Date

Issues running UAA 2.1.0+ locally and on CF

Josh Ghiloni

Hi all,

We recently put up CF v207 and are trying to deploy UAA into the apps area that we use for SSO between our micro services. Before this, we’d been running 2.0.3 with no issues. However, when I tried to upgrade to 2.2.6, any pages we tried to hit resulted in an HTTP 404 and redirected to the error page, which renders, though all linked stylesheets and images also returned 404s. We reverted to 2.0.3 because we didn’t need anything in the newer version at this time, but it’s an odd issue, and i’m wondering if anyone else has hit it. FWIW, this also happens with ver 2.1.0, and it happens locally (when I run `gradlew run`) as well for those versions.

Does this have anything to do with the introduction of multi-tenancy? Any insights would be appreciated, because the logs aren’t really showing anything. Thanks!

Josh Ghiloni
Senior Consultant
303.932.2202 o | 303.590.5427 m | 303.565.2794 f
jghiloni(a)ecsteam.com<mailto:jghiloni(a)ecsteam.com>

ECS Team
Technology Solutions Delivered
ECSTeam.com<http://ECSTeam.com>

Re: Follow up on multiple line log outputs in CF

George Li

James,

so basically Loggregator does not support such correlation itself and it is
totally left to the downstream processor to do the aggregation, right?
When my service write exception stack trace into the log as follows:

2015-05-18 14:40:41 +0000 WARN
com.pearson.grid.registrar.commonutils.logging.LoggingMessageObserver
[LoggingMessageObserver.java:125] GET http://localhost:3004/ threw
exception: FileNotFoundException -
E:\Src\Registrar\escrow\service\config\version.properties (The system
cannot find the file specified)
java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:138)
com.pearson.grid.registrar.commonutils.Version.readProperties(Version.java:77)

Loggregator sends the following to downstream logstash:

2015-05-18 14:40:41 +0000 [App/0] OUT [escrow] [pool-3-thread-1052] WARN
com.pearson.grid.registrar.commonutils.logging.LoggingMessageObserver
[LoggingMessageObserver.java:142] GET http://escrow.cf.pd-cloud.com/ threw
exception: FileNotFoundException - config\version.properties (No such file
or directory)
2015-05-18 14:40:41 +0000 [App/0] OUT java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native
Method)
2015-05-18 14:40:41 +0000 [App/0] OUT
java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(FileInputStream.java:146)
2015-05-18 14:40:41 +0000 [App/0] OUT
com.pearson.grid.registrar.commonutils.Version.readProperties(Version.java:77)

Ideally we want to keep all these as a single log "event" in the final log.
The way to do this in logstash is to config logstash so it would aggregate
all lines not staring with a timestamp (or any identifiable marker) to
previous lines:

input {
file {
codec => multiline {
pattern => "^%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601} "

So I think my exact question is if there is a similar way to config
loggregator so it does the same thing.

In the previous thread
https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/vcap-dev/B1W6_vO0oyo/84X1eAtFsKoJ,
David Lee said "...As for multiline output, we should have fixed this a
couple of builds back...", I wonder what was really fixed related to
multiline output at that time.

Thanks.

George.

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 8:26 AM, James Bayer <jbayer(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

george,

can you explain the scenario that is impacting you currently? e.g. reading
a java stack trace? the app index is shown in the log line. when using the
loggregator websocket client to retrieve logs you should also get the
application id. perhaps that is enough to correlate whatever UI you have on
top of logstash?

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 7:40 AM, Li, George <guangxing.li(a)pearson.com>

this is a follow up on the archived posting
https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/forum/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/vcap-dev/B1W6_vO0oyo/84X1eAtFsKoJ.
I cannot find any new postings on that thread.
I am using Cloud Foundry version
"6.11.2-2a26d55-2015-04-27T21:11:44+00:00" and want to know what options I
have to handle multiple line logs in a multi-tenant environment. Since
multiple instances of multiple applications are all sending logs to a
single Logstash server, is it best to avoid having multiple lines in my
log? I can live with sticking to single line logs except for outputting
exception stack trace, not to mention that I only have control over my
code.

Limit application instances number

Pablo Alonso Rodriguez <palonsoro@...>

Good morning.

My question is quite simple: Is there any way to set a maximum number of
instances for applications? The idea is to prevent users from scaling an
application beyond a given limit of instances.

Thank you in advance.

Re: [vcap-dev] Java OOM debugging

Dave Head-Rapson

I ran 3 tests over the weekend. These are the results:

- the copy of the application that ran against offline Java buildpack v3 /
tomcat 8.0.21 'crashed' 10 times over the weekend
- the copy of the application that ran against our custom Java buildpack /
tomcat 8.0.22 'crashed' 4 times over the weekend
- the copy of the application than ran against our custom Java buildpack /
tomcat 8.0.18 stayed up all weekend

We're certain this is down to the Tomcat version. Tomcat 8.0.22 doesn't seem
to be much better than 8.0.21 in respect of this memory issue.

Re: Scailing Java Applications

Mike Youngstrom

Love this feature! Thanks JBP team!

Now I have to try really hard to find something in the JBP to complain
about. :)

Mike

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 9:12 AM, Christopher Frost <cfrost(a)pivotal.io>
wrote:

When deploying a Java application to Cloud Foundry the Java memory
settings for the application are decided based on the configured memory
weighting during staging. This means that, unlike other apps, if the
application is scaled to give it more memory it needs to be *restage*d it
to get updated Java memory settings. This has now been improved with an
improved memory calculator written by Steve Powell[2]. The Memory
Calculator[1] will be run during every application start to ensure the
application gets up-to-date memory settings, its output is shown during
staging.

-----> Downloading Open JDK Like Memory Calculator 1.1.1_RELEASE from
https://download.run.pivotal.io/memory-calculator/trusty/x86_64/memory-calculator-1.1.1_RELEASE
(found in cache)
Memory Settings: -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=64M -XX:MetaspaceSize=64M
-Xss995K -Xmx382293K -Xms382293K

Then scaling the application to double the memory will result in new
memory settings without having to restage the application.

cf scale my-application -m 1G

-Xmx768M -Xms768M -XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=104857K -XX:MetaspaceSize=104857K
-Xss1M

This new feature is currently available on the master branch of the
buildpack [3] and will be released in due course.

Chris.

[1] https://github.com/cloudfoundry/java-buildpack-memory-calculator
[2] https://github.com/Zteve
[3] https://github.com/cloudfoundry/java-buildpack

--
Christopher Frost - Pivotal UK

Re: Understanding the external network access in Diego

James Bayer

this setting is because we assume multi-tenant installations. it is
strongly recommended that operators should have their cf configurations and
application security group configurations setup to only allow outbound
connectivity from in containers to other containers by going through the cf
load balancer and not be directly connecting to other cell host/port
mappings of application instances.

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 1:52 AM, Lev Berman <lev.berman(a)altoros.com> wrote:

Hello, everyone!

I have a Diego application. From the app's Garden container I can access
the Internet and establish connections with tcp services running on other
VMs but I can't connect to a tcp service running on the same VM until I
allow the container to access external networks via the Garden API -
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/garden/blob/master/doc/garden-api.md#allow-a-container-to-access-external-networks-and-ports.
Also, I've created CF security groups to allow tcp traffic for all VMs I am
trying to connect to.

My questions are is this an expected functionality and what is the idea of
the "allow the container to access external networks" API call since it
only affects access to the same VM?

Lev Berman

Altoros - Cloud Foundry deployment, training and integration

Github
*: https://github.com/ldmberman <https://github.com/ldmberman>*

Re: - About services w.r.t orgs and spaces

James Bayer

inline

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 11:03 PM, Kinjal Doshi <kindoshi(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I wanted to understand if orgs and spaces in Pivotal CF contribute towards
accessing services from:
"Pivotal Cloud Foundry" uses open source cloud foundry, so the same
behavior would be in both.

1. Applications deployed in different spaces of same org and

applications can only be directly bound to services in their own space.
you could take credentials from a service in another space and create a
user-provided-service in the space you want to use. however, changing /
deleting the original service would not be directly connected to the
user-provided-service clone you created.

1.
2. Application deployed in different orgs altogether. (spaces would be
different here by default, right?)

yes, an app in a different org from an org/space where a service is would
be in a different org by default and the above still response still applies.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,

Kinjal

[...]

thanks steve! that's a nice addition to the java buildpack. i think all
java developers have experienced the pain of managing memory explicitly
with -X and -XX args at one point or another. having built-in sane defaults
that auto-adjust is hopefully one less thing java developers have to worry
about when using the java buildpack.

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 8:12 AM, Christopher Frost <cfrost(a)pivotal.io>
wrote:

[...]

Re: ASP.NET 5 buildpack now in cloudfoundry-community

Wayne E. Seguin

Great to see this!!!

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Jack Cai <greensight(a)gmail.com> wrote:

We just open sourced a buildpack that can run the latest ASP.NET 5
applications [1]. ASP.NET 5 is a major redesign of ASP.NET [2]. This is
also a key difference from the existing .net buildpack [3].

Right now this buildpack still uses Mono[4] emulation layer, but we expect
it to switch to the .Net core CLR for Linux [5] once it becomes more
viable.

We hope you have a chance to try it and give us feedback. ASP.NET 5 is
rapidly evolving and you can help influence how the buildpack grows with it.

Thanks!

Jack

[1] https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/asp.net5-buildpack
[2] http://docs.asp.net/en/latest/conceptual-overview/aspnet.html
[3] https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/.net-buildpack
[4] http://www.mono-project.com/
[5] https://github.com/dotnet/coreclr

UAA Release 2.3.0

Sree Tummidi

Hi All,
We are pleased to announce the release of UAA 2.3.0. Please find the
release details below:

*Features*

- Updated Spring Versions
<https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/93706906>: Spring 4.1.x,
Spring Security 3.2 latest, Spring Security OAuth 2.0.x latest, Tomcat
Version 7.0.x latest
- Both LDAP and internal user store authentication should be allowed to
be set in an enabled state in an Identity Zone
<https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/92369926>
- Hide Create Account and Reset Password link if client is not
associated with internal user store authentication
<https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/92083260>

View it on GitHub <https://github.com/cloudfoundry/uaa/releases/tag/2.3.0>.
In addition to this we have also added support for New Relic Monitoring &
Updated the JRE version to 1.7 which will be available in the next version
of cf-release

Thanks,
Sree Tummidi
Sr. Product Manager
Identity - Pivotal Cloud Foundry

Re: visual studio extension - login error

Vlad Iovanov

Thank you Jon, I'll test against a similar deployment and I'll let you know what I find.

Cheers,
Vlad

From: Jack Cai <greensight(a)gmail.com>
To: cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org
Date: 05/15/2015 03:19 PM
Subject: [cf-dev] ASP.NET 5 buildpack now in cloudfoundry-community
Sent by: cf-dev-bounces(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org
------------------------------

We just open sourced a buildpack that can run the latest *ASP.NET*
<http://asp.net/> 5 applications [1]. *ASP.NET* <http://asp.net/> 5 is a
major redesign of *ASP.NET* <http://asp.net/> [2]. This is also a key

<http://asp.net/> 5 is rapidly evolving and you can help influence how

[4] *http://www.mono-project.com/* <http://www.mono-project.com/>
[...]

Re: Code license question

Mike Dalessio

Hi Piotr,

The cloudfoundry-community github org is open to anyone in the community
who'd like to publicize their code. I don't believe there are any strict
guidelines around the license that should be applied; and in fact this code
is explicitly **not** owned by the CF Foundation.

Instead, this code is owned by its authors and contributors. I'd suggest
that you open a Github Issue on the repo asking for a license to be
explicilty declared, either in the README or in a separate LICENSE file.
Usually authors are very willing to do so once asked.

Cheers,
-mike

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 9:56 AM, <peteb(a)wp.pl> wrote:

Hello,

I am a software developer and was wondering what is the code license for
your CloudFoundry Community Code, such as: the go cfc client:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/go-cfclient ?

Thanks,
kind regards,
Piotr

Re: visual studio extension - login error

Mike Dalessio

Hi Jon,

Just for context, the VS extension was only this week open-sourced by HP
and put into the CF incubator.

I expect this issue is arising because the VS extension was developed to
run with HP Helion, which has followed its own evolutionary path from a
previous version of CF, and so it has not been tested against CF edge.

As the Foundation and HP work together to incubate this project in earnest,
we'll work through these support issues and get it working with current
versions of CF.

I expect these speed bumps will get addressed quickly, and so thanks in
advance for your patience.

-m

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 6:40 PM, Price, Jon <jon.price(a)intel.com> wrote:

We have been trying to use the visual studio extension from
https://github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/cf-vs-extension but get an
error when logging in.

Unexpected character encountered while parsing value: <. Path “. Line 0
position 0.

The error message in the uaa logs come from the filter called
BackwardsCompatibleTokenEndpointAuthenticationFilter in the uaa code:

[2015-05-14 20:26:41.209] uaa - 14916 [http-bio-8080-exec-9] .... DEBUG
--- BackwardsCompatibleTokenEndpointAuthenticationFilter: Authentication
request for failed:
org.springframework.security.authentication.BadCredentialsException: No
client authentication found. Remember to put a filter upstream of the
TokenEndpointAuthenticationFilter.

[2015-05-14 20:26:41.211] uaa - 14916 [http-bio-8080-exec-9] .... DEBUG
--- DefaultOAuth2ExceptionRenderer: Written [error="unauthorized",
error_description="No client authentication found. Remember to put a filter
upstream of the TokenEndpointAuthenticationFilter."] as "application/json"
using
[org.springframework.http.converter.json.MappingJacksonHttpMessageConverter(a)60f269ce
]

Has anyone else tried the cf-vs-extention on their private CF environments
and have you seen this problem?

*Jon Price*

Intel Corp

Re: Problem for Chaos Lemur

Paul Harris

Hi Stephen,

DRYRUN mode does everything the same as normal operation *except* for the
actual deletion, so if Chaos Lemur is reporting unexpected names it's a
problem with some other part of your config, not DRYRUN. From your
environment variables it seems you haven't configured it to access your
underlying infrastructure, either AWS or VSphere. You need to provide
credentials[1] for one of those:

AWS_ACCESSKEYID & AWS_SECRETACCESSKEY, or

VSPHERE_HOST & VSPHERE_PASSWORD & VSPHERE_USERNAME

Give that a go and it should work, but be aware that if DRYRUN is not true
then you will lose VMs!

Cheers, Paul

[1]: https://github.com/pivotal-cf/chaos-lemur#environment-variables