Date

CFF Working Groups: feedback and participants requested!

Eric Malm

Hi, everyone,

As we mentioned at CF Summit last week, the newly formed Technical Oversight Committee (TOC) is currently carrying out more and more of the details of the transition from the previous project-team and project management committee (PMC) structure to the working groups and community roles.

To that end, we have proposed an initial set of working groups on PR #140 on the community repo, together with how they will subsume the existing project teams and components. As a community, we now need to confirm the scope of each of these working groups, to staff them with leads and approvers, and to get them up and running with transparent development and roadmap processes. Consequently, we need a few things from the community now:
  • Please provide feedback on the overall working-group organizational structure.
  • Please provide suggestions for and feedback on the goals, scope, and technical assets for each proposed working group.
  • Please identify people in the community as candidates for approvers/leads in each working group, including yourselves if you already work in this area.
We're currently working out these details for the App Runtime Deployments working group as a pilot case, so if you care about cf-deployment, KubeCF, cf-for-k8s, or the overall community mandate to provide reference deployments of the App Runtime, now is the right time to get involved! The TOC would also like to complete this process for the complete set of working groups over the next few weeks, so if you're more focused on another area of the CF community, we need your involvement as well.

We invite everyone to join to discuss these working-group proposals at the public TOC meetings every Tuesday at 10:30 am ET, with details on the CF community calendar, and to provide feedback asynchronously on a particular proposed working group is the draft PR for its charter. Here is the full list of those charter PRs:
Please don't worry if you don't see a particular project listed here: it should be present in the PR content itself, and if it's not, the TOC wants to know about it!

Thanks,
Eric Malm, TOC member

CFF TOC Meetings

Chip Childers

All,

The newly elected CFF TOC will initially be meeting weekly, on Tuesdays at 14:30 UTC (7:30 AM US Pacific Time, 4:30 PM Central European Time).

These meetings are open to the entire community to attend, although I ask that you respect that the TOC will be setting the agenda and running the meeting.

The meetings will be recorded and posted to the foundation's youtube channel.

Chip Childers
Executive Director
Cloud Foundry Foundation

Re: [cf-dev] Update regarding Bionic Stemcells: Version 1.10 released from Foundation owned infrastructure

Benjamin Gandon

Congrats Felix and SAP team, and all other CFF contributors for this great achievement!

Benjamin

Le 17 juin 2021 à 17:16, Riegger, Felix via lists.cloudfoundry.org <felix.riegger=sap.com@...> a écrit :

Dear Cloud Foundry community,

The migration of the Stemcell release infrastructure and pipelines from VMWare to CloudFoundry Foundation owned accounts is mostly done. With Bionic Stemcell 1.10 the first Stemcell has been created and released with the new setup.

This is again a huge step forward to bring the Stemcell into the hands of the communitiy. Again a big thank you to everyone involved in this journey.

What has changed?

The new Stemcells are now published in Google Cloud Storage instead of AWS S3. This change uncovered a bug in the BOSH CLI, which has been fixed in the latest version. Please update to https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-cli/releases/tag/v6.4.4 to consume the latest Stemcells.

In the previous setup BOSH Acceptance Tests (BATS), IPv4 and IPv6 tests have been executed against a vSphere environment owned by VMWare. In the new setup these tests are executed in a GCP environment. Unfortunately, it was not possible to replicate the IPv6 tests to this environment. While we don't expect big changes in this area this implies that IPv6 might stop working at some point with newer Stemcells without us noticing. If this is important to you and you would like to contribute please reach out to discuss options.

Where can I access the new infrastructure?

The concourse is hosted on https://bosh.ci.cloudfoundry.org/ and runs on a GCP account of the CloudFoundry Foundation.

Where is the code?

The repositories for the pipeline definitions and the stemcell code itself have not changed. They can be found in https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-stemcells-ci and https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-linux-stemcell-builder.

Any assets regarding the Concourse setup live in https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh-community-stemcell-ci-infra.

Who can access the pipelines and contribute?

Any member of https://github.com/orgs/cloudfoundry/teams/bosh-stemcell can access and work with the pipeline as well as the relevant repositories. If you would like to become a contributor, please reach out.

Where can I follow?

Anything else?

As was announced by the CFF Security Working Group in https://www.cloudfoundry.org/blog/security-advisory-update/ CFF security advisories are now in place for Bionic Stemcells and the release of version 1.10 triggered the first advisories.

Kind regards,
Felix

Update regarding Bionic Stemcells: Version 1.10 released from Foundation owned infrastructure

Riegger, Felix

Work can be tracked in https://github.com/orgs/cloudfoundry/projects/4.

Anything else?

As was announced by the CFF Security Working Group in https://www.cloudfoundry.org/blog/security-advisory-update/ CFF security advisories are now in place for Bionic Stemcells and the release of version 1.10 triggered the first advisories.

Kind regards,

Felix

Re: 2021 CFF Technical Oversight Committee Election Results

Lee Porte <lee.porte@...>

Wow! Thank you to the community.

I'm looking forwards to getting started

Cheers

On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 at 13:53, Chip Childers <cchilders@...> wrote:

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to register and vote in the first Cloud Foundry Foundation annual election for our newly forming Technical Oversight Committee (TOC). I also extend my deep thanks to all of the nominees who agreed to run in the election. Overall, our community’s participation in this election process was outstanding (especially given that this was our first time doing this!)

And with that preamble, I’m pleased to announce our first CFF Technical Oversight Committee will be:

* Eric Malm (VMware)

* David Stevenson (VMware)

* Jan von Loewenstein (SAP)

* Stephan Merker (SAP)

* Lee Porte (GOV.UK)

Congratulations to Eric, David, Jan, Stephan and Lee! I’m looking forward to working with you to get the TOC up and running.

For transparency, more details have been published here: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/community/blob/main/toc/elections/2021/results.md

Chip Childers
Executive Director

Lee Porte
Reliability Engineer
GOV.UK PaaS Team
‪020 3920 6036‬
07785 449292

[...]

LAST CALL for CFF TOC election - Polling closes tomorrow

Chip Childers

Hi all!

A reminder for the community that this is the last call for the TOC election. We've had a solid response rate for qualified voters voting, but there are 37 incomplete ballots (people that authorized their email address, but have not yet actually voted).

I'll be closing the poll tomorrow, Tuesday June 15, at the end of the work day Pacific US time (around 5 PM US Pacific).

If you are a qualified voter and have any questions or concerns, please let me know ASAP!

Happy voting!

Chip Childers
Executive Director
Cloud Foundry Foundation

Re: [cf-dev] CFF TOC Election Starting

Chip Childers

Not until the 15th... ;)

Chip Childers
Executive Director
Cloud Foundry Foundation

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 8:40 AM 'Thun, Philipp' via open-service-broker-api <open-service-broker-api@...> wrote:

Count the votes!

SCNR,

Philipp

From: <cf-dev@...> on behalf of Chip Childers <cchilders@...>
Date: Tuesday, 8. June 2021 at 14:26
Subject: Re: [cf-dev] CFF TOC Election Starting

The CIVS site has an expired HTTPS certificate. It's a hosted, free, service... so there's nothing I can do about it at the moment. I've reached out to the service's owner at Cornell University.

Chip Childers

Executive Director

Cloud Foundry Foundation

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 9:48 PM Chip Childers <cchilders@...> wrote:

All,

The list of eligible voters for our TOC election has been finalized, and an initial instruction has been sent to the best available email address that we have in our systems for all eligible voters. If you are listed in the voters.md file, but did not receive your initial registration instructions, please reach out to me privately.

Unless we experience major technical or logistical issues, the election will run from now, until June 15th. That said, I ask that the community bear with us as we go through this first election cycle and sort out the processes. :)

The following individuals are listed as eligible voters, but I have been unable to determine their email addresses in our various systems. If anyone is able to provide me with their email addresses, please reply to me privately at cchilders@....

"Mo Sahihi Benis","SAP"
"Sebastian Vollath","SUSE"
"Shannon Coen","VMware"
"Sven Krieger","SAP"
"Urse Searle","VMware"
"Valentin Velkov","SAP"
"Yaron Parasol","VMware"
"Visarg Soneji","SAP"

Chip Childers

Executive Director

Re: CFF TOC Election Starting

Chip Childers

[...]

REMINDER: TOC Nomination Deadline is tomorrow

Chip Childers

Quick reminder that the deadline to nominate someone to the CFF TOC is tomorrow!

...or you can email me directly with the name of the person you would like to see on the ballot.

Executive Director
Cloud Foundry Foundation

Re: Call for Nominations: Cloud Foundry Foundation Technical Oversight Committee Election

Chip Childers

Of course there's a type in one of the embedded links... <facepalm>.

@Eric Malm was kind enough to point out that "voders" is not a thing.

Chip Childers
Executive Director
Cloud Foundry Foundation

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 1:53 PM Chip Childers <cchilders@...> wrote:

Call for Nominations: Cloud Foundry Foundation Technical Oversight Committee Election

(TL;DR - we are holding an election to create a TOC… members of the CFF technical community need to take a couple of actions. Check the “TODO” list at the bottom of this post.)

Overview:

As many members of the community are aware, a working group has been meeting regularly to propose changes to our community governance structure. Last week, the first major milestone in this work was reached when the Foundation’s Governing Board (GB) voted in favor of establishing a Technical Oversight Committee (TOC) to take the place of the PMC Council.

With that change now approved, we are kicking off the first TOC election cycle today.

This is the first step of what I expect to be a fairly complex realignment of how our technical community works day to day. There are many decisions still left to be made, but I am confident that a democratic election of the TOC will bring together community leaders that will be responsive and thoughtful when making these choices.

Why Change?

The Cloud Foundry Foundation was created after a long and difficult negotiation process amongst the founding member organizations. Many, many things have changed in our ecosystem in the (over) six years since that negotiation took place, but our community’s approach to decision making has stayed roughly the same.

When I took on the role as Executive Director in early 2020, my primary goal was to help the Foundation’s membership and the project’s community restructure how everyone works together. At the end of 2020, the Foundation completed a set of changes to the corporate structure that supports the technical community’s efforts. Today, we are taking a major step on the community side.

The community members that have been participating in this process have grounded their thinking on three key guiding principles: Transparency, Clarity and Inclusivity. Every change proposed is tied back to those principles, and every change going forward should do the same. I encourage everyone to take a moment to read more about what we mean by these principles.

Put simply, it is time to make participation in the project easier for everyone.

What’s this TOC Thing?

A Technical Oversight Committee will take the place of the PMC Council, but that is where the similarity ends. The CFF TOC will be a democratically elected group of community members that represent you, the community.

The TOC is responsible for the oversight, direction, and delivery of technical aspects of the Cloud Foundry projects and working groups. Most importantly, the role of the TOC should be to enable the community to do good work in an open and transparent way, while helping to maintain the integrity of the project used by so many organizations around the world.

The first TOC election will be structured to elect five TOC members. Using the results of the election, the two nominees with the highest number of votes will have two year terms. The next three nominees, by number of votes, will have an initial term of one year.

The second TOC election will be held a year after the initial election. During that second election cycle, the three TOC members with initial one year terms will be at the end of their initial terms. Those TOC seats will be up for election during that second TOC election. An election will be held every year after that, with either two or three TOC seats being up for election each cycle.

The work of the TOC should become easier over time, but this first TOC will be asked to continue the hard work transforming how technical collaboration happens.

Who Gets To Participate?

TOC Eligibility:

The rules for eligibility to be a member of the TOC include specific community roles, which don’t exist yet. As such, eligibility to be nominated for the TOC during the first election will be:

Community members who are currently PMC Leads, Project Leads or committers within any PMC or project. Each member organization of the CFF can also nominate one additional person not meeting these criteria as a candidate for the first TOC election.

Eligible Voters:

If you are a member of the Cloud Foundry technical community, you have a role to play here. Any individual who has contributed to CFF projects or technical working groups in the twelve months prior to the election is eligible to vote in the TOC election.

Contributions include, but are not limited to, opening PRs, reviewing and commenting on PRs, opening and commenting on issues, writing design docs, commenting on design docs, participating in mailing list discussions and participating in working groups.

Timeline:

  • May 11 - Announcement of Election and Call for Nominations

  • May 11 through May 28 - Candidate nomination period

  • June 1 - Election Begins via email ballots

  • June 15 - Election Closes

  • June 17 - Results Announced

TODO (What you need to do):

  1. Check the voter list: Each election cycle, we will use automated reporting to try to gather a list of eligible voters. The reporting will be imperfect, given the definition of eligibility being so broad. If you want to vote, or if you want to nominate someone for the TOC, please check for your name in the list. If you are not on the list, just submit an issue using this template. The deadline is May 28th to be added to the voter list.

  1. Nominate TOC candidates: Every eligible voter can nominate candidates for the TOC, and we encourage you to do so. If you are eligible to serve on the TOC, you can self nominate! If you want to nominate someone else, do so as well! You can nominate someone for the TOC by submitting an issue using this template. The deadline is May 28th to be nominated (and for the nominee to indicate acceptance).

More information on the election process can be found in the 2021 TOC election guide.

Final Thoughts:

This will be our first time running this process as a community, so please bear with us if there are any hiccups or issues. The CFF staff will be here to make the process as smooth as possible, and will err on the side of “get it right” vs. “get it done on schedule”. I also expect that we will change the operational processes we use to support the election after this first cycle. As we always share with Cloud Foundry end users, plan to iterate. :)

I know that I speak for everyone that has been involved in the technical governance process over the last several months when I say that this should be an exciting time for the community. We have come very far over the years, but have so much further to go.

Feel free to reach out directly to me if you have any questions, concerns or issues.

Executive Director
Cloud Foundry Foundation

[...]

Re: [cf-dev] Update regarding Bionic Stemcells: Version 1.1 released for GA!

Eric Malm

Congratulations, Marco and everyone else who has contributed to the Bionic stemcell effort! Great to see the new line get all the way to GA!

Best,
Eric

From: cf-bosh@... <cf-bosh@...> on behalf of bguttmann via lists.cloudfoundry.org <bguttmann=anynines.com@...>
Date: Thursday, 29. April 2021 at 10:11
To: cf-bosh@... <cf-bosh@...>
Subject: Re: [cf-bosh] Update regarding Bionic Stemcells: Production readiness

Hi Marco,

thanks for the update.
Just if someone is interested we adjusted the prometheus-bosh-release to fix some minor grafana issues we saw with bionic stemcell. Afterwards we were able to successfully run concourse-bosh-release + prometheus-bosh-release with bionic stemcell.

Greetings,
Benjamin