Date

Links to Nabble archives of the CF lists

Aaron Huber

I've created Nabble archives of the CF lists here:

http://cf-bosh.70367.x6.nabble.com/
http://cf-dev.70369.x6.nabble.com/
http://cf-lattice.70370.x6.nabble.com/

The archives are searchable and allow web viewing of the mailing list without subscribing via email. There is also an RSS feed for each list.

Aaron

Re: Links to Nabble archives of the CF lists

Dieu Cao <dcao@...>

+1
Nice work Aaron!

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Huber, Aaron M <aaron.m.huber(a)intel.com>
wrote:

I’ve created Nabble archives of the CF lists here:

http://cf-bosh.70367.x6.nabble.com/

http://cf-dev.70369.x6.nabble.com/

http://cf-lattice.70370.x6.nabble.com/

The archives are searchable and allow web viewing of the mailing list
without subscribing via email. There is also an RSS feed for each list.

Aaron

Re: Links to Nabble archives of the CF lists

Chip Childers

Thanks Aaron!

Chip Childers | Technology Chief of Staff | Cloud Foundry Foundation

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Huber, Aaron M <aaron.m.huber(a)intel.com>
wrote:

I’ve created Nabble archives of the CF lists here:

http://cf-bosh.70367.x6.nabble.com/

http://cf-dev.70369.x6.nabble.com/

http://cf-lattice.70370.x6.nabble.com/

The archives are searchable and allow web viewing of the mailing list
without subscribing via email. There is also an RSS feed for each list.

Aaron

Re: [cf-dev] Links to Nabble archives of the CF lists

Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer@...>

+! nice job!

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
IBM Distinguished Engineer, CTO Open Cloud
IBM Software Group, Open Technologies
email: chrisfer(a)us.ibm.com
twitter: @christo4ferris
blog: http://thoughtsoncloud.com/index.php/author/cferris/
phone: +1 508 667 0402

From: Chip Childers <cchilders(a)cloudfoundry.org>
To: "Huber, Aaron M" <aaron.m.huber(a)intel.com>
Cc: "cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org"
<cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>,
"cf-lattice(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org"
<cf-lattice(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>,
"cf-bosh(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org"
<cf-bosh(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>
Date: 05/06/2015 01:51 PM
Subject: Re: [cf-dev] [cf-bosh] Links to Nabble archives of the CF lists
Sent by: cf-dev-bounces(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org

wrote:
I’ve created Nabble archives of the CF lists here:

http://cf-bosh.70367.x6.nabble.com/

http://cf-dev.70369.x6.nabble.com/

http://cf-lattice.70370.x6.nabble.com/

The archives are searchable and allow web viewing of the mailing list
without subscribing via email.  There is also an RSS feed for each list.

Aaron

Deploy CF Diego Release on OpenStack

王天青 <wang.tianqing.cn at gmail.com...>

Hi all,

When deploying Cloud Foundry on OpenStack using BOSH, there is a good
reference doc:
http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/deploying/openstack/install_cf_openstack.html.

For Diego release, is there any similar docs? If more specifically, is
there any sample deployment manifest file? Like cf-stub.yml, thanks.

Best Regards!

$ ./generate_deployment_manifest openstack cf-stub.yml > cf-deployment.yml

Issue on re-deploy to AWS - static IP already reserved/in use

Ed

Hi BOSH users!

We're running into an error when attempting to re-deploy a failing BOSH
deployment of CF to AWS:

`ha_proxy_z1/0' asked for a static IP 52.28.90.12 but it's already
reserved/in use

We're essentially doing the following:

* Allocate new EIP in AWS
* Generate manifest for CF with the EIP assigned to HA Proxy
* Run `bosh deploy` - this fails because we're hitting AWS API limits
* Run `bosh deploy` again - this now fails due to the above 'already
reserved' error

Is this the expected behaviour?
We've tried manually releasing the EIP in AWS and retrying the deployment,
but we still experience the 'already reserved' failure.

We're running BOSH version 1.2922.0 and have attached the relevant backtrace
from the debug log.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed and Gareth

aws-static-ip-already-reserved-debug.txt
<http://cf-bosh.70367.x6.nabble.com/file/n10/aws-static-ip-already-reserved-debug.txt>

Re: Issue on re-deploy to AWS - static IP already reserved/in use

Lev Berman

Have you terminated the previous Amazon HA Proxy instance? If not, this
might be the reason of the reserved IP error.

<
http://cf-bosh.70367.x6.nabble.com/file/n10/aws-static-ip-already-reserved-debug.txt

Lev Berman

Altoros - Cloud Foundry deployment, training and integration

Github
*: https://github.com/ldmberman <https://github.com/ldmberman>*

Re: Issue on re-deploy to AWS - static IP already reserved/in use

Dmitriy Kalinin

Was that IP previously assigned to a different VM (check via `bosh vms`)?

Currently BOSH does not allow to pick a static IP if it's already in use by
another VM. You could try putting it as a reserved IP, then doing bosh
deploy, and then assigning it as a static IP for the haproxy VM.

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 3:32 AM, Lev Berman <lev.berman(a)altoros.com> wrote:

[...]

Re: Deploy CF Diego Release on OpenStack

Dmitriy Kalinin

Might want to cross-post this to cf-dev.

.

For Diego release, is there any similar docs? If more specifically, is
there any sample deployment manifest file? Like cf-stub.yml, thanks.

Best Regards!

$ ./generate_deployment_manifest openstack cf-stub.yml > cf-deployment.yml

Re: Deploy CF Diego Release on OpenStack

王天青 <wang.tianqing.cn at gmail.com...>

Thanks.

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 1:13 AM Dmitriy Kalinin <dkalinin(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

Might want to cross-post this to cf-dev.

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 7:17 PM, 王天青 <wang.tianqing.cn(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all,

When deploying Cloud Foundry on OpenStack using BOSH, there is a good
reference doc:
http://docs.cloudfoundry.org/deploying/openstack/install_cf_openstack.html
.

For Diego release, is there any similar docs? If more specifically, is
there any sample deployment manifest file? Like cf-stub.yml, thanks.

Best Regards!

$ ./generate_deployment_manifest openstack cf-stub.yml > cf-deployment.yml

Re: Issue on re-deploy to AWS - static IP already reserved/in use

Alexander Lomov

We had the similar issue with AWS. In AWS pannel we couldn't find any
instance that used some IP address, still there was no ability to create an
instance with such IP. We got this bug after we redeployed cluster several
times.

I think it could be AWS problem, so the solution here will be to put this
IP addresses to the list of reserved IPs.

------------------------
Alex Lomov
*Altoros* — Cloud Foundry deployment, training and integration
*Twitter:* @code1n <https://twitter.com/code1n> *GitHub:* @allomov
<https://gist.github.com/allomov>

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 8:10 PM, Dmitriy Kalinin <dkalinin(a)pivotal.io> wrote:

[...]

Re: [cf-lattice] [cf-dev] Links to Nabble archives of the CF lists

James Bayer

aaron,

i added a page on the cf community wiki with your links:

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Christopher B Ferris <chrisfer(a)us.ibm.com>
wrote:

+! nice job!

Cheers,

Christopher Ferris
IBM Distinguished Engineer, CTO Open Cloud
IBM Software Group, Open Technologies
email: chrisfer(a)us.ibm.com
twitter: @christo4ferris
blog: http://thoughtsoncloud.com/index.php/author/cferris/
phone: +1 508 667 0402

[image: Inactive hide details for Chip Childers ---05/06/2015 01:51:38
PM---Thanks Aaron! Chip Childers | Technology Chief of Staff | C]Chip

From: Chip Childers <cchilders(a)cloudfoundry.org>
To: "Huber, Aaron M" <aaron.m.huber(a)intel.com>
Cc: "cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org" <cf-dev(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>, "
cf-lattice(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org" <cf-lattice(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>, "
cf-bosh(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org" <cf-bosh(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>
Date: 05/06/2015 01:51 PM
Sent by: cf-dev-bounces(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org
------------------------------

Thanks Aaron!

Chip Childers | Technology Chief of Staff | Cloud Foundry Foundation

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Huber, Aaron M <*aaron.m.huber(a)intel.com*
<aaron.m.huber(a)intel.com>> wrote:

I’ve created Nabble archives of the CF lists here:

*http://cf-bosh.70367.x6.nabble.com/*
<http://cf-bosh.70367.x6.nabble.com/>

*http://cf-dev.70369.x6.nabble.com/*
<http://cf-dev.70369.x6.nabble.com/>

*http://cf-lattice.70370.x6.nabble.com/*
<http://cf-lattice.70370.x6.nabble.com/>

The archives are searchable and allow web viewing of the mailing list
without subscribing via email. There is also an RSS feed for each list.

Aaron

OpenSSL v0.9.8 in CF Ruby Buildpack 1.4

Daya Sharma <dsharma@...>

Hi

There is a OpenSSL version/dependency mismatch as far as Ruby BuildPack and
Stemcells are concerned

Our bosh-lite environment is

*StemCell*:

Name: bosh-warden-boshlite-ubuntu-trusty-go_agent
Version: 2776
CID: 3241e75c-e0ae-4c81-4c3e-69ef5545dcfe
OpenSSL: 1.0.1f

*CF Ruby BuildPack*:

Version
​:​
1.4
OpenSSL: 0.9.8

*Gemfile*: here
<https://github.com/daya/active_merchant/blob/master/Gemfile> refers to
Ruby 2.2.2

*Problem*: When sourcing cf_buildpack followed by bundle install with
https://rubygems.orginvokes Ruby version 2.2.2 which is built against
OpenSSL version 0.9.8 but vm based on above mentioned StemCell has OpenSSL
version 1.0.0 causing *ruby app failures*.

Following are the relevant outputs from a jenkins CI job

-------> Buildpack version 1.4.0
-----> Compiling Ruby
-----> Using Ruby version: ruby-2.2.2
-----> Installing dependencies using 1.7.12
Running: bundle install --without none --path vendor/bundle
--binstubs vendor/bundle/bin -j4 --deployment
Could not load OpenSSL.
You must recompile Ruby with OpenSSL support or change the
sources in your
Gemfile from 'https' to 'http'. Instructions for compiling with
OpenSSL using
RVM are available at http://rvm.io/packages/openssl.
Bundler Output:
Could not load OpenSSL.
You must recompile Ruby with OpenSSL support or change the
sources in your
Gemfile from 'https' to 'http'. Instructions for compiling with
OpenSSL using
RVM are available at http://rvm.io/packages/openssl.

Steps to Reproduce:

Using file testing_openssl.rb

On VM

root(a)21d7bdc5-cbd5-4cdb-80cc-25c654549d3e:~#
/var/vcap/store/jenkins_slave/workspace/ruby-buildpack-test/vendor/ruby-2.2.2/bin/ruby
-v
ruby 2.2.2p95 (2015-04-13 revision 50295) [x86_64-linux]
root(a)21d7bdc5-cbd5-4cdb-80cc-25c654549d3e:~#
/var/vcap/store/jenkins_slave/workspace/ruby-buildpack-test/vendor/ruby-2.2.2/bin/ruby
-W2 /var/vcap/store/jenkins_slave/workspace/ruby-buildpack-test/testing_openssl.rb
/var/vcap/store/jenkins_slave/workspace/ruby-buildpack-test/testing_openssl.rb:9:
warning: assigned but unused variable - response
/var/vcap/store/jenkins_slave/workspace/ruby-buildpack-test/vendor/ruby-2.2.2/lib/ruby/2.2.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in
`require': libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory -
/var/vcap/store/jenkins_slave/workspace/ruby-buildpack-test/vendor/ruby-2.2.2/lib/ruby/2.2.0/x86_64-linux/openssl.so
(LoadError)
from /var/vcap/store/jenkins_slave/workspace/ruby-buildpack-test/vendor/ruby-2.2.2/lib/ruby/2.2.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in
`require'
from /var/vcap/store/jenkins_slave/workspace/ruby-buildpack-test/vendor/ruby-2.2.2/lib/ruby/2.2.0/openssl.rb:17:in
`<top (required)>'
from /var/vcap/store/jenkins_slave/workspace/ruby-buildpack-test/vendor/ruby-2.2.2/lib/ruby/2.2.0/net/http.rb:574:in
`start'
from /var/vcap/store/jenkins_slave/workspace/ruby-buildpack-test/testing_openssl.rb:5:in
`<main>'

root(a)21d7bdc5-cbd5-4cdb-80cc-25c654549d3e:~# apt-cache showpkg openssl
Package: openssl
Versions:
1.0.1f-1ubuntu2.7

Any ideas on how to best solve this problem.

Thanks,

-daya

Re: OpenSSL v0.9.8 in CF Ruby Buildpack 1.4

Daya Sharma <dsharma@...>

testing_openssl.rb mentioned previously is here
https://gist.github.com/daya/71a589f9b83f9ff57608

CloudFoundry Ruby Build Pack 1.4
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/ruby-buildpack/releases/tag/v1.4.0

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 1:32 AM, Daya Sharma <dsharma(a)cloudbees.com> wrote:

[...]

root(a)21d7bdc5-cbd5-4cdb-80cc-25c654549d3e:~# /var/vcap/store/jenkins_slave/workspace/ruby-buildpack-test/vendor/ruby-2.2.2/bin/ruby -W2 /var/vcap/store/jenkins_slave/workspace/ruby-buildpack-test/testing_openssl.rb
[...]

Mike Dalessio

Hi Daya,

I'm a bit confused, as it looks from your Gemfile like you're trying to
load a JRuby openssl gem while running MRI ruby.

What happens if you remove your dependency on the `jruby-openssl` gem?

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 12:24 PM, Daya Sharma <dsharma(a)cloudbees.com> wrote:

[...]

Hi Mike,

the line

```gem 'jruby-openssl', :platforms => :jruby ```

means jruby-openssl gem will be downloaded by bundler if and only if JRuby
platform is detected, I am using MRI not JRuby.

The OpenSSL error happens even before any dependency is downloaded or
resolved, it happens because Gemfile has this line

```source 'https://rubygems.org'``` to fulfill https needs system tries to
load OpenSSL 0.9.8 library which is not found on the virtual machine.

To further clarify the problem if I install OpenSSL 0.9.8 on the virtual
machine the problem disappears even though a higher version of OpenSSL
1.0.1f is already installed as shown in the log output.

-daya

wrote:

[...]

OK, that makes sense.

It sounds like you're installing the web app on the bare VM, and not in a
container rootfs. This isn't really a supported use case for the Buildpack,
which is going to make assumptions that you're running in either the
`lucid64` or `cflinuxfs` rootfs.

Can you explain a bit more about what you're trying to do, and why you're
using the ruby buildpack?

wrote:

[...]

We are running this ruby app on the container rootfs not on bare VM.

Our use case is built around our need to run Jenkins
<http://jenkins-ci.org/> Master and Slaves on different containers. The
build job is configured on Jenkins Master, and the build is then run on
Jenkins Slave. In this specific case the build job is configured for a MRI
Ruby project, the first step of that build job is to download the
dependencies using ```bundle install``` from https://rubygems.org followed
by running automated tests

CF Ruby Build Pack is used so that end user configuring the build job does
not have to install Ruby platform on the build slaves to run their ruby web
app and tests against it.

Please let me know if further explanation is needed.

Thanks,
-daya

wrote:

[...]

I can't reproduce what you're seeing in a rootfs container -- I reproduced
your Gemfile and the app deploys without error. I'm assuming this means
that I'm not accurately reproducing what you're doing.

Can you help me reproduce this without having to set up Jenkins? It still
sounds to me like you're running these processes on a stemcell, and not in
a container rootfs. If that's the case, you probably shouldn't be using the
buildpack.

-m

wrote:

[...]

Gareth Clay

Hi Dmitriy,

Thanks for the response and sorry for the slow reply! This is the output
from 'bosh vms' when we're in the EIP clash situation:

So it looks like BOSH knows that the HA proxy instance has already been
created and allocated the EIP. When we attempt the same deployment again, I
wondered if it would be possible for BOSH to determine 'okay, no work to do
here - this HA proxy instance is already in the state we want' and move on,
which is what it seems to do with instances which don't have EIPs attached?

Thanks,
Gareth and Ana