From: Amit Gupta [mailto:agupta(a)pivotal.io]
Sent: Monday, March 14, 2016 11:10 PM
To: Nithiyasri Gnanasekaran -X (ngnanase - TECH MAHINDRA LIM at Cisco) <ngnanase(a)cisco.com>
Cc: Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall. <cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>; Jayarajan Ramapurath Kozhummal (jayark) <jayark(a)cisco.com>
Subject: Re: Reg the minimal-openstack yml files

Using the DNS hostname of consul instead of the IP will not work in CF v230. It should work in v231.

Open source Cloud Foundry does not guarantee direct upgrades between non-consecutive versions. I have no way to tell you if 205 to 230 will work. Some proprietary distributions of CF from certified vendors do support slower upgrade cadences.

I'm sorry, but it looks as though you're asking 5 or 6 different questions, and with the change in color, boldness, underline, etc. I find it very difficult to follow.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Nithiyasri Gnanasekaran -X (ngnanase - TECH MAHINDRA LIM at Cisco) <ngnanase(a)cisco.com<mailto:ngnanase(a)cisco.com>> wrote:
Hi Amit

We are trying to upgrade cf-205 to cf-230. So I have checked out with the commit id of cf-230.yml and I could generate the manifest using the generate_deployment_manifest script for our stub.
While deploying , consul_z1 job was not started, though all the other jobs are running.

Consul Logs below ::

consul_agent.stdout.log::

{"timestamp":"1457972549.805328369","source":"confab","message":"confab.agent-client.verify-joined.members.not-joined","log_level":2,"data":{"error":"no expected members","members":["10.20.0.116"],"wan":false}}

consul_agent.stderr.log::

++ tee -a /var/vcap/sys/log/consul_agent/consul_agent.stdout.log
error booting consul agent: timeout exceeded

Properties in yml:

consul:
agent:
log_level: INFO
servers:
lan:
- 0.consul-z1.ccc-bosh-net.<%= $deployment_name %>.microbosh
require_ssl: false

Please note that 10.20.0.116 will resolve to lan member dns name. As we don’t use static ip, we have given the dns hostname of the consul and the corresponding ip is picked by the consul job too..

I also have included the consul_agent template in haproxy job as stated by you in the below mail threadhttps://lists.cloudfoundry.org/archives/list/cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org/thread/FCWBMKVOZSI4D6RBTOHL3JL42JN2LCRS/#4OW3HWF55O7TQRRM4UEQFHT4OPCNV7NB

I have another question:

Pls let me know is it possible to upgrade a deployment of cf-205 to cf-230, with the updated yml file. With cf-230 release, new jobs like api_z1,uaa, hm9000, clock_global, etc have been added and cloud_controller, dea, etc have been removed.. Will the upgrade, remove the unwanted jobs and create new jobs ? or a fresh deployment of cf-230 is only possible?

We do cf push few apps into dea vms in our existing deployment. With the new cf-230, will metron agent accept cf push of apps?

Thank you very much for your support.

Regards
Nithiyasri

From: Amit Gupta <agupta(a)pivotal.io<mailto:agupta(a)pivotal.io>>
Date: Monday, March 7, 2016 at 12:24 PM
To: "Nithiyasri Gnanasekaran -X (ngnanase - TECH MAHINDRA LIM at Cisco)" <ngnanase(a)cisco.com<mailto:ngnanase(a)cisco.com>>
Cc: Rohit Kumar <rokumar(a)pivotal.io<mailto:rokumar(a)pivotal.io>>, Jayarajan Ramapurath Kozhummal <jayark(a)cisco.com<mailto:jayark(a)cisco.com>>, "Discussions about Cloud Foundry projects and the system overall." <cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org<mailto:cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>>

We're not likely to be able to create and maintain a new minimal manifest any time soon.

As for generating the manifest, you can look at these docs for what needs to go into the OpenStack stub as of the latest release:

http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/deploying/openstack/cf-stub.html

Combining this with updating your current template guided by the errors is a good way to generate the manifest. This is not guaranteed to work for 100% of use cases, e.g. if you want to use all floating IPs instead of static IPs. But it is a good starting point.

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 4:09 AM, Nithiyasri Gnanasekaran -X (ngnanase - TECH MAHINDRA LIM at Cisco) <ngnanase(a)cisco.com<mailto:ngnanase(a)cisco.com>> wrote:
Hi

We are trying to upgrade our deployment with the latest cloud-foundry, from 205 to 230 release, as per your advice.

We could see minimal-aws.yml available in the GIT repo. Can we have a similar one available for openstack environment, with which we can deploy the basic cloud foundry and do our custom changes on top of it

Parallely we are updating our stub to match the template yml files guided by the errors given by the generate_deployment_manifest script. Kindly let us know if this is the correct way to generate the manifest.

Regards
Nithiyasri