Re: scheduler

Corentin Dupont <corentin.dupont@...>

Some other questions:
- is there a consolidation mechanism? From what I can see from the videos,
Diego is only doing load balancing when allocating an application to a DEA.
What is more important to us is to consolidate: we want to minimize the
number of DEAs.
Is there an extensibility mechanism to the scheduler?

- is there an auto-scaling mechanism? I'm thinking of auto-scaling at two
levels:
At application level, it would be nice to have auto-scaling in the
manifest.yml: if some KPI goes up, launch more instances.
At DEA level, a bit like in bosh-scaler: if DEAs are full, launch a new one.

Thanks!!
Corentin

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 5:25 PM, Onsi Fakhouri <ofakhouri(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Diego is very much usable at this point and we're encouraging beta testers
to start putting workloads on it. Check out
github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/diego for all things Diego.

Diego supports one off tasks. It's up to the consumer (e.g. Cloud
Controller) to submit the tasks when they want them run. We'd like to
bubble this functionality up to the CC but it's not a very high priority at
the moment.

Onsi

Sent from my iPad

On May 26, 2015, at 8:21 AM, Corentin Dupont <
corentin.dupont(a)create-net.org> wrote:

Another question, what is the status of Diego? Is there an expected date
for its release?
Is it useable already?
If I understand correctly, Diego doesn't supports cron-like jobs, but will
facilitate them?

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 5:08 PM, James Bayer <jbayer(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

those are exciting use cases, thank you for sharing the background!

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 2:37 AM, Corentin Dupont <cdupont(a)create-net.org>
wrote:

Hi James, thanks for the answer!
We are interested to implement a job scheduler for CF. Do you think this
could be interesting to have?

We are working in a project called DC4Cities (http://www.dc4cities.eu)
were the objective is to make data centres use more renewable energy.
We want to use PaaS frameworks such as CloudFoundry to achieve this goal.
The idea is to schedule some PaaS tasks at the moment there is more
renewable energies (when the sun is shining).

That's why I had the idea to implement a job scheduler for batch jobs in
CF. For example one could state "I need to have this task to run for 2
hours per day" and the scheduler could choose when to run it.

Another possibility is to have application-oriented SLA implemented at
CF level. For example if some KPIs of the application are getting too low,
CF would spark a new container. If the SLA is defined with some
flexibility, it could also be used to schedule renewable energies. For
example in our trial scenarios we have an application that convert images.
Its SLA says that it needs to convert 1000 images per day, but you are free
to produce them when you want i.e. when renewable energies are available...

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 7:29 PM, James Bayer <jbayer(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

there is ongoing work to support process types using buildpacks, so
that the same application codebase could be used for multiple different
types of processes (web, worker, etc).

once process types and diego tasks are fully available, we expect to
implement a user-facing api for running batch jobs as application processes.

what people do today is run a long-running process application which
uses something like quartz scheduler [1] or ruby clock with a worker system
like resque [2]

[1] http://quartz-scheduler.org/
[2] https://github.com/resque/resque-scheduler

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 6:19 AM, Corentin Dupont <
cdupont(a)create-net.org> wrote:

To complete my request, I'm thinking of something like this in the
manifest.yml:

applications:
- name: virusscan
memory: 512M
instances: 1

*schedule: - startFrom : a date endBefore : a
date walltime : a duration*
* precedence : other application name moldable :
true/false*

What do you think?

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 11:25 AM, Corentin Dupont <