Re: FW: issue tracker permissions

Guillaume Berche

Thanks Lisa for considering this extra feature to avoid the per-project
invite. I understand an explicit action would still be requested to become
a member of the account owning the CFF projects, for any one willing to
follow, or add projects to workspaces.

The CF community is quite large, so it's possible hundreds of people will
request this. That's be great to have a "request to join owner account"
button, as to avoid wasting time through email requests to the project
owner.

In the meantime until the community gets these self-service accesses, I'll
try maintaining the trackermirror up as a hacky workaround. Please let me
know if ever this causes troubles/inconveniences.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 9:41 PM, Lisa Doan <ldoan(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Hi Guillaume,

You need to be invited to be a viewer or member on projects before you can
add them to workspaces. In those screenshots, the only projects appearing
are ones that you are a member or viewer of. In order to have the CF public
projects appear there, you must be invited to the projects.

I understand that it would be burdensome to ask all of the project owners
to invite you to the relevant projects. We are currently working on a
feature that will allow any account member to self-join projects so that
this isn't as difficult. This would require you to become a member of the
account that owns the CF public projects, but once you are a member, you
could join any of the shared or public projects. We expect that to release
later this year (it is part of the body of work that is ahead of Viewers
can follow).

Thanks,
Lisa

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 7:21 AM, Guillaume Berche <bercheg(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi Lisa,

I double checked, and I still am unable to add public cloudfoundry
tracker projects to my workspaces to be able to search mutiple trackers.
See screenshots below (I'm a reader member of CLI project following kind
invite by Dies Koper). There must be something I got wrong, I'd welcome
help or documentation pointers, and confirmation by other CF community
members that they are able to create such workspaces without being member
of the CF public projects.

https://www.pivotaltracker.com/n/workspaces/655995

[image: Inline image 1]

[image: Inline image 2]

Guillaume.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 12:45 AM, Lisa Doan <ldoan(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Hi Guillaume,

Workspaces can only contain projects that the user is a member OR viewer
of. It is already possible now for a user who is only a viewer of the
public cloudfoundry tracker projects to include those projects in their
workspaces.

Does that answer your question?

Thanks,
Lisa

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Guillaume Berche <bercheg(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Thanks Lisa for the additional precisions.

Related to the use of workspaces to search across multiple public
pivotal trackers, I understand a workspace can only contain projects the
logged in user is member of. Is there a possibility that I missed to add
the public cloudfoundry tracker projects (whose non core contributors are
not member of), or would that be a feature enabled along with the upcoming
"viewers can follow" feature ?

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Lisa Doan <ldoan(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Hi Guillaume,

Yes, once Viewers can follow, they'll be able to set notifications
like any project member can. That is, they'll be able to get notifications
on an entire project. Commenting, however, would continue to be restricted
to project members.

Searching across multiple Tracker projects is already possible with
Workspaces
<http://www.pivotaltracker.com/help/articles/managing_multiple_projects_workspaces/>,
but we understand that this feature is limited by not being able to share
workspaces across users. In 2017, we hope to begin building in better
cross-project or portfolio visibility.

Thanks,
Lisa

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 12:00 AM, Guillaume Berche <bercheg(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Thanks Lisa, the "Viewers can follow" feature will be very useful to
the CF community. I plan to redact the GH issue mirrors as to reduce the
confusion caused by implicit cross links between issues that Marco reminded
(see related [a]). When the "Viewers can follow" feature is available,
there will be no more value in discovering GH issues mirrors.

Are there future plans in the tracker to enable viewers to get
notifications for all stories in the backlog ? If not, the promising stack
integration [4], which requires PT project owners to configure the Slack
webhook URL, could help. With collaboration from owners of the Foundation
trackers, this could result into a slack channel per PT project, where
community members can watch related activity, much like what the buildpacks
team have already set up into [b].

The remaining added value for the mirrored GH issues will then be:
- community members "commenting" backlogs in context.
- searching across multiple PT projects

Is the tracker team also planning to address the latter two use-cases
?

Thanks again,

[a] https://github.com/orange-cloudfoundry/pivotaltrackermirror/
issues/1#issuecomment-238706510
[b] https://cloudfoundry.slack.com/messages/buildpacks-firehose/
[4] https://cloudfoundry.slack.com/apps/A0F82E7H8-pivotal-tracker
"On that page, find the *Activity Web Hook* section. Add
https://hooks.slack.com/services/T02FL4A1X/B2GRZUQ56/zEswA2U
fbCcJl31fCw3DLDq4 as your Web Hook URL. Ensure that the API Version
is set to v5 and then click *Save Web Hook Settings*."

Guillaume.

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 6:26 PM, Lisa Doan <ldoan(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Hi all -- a couple people reached out asking for a date for Viewers
can follow. We are currently targeting November of this year.

Thanks,
Lisa

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Lisa Doan <ldoan(a)pivotal.io>

Just to re-iterate, we do have this feature prioritized on the
Tracker team. I'm sorry we haven't been able to deliver this yet, but there
are a number of other higher priority items that we must attend to before
we can begin this work. We will keep you posted as we get closer to
implementing this.

Thanks,
Lisa

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 12:54 AM, Voelz, Marco <marco.voelz(a)sap.com
wrote:
Dear Guillaume,

Thanks for your efforts in this direction. As I already stated
before, it is really a pain that you are not able to follow stories or
comment when not being a member in a Pivotaltracker project. However,
github issues aren’t more than a crutch, probably not even a good one.

For example, GH issues cannot be ordered. They are in the order of
creation, priorization is not visible. Therefore, if you look e.g. at the
BOSH mirror [1], there are a bunch of “unstarted” and “unscheduled” issues,
the first “started” one comes on page 2. For bugs, it gets more confusing.
Most people have the github bot activated, which creates a PT story for
each GH issue created. This is already confusing, because you have two
places where potentially updates to this bug could be located in, and
nobody knows where to look. Add in the mirroring, and now you have three
places, see an example for the buildpacks [2]. All of this is not your
fault, it is a restriction on how GH deals with issues and the fact that
we’re distributing information over more than one place.

While I appreciate your efforts and time spent on this: I strongly
feel that is an issue that can only be solved by one of two options:
• The Pivotaltracker team implementing the necessary functionality
• Migrating to a different tracker

I’m trying all I can to push for the first option by talking to
Dan and Lisa, but other features seem to be more important to the PT team.
In November, it has been a year since I asked for this, so my confidence
isn’t very high that it is going to happen at all. For me that just means
option two is getting more and more realistic every day.

[1] https://github.com/cf-tm-bot/bosh/issues
[2] https://github.com/cloudfoundry/staticfile-buildpack/issues/85