During the Cloud Foundry board meeting which happened right after the European Cloud Foundry summit in Basel there was a request to the Cloud Foundry Technical Advisory Board (TAB) to come up with ideas around
a closer integration of Cloud Foundry and Kubernetes.
While there is the well-established Kubo effort to manage Kubernetes clusters using BOSH, a group of Cloud Foundry platinum member companies comprising of (in alphabetical order) IBM, SAP, and SUSE felt that
we as a community could do more with respect to integrating Cloud Foundry and Kubernetes. In the last few weeks, colleagues from these three companies have started creating ideas and project proposals which are now in a shape so that we can share them with
the broader Cloud Foundry community to solicit feedback:
- Cloud Foundry/Kubernetes Integration Scenarios
- Goal: Integrate a Cloud Foundry deployment and one/many Kubernetes clusters, no matter how they were created
- Lead: Bernd Krannich (SAP)
- On this document Swisscom also provided their inputs
- Also, while above document lists potential projects there is already a first project proposal around an
Open Service Broker Catalog for which we are also seeking feedback
- Cloud Foundry Orchestrator Provider Interface
- Goal: Provide an API inside Cloud Foundry to allow switching the scheduling layer for Cloud Foundry Applications to be K8S
- Lead: Simon Moser (IBM)
- Containerizing Cloud Foundry
- Goal: With topic #2 completed, deploy the remaining Cloud Foundry control plane components (UAA, Cloud Controller, …) as Pods on Kubernetes
- Lead: Vlad Iovanov (SUSE)
People from the three companies can jointly say that it was great to see a collaborative effort resulting in what we think is a promising direction for Cloud Foundry overall.
We’d love to hear your thoughts so please make sure to leave comments and feedback in the respective documents or send us general feedback over cf-dev.
Thanks in advance,
Simon Moser (IBM), Bernd Krannich (SAP), Vlad Iovanov (SUSE) in the name of the colleagues from these three companies who put effort into the topic
SAP Cloud Platform
Dietmar-Hopp-Allee 16, 69190 Walldorf, Germany
Pflichtangaben/Mandatory Disclosure Statement: www.sap.com/impressum
Diese E-Mail kann Betriebs- oder Geschäftsgeheimnisse oder sonstige vertrauliche Informationen enthalten. Sollten Sie diese
E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, ist Ihnen eine Kenntnisnahme des Inhalts, eine Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe der E-Mail ausdrücklich untersagt. Bitte benachrichtigen Sie uns und vernichten Sie die empfangene E-Mail.
This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged, undisclosed, or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this e-mail in error, you are hereby
notified that any review, copying, or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us immediately and destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your cooperation.