Re: Any downsides to ELB 443 running in Secure TCP mode?

Dr Nic Williams

Unfortunately the employees are behind a firewall that only allows egress 80 and 443; they don't have a particular dislike to 4443. They dislike all of the ports :)

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Mike Jacobi <sushiandbeer(a)outlook.com>
wrote:

Point being: If you want or need to keep 443 as HTTPS, perhaps you can find another allowed egress port and move wss there.
From: sushiandbeer(a)outlook.com
To: cf-bosh(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 16:45:44 -0700
Subject: [cf-bosh] Re: Any downsides to ELB 443 running in Secure TCP mode?
I ran into the same issue. My solution was to run wss on 8080. Yes, it's weird to run SSL on 8080, but it was allowed out the firewall.
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 22:30:03 -0700
From: drnic(a)starkandwayne.com
To: cf-bosh(a)lists.cloudfoundry.org
Pivotal WS runs behind ELBs that pipe websockets traffic through port 4443 in Secure TCP mode - because ELBs in HTTPS mode do not respect the websocket handshake upgrade.
We tried running port 443 in Secure TCP and avoid the additional port 4443 (which cannot be accessed from inside client company's network - they only allow outbound access to :80 and :443).
And it works.
What are the downsides to running :443 as Secure TCP rather than HTTPS?
Nic

Join cf-bosh@lists.cloudfoundry.org to automatically receive all group messages.