Re: Updates from the world of .NET! πŸŽ‰

Dr Nic Williams <drnicwilliams@...>

Thanks William & Zach. Your answers are very helpful.

Nic

From: cf-dev@... <cf-dev@...> on behalf of A William Martin <amartin@...>
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2018 12:20:02 PM
To: cf-dev@...
Subject: Re: [cf-dev] Updates from the world of .NET! πŸŽ‰
I'm sorry to belabor this point, but just to be clear, there *is* a UI, it’s just different... I've included a screenshot while RDPing into a Windows 2016 cell deployed on Cloud Foundry on GCP. You can see there is a UI with a terminal windows with Powershell, the task manager and config window spawned, and a few hints of the container technology with Get-ComputeProcess run and winc, our Garden runtime OCI-compliant container plugin, shown. Those are the app instances deployed to this cf-deployment.

Thus, Dr. Nic, you can indeed still use RDP and get a physical UI, but it only contains a single command terminal. And Zach is right, you need to be more command-line savvy to navigate to the UIs you're accustomed to, and not all of them are available. But as some of our colleagues have noted before, you can do anything in Powershell. :-)

As a bonus, we also provide a windows-utilities-release to enable RDP and perform other Windows-specific operations (like KMS activation). The stemcells are quite secure by default.

I don't want to detract from Ash's call for feedback, though. The consumption of .NET on CF is entering a golden era, and we're eager to hear what the community needs!

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 7:41 PM Zach Brown <zbrown@...> wrote:
It's true, no UI, but...

You've got `bosh ssh`, `cf ssh`, remote server debugging with Visual Studio, and Windows Event Log forwarding.Β

Not sure if you're comfortable at a command line, Dr. Nic, but it's what all the cool kids are doing these days. (Well, that and emoji.)

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 7:49 AM, A William Martin <amartin@...> wrote:
The 2016 stemcells are based on Windows Server Core, so not a "full" UI like you'd usually expect. The UI in Server Core does exist, but it's rather stripped down and starts with a single command prompt. To open new windows you need to spawn them manually. There's no iconic desktop.

William

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 5:46 PM, Dr Nic Williams <drnicwilliams@...> wrote:
So many emoji!

Question re 2016 stemcell - will it have any Windows UI components? When I was working with the 2012 stemcell, and we needed to use RDP to get access to the VM, we needed the Windows UI. But I think the 2016 stemcell back then did not have Windows UI. Am I wrong about that; and/or does 2016 stemcell now have Windows UI?

Zach Brown | Product Marketing and Strategy

650-954-0427 - mobile

zbrown@...