Configuring bosh-agent to connect to a multi-machine nats cluster

Prysmakou Aliaksandr <aliaksandr.prysmakou@...>

Hi Allan,
I suppose it is better to consider your design again.
It is not good idea to make management system (bosh) dependent on managed system (cf).

Alex Prysmakou / Altoros
Tel: (617) 841-2121 ext. 5161 | Toll free: 855-ALTOROS
Skype: aliaksandr.prysmakou
www.altoros.com<http://www.altoros.com/> | blog.altoros.com<http://blog.altoros.com/> | twitter.com/altoros<http://twitter.com/altoros>

On Jul 1, 2015, at 2:30 AM, Espinosa, Allan | Allan | OPS <allan.espinosa(a)rakuten.com<mailto:allan.espinosa(a)rakuten.com>> wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking of connecting our bosh-agents to the NATS cluster provided in cf-release instead after the initial bootstrap like the following:

* deploy director together with the single NATS in bosh-release
* deploy cf-release' nats cluster
* re-deploy director with the nats job removed and point the manifest to the nats cluster instead.

However, I see in the bosh-release manifest that you can only specify a single machine. How can we specify in the bosh-release manifest a multi-machine cluster like the ones in cf-release?

Thanks
Allan

Allan Espinosa

Well my intention is to have the nats the director and agent is depending on be HA.

I can use the nats job in bosh-release and do a binary bosh setup as well.

[...]

You may consider deployment of microbosh then using this microbosh to deploy multy-VM BOSH (with nats cluster etc.)

On Jul 1, 2015, at 9:36 AM, Espinosa, Allan | Allan | OPS <allan.espinosa(a)rakuten.com<mailto:allan.espinosa(a)rakuten.com>> wrote:

[...]

Hi Alex,

Yup. We have that kind of setup now actually.

My problem now is getting the bosh-release manifest to accept multiple machines so that the agents can pick it up.

[...]

Ahh, I got what you mean. Yes I also do not see support of nats cluster in bosh but is it actually needed?
Nats may be repaired from e.g. snapshots in minutes so isn't it fit your requirements?

On Jul 1, 2015, at 9:59 AM, Espinosa, Allan | Allan | OPS <allan.espinosa(a)rakuten.com<mailto:allan.espinosa(a)rakuten.com>> wrote:

[...]

So, in the case when nats goes down, how does the ressurector try to recover deployments?

So micro bosh will resurrect the nats instances.

But my multi-bosh will see all deployments as down because it doesn't get heartbeats from nats (there's no nats at all!) . Will the whole deployments of my multi-bosh setup will be recreated ?

At this point I'm not yet sure how will that impact my deployment.

[...]

If I get it right your multi VM bosh deployment doesn't do anything until nats restored.
It can't recreate any deployment until it's own components restored.

On Jul 1, 2015, at 10:27 AM, Espinosa, Allan | Allan | OPS <allan.espinosa(a)rakuten.com<mailto:allan.espinosa(a)rakuten.com>> wrote:

[...]

I’ll make sure I at least have a second nats for my meta bosh so things can be booted around.