Re: Elixir for bosh director?

Marco Voelz

Dear Leandro,

I'd love to see your experiment grow – keep in mind that the Director is around for quite a while and has some pretty complicated corner cases. Just like any rewrite: It is pretty simple to get 80% right, but then you'll spend much time on getting the remaining 20%.

A word on the license: If your target audience is really companies like IBM, don't go with GPL. I now that for example GPL is a no-go for us at SAP. I would assume a similar policy is in place in pretty much every big enterprise.

Warm regards

From: Leandro David Cacciagioni <leandro.21.2008(a)>
Reply-To: "Discussions about the Cloud Foundry BOSH project." <cf-bosh(a)>
Date: Thursday, 27. April 2017 at 19:57
To: "Discussions about the Cloud Foundry BOSH project." <cf-bosh(a)>
Subject: [cf-bosh] Re: Re: Elixir for bosh director?

OK what you quote is certainly amazing, anyway that only tackle the Scalability in part (I know for sure that elixir/erlang can hold the same a lot better) but it didn't solve the Fault Tolerance part or the true no downtime deployments (I know that people like IBM will love to update BOSH with true / zero downtime). Plus all the simplification in the Director logic that can come from using the proper tool for the right job. Anyway I think I'll start a POC as under GPL license to make a compatible "BOSH director" using elixir. Anyone who will like to help more than welcomed.

2017-04-27 17:59 GMT+02:00 Geoff Franks <geoff(a)<mailto:geoff(a)>>:
FWIW, we've managed BOSHes with many deployments, some of which consist of ~1000 VMs, and not seen any direct performance issues of the BOSH director. Just lengthy deploys due to having so many VMs to iterate through.

I've also seen a significant uptick in responsiveness from the bosh cli when using the v2 cli, since ruby isn't parsing for tons of gemfiles every time I start the CLI up.

On Apr 27, 2017, at 9:01 AM, Leandro David Cacciagioni <leandro.21.2008(a)<mailto:leandro.21.2008(a)>> wrote:

After more than 6 months working with elixir in prod, it crossed my mind that maybe it deserves some time of experiment and think on the possibility of a TOTAL REWRITE OF BOSH DIRECTOR USING ELIXIR.
Some of the pros that I can list out of the box (without digging to much in the technical side) are:
· Ruby like syntax (I know I know... This means a lot for people that don't like erlang syntax) (I'm used to both so far)
· Easiness of development thanks to OTP & FP.
o Scalability (ex:
o Fault-tolerance
o True no downtime updates.
· Simplification:
o nats can be deprecated.
o All the other jobs (Director, Registry, Blobstore, HM & CPI) can to be OTP/Apps (Mix powered) under the same umbrella project.
o Clustering out of the box
· Perfomance wins, giving the nature of elixir/erlang/OTP is easy to guess that a single bosh instance will gonna be able to manage more deployments and bigger deployments than it does now.
This is a suggestion and I would like to know if you agree or don't and why.


Join to automatically receive all group messages.