocs.cloudfoundry.org/217/buildpacks/upload_the_bits_for_an_admin_buildpack.html

Joseph
OSS Release Integration Team

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM, kyle havlovitz <kylehav(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Here's the full dea_ng and warden debug logs:
https://gist.github.com/MrEnzyme/6dcc74174482ac62c1cf

Are there any other places I should look for logs?

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 8:14 PM, CF Runtime <cfruntime(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

That's not an error we normally get. It's not clear if the
staging_info.yml error is the source of the problem or an artifact of it.
Having more logs would allow us to speculate more.

Joseph & Dan
OSS Release Integration Team

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 2:24 PM, kyle havlovitz <kylehav(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

I have the cloudfoundry components built, configured and running on
one VM (not in BOSH), and when I push an app I'm getting a generic 'FAILED
StagingError' message after '-----> Downloaded app package (460K)'.

There's nothing in the logs for the dea/warden that seems suspect
other than these 2 things:

{
"timestamp": 1441985105.8883495,

"message": "Exited with status 1 (35.120s):
[[\"/opt/cloudfoundry/warden/warden/src/closefds/closefds\",
\"/opt/cloudfoundry/warden/warden/src/closefds/closefds\"],
\"/var/warden/containers/18vf956il5v/bin/iomux-link\", \"-w\",
\"/var/warden/containers/18vf956il5v/jobs/8/cursors\",
\"/var/warden/containers/18vf956il5v/jobs/8\"]",
"log_level": "warn",

"source": "Warden::Container::Linux",

"data": {

"handle": "18vf956il5v",

"stdout": "",

"stderr": ""

},

"thread_id": 69890836968240,

"fiber_id": 69890849112480,

"process_id": 17063,

"file":
"/opt/cloudfoundry/warden/warden/lib/warden/container/spawn.rb",
"lineno": 135,

"method": "set_deferred_success"

"timestamp": 1441985105.94083,

"message": "Exited with status 23 (0.023s):
[[\"/opt/cloudfoundry/warden/warden/src/closefds/closefds\",
\"/opt/cloudfoundry/warden/warden/src/closefds/closefds\"], \"rsync\",
\"-e\", \"/var/warden/containers/18vf956il5v/bin/wsh --socket
/var/warden/containers/18vf956il5v/run/wshd.sock --rsh\", \"-r\", \"-p\",
\"--links\", \"vcap(a)container:/tmp/staged/staging_info.yml\",
\"/tmp/dea_ng/staging/d20150911-17093-1amg6y8\"]",
"log_level": "warn",

"source": "Warden::Container::Linux",

"data": {

"handle": "18vf956il5v",

"stdout": "",

"stderr": "rsync: link_stat \"/tmp/staged/staging_info.yml\"
failed: No such file or directory (2)\nrsync error: some files/attrs were
not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1655)
[Receiver=3.1.0]\nrsync: [Receiver] write error: Broken pipe (32)\n"
},

"thread_id": 69890836968240,

"fiber_id": 69890849112480,

"process_id": 17063,

"file":
"/opt/cloudfoundry/warden/warden/lib/warden/container/spawn.rb",
"lineno": 135,

"method": "set_deferred_success"

}

And I think the second error is just during cleanup, only failing
because the staging process didn't get far enough in to create the
'staging_info.yml'. The one about iomux-link exiting with status 1 is
pretty mysterious though and I have no idea what caused it. Does anyone
know why this might be happening?

Re: cc metric: total_users

Klevenz, Stephan <stephan.klevenz@...>

Hi,

I did look deeper into implementation. Actually there are two databases: ccdb and uaadb. Each of them has its own users table. The user count value of the uaadb/users is reported to admin ui and the user count of the ccdb/users is used for total_user metric. A ccdb/users table entry contains just a refid and for getting user details from uaa.

So, we have two totals which can be different if users created for uaa which a not cc users. That's fine and this is what I did get from the first answer.

But there is a remaining open point. The total of our ccdb/users is bigger than total of uaa/users. This is an inconsistency in ccdb/users which contains references to uaa users that do not exist. If this diffs grows over time then this is maybe a problem.

Regards,
Stephan

Von: CF Runtime
Antworten an: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall."
Datum: Mittwoch, 16. September 2015 10:56
An: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall."
Betreff: [cf-dev] Re: Re: Re: Re: cc metric: total_users

The users reported by CloudController.total_users are the users the Cloud Controller has in its database. This is normally the same set of users that exist in UAA.

However, there is nothing that prevents you from creating users via the UAAC cli tool, or creating new UAA clients that can create users themselves.

Joseph
OSS Release Integration Team

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:03 AM, Voelz, Marco <marco.voelz(a)sap.com<mailto:marco.voelz(a)sap.com>> wrote:
Hi John,

thanks for your answer, however, I don’t understand that completely. For the open source version of CF, what does “register in CF console” mean? And what might be an example of “other applications” you are referring to?

Thanks and warm regards
Marco

On 16/09/15 08:29, "Klevenz, Stephan" <stephan.klevenz(a)sap.com<mailto:stephan.klevenz(a)sap.com>> wrote:

Thanks for clarification

-- Stephan

Von: John Liptak
Antworten an: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall."
Datum: Dienstag, 15. September 2015 18:17
An: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall."
Betreff: [cf-dev] Re: cc metric: total_users

Cloud Controller reports the number of users register in CF console. UAAC reports additional users who may have access to other applications. So they are both correct, depending on what you need.

For example, if you call the REST API for a UAAC user that isn't in the CF console, but still call the cloud controller REST API, you will get a 404.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Klevenz, Stephan <stephan.klevenz(a)sap.com<mailto:stephan.klevenz(a)sap.com>> wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question, hopefully a small one :-)

The CloudController.total_users metric (/CF\.CloudController\.0\..*\.total_users/) differs from number of users reported by uaac (uaac users command / admin ui). Can someone explain why this differs or which number is the correct one?

Regards,
Stephan

Re: User cannot do CF login when UAA is being updated

CF Runtime

If you can't get the list to accept the attachment, you can give it to Dies
and he should be able to get it to us.

Joseph
OSS Release Integration Team

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 7:19 PM, Yunata, Ricky <rickyy(a)fast.au.fujitsu.com>
wrote:

Hi Joseph,

Yes that is the case. I have sent my test result but it seems that my
e-mail does not get through. How can I sent attachment in this mailing list?

Regards,

Ricky

Von: John Liptak
Datum: Dienstag, 15. September 2015 18:17
An: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall."

Cloud Controller reports the number of users register in CF console. UAAC
reports additional users who may have access to other applications. So
they are both correct, depending on what you need.

For example, if you call the REST API for a UAAC user that isn't in the CF
console, but still call the cloud controller REST API, you will get a 404.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Klevenz, Stephan <
stephan.klevenz(a)sap.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I have a question, hopefully a small one :-)

The CloudController.total_users metric
(/CF\.CloudController\.0\..*\.total_users/) differs from number of users
reported by uaac (uaac users command / admin ui). Can someone explain why
this differs or which number is the correct one?

Regards,
Stephan

Relationship between HM9000 and router jobs

Sylvain FAUVE

Hello,

My team was working on solving inconsistencies issue on etcd jobs, and realized that two hm9000 jobs were running at same time.
When fixing this, we experienced route loss to our apps (then restage apps was needed).

As far as I could read/understand there is no direct communication between router and hm9000...
Router is getting info from NATS, and NATS gets it from ...? hm9000 ?
I wonder which component is sending routes update to the router to keep them alive ?

Thank you for your help
Regards,
Sylvain.

Re: Packaging CF app as bosh-release

Paul Bakare

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 5:15 AM, Amit Gupta <amitkgupta84(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Can you say a bit more about what you're trying to do?

I'm working on an experimental analytics project that leverages logsearch +
Apache Spark.

So instead of having the Spark jobs as apps, I'm thinking of building a
bosh release job for it.

Can possibly package anything but that way application will run inside a vm
rather than on platform.

What are the cons of apps running on VMs instead of warden?

Re: cc metric: total_users

Marco Voelz

Von: John Liptak
Antworten an: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall."
Datum: Dienstag, 15. September 2015 18:17
An: "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall."

Cloud Controller reports the number of users register in CF console. UAAC reports additional users who may have access to other applications. So they are both correct, depending on what you need.

For example, if you call the REST API for a UAAC user that isn't in the CF console, but still call the cloud controller REST API, you will get a 404.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Klevenz, Stephan <stephan.klevenz(a)sap.com<mailto:stephan.klevenz(a)sap.com>> wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question, hopefully a small one :-)

The CloudController.total_users metric (/CF\.CloudController\.0\..*\.total_users/) differs from number of users reported by uaac (uaac users command / admin ui). Can someone explain why this differs or which number is the correct one?

Regards,
Stephan

Re: Proposal: Decomposing cf-release and Extracting Deployment Strategies

Amit Kumar Gupta

Thanks for the feedback Mike!

Can you tell us more specifically what sort of extensions you need? It
would be great if cf-deployment provided an interface that could serve the
needs of essentially all operators of CF.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 4:02 PM, Mike Youngstrom <youngm(a)gmail.com> wrote:

This is great stuff! My organization currently maintains our own custom
ways to generate manifests, include secure properties, and manage release
versions.

We would love to base the next generation of our solution on
cf-deployment. Have you put any thought into how others might customize or
extend cf-deployment? Our needs are very similar to yours just sometimes a
little different.

Perhaps a private fork periodically merged with a known good release
combination (tag) might be appropriate? Or some way to include the same
tools into a wholly private repo?

Mike

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Amit Gupta <agupta(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Hi all,

The CF OSS Release Integration team (casually referred to as the "MEGA
team") is trying to solve a lot of tightly interrelated problems, and make
many of said problems less interrelated. It is difficult to address just
one issue without touching the others, so the following proposal addresses
several issues, but the most important ones are:

* decompose cf-release into many independently manageable, independently
testable, independently usable releases
* separate manifest generation strategies from the release source, paving
the way for Diego to be part of the standard deployment

This proposal will outline a picture of how manifest generation will work
in a unified manner in development, test, and integration environments. It
will also outline a picture of what each release’s test pipelines will look
like, how they will feed into a common integration environment, and how
feedback from the integration environment will feed back into the test
environments. Finally, it will propose a picture for what the integration
environment will look like, and how we get from the current integration
environment to where we want to be.

For further details, please feel free to view and comment here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Viga_TzUB2nLxN_ILqksmUiILM1hGhq7MBXxgLaUOkY

Thanks,
Amit, CF OSS Release Integration team

Re: Packaging CF app as bosh-release

Ronak Banka

Can possibly package anything but that way application will run inside a vm
rather than on platform.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 12:02 AM, Kayode Odeyemi <dreyemi(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Does it make any sense to package a CF app as boshrelease?

Re: Packaging CF app as bosh-release

Amit Gupta

Yunata, Ricky <rickyy@...>

On Sep 14, 2015, at 9:47 AM, Yitao Jiang <jiangyt.cn(a)gmail.com<mailto:jiangyt.cn(a)gmail.com>> wrote:

On upgrading the deployment, the uaa not working due the uaadb filesystem hangup.Under my environment , the nfs-wal-server's ip changed which causing uaadb,ccdb hang up. Hard reboot the uaadb, restart uaa service solve the issue.

Hopes can help you.

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Yunata, Ricky <rickyy(a)fast.au.fujitsu.com<mailto:rickyy(a)fast.au.fujitsu.com>> wrote:
Hello,

I have a question regarding UAA in Cloud Foundry. I’m currently running Cloud Foundry on Openstack.
I have 2 availability zones and redundancy of the important VMs including UAA.
Whenever I do an upgrade of either stemcell or CF release, user will not be able to do CF login when when CF is updating UAA VM.
My question is, is this a normal behaviour? If I have redundant UAA VM, shouldn’t user still be able to still login to the apps even though it’s being updated?
I’ve done this test a few times, with different CF version and stemcells and all of them are giving me the same result. The latest test that I’ve done was to upgrade CF version from 212 to 215.
Has anyone experienced the same issue?

Regards,
Ricky
Disclaimer

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may contain content that is subject to copyright and/or is commercial-in-confidence and is intended only for the use of the above named addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that dissemination, copying or use of the information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please telephone Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd on + 61 2 9452 9000<tel:%2B%2061%202%209452%209000> or by reply e-mail to the sender and delete the document and all copies thereof.

Whereas Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd would not knowingly transmit a virus within an email communication, it is the receiver’s responsibility to scan all communication and any files attached for computer viruses and other defects. Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd does not accept liability for any loss or damage (whether direct, indirect, consequential or economic) however caused, and whether by negligence or otherwise, which may result directly or indirectly from this communication or any files attached.

If you do not wish to receive commercial and/or marketing email messages from Fujitsu Australia Software Technology Pty Ltd, please email unsubscribe(a)fast.au.fujitsu.com<mailto:unsubscribe(a)fast.au.fujitsu.com>

Yitao
jiangyt.github.io<http://jiangyt.github.io/>

wrote:

[...]

Mike Youngstrom

[...]

Re: valid org, space and service instance name?

Zach Robinson

The regexes you found are correct. From the database for org and space name the max length is 255.

Thanks,
Zach

Re: anomaly in dealing with SharedDomains

Zach Robinson

Hey Nima,

The expected behavior is that neither a Shared nor Private domain can take over an existing domain.

We tried using your example test and found that it passed for both shared and private domains. So we are unable to reproduce a problem here.

Are you actually seeing this happen on a live cloudfoundry?

Thanks,
Zach & Jonathan

[ANN] python-buildpack v1.5.1 released

Mike Dalessio

python-buildpack v1.5.1 has been released!

----

python-buildpack v1.5.1 -
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/python-buildpack/releases/tag/v1.5.1

* Adding support for Python 3.5.0
(https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/103268420)

* Output buildpack information in detect script
(https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/100757820)

Packaged binaries:

| name | version | cf_stacks |
|-------------|---------|------------|