Date

Ironic CPI for bare metal provisioning

José Riguera López <jriguera at gmail.com...>

Hello people,

During last months I have been working on a CPI to manage OpenStack Ironic,
to be able to deploy physical servers via Bosh.

Initially it started as a kind of idea/hack "day" experiment just to learn, and still it has some limitations (mainly: sort of persistent disks, no bonding, no code tests) but now it is usable (and slow :-). You don't need the rest of OpenStack components in place, just standalone Ironic (which can also be used to deploy other servers directly) and it is easy to set-up.

I hope you can give a try and enjoy:
https://github.com/jriguera/bosh-ironic-cpi-release

--
José Riguera López <jriguera(a)gmail.com>

CF / Deployment AWS / China region (cn-north-1)

Sylvain Gibier

Hi,

With the "Great firewall of China" it's pretty impossible to download CF release within my VPC in China due to network bandwith and perpetual connection cut. Anyone has experience with installing CF in AWS China ?

Do we have maybe releases pushed to a dedicated S3 blobstore in cn-north-1 containing CF, diego releases ?

Sylvain

Re: BOSH / Deployment AWS / China region (cn-north-1)

Sylvain Gibier

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the reply - i figured out that - by default the bosh-init script was setting us-east-1 as zone when you were using s3 blobstore configuration.

Cheers,

Sylvain

Re: Stemcell builder fails in the bosh_go_agent stage

Danny Berger

Sounds like you may have forgotten to initialize the submodules in your
repository. Try executing `git submodule update --init` and running the
build again.

Otherwise, take a closer look in go/src/github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-agent
and see if anything is amiss.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Krishnan Ramanathan <krishnan(a)brkt.com>
wrote:

I am trying to build an Ubuntu Trusty stemcell from the develop branch. I
am following the instructions as documented at https://github.com/
cloudfoundry/bosh/blob/develop/bosh-stemcell/README.
md#building-the-stemcell-with-local-os-image. However it is consistently
failing on the "Building a stemcell" (https://github.com/
cloudfoundry/bosh/blob/develop/bosh-stemcell/README.md#building-a-stemcell)
step whether I try to use a locally built OS image or an OS image from the
S3 bucket.

I can send the full logs if required, however here is the main snippet
where it fails:

+ mv /mnt/stemcells/aws/xen/ubuntu/work/work/chroot/usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d.back
/mnt/stemcells/aws/xen/ubuntu/work/work/chroot/usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d
+ cp -a /mnt/stemcells/aws/xen/ubuntu/build/build/stages/bosh_go_agent/assets/alerts.monitrc
/mnt/stemcells/aws/xen/ubuntu/work/work/chroot/var/vcap/
monit/alerts.monitrc
+ agent_dir=/mnt/stemcells/aws/xen/ubuntu/build/build/stages/
bosh_go_agent/assets/go/src/github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-agent
+ cd /mnt/stemcells/aws/xen/ubuntu/build/build/stages/bosh_go_
agent/assets/go/src/github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-agent
+ bin/build
/mnt/stemcells/aws/xen/ubuntu/build/build/stages/bosh_go_agent/apply.sh:
line 30: bin/build: No such file or directory/opt/bosh/bosh-core/lib/bosh/core/shell.rb:52:in
`report'
/opt/bosh/bosh-core/lib/bosh/core/shell.rb:12:in `run'
/opt/bosh/bosh-stemcell/lib/bosh/stemcell/stage_runner.rb:79:in
`run_sudo_with_command_env'
/opt/bosh/bosh-stemcell/lib/bosh/stemcell/stage_runner.rb:50:in `block in
apply'
/opt/bosh/bosh-stemcell/lib/bosh/stemcell/stage_runner.rb:41:in `each'
/opt/bosh/bosh-stemcell/lib/bosh/stemcell/stage_runner.rb:41:in `apply'
/opt/bosh/bosh-stemcell/lib/bosh/stemcell/stage_runner.rb:25:in
`configure_and_apply'
/opt/bosh/bosh-stemcell/lib/bosh/stemcell/stemcell_builder.rb:23:in
`build'
/opt/bosh/bosh-dev/lib/bosh/dev/tasks/stemcell.rake:218:in `block (2
levels) in <top (required)>'
/opt/bosh/bosh-dev/lib/bosh/dev/tasks/stemcell.rake:158:in `block (2
levels) in <top (required)>'
Tasks: TOP => stemcell:build_with_local_os_image_with_bosh_release_tarball

When I check the /mnt/stemcells/aws/xen/ubuntu/build/build/stages/bosh_go_agent/apply.sh
directory, it is empty, which would explain the failure. Am I missing
something or do I need to update the apply.sh script? Do note that I have
tried building the stemcell using both the docker container as well as in
an AWS instance created via vagrant.

Thanks
Krishnan

--
Danny Berger

Stemcell builder fails in the bosh_go_agent stage

Krishnan Ramanathan

I am trying to build an Ubuntu Trusty stemcell from the develop branch. I am following the instructions as documented at https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/blob/develop/bosh-stemcell/README.md#building-the-stemcell-with-local-os-image. However it is consistently failing on the "Building a stemcell" (https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/blob/develop/bosh-stemcell/README.md#building-a-stemcell) step whether I try to use a locally built OS image or an OS image from the S3 bucket.

I can send the full logs if required, however here is the main snippet where it fails:

+ mv /mnt/stemcells/aws/xen/ubuntu/work/work/chroot/usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d.back /mnt/stemcells/aws/xen/ubuntu/work/work/chroot/usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d
+ cp -a /mnt/stemcells/aws/xen/ubuntu/build/build/stages/bosh_go_agent/assets/alerts.monitrc /mnt/stemcells/aws/xen/ubuntu/work/work/chroot/var/vcap/monit/alerts.monitrc
+ agent_dir=/mnt/stemcells/aws/xen/ubuntu/build/build/stages/bosh_go_agent/assets/go/src/github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-agent
+ cd /mnt/stemcells/aws/xen/ubuntu/build/build/stages/bosh_go_agent/assets/go/src/github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-agent
[...]

OpenSSL CVE

Molly Crowther <mcrowther@...>

Hello All,

If you get questions about the recent SSL CVE today - it is a high and the
BOSH team will be acting on it as soon as we have an Ubuntu update from
Canonical. I will reply with new stemcell version numbers when we have them.

http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-security/cve/2016/CVE-2016-6304.html

Molly Crowther
CFF Security Team

Re: when update the bosh director, bosh-init says "Address 10.0.0.6 is in use"

Danny Berger

This is often due to losing the director-state.json file that bosh-init
created after your initial deploy. That file keeps track of the existing
instance and disk CIDs. It uses those values during an update to cleanly
shut thing down your VM and reattach your disk afterwards.

Double check that you still have the state file or check out some recovery
suggestions from
https://bosh.io/docs/using-bosh-init.html#recover-deployment-state.

Danny

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 6:28 AM, Stanley Shen <meteorping(a)gmail.com> wrote:

I am having a bosh director deployed by bosh-init, which has the private
ip 10.0.0.6

Right now I am trying to upgrade the director to latest, and it keep saying

CPI 'create_vm' method responded with error:
CmdError{"type":"Unknown","message":"Address 10.0.0.6 is in
use.","ok_to_retry":false}

When I trying to run "bosh-init deploy ./director.yml", it's an update
operation, the address is taken up by itself.

What should I do about this, anyone met this issue too? the bosh-init
version is "version 0.0.80-a62aad7-2015-10-28T01:52:29Z"

Thanks in advance.
--
Danny Berger

Re: BOSH recreates VM

Stanley Shen <meteorping@...>

Thanks all for information.

when update the bosh director, bosh-init says "Address 10.0.0.6 is in use"

Stanley Shen <meteorping@...>

I am having a bosh director deployed by bosh-init, which has the private ip 10.0.0.6

Right now I am trying to upgrade the director to latest, and it keep saying

CPI 'create_vm' method responded with error: CmdError{"type":"Unknown","message":"Address 10.0.0.6 is in use.","ok_to_retry":false}

When I trying to run "bosh-init deploy ./director.yml", it's an update operation, the address is taken up by itself.

What should I do about this, anyone met this issue too? the bosh-init version is "version 0.0.80-a62aad7-2015-10-28T01:52:29Z"

Thanks in advance.

Multiple providers for user management in bosh director

Szymon Kodrebski

Is there a way to set a multiple providers for user management in bosh director? I want to specify a local admin user and other users authenticate via specified uaa servers. How should the manifest look like to achieve something like this:

properties:
director:
user_management:
provider: [uaa, local]
uaa:
urls: ["https://uaa1.example.com", "https://uaa2.example.com"]
local:
users:
- {name: admin, password: admin-password}

Re: BOSH recreates VM

Ronak Banka

Hi Lukas ,

Not that one 😅
This one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_knob

On Sun, Sep 18, 2016 at 9:31 PM, Lukas Lehner <weblehner(a)gmail.com> wrote:

what is a knob or knobs?

I think you don't mean that http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.
php?term=Knob

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 2:10 PM, ronak banka <ronakbanka.cse(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

Stanley ,

For now you can also turn few knobs on bosh health monitor

1. Increase agent poll timeout
<http://bosh.io/jobs/health_monitor?source=github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh&version=257.9#p=hm.intervals.agent_timeout>

2. Configure min jobs down
<http://bosh.io/jobs/health_monitor?source=github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh&version=257.9#p=hm.resurrector.minimum_down_jobs> along
with threshold
<http://bosh.io/jobs/health_monitor?source=github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh&version=257.9#p=hm.resurrector.percent_threshold> according
to size of your deployment.

Thanks
Ronak

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 5:15 PM, Voelz, Marco <marco.voelz(a)sap.com>
wrote:

Dear Stanley,

some days ago I opened a PR on bosh-agent [1] to send 2 heartbeats per
minute instead of only one. I agree that the resurrector kicking in after a
single heartbeat has been missed might be a bit problematic. Maybe that
already helps your case.

[1] https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-agent/pull/95

From: Stanley Shen <meteorping(a)gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday 13 September 2016 at 10:04
To: "cf-bosh(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org" <cf-bosh(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org>

[...]

This sounds like a generic AWS/API permissions error and not necessarily
specific to cn-north-1. Maybe double check your Access Key ID, Secret
Access Key, bucket configuration, and that your time/NTP is correctly
configured on your director?

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 1:15 AM, Sylvain Gibier <sylvain(a)munichconsulting.de

Anyone with experience on deploying CF on AWS/Beijing region with
bosh-init ?
I managed to get the director up and running

I'm having several issues other than the miserable inbound traffic into
the chinese region, but when trying to download BOSH release (CF, ...) and
some private releases (hosted in S3 Bucket) - I end up with the following
error:

"0: Failed to create object, S3 response error code InvalidAccessKeyId:
The AWS Access Key Id you provided does not exist in our records."

Any idea ? Any configuration I should be aware to allow AWS China ->
US-EAST-1 authorization?

Sylvain

PS:

BOSH Init configured with:
releases:
- name: bosh
url: https://bosh.io/d/github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh?v=250
- name: bosh-aws-cpi
url: https://bosh.io/d/github.com/cloudfoundry-incubator/bosh-
aws-cpi-release?v=41
--
Danny Berger

Re: Specifying Filesystem for Disk

Danny Berger

This behavior is hard-coded in the bosh-agent preinstalled by the stemcell
(code
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-agent/blob/develop/platform/linux_platform.go#L779).
Recent work has gone into mounting /tmp from the ephemeral disk and allow
larger disks (work https://www.pivotaltracker.com/story/show/117177967),
but there's not currently an option to switch it to the persistent disk.

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 3:40 AM, Steve Amerige <
linuxfoundation(a)serverscience.com> wrote:

I have a manifest.yml that includes:

resource_pools:
- name: common
network: default
stemcell:
name: bosh-vsphere-esxi-centos-7-go_agent
version: 3262.8
cloud_properties:
cpu: 2
disk: 614400
ram: 16384

When the VM is instantiated, I note that the disk space is allocated to
the /tmp filesystem. I have a /var/vcap/store filesystem that I would
rather have this disk space assigned to. Is this something that I can
address in the manifest file? Or, is this something inherent to the
stemcell? Or, is it something for which I have to go to the code that
builds the bosh resource? Or something else?

Many thanks,
Steve

--
Danny Berger

Re: Render jobs templates sequentially

Danny Berger

Hi - you can't currently define dependencies between jobs. monit has a very
primitive notion of dependencies, but they are not reliable with the
stemcell's monit. I think the recommended approach would be to add some
blocking to your startup scripts with logic about what they're depending on
(e.g. check to see if your dependency's port is open before continuing your
own startup). Another alternative is to avoid colocating services which are
dependent (in favor of using separate VMs).

Danny

On Fri, Sep 16, 2016 at 12:00 AM, Sundarajan Srinivasan <
sundarajan.s(a)gmail.com> wrote:

I am trying run multiple templates inside a single job, would like to know
if i can run it sequentially (i.e execute each template after it obtains
running status)

Thanks
Sundar

--
Danny Berger

Render jobs templates sequentially

Sundarajan Srinivasan

I am trying run multiple templates inside a single job, would like to know if i can run it sequentially (i.e execute each template after it obtains running status)

Thanks
Sundar

Re: Bosh scale up process

Fabio.Berchtold@...

Hi Sundar,

I think it depends on how the boshrelease you are using is set up.
If you have to change anything in the manifest / specs, then bosh will update all the old instances too because of these changes. Like if your database boshrelease does peer discovery through bosh-links or via IPs that are defined as spec.
If on the other hand you have a boshrelease where the peer discovery is done through some external means like etcd or consul, and no manifest / specs changes happen when you just increase the number of instances, then it will not update the existing vm instances, since it knows there is nothing to do.
I just confirmed it with our company-internal postgres boshrelease, while adding another slave node bosh did not update/touch the existing instances.

Regards
Fabio

Re: BOSH recreates VM

Ronak Banka