AWS DNS resolution + micro bosh

Sumanth Yamala <Sumanth.Yamala@...>

Hi ,

I am using the features of BOSH DNS resolution. Deployed a microbosh. In my deployment manifest I specify for a default network to use 10.0.0.6 as my DNS.

The behavior is: in AWS
It is able to resolve BOSH deployed VM DNS like "0.docker.default.docker-sample.microbosh" but it is unable to resolve yahoo.com. How can I fix this behavior so that this resolves both.

In OpenStack I had a similar issue - I had to put properties:dns:recursor with the name server that resolves the company network and the "www" to get around this.

How do I solve this for AWS?

Thanks,
Sumanth

Dmitriy Kalinin

You should be able to use dns.recursor exactly the same way on AWS as you
did on OpenStack.

Btw AWS provides 10.0.0.2 address in your subnet as a full DNS.

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 11:43 AM, Sumanth Yamala <Sumanth.Yamala(a)sas.com>
wrote:

Hi ,

I am using the features of BOSH DNS resolution. Deployed a microbosh. In
my deployment manifest I specify for a default network to use 10.0.0.6 as
my DNS.

The behavior is: in AWS

It is able to resolve BOSH deployed VM DNS like
“0.docker.default.docker-sample.microbosh” but it is unable to resolve
yahoo.com. How can I fix this behavior so that this resolves both.

In OpenStack I had a similar issue – I had to put properties:dns:recursor
with the name server that resolves the company network and the “www” to get
around this.

How do I solve this for AWS?

Thanks,

Sumanth

Sumanth Yamala <Sumanth.Yamala@...>

I tried putting 10.0.0.2 as my dns.recursor…I am still having issues with DNS resolution on nodes which use network with DNS entry of micro-bosh (10.0.0.6) for the other nodes provisioned there is no issue.

Thanks,
Sumanth

It is able to resolve BOSH deployed VM DNS like “0.docker.default.docker-sample.microbosh” but it is unable to resolve yahoo.com<http://yahoo.com>. How can I fix this behavior so that this resolves both.

In OpenStack I had a similar issue – I had to put properties:dns:recursor with the name server that resolves the company network and the “www” to get around this.

How do I solve this for AWS?

Thanks,
Sumanth

Dmitriy Kalinin

Does it not work at all or is some error is shown?

wrote:

Hi ,

I am using the features of BOSH DNS resolution. Deployed a microbosh. In
my deployment manifest I specify for a default network to use 10.0.0.6 as
my DNS.

The behavior is: in AWS

It is able to resolve BOSH deployed VM DNS like
“0.docker.default.docker-sample.microbosh” but it is unable to resolve
yahoo.com. How can I fix this behavior so that this resolves both.

In OpenStack I had a similar issue – I had to put properties:dns:recursor
with the name server that resolves the company network and the “www” to get
around this.

How do I solve this for AWS?

Thanks,

Sumanth

Sumanth Yamala <Sumanth.Yamala@...>

There is no error. That VM hangs when I execute apt-get update or do a traceroute to Yahoo.

Thanks
Sumanth

Sent from my iPhone

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Sumanth Yamala <Sumanth.Yamala(a)sas.com<mailto:Sumanth.Yamala(a)sas.com>> wrote:
[...]

John Wong

By hanging I supposed eventually timeout? If so...you sure you have the
routing table configured for that subnet of your VPC? Create a vm in the
same subnet and try if you get the same hanging.