Date
Re: Incubation proposal: HuaweiCloud CPI

jun zhong

Hi  Guillaume,

Add a little additional description. The original OpenStack network model is network, subnet, and router. The simplified network simplified model is vpc, subnet in Huawei Public Cloud console.
so we add the new property named 'subnet_id', and the Port is not required in Huawei Public Cloud network API.
Is this clear to you?

Thanks
JUN

Hi Guillaume,

All I said that network model APIs changes or how to choose CPI are about Huawei Public Cloud itself, not Huawei cloud powered Orange Flexible Engine.

Thanks
JUN

Hi Jun,

Thanks for your response.

> If you are familiar with OpenStack, you can still choose to use openstack CPI.
> If you are familiar with Huawei cloud console, we recommend using HuaweiCloud CPI.

I'm not sure to understand how familiarity with cloud console relates to which CPI flavor to choose.

Can you please clarify what additional features would usage of huaweicloud CPI would provide w.r.t. straight usage of openstack CPI to access Huawei Public Cloud itself or Huawei cloud powered Orange Flexible Engine?

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 11:43 AM jun zhong <jun.zhongjun2@...> wrote:
Hi  MarcoGuillaume,

@Marco, Thanks for your arrangement.

@Guillaume

Yeah, The OpenStack CPI is work on Huawei cloud powered Orange Flexible Engine, but the
HuaweiCloud CPI is work on Huawei Public Cloud itself[1]. There are differences between the HuaweiCloud
console and OpenStack API models, some users are not aware of the relationship between them,
and it is difficult for people who are familiar with the console.

If you are familiar with OpenStack, you can still choose to use openstack CPI.
If you are familiar with Huawei cloud console, we recommend using HuaweiCloud CPI.

We changed the part of code about network mode in huaweicloud CPI [1],
we use our own network mode APIs instead of openstack newtork mode APIs,
and the Port is not required for HuaweiCloud, the new property is 'subnet_id', and so on.

Thanks
JUN

Dear JUN,

Thanks for the proposal. I'm asking everyone for feedback until August 31st: Make yourself heard, start discussions and make sure to ask the questions you have until that deadline. If there are no outstanding major discussion points, we will proceed with voting for incubation in the week after that.

From: <cf-bosh@...g> on behalf of jun zhong <jun.zhongjun2@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21. August 2018 at 11:20
To: "cf-bosh@...g" <cf-bosh@...g>
Subject: [cf-bosh] Incubation proposal: HuaweiCloud CPI

Hi all,

We want to propose the HuaweiCloud CPI for incubation in the BOSH PMC.
https://lists.cloudfoundry.org/g/cf-bosh/message/2532?p=,,,20,0,0,0::Created,,Huaweicloud,20,2,0,23810700

The HuaweiCloud Bosh CPI [1] and configuration items for bosh [6] and cf [7] is ready now.  The Bosh HuaweiCloud CPI is used in our internal product.

We also add CI testing (CF HuaweiCloud Validator[3] [4] and BOSH Acceptance Tests (BATS)[2] ) to check if Huaweicloud CPI is ready to run BOSH and install

Cloud Foundry. The CI result will be displayed in each Huaweicloud CPI PR [5].

The project would follow a distributed committer model.

Project Lead:
Edward Lee
Initial Committers:
- ZhongJun (Huawei)
-Tommylikehu ( Huawei )

- LiuSheng  ( Huawei )

We are looking forward to your questions and comments.

Thanks,
JUN

Image removed by sender.

From: <cf-bosh@....org> on behalf of jun zhong <jun.zhongjun2@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21. August 2018 at 11:20
To: "cf-bosh@....org" <cf-bosh@....org>

[...]

Guillaume Berche

From: <cf-bosh@....org> on behalf of jun zhong <jun.zhongjun2@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21. August 2018 at 11:20
To: "cf-bosh@....org" <cf-bosh@....org>

[...]

Re: BOSH PMC refactoring part 2 – moving CPIs out of incubation

dhiraj mutreja

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 2:17 AM Marco Voelz <marco.voelz@...> wrote:

Dear friends of BOSH,

The BOSH project management committee (PMC) proposes to promote the most mature and widely used CPIs from incubation to full project status. Specifically, we want to promote these CPIs
  • AWS CPI [1]
  • OpenStack CPI [2]
  • VSphere CPI [3]
  • Google CPI [4]
  • Azure CPI [5]

Promoting the projects has some impact on their users, depending on how you consume the CPIs
  • We will move the repositories from the cloudfoundry-incubator to the cloudfoundry organization in github. Github takes care of redirecting from the old repository location to the new one, so all links and references to the old repositories should still work.
  • References on bosh.io currently include the github organization name [6]. In the past, there have been issues with people consuming outdated releases from bosh.io after they had been renamed or moved – we might need a similar mechanism of redirecting that github provides to avoid that.

Please reach out to by replying to this mail or contacting me personally if you have questions, concerns, or comments.

PS: cross-posted on cf-developers for greater reach and potential experiences about previous promotions from incubator to full project.

Re: BOSH PMC refactoring part 2 – moving CPIs out of incubation

Dr Nic Williams

Thanks Marco

From: <cf-bosh@...> on behalf of jun zhong <jun.zhongjun2@...>
Date: Tuesday, 21. August 2018 at 11:20
To: "cf-bosh@..." <cf-bosh@...>

[...]

It's great to see Huawei team contributing to the CloudFoundry community!

I work for Orange which has been running CloudFoundry on various openstack distributions using the openstack CPI for many years, including on the Huawei cloud powered Orange Flexible Engine [1] for the last 4 months. This occasionally required us to contribute fixes to the openstack-cpi or its fog dependency library [4].

The huaweicloud cpi's readme [2] mentions that enhancements (w.r.t. openstack CPI) lies in "Network: fully supporting huaweicloud network resources, including vpc, subnet, nic and so on."

I wonder where the associated documentation can be found: is there user-facing huawei specific properties that are exposed to cpi users ? I so far could only spot the example manifest into cf-deployment [3] and bosh-deployment [3b] forks but without apparent new properties w.r.t. openstack cpi reference doc [6]. I therefore wonder whether the huawei cpi is indeed offering support for new features, or rather accommodating for subtle openstack api incompatibilites which could potentially be handled through either better huawei cloud openstack api conformance, or contributions to the openstack cpi to make it more flexible to API response variations (like we did in [4]). Huawei usa contributor was offering to help with openstack testing in [7] which could potentially help.

Looking at the huaweicloud cpi's code, I'm concerned to see the proposed repos (openstack CPI, openstack validator, being completely forked without apparent convergence with the openstack CPI work, and worry about maintenance of this effort in the future, and feature parity with openstack-cpi.

I wonder whether the Huawei team has yet reached out to the openstack CPI team (e.g.on slack [8]) to discuss support for extensions in the cpi that potential Huawei differentiated features (beyond openstack standard) could leverage (in a similar fashion that the openstack  validator supports extensions [5]).

[4] https://github.com/fog/fog-openstack/issues/359

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 11:20 AM jun zhong <jun.zhongjun2@...> wrote:
[...]

Re: [cf-dev] [cf-bosh] Incubation proposal: CF Containerization

vlad.iovanov@...

Thank you for the great news Marco!

Cheers,

Vlad