Re: changing cf CLI trace stream from stdout to stderr

Daniel Mikusa

Sorry, I didn't explain that very well. Let me try again. In the simplest
case where you're watch it from a terminal / console, yes it would be the
same.

A few cases where this might be an issue:

- bosh errand or CI system is running cf on your behalf and capturing the
output. Display is often STDOUT / STDERR separate.
- when troubleshooting with a user, it's easy to say run `CF_TRACE=true cf
... > full_output.txt`. I suppose this could be done with `CF_TRACE=true
cf ... &> full_output.txt`, but I'm not sure what I'd do on a Windows
system (without bash).

Ultimately I just want something in the cli to get normal output mixed with
trace output in the order things happen to build a timeline for
troubleshooting purposes. It has always annoyed me a bit that
`CF_TRACE=some-file.txt cf ...` doesn't do this (last time I looked, it
just logs trace info, not cli output), but with the current behavior of the
cli it's easy enough to workaround (redirect all to file). If the behavior
changes, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be slightly
harder / more annoying to build the sequence of commands when
troubleshooting.

Hope that explains my concern a bit better.

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 4:37 AM, Koper, Dies <diesk(a)fast.au.fujitsu.com>
wrote:

Hi Dan,

How would that experience be different if trace went to stderr? Wouldn’t
the stream of HTTP messages display inline with the cli output in the same
way?

Cloud Foundry Product Manager - CLI